ADVERTISEMENT

Miners at the Pit MBB

Can anyone think of a good reason to play this game at 1pm? It’s on a free, 2nd rate streaming service and not on TV, so the only people watching are UTEP and UNM fans. Putting it at 1, puts at the end of the 1st NFL TV window and at the start of the 2nd one. ABQ is big on the Cowboys and Broncos, but seems like a weird decision to play this at 1pm. Why not 5 or 6?

Last edited:
This game is never going to end.

After the final media timeout, this is the longest 4 minutes I can remember. The Lobos just won't concede, even down double-digits.

Reactions: Lil_Train
No doubt...Fantastic "D", patience on offense and limiting shooting 3's. Great victory following some big disappointments.
Really happy today. Still wonder about Saterfield's limited playing time as well as Maring's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
I have a question for Miner fans. I live out of state, so I don't see too many games on tv or in person. Do Miner fans still SFD? Considering the style of coach Golding is, it would be appropriate. If UTEPs younger fans don't know what SFD is, it's time to learn. I hope this game is a good omen for things to come. Go Miners.

Reactions: miner1liner
Reporter: Did UTEP impress you?

Rick Pitino: Uh, they're a scrappy team.

I have a question for Miner fans. I live out of state, so I don't see too many games on tv or in person. Do Miner fans still SFD? Considering the style of coach Golding is, it would be appropriate. If UTEPs younger fans don't know what SFD is, it's time to learn. I hope this game is a good omen for things to come. Go Miners.
Yes

I should have been more specific and said “offensively”. What he does bring is rebounding. Put backs are the only way he scores. I’ll take em. I’m probably too hard on him.
He seems very athletic in all of his videos. I guess that is not translating to the game. Can we morph he and Onyema together?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
UNM is ranked 132 by NET. Hopefully they get better and eventually this win turns into a top 100.

Which boxscore gives the plus/minus?
Yeah I'm interested too. How do you calculate the plus/minus Picks Up? I recently heard that Kemba Walker was taken out of the Knicks line up because he was carrying a significantly negative score.

Reactions: picks up
And UTEP was 232 or so, right? Winning in the Pit is it's own reward. I didn't think they could do it without Beineimy.
238 right behind ODU. Rice is 189. FWIW, UNLV made a big jump as did St Joseph's from the A10 after both had won two in a row. So UTEP could go up just a few.

Looking at NET its really is misleading. Wofford is 95 with a weak schedule and MTSU is 99?! They lost to a not so good SFA team and did lose to a surprisingly good Murray State (who upset Memphis).

The UNM beat guy posted the box score with the plus/minus

The plus/minus is the score differential that occurs when that player is in the game. Basically it lets you know if the player had a positive or negative impact on the game
Not necessarily. Sometimes that’s a good indicator of a +/- impact, but not the end all be all of that. Someone can play 2 minutes and not do anything on the court and be counted for a +8 because someone hit 2 three pointers and a dunk and the other team didn’t. Doesn’t mean he contributed at all to the +8.

Not necessarily. Sometimes that’s a good indicator of a +/- impact, but not the end all be all of that. Someone can play 2 minutes and not do anything on the court and be counted for a +8 because someone hit 2 three pointers and a dunk and the other team didn’t. Doesn’t mean he contributed at all to the +8.
Obviously. There isn't one stat that ever tells the entire story but numbers can help illustrate what happened.

Last edited:
True, it isn’t the end all be all. However, I’d contend that Verhoeven’s +19 was a good indicator that we were better while he was in.

When there isn’t a “dominant” big man opposing him, TV is pretty solid. He’s just so challenged offensively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT