ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

He's no Billy G. Terry's got a ways to go before cashing out.
Of course, but look at his recruiting pattern. He’s not going the long build a strong foundation route. In his mind his goal is to produce the biggest one year turnaround in college basketball history. That should be enough to lure a few P school interviews. At the moment things aren’t going as planned.

The others though were easy to see though... terry wanted his players and then his freshman came in and saw they were the worst players probably on the team and did not want to wait for playing time...all of the names on that list is about playing time with the only interesting one being lathon
Wenzel upgraded to a P5 school. It should seem harder to play at UTAH than UTEP. Gilyard is better than Hawkins and Lathon. Like I said, I sure hope Terry is successful here, but there has been an awful lot of turnover in the 1.5 seasons Terry has been here.

If you look at it it’s not bad move for us because it should spread out our classes a bit better.. we had such a huge sophomore class this is not a bad thing in my opinion

Reactions: unihorn
Wonder what Tarke was in the doghouse for. One does not go from 11th man getting 4-6 minutes a game a couple weeks ago to starter overnight just because one guy leaves the team.

Hopefully things have settled and we can start developing some much needed roles and chemistry. Aside from Williams, Edwards and Boum, roles are largely undefined as far as I can tell.

Yeah terry sounds like he understands (doesn’t necessarily agree with it ) but sounds like he knows how to deal with it....

Except that it doesn’t. One guy blamed the process for his program’s decline, whereas one is taking total responsibility for the situation and talking about constantly adapting to the current landscape. BIG difference, imo.
To add, Terry is losing players cuz the transfers he’s bringing in are driving the weaker ones out.

P.s: I’m glad you’re able to discern Tarkes playing time wasn’t cuz Terry doesn’t know how to evaluate talent.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Except that it doesn’t. One guy blamed the process for his program’s decline, whereas one is taking total responsibility for the situation and talking about constantly adapting to the current landscape. BIG difference, imo.
I pass no judgement either way, my statement was just that it sounds familiar (i.e. using the transfer culture as a reason).

Reactions: Autograph Boy
To add, Terry is losing players cuz the transfers he’s bringing in are driving the weaker ones out.

P.s: I’m glad you’re able to discern Tarkes playing time wasn’t cuz Terry doesn’t know how to evaluate talent.
Maybe Terry thought he was the Big Dog and everything would be handed to him. He was highly sought over in the transfer market. Now maybe he's humbled.

Honestly, this team is gonna have a rough go at it for the remainder of the year. Unless you have mac mcclung to pick up the slack like Georgetown, then you can't expect this shit show to end well.

We have a team that's in perpetual flux, with players going, staying, or whatever the hell is happening on any given week now. We'll now have to utilize a new lineup with different substitutions, and we'll have a bunch of players who've had limited minutes now trying to form chemistry and excel at a high level.... all before conference play...

Nope... these things don't end well for just about any program, and that goes double for a program like us...

I think tarke was playing a bit out of position
The move from an interior player to a wing is extremely difficult. It sounds like that idea has been scrapped to allow Tarke to play the undersized PF spot. Presumably, this means Williams will play the Center spot. I'm not sure how well Tarke will hold up defensively versus a true four. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Reactions: miner1liner
I pass no judgement either way, my statement was just that it sounds familiar (i.e. using the transfer culture as a reason).

Eh, I didn’t think you were passing judgement. All across the cbb landscape there is a “transfer epidemic” so that is the common thread and does sound familiar. The responses to afore mentioned epidemic are vastly different between CTF and CRT, though. That’s all.

Reactions: miner1liner
Eh, I didn’t think you were passing judgement. All across the cbb landscape there is a “transfer epidemic” so that is the common thread and does sound familiar. The responses to afore mentioned epidemic are vastly different between CTF and CRT, though. That’s all.

Why isn't this happening at NMSU? They just won yesterday by 74 points.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The move from an interior player to a wing is extremely difficult. It sounds like that idea has been scrapped to allow Tarke to play the undersized PF spot. Presumably, this means Williams will play the Center spot. I'm not sure how well Tarke will hold up defensively versus a true four. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

I think he will do well. We had 6’7” Winn guarding the 5 a few seasons ago and he at least held his own. Tarke has a similar body type. I think his strength and explosiveness will makeup for lack of height. He sure plays more like a 4 than a 3.

Honestly, this team is gonna have a rough go at it for the remainder of the year. Unless you have mac mcclung to pick up the slack like Georgetown, then you can't expect this shit show to end well.

We have a team that's in perpetual flux, with players going, staying, or whatever the hell is happening on any given week now. We'll now have to utilize a new lineup with different substitutions, and we'll have a bunch of players who've had limited minutes now trying to form chemistry and excel at a high level.... all before conference play...

Nope... these things don't end well for just about any program, and that goes double for a program like us...
I know you’re right a lot of times about a lot of things. I hope this isn’t one of them.

I think back to gamble gate and I saw the team improve after those three were gone. I’m praying this is a similar situation.

If I remember correctly you were one of the ones unhappy with our starting line up. Two players that many felt deserved to start will now be starting. I don’t see why this new improved lineup would stop the team from bonding. Imo we’re about to see the team we all fantasized about during the off-season.

Why isn't this happening at NMSU? They just won yesterday by 74 points.

And you watched every minute:

giphy.gif

To be honest, I don’t know. As plugged in to the happenings at NMSU as you seem to be, I’m sure you can tell us, though.

I have no clue either. I follow them just to see how they're doing. They scored 60 points in the first half and have all their injured players back. I can't recall NMSU losing key players every year. Just don't get it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I’ll tell you guys why, and it’s pretty shocking.

NMSU is pretty much an annual participant in the NCAAs. They win their conference and their conference tournament is in Las Vegas.

UTEP is lucky to be considered for any tournament. They definitely don’t win their conference and their conference tournament is in Dallas, inside of a practice football field.

Which is more appealing???!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I’ll tell you guys why, and it’s pretty shocking.

NMSU is pretty much an annual participant in the NCAAs. They win their conference and their conference tournament is in Las Vegas.

UTEP is lucky to be considered for any tournament. They definitely don’t win their conference and their conference tournament is in Dallas, inside of a practice football field.

Which is more appealing???!

To you, sucking dick is more appealing.

I had some concerns watching the Hawaii games on tv. Real bad body language on the floor at times. Chemistry seemed off. No communication on defense giving up embarrassing plays under the basket several times that last game. Bad spacing. Seems like with adding Archie and shortening the rotation even more destroyed a bit of the chemistry. I hope they all stay....this over recruiting shit has got to stop.
On over recruiting......This is 2019 not 1987.

Reactions: unihorn
....Rodney Terry has been doing shady "basketball operations" things at UTEP since he took over, not like NCAA violations stuff, but just know that this transfer thing actually started when the coaching changes happened in the off season, and the current transfer dilemma is another direct product of Rodney Terry's way of doing things in my opinion. He's right about the NCAA transfer problems, I was in the room when Floyd came at my boy Kappy, but this current issue is a UTEP controlled issue started by Terry being shady again. If I can find more info or proof, I'll spill it on here, but he's full of it when he says the sky is not falling.

Three of your top guards were about to book it, and you scream and plead to the media that you're excited for conference play and that the sky isn't falling?!?!

Something doesn't smell right with Terry anymore.....his body language and tone was worrisome during this media exchange, usually he's calm and cool, this is a very uncomfortable thing to talk about and he's clearly acting like it....bout to see if the team is fully bought in on their head coach over the next three months......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT