ADVERTISEMENT

Less radical coaching change

I don’t think it even matters who the interim hc is at this point. There are only 6(?) games left. I can’t imagine that a complete cleaning of house isn’t right around the corner.

I don’t think it even matters who the interim hc is at this point. There are only 6(?) games left. I can’t imagine that a complete cleaning of house isn’t right around the corner.
True, but a few more wins and a run in the tournament and you never know. A lot of talent is being wasted this year. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but it's the ONLY chance.

True, but a few more wins and a run in the tournament and you never know. A lot of talent is being wasted this year. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but it's the ONLY chance.

A run in the tournament? UTEP hasn't won a game in over a month. You think this will be fixed overnight?

I doubt they will make C-USA tourney.

Go Miners...

They probably will. UTEP is tied for 12th place right now with Rice and if UTEP beats Rice again they will win the tiebreaker. Rice and Charlotte are even worse than UTEP, so unless Rice and Charlotte get hot all of a sudden UTEP will probably be the 12th place team.

The real season is just about to start, though. That's if they make the conference tournament.

There's no difference between seeds 5-12.

The real season is just about to start, though. That's if they make the conference tournament.

There's no difference between seeds 5-12.

Until the UTSA game I was hanging on to the hope that we’d squeak into the tournament and put a little run together, however, I honestly just don’t think it’s going to happen. The guys go out and fight most nights, but even this far towards the end of the season, we just haven’t grown much, if any, as a team. I don’t know...maybe I’ll end up being wrong.

This isn’t Liga MX, you don’t change coaches like you change your underwear. Season is done, best case scenario we make the conference tourney and get bounced early on. Let the AD worry about compiling a list of candidates as opposed to firing the interim with 6 games left.

This isn’t Liga MX, you don’t change coaches like you change your underwear. Season is done, best case scenario we make the conference tourney and get bounced early on. Let the AD worry about compiling a list of candidates as opposed to firing the interim with 6 games left.
Lol. As someone who watches a ton of soccer this post is great.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

I was espousing that very thing until very recently, but now I just don’t think that’s gonna happen, man.

I was kind of hoping Willms could come back and be effective, similar to last year. Unfortunately, the team hasn't been able to make up for the loss of Artis, either statistically or in leadership. In my opinion, Harris has missed his running mate the most. This year's team struggles for long times on offense, and is way too spotty on defense. The new guys are way too inconsistent; and the staff hasn't done them any favors with the constant changes in rotation. I just don't see it happening.

Lol. As someone who watches a ton of soccer this post is great.

So you know what I’m saying? We can’t hire/fire coaches every time we hit the skids? There has to be some sort of continuity. Right now we just need Johnson to do his best and go down with the ship a la Mike Price. Next season will be a new start.

Reactions: El Paso 777
So you know what I’m saying? We can’t hire/fire coaches every time we hit the skids? There has to be some sort of continuity. Right now we just need Johnson to do his best and go down with the ship a la Mike Price. Next season will be a new start.
I hear what you are saying, but basketball and football scenerios are different. In basketball we have a lot of talent, and momentum can change on a dime (ala last year). If we win our conference tourny we are in the dance, period.

I don't think Johnson should be fired. I suggested he should step down and give the other coaches a chance. Its the only chance for the team.

I'm bettin Jim Senter already has list compiled and maybe even beyond just a list.

Here’s a question for old timers. Has UTEP ever surpassed expectations and won the auto bid? I’m trying to figure out if we had a bad season, stumbled into the conference tournament as an 8-12 seed, and won the whole thing.

You were thinking exactly what I was thinking... wouldn't it be hilarious and Uteps luck that they stumble into the tournament get hot win it and go dancing and then all of a sudden they almost have to keep the coach and it's all downhill from there that would be uteps luck

Here’s a question for old timers. Has UTEP ever surpassed expectations and won the auto bid? I’m trying to figure out if we had a bad season, stumbled into the conference tournament as an 8-12 seed, and won the whole thing.

The lowest seed that UTEP finished where they got into the Big Dance was a 4th seed in 1988.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
Bad teams don’t win tournaments.
images

Reactions: EPTUTEP
You were thinking exactly what I was thinking... wouldn't it be hilarious and Uteps luck that they stumble into the tournament get hot win it and go dancing and then all of a sudden they almost have to keep the coach and it's all downhill from there that would be uteps luck
Have you seen this team play? There is almost zero chance of that happening. And if it did happen, why would we have to keep Phil Johnson?

Reactions: El Paso 777
Trust me I HAVE seen this team play and they wouldn't have to keep anyone but I think it would be just uteps luck for that to happen

Lowest I can remember was UTEP winning as a 4 seed in 1990. That team was 18-10 or so going into the tournament

Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
Lowest I can remember was UTEP winning as a 4 seed in 1990. That team was 18-10 or so going into the tournament

Answer was already provided. They were tied for 3rd place in 1990.

I would be surprised if UTEP wins 1 game in the CUSA tournament.

Last edited:

Despite the mediocre record, that was a good Miner team. Pretty sure that’s the year they barely lost to Minnesota, who reached the Elite 8 and narrowly missed the final 4.

Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
That was a talented team that somewhat underachieved. Davis, Maxey and Foster all eventually went to the NBA. Mark McCall was a Globetrotter. Preseason predictions had them as a Sweet 16 hopeful. That was the year Stormin' Norman ran the team for a long stretch of time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT