ADVERTISEMENT

Miner basketball -- what's the solution

I think it's possible with the transfer portal to have a random stroke of luck maybe now and then. Maybe win a bunch of games one season or get lucky and win the CUSA tourny. But then what? We will likely never have another team that could win 2-3 games in the NCAA Tournament or win the NIT. It's nothing sustainable.

With today's model UTEP would have to brand itself as a top stepping stone for transfers to power 5 schools or step out on a limb and hire a proven coach/recruiter who is trying to get back into the game.

If (and it's a big if) there is ever any further success for UTEP basketball then our admin would have to jump on and do whatever they can to keep it going.

Last edited:
We all hate where the team has fallen over the last 10 years. How do we return to our 2004-2011 form, or is that realistically never happening again.
In the short term, I think Golding needs to add 3 legit difference maker guard/forward options, including a PG (NIL), similar to when BCG brought in Fili and OT. He needs to keep the 4/5 guys from this years team that have been mentioned, with the focus on retaining Solomon and Onyema. That team would compete very well in the new CUSA. Hopefully, a couple of the young guys he already signed can contribute as well as immediate role players.

Obviously, it is easier said than done, but if he can win in the short term, it may instill some confidence in the program that winning is still possible at UTEP. In a best case scenario, UTEP could become the NMSU of the last ten years. A dominant team, in a bad conference, that makes the tourney on a regular basis; able to overcome a revolving door of coaches.

Last edited:
Easy, we need LOTS of money. To update our facilities, to bring in and keep better recruits, to bring in better coaches and staff, and an administration that has the vision to see that spending money on athletics will be a return on investment to the university. We need to buy our way out of CUSA and into a better conference.

Easy, we need LOTS of money. To update our facilities, to bring in and keep better recruits, to bring in better coaches and staff, and an administration that has the vision to see that spending money on athletics will be a return on investment to the university. We need to buy our way out of CUSA and into a better conference.

I would think we are a half billion from being relevant

UTEP needs to decide what they want or going to be. Paying basketball coaches $700k and finishing in next to last place, is idiotic. You can achieve the same results paying someone $300k. You can also keep them around for 5-6 years if you feel it’s deserved.

Changing conferences isn’t an option, unless you’re “downgrading”, but that’s unlikely because of the football program. At this point, UTEPs only shot at the MWC is them being desperate, as CUSA was 16 months ago. UTEP can barely compete in CUSA, so anyone who believes we would do better in the MWC is Fili-level stupid.

Well you’re in luck. A major donation just came into the university

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Unless the UTEP President and AD are all in and UTEP finds deep pockets somewhere, it will stay the same. This administration is running an athletic program on the cheap. Good coaches cost money and now with NIL, good players cost money. Money is something that UTEP is not flush in.

We are an athletic program that is competing (high school analogy here) in Class 6A and should be in Class 4A. Instead of students determining which class you are in, it is Money making that determination in the NCAA.

UTEP needs money, and it needed it 20 years ago. They are 30 years removed from their last NCAA Tournament win. That 92 team was only 26 years removed from the 66 team when they went on their run. Can we really say UTEP is a basketball school?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
We all hate where the team has fallen over the last 10 years. How do we return to our 2004-2011 form, or is that realistically never happening again.
Por enésima vez: Fire Golding Effective IMEDIATELY and hire Billy Giliispie. He proved already proved he can have the job done.

Por enésima vez: Fire Golding Effective IMEDIATELY and hire Billy Giliispie. He proved already proved he can have the job done.

Billy Gillispie had a good 6 year run but really hasn’t been effective in a long time.

I was listening to one of the morning radio shows and one of the guys said something interesting about hiring a Coach, I want to say he was talking about North Carolina.

Anyway, he said, history has shown that the guy who is hired because of one good NCAA tournament hardly ever works out, the guy who has been in the grind and solid over time is the guy you want.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Dumb. Not only has he had major problems with the sauce but he’s in his 60s. There’s a reason no D1 school wants him.
No not dumb, his major problems have been health issues but he already PROVED to be very successful here, he was also very successful at A&M, then stumbled at Kentucky that wasn't the place for him. I don't care if his in his 60's, he can still do it. But if you say it's dumb, please tell me what head coach has been more successful at UTEP besides Haskins ?

BG was special once upon a time , but he is nothing like he use to be. He hasn’t done anything special in the WAC in 3 years, and he won’t do anything special here.
We need to find the next BG or Barbee. Both BG and Barbee were top assistant coaches when we hired them.
UTEP needs to go back to what has worked in the past and that is hiring a top assistant coach.

Last edited:
No not dumb, his major problems have been health issues but he already PROVED to be very successful here, he was also very successful at A&M, then stumbled at Kentucky that wasn't the place for him. I don't care if his in his 60's, he can still do it. But if you say it's dumb, please tell me what head coach has been more successful at UTEP besides Haskins ?

He had a nice little run at Ranger College but he has a losing record at Tarleton St. His last major success was in 07 at A&M and given his age and health issues he can’t be viewed as a long term replacement. Now, in a perfect world UTEP should be targeting some young up and coming assistant from a major program, in the Billy G mold. Someone who’s going to come in, work like a psychopath, bring in all his connections and work to rebuild this program. Nowadays UTEP would probably have to pay a premium for a coach like that given the state of the basketball team and the facilities, especially since we don’t have Don Haskins to butter these coaches up.

Unless the UTEP President and AD are all in and UTEP finds deep pockets somewhere, it will stay the same. This administration is running an athletic program on the cheap. Good coaches cost money and now with NIL, good players cost money. Money is something that UTEP is not flush in.

We are an athletic program that is competing (high school analogy here) in Class 6A and should be in Class 4A. Instead of students determining which class you are in, it is Money making that determination in the NCAA.
A dedicated student athletic fee would be a good start for about $5 million a year. $100 per semester per student. And yeah yeah, I don't want to hear that people can't pay.....

A dedicated student athletic fee would be a good start for about $5 million a year. $100 per semester per student. And yeah yeah, I don't want to hear that people can't pay.....
Why should students pay? Athletes already get the best of everything, why should they get more? It’s obvious that UTEP students don’t care about UTEP sports and there’s no way they would pass that, so the football team can have a better weight room.

How did he do at Texas Tech? Why won’t a major university hire him?

Not to beat a dead horse but his record at UTEP was 30-32.

Gillispie should have be re-hired instead of Floyd. Things would be a lot different if we had. Now, he’s washed. He is doing a “good job” at Tarleton though.
Gillispie isn't "washed" in my opinion. He made the junior college national championship game, which tells me he still has the coaching ability. Gillispie is probably a better hire now than before now that he has a grip on his health problems. Hiring him at the time of Floyd might not have been the best timing.

With his health issues, he might be happy at Tarleton, which I presume is a lower-pressure job (similar to Jerry Kill with NMSU football).

They are already near ground level.
I really didn't see this coming. I didn't expect Golding to contended for the conference but I didn't expect this late season collapse.
3172942.gif

The DHC doesn’t help, but it makes no difference. FAU plays in a dump, they have good players. It’s not the arena.

SMU is back to being a ghost town, because they suck again. Once Houston, TCU, and UT go back to sucking, their new arenas will be ghost towns too.
I have a buddy who went to the SMU UH game last week at moody and said the arena was full and rocking

Reactions: Minerinciter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT