ADVERTISEMENT

Miners are gonna be 6-6

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
It looks like somehow the Miners will be 6-6 going into Conference play, which none of us thought was even possible. Do you think that would've happened with Floyd still coaching and do you think this season can still squeeze out 20+ wins?

Reactions: Cube Jack
20+ wins is not an accomplishment unless it ends in the NIT or NCAA.

Yes, I would rather win 20 games instead of 5, whatever.

Going to the CBI and winning 20 games in a weak conference is nothing to brag about. Its been 7 seasons since we went to the NCAAs. How many times has NMSU gone during that period?

Reactions: El Paso 777
I've think the team will be 8-6 going into 2018. If that happens then we will be 2-0 in CUSA and on a roll. Same could have happened with Floyd (based on last year), but a change was needed. Like Shovelman says though, its NCAA or bust for me.

Also, if the miners get to the NCAA it will be a conundrum for Senter in regards to the next coach. IMO we need to start over but I'm not rooting against Johnson per say. Do you all think this staff will even attempt to recruit for next year?

That's right fools. Do we really want PJ to do so well that he will be considered as the next head coach?

Better to clean house and start fresh like the football team is. If PJ gets the head coaching gig, you can expect mediocre to bad results as long as he is coach.

That's right fools. Do we really want PJ to do so well that he will be considered as the next head coach?

Better to clean house and start fresh like the football team is. If PJ gets the head coaching gig, you can expect mediocre to bad results as long as he is coach.
I want UTEP to do well regardless of who is coaching them. Fool.

Dang that be sweet if we can salvage the season and get 20+ wins. Maybe Floyd would have done it his teams always seem to pick up steam as the season goes on. I think it was miner rush but someone posted that it was a defensive issue with wade that’s the problem. Guess they need him to work on his defensive game so they are sitting him until he improves.

With a healthy Willms, and PT picking his game up at the right time, the development of our frosh PGs, Omega getting back on track, Frazier being Frazier, there is no reason this team can't win the CUSA tourney this year.

We'll lose a couple we shouldn't but with all those pieces coming together, this isn't a team anyone in CUSA is gonna wanna sleep on in March.

I've think the team will be 8-6 going into 2018. If that happens then we will be 2-0 in CUSA and on a roll. Same could have happened with Floyd (based on last year), but a change was needed. Like Shovelman says though, its NCAA or bust for me.

Also, if the miners get to the NCAA it will be a conundrum for Senter in regards to the next coach. IMO we need to start over but I'm not rooting against Johnson per say. Do you all think this staff will even attempt to recruit for next year?
In terms of recruiting for next year, unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible for the current staff to get any type of commitments. Realistically, no recruit would even think about committing with the uncertainty on the coach/staff next year. Same deal as with football.

In terms of recruiting for next year, unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible for the current staff to get any type of commitments. Realistically, no recruit would even think about committing with the uncertainty on the coach/staff next year. Same deal as with football.

Good thing about Football is there is very few scholarships available. So Dimel has an opportunity to focus on getting some impact recruits while evaluating the current roster.

Last edited:
Some people have such a narrow mind it's amazing!! So if Phil Johnson turns this around and gets them to 20 wins we don't want to take a chance on him because he was with Floyd? Ever think just maybe Johnson has his own ideas ? Beliefs that are different than floyds? Am I saying go hire him now ? Probably not but if he does well why not?

Johnson was here from the start of the Floyd era when we 13 Seniors on scholarship and another 4 seniors who were walk-ons and all of the student trainers were seniors and the student managers were seniors. The expectations were high and were never close to being met. That's why many people don't like him returning.

Others think he wasn't a success at SJSU and therefore we can do better.

And then you have the camp that thinks Senter should bring in one of 'his guys.'

I happen to like Johnson. I just think it's not going to happen for him no matter what he does.

Johnson was here from the start of the Floyd era when we 13 Seniors on scholarship and another 4 seniors who were walk-ons and all of the student trainers were seniors and the student managers were seniors. The expectations were high and were never close to being met. That's why many people don't like him returning.

Others think he wasn't a success at SJSU and therefore we can do better.

And then you have the camp that thinks Senter should bring in one of 'his guys.'

I happen to like Johnson. I just think it's not going to happen for him no matter what he does.
No one's been a success at San Jose they have no basketball tradition and haven't won since that I'm aware of. I'm simply curious how he does this year and that will tell alot, if he get this team in NCAA or NIT after how it started I'm ok with him. He is not as hard headed aw Floyd and played to the teams strengths.

Sent the last 20 years with Floyd. How interested is he for a head coaching job. Do you believe he gad no input with Floyd’s coaching. Get real.

To be fair to Johnson, I think the fast tempo team of two years ago was Johnson's brainchild. Johnson seems less stubborn than Floyd when it comes to x's and o's.

If he gets the team to win the conference and the players love him and want him back, then I would say at that point he'd earn a shot. But that's a really high standard, anything else and bring in someone new.

IF PJ gets into the tourney he’s gotta stay on. We are a far cry from that happening though haha. Would love that scenario to happen. Doing in one season what TF couldn’t in 7. If he gets 20 plus and NIT he may get it too. Other than that I think you gotta go with someone else.

To be fair to Johnson, I think the fast tempo team of two years ago was Johnson's brainchild. Johnson seems less stubborn than Floyd when it comes to x's and o's.

If he gets the team to win the conference and the players love him and want him back, then I would say at that point he'd earn a shot. But that's a really high standard, anything else and bring in someone new.

That's the way I remember it, too. Also, didn't Floyd credit Johnson with the much improved defensive play either a year or two ago?

Definitely not saying hire the guy. In fact I'm inclined to say start over at season's end. But I'm rooting for PJ guide these guys to a strong showing in CUSA play...and hopefully beyond.

Reactions: miner1liner
That's the way I remember it, too. Also, didn't Floyd credit Johnson with the much improved defensive play either a year or two ago?

Definitely not saying hire the guy. In fact I'm inclined to say start over at season's end. But I'm rooting for PJ guide these guys to a strong showing in CUSA play...and hopefully beyond.
The point zone was a Braswell idea and he coached it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I’m tired of the constant player turnover, which PJ has been a part of at some level. In addition to the player turnover, every year there is always at least one highly thought of freshman sitting on the bench game after game with no explanation. Floyd is gone, yet that is still continuing under PJ with his handling of Wade. I don’t even care if PJ is right in this instance, I am just so tired of this nonsense always happening. I would prefer a fresh start with someone else to see if they can handle things differently.

Last edited:
Just focusing on here and now and leaving the future to the cosmos, UTEP perimeter defense improved dramatically. Shooting % was up last two games and Wilms physical presence and experience was a difference maker. Omega's back is much better and It's obvious as he can slice and attract fouls. Gilyard is getting confidence every game and looks stoic (in a good way) amongst good teams. The new coach has to make him the general next year. Frazier brings fearless play and uber-confidence.

What needs improved on is more improvement in perimeter defense. Shot selection is wild at times. Is Frazier trying to win the halftime halfcourt toss for free cash? Guards and big men need to gel a little bit more. Thomas and Wilms are need to be more alert for guard passes when in paint. Rebounding. Rebounding. Rebounding. It needs work. UTEP was outrebounded 3-1 I think in 1st half last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT