ADVERTISEMENT

Miners @ NMSU Prediction & Attendance Thread

Agree, and that is part of the reason we may see more of 15, especially in crunch time. He's played a ton of games in a solid conference, so there may be more trust versus a couple of inexperienced young guys. Also, we need scoring out of that spot, which we aren't likely to get from TV. I thought is was interesting that Golding's first recruit for next year is a JC 3/4 guy who looks to be more of a scorer. That's the same spot Hollins was brought in as a one year rental.
While none of them will individually have the same stats as Williams I think the combination of 11,15,12 and even 20 could all combine to put up the kind of numbers he had.

While none of them will individually have the same stats as Williams I think the combination of 11,15,12 and even 20 could all combine to put up the kind of numbers he had.
The thing is Williams is a guy who provided a strong interior offensive presence, who was often double teamed. Plus, he got to the line a ton. If we don't show an ability to score inside, teams will just guard the three point line making us one dimensional. Golding will need to find a way to manufacture some inside scoring without a dominant interior scoring threat. Maybe Maring can develop; he seems like the most likely candidate at this point. I actually like what I saw from Kalu as well. To me, Sibley isn't an interior player.

Yea Sibley didn't really impress but he's the GT transfer so he gets the benefit of the doubt until he plays himself out of rotation. Imo 20 was impressive in the inside. Don't want to get too excited until I see him against guys his own size.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yea Sibley didn't really impress but he's the GT transfer so he gets the benefit of the doubt until he plays himself out of rotation. Imo 20 was impressive in the inside. Don't want to get too excited until I see him against guys his own size.
I thought Sibley played ok, he is just not a post player. I liked what Kalu did with the offensive rebounding, but it is a whole different thing to provide a post presence in a half court offense. On a side note, I hope our guys are able to stand up to McCants, who I can't stand for some reason. I still have nightmares of him backing down Vila like he was a salt statue a couple of years back.

Golding mentioned Saterfield played the undersized 4 spot in JC. If so, there will obviously be a transition at this level for Saterfield. Really, the only guy who I can remember who was able to play a similar position, and still be effective at this level, at that size was Omar Thomas. I think Saterfield is a better perimeter shooter, but it will be difficult to match OT's ability to score in the midrange and attacking the basket. Also, it remains to be seen what type of defender Saterfield will be. All that said, I don't anticipate Saterfield plays the 4 here. At this point, I think Kennedy is well ahead in terms of playing time. I thought Kennedy looked slightly better shooting against ENM; at least when compared to last year which was a mess.
I always appreciate your knowledge of the game and it could be the tops of all posters on here, but I didn't see what you saw in Kennedy. He was 3 for 13 which is about what he did last year. He is intense and plays hard, but unless Saterfield proves to be an absolute "matador" defender I can't see Saterfield riding the pines. Kinda the same comparison between Agnew and White.
Golding may view the situation as an in-game adjustment and go with what works for a given need.

I always appreciate your knowledge of the game and it could be the tops of all posters on here, but I didn't see what you saw in Kennedy. He was 3 for 13 which is about what he did last year. He is intense and plays hard, but unless Saterfield proves to be an absolute "matador" defender I can't see Saterfield riding the pines. Kinda the same comparison between Agnew and White.
Golding may view the situation as an in-game adjustment and go with what works for a given need.
You make good points miner1liner. Golding did bring in Saterfield for a reason. We should know more after tomorrow's game to see how many minutes some of the new guys get. I'm guessing Kennedy gets 25+ minutes tomorrow, if healthy. Let's keep an eye on Saterfield.

NMSU took care of business against a stable UCI team. UTEP played a pesky WNM. Holding D and rebounding must be paramount.

Rationality:
Gags 82
UTEP 62
My hope and dream:

Gags 68
UTEP 71

NMSU took care of business against a stable UCI team. UTEP played a pesky WNM. Holding D and rebounding must be paramount.

Rationality:
Gags 82
UTEP 62
My hope and dream:

Gags 68
UTEP 71

And this is what I LOVE about this rivalry. The school we most love to hate. Yes!

Reactions: Rot
I'm excited for this game since we still get to face ACU's former coach. I think this will be an exciting matchup with a close game. The Aggies looked a bit sloppy in the home opener against UC Irvine. They weren't doing too well on rebounding which normally is a staple of NMSU basketball. It's hard to gauge UTEP since they opened up against a DII school. Still y'all put up a lot of points. I think it will be a lower scoring game than expected:
NMSU 65
UTEP 63
Can't wait until these rivalry games count as conference games! I fully expect the first 5-10 minutes to be very sloppy by both teams.

The aggs with way more experience up front and their guys (Tillman and McCants) and can draw us out for mismatches. Hollins may be our best matchup for one of these guys. If they go big and play McNair and Alok I think we can matchup better.

Kennedy will need to match up with Allen on defense and we will need a big game from JB and Boum offensively.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I also think you guys are giving too many points to the ags. The ags don’t know that this is no terrys team anymore. It will be much closer than ppl think with nmsu barely squeezing one out. The miners need to cause turnovers though to have a chance

Boum playing lackadaisical as usual. Good defense by the Miners though. Aggies finding ways to score

Frustrating that we can't score and now our defense is regressing. We are gonna struggle in the paint all year.

Our rebounding and 3pt shooting are atrocious. Lot of work to do.

We need to score to keep up the defensive intensity

Last edited:
Tydus
Maring
Kennedy
Boum
JB

Sibley
Saucy
Hollins
White

I think Satterfield and Kalu are battling for #10 if Golding keeps the rotation deep or based on matchups. Probably Kalu in this game.
So it was Sibley, Saucy, Hollins and Kalu (with Hollins getting the start). Maring only played 2 minutes. White got a few minutes in mop up time. No Satterfield.

Basically 7.5 guys

Hollins with a lazy mistake that has allowed the Aggies to open it up.
Right around the 10:30 mark in the 2nd half, Hollins let Rice get easily in front of him on a missed free throw, let Rice rebound and then fouled Rice on the put back. Golding went ballistic and immediately benched Hollins and we never saw him again. We went from down 10 to down 19 in the next 3 minutes. Huge lapse by the senior Hollins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT