ADVERTISEMENT

MWC media day comments from their commish

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
This quote from Thompson is interesting:

“We could look beyond 12 (schools),” Thompson said. “This membership/expansion door swings both ways. This week I’ve had more than one and less than five institutions reach out to me and say, ‘Can we be in the Mountain West Conference?’ ” (I'm sure that UTEP and NMSU called and probably Rice)

Those five teams are not all that hard to peg and they are most likely coming from the Texas schools of Conference USA, but that is pure speculation. Thompson did add that the league has not moved beyond the "philosophical" discussion on moving to 14 teams or beyond"

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/7/26/12291566/mountain-west-big-12-expansion

This quote from Thompson is interesting:

“We could look beyond 12 (schools),” Thompson said. “This membership/expansion door swings both ways. This week I’ve had more than one and less than five institutions reach out to me and say, ‘Can we be in the Mountain West Conference?’ ” (I'm sure that UTEP and NMSU called and probably Rice)

Those five teams are not all that hard to peg and they are most likely coming from the Texas schools of Conference USA, but that is pure speculation. Thompson did add that the league has not moved beyond the "philosophical" discussion on moving to 14 teams or beyond"

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/7/26/12291566/mountain-west-big-12-expansion

I wouldn't be surprised if UTEP or Rice weren't one of those calling. CUSA hasn't done much to raise the conference's profile (IMO).

I don't think anyone needs to kid themselves, that super-conference thing is going to eventually happen and that separation between the big schools and smaller schools (that money factor) is going to be even greater. If I was the MWC, I'd go big before it was too late. The first domino (or shot fired) will be by the Big 12.

I have been reading the ODU side of realignment from the Virginia Pilot. The writers feel good they will get invited to the AAC due to their budget (#1 in CUSA) and they are building a new stadium. Inviting Marshall appears to be a no brainer according to east coast news. Charlotte offers a soild TV market so they think Marshall and UNC-Charlotte have the best outlook. But UNC Charlotte is like the University of Houston that is in a big market....does this large metro area really care about 49'er athletics? USM is a toss up but their location is not bad but like La Tech, they are in a crappy market.

I have been reading the ODU side of realignment from the Virginia Pilot. The writers feel good they will get invited to the AAC due to their budget (#1 in CUSA) and they are building a new stadium. Inviting Marshall appears to be a no brainer according to east coast news. Charlotte offers a soild TV market so they think Marshall and UNC-Charlotte have the best outlook. But UNC Charlotte is like the University of Houston that is in a big market....does this large metro area really care about 49'er athletics? USM is a toss up but their location is not bad but like La Tech, they are in a crappy market.

It'll be interesting to see which teams get poached from CUSA. But even more what CUSA looks like afterwards. In either scenario a weaker CUSA appears likely.

It'll be interesting to see which teams get poached from CUSA. But even more what CUSA looks like afterwards. In either scenario a weaker CUSA appears likely.

We could solve all this by moving UTEP between Houston and Dallas just off I45 - around Corsicana. A much larger potential TV market. And recruiting kids would be a piece of cake.

Just my two cents.

lieb

We could solve all this by moving UTEP between Houston and Dallas just off I45 - around Corsicana. A much larger potential TV market. And recruiting kids would be a piece of cake.

Just my two cents.

lieb

That would be one hell of a commute for our commuter school, no?

Tell you one thing, ODU and UTSA take the cake. Not even Marshall talk themselves up as much as these two newbies do. ODU fans think their new football stadium will have a UConn affect and get them a major conference invite? UConn had to build a new stadium, but their basketball was a major selling point; ODU has neither.

Well, one thing is for certain-- most of these programs are far more attractive to better conferences than we are at this point. I don't see too many situations in which UTEP benefits.

We sometimes look at these scenarios through our own biased lenses. In the world outside of our small bubble, there are few options.

I predict we'll be in cusa for quite some time. The conference unfortunately has the potential to become the worst in Div1. Even if we do land in the MWC, it won't be long before their best teams are poached and it becomes a lateral move.

I knew as soon as this whole realignment bs started, it was very bad news for us. We don't have the two key necessities to be looked at seriously: a good football program, and a good tv market

Here we go again ladies crying with big rain drop tears coming down on your sad faces always looking down on yourself. Instead lets Look up.
What would it take for UTEP to matter again? New stadium, winning football team. average football crowd of 45K with a updated basketball schedule and winning again with 10K showing up each night? We can go on and on .....
Let's think out of the box or just think BIG.
I believe the #1 item to accomplish is to enlarge/remodel the Sun Bowl to 65K with boxes and sell the naming rights. And then bring the Sun Bowl Game as shown on CBS (only bowl game for this network) into play as an added bonus. Together that gets us in the BIG 12. No one else can do this. "build it and they will come"

Football this year will see 8 wins with a average gate of 45K and finally a bowl game win. Its going to happen.
Let's not worry what everyone else lets just promote UTEP as being the best choice.
OK ladies lets see you ponce on this idea ....

from Hollywood ... UTEP matters

Reactions: Rot
Way to go Hollywood! I was going to respond to the serial whiner: USAFauxeFan, but you beat me to it. And UTEP sure t f matters.

I'm sure you're response would have been as realistic and insightful, Vegas. A shame I was spared the opportunity for you to tell me how we'll "get into the Big 12"....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT