ADVERTISEMENT

Miner Rush Early Failure

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So far Miner Rush post Alex is awful! 1 day before start of Football Season with Brand New Coach and no write up, predictions, coach quotes, etc... Oh Alex why'd you have to leave.... SIGH... P.S. Valerie good job on other sports and I understand as a Woman you're going to make sure the Women's Sports gets covered too. However by not giving the Major Sports like... Football and Basketball their place you will lose readers by the drove!

Last edited:
I don't think the sex of the writer has anything to do with it but I've looked at it a couple of times and feel that it's been mostly reposts of UTEP press releases. No real reporting going on. No personal insights, no interviews, no predictions, no players assessments. Too bad. MinerRush had been a great source of inside info.

So far it's softball, volleyball, soccer, cross country and golf. I guess we just don't care about the rifle team.
Which begs the question, is cheering for your team allowed in rifle?

Or is it like golf, where fans can cheer only if they file an application, in advance?

If the Miners football team starts 0-7, you just might see a flurry of rifle team action on this very message board.

Picks up. Or, in the case, of the rifle team, "sights on target."

Reactions: jdubb66
I've been wondering the same. I wonder if Valerie will do podcasts on her own or with some guests? I am missing the football and basketball write ups and the tweets from Alex.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
So far Miner Rush post Alex is awful! 1 day before start of Football Season eitj Brand New Coach and no write up, predictions, coach quotes, etc... Oh Alex ehydw you have to leave.... SIGH... P.S. Valerie good job on other sports and I understand as a Woman you're going to make sure the Women's Sports get covered too. However by not giving the Major Sports IE... Football and Basketball their place you will lose readers by the drove!
Can someone translate this?

A) Does she have part time work somewhere?
B)What's her course load like?

If one or the other, don't expect anything much because balancing work, school, and something like public forum that has high expectations is not easy. If she is working and has a challenging course load, she may want to reconsider. Typically the site just dies. Alex was one of kind for UTEP. Most dot com sports forums with that kind of coverage and analysis he provided are found at bigger schools.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I can understand why Alex quit, that guy put in monster hours doing work for the site. It is unreasonable to think that one person can dedicate that much time to a website that pays so poorly, especially if they have a job/bills/family.

A) Does she have part time work somewhere?
B)What's her course load like?

If one or the other, don't expect anything much because balancing work, school, and something like public forum that has high expectations is not easy. If she is working and has a challenging course load, she may want to reconsider. Typically the site just dies. Alex was one of kind for UTEP. Most dot com sports forums with that kind of coverage and analysis he provided are found at bigger schools.

She's a UTEP graduate.

I can understand why Alex quit, that guy put in monster hours doing work for the site. It is unreasonable to think that one person can dedicate that much time to a website that pays so poorly, especially if they have a job/bills/family.

Do you know how much the pay is?

A better future. Don't kid yourself. These corporate owned dot com sports sites can potentially lead to a better future if you do good work and put in the time like Alex did. It helped the initial admin of this site back in early 2000's. I will admit I was interested in MR position and I have a family, too and knew of the potential it offers. I was an admin of this site once and basically blew the opportunity. These sites provide a platform for that aspiring young sports writer. You get a lot of BS, a lot of it. It's an "ego's &: a-holes" industry at times even in an El Paso type market believe it or not; but the potential is there.

"....all writers should be unionized...".

Lincoln would agree: "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.". In the anti union toxic culture our country has been experiencing for a few decades, it's not going to get any better. SB needs investigated by at least some state attorney general's staff or a local district or county attorney where SB has a "brick and mortar" headquarters or just a regional shop.

But It's the other opportunities that can come open. I don't know if this was the case with Alex? I can tell you one thing, he had total respect and admiration from the local (sports) media. His work was well known. That's what I am referring too.

Guess we will be unable to question Dimel if things don’t go well tonight then?

Haha. I think you missed the point. The big difference is that you could’ve had the MR job and done things your way. You couldn’t have had Dimel’s job.

Question away. I don’t give a sh!t.

I know how much the pay is and it bearly covers the cable and internet bill required to watch the games. You’re basically working for free. At this point in my life I can’t afford to give away the little bit of free time I have available.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Not questioning and accepting everything is why UTEP athletics is where it is.

Anyone who has been posting on this site for any number of years can probably vouch that I’ve done my fair share of questioning UTEP athletics, from coaching to the athletic department and everything in between. But when I want something done a certain way, AND I have the option to do so but choose not to, then I sure as hell don’t complain about how it is done.

I figured the sentiment would resonate with some and not so much with others. To each their own. That’s the last I’ll say on that.

IMO, Life mentioned last year there was a polarization of UTEP largest boosters who pulled Stull in different directions. In other words UTEP got ND'ed or UT 'horn'ed by it's own boosters; but on a much smaller scale. Boosters get too involved in daily affairs of major revenue programs and muck things up. Floyd is a great example. Floyd should have been let go two years ago but the boosters told Stull "NO!". The drama made the local radio airwaves.

I know how much the pay is and it bearly covers the cable and internet bill required to watch the games. You’re basically working for free. At this point in my life I can’t afford to give away the little bit of free time I have available.

So you're saying the pay is less than $200 a month?

It’s unfortunate there was not gameday coverage on Miner Rush. No game day thread page. No tweets from the Miner Rush account. Just an FYI: Duke Keith and Adrian Broaddus gave some post game coverage on Keith’s Facebook page. So that may be a good place to go after the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT