ADVERTISEMENT

My 1st Football Mag of the year is Lindy's and...

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
They do not expect much from the Miners this season. They say UTEP will need newcomers from JC to even have a shot at 2 wins. Pretty much what we on this board think. They do have some praise for the rb's and wr's returning but say the 3 returning starters on the oline will need to be improved for the offense to make headway. If our qb is at least reasonably capable and consistant for a change, i think the offense should improve. The jc help on defense will have to step up the pass rush since we really didn't have one last year.

Looking at their run down on our opponents it looks like the 2 best opportunities for wins are vs NMSU and FIU, both home games. They expect LT, UNT, UTSA and Rice to all have their struggles but they all already have stronger rosters than UTEP. If the season only produces 2 wins, I hope to God that Dimel is replaced.

Hate to go into the new athletic year with doom and gloom so maybe for mbb the transfer pg from Oklahoma will get a waiver, Terry will put together an awesome team and bb season will be a lot of fun. For fb maybe all the redshirts, grayshirts over the last couple of years will now be bigger and better, the qb situation will see a star emerge from Goodwin or Hardison or one of the jc transfers and the football team will look like a real college team and actually win some games. Ok, I'll try to come to my senses but hey, it could happen.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
The first head to roll has to be Senter's. If the team is floundering in mid October Wilson has to make the move. Give herself six weeks to have a new AD in place to make a coaching change. Under no circumstances should Senter get a mulligan.

UTEP isn’t going to be hurting when it comes to stadium capacity rules since we don’t fill 50% of the stadium. But will UTEP be forced to scale down concessions or other game day activities to promote social distancing? Either way I’m sure UTEP is going to be looking a drop in football revenue and I’m curious if they are also anticipating these measures lasting into basketball season. So, with that being said does that force UTEP’s hand and they keep Dimel another year?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Depends if all 12 games are played. If the Miners go 2-7 I could see Senter bringing him back. If they beat Nevada and NMSU, then lose out, and go 2-10, I doubt he comes back, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Probably the best thing that could happen for the team is starting the season in week 4 vs NMSU. TT, Nevada and Texas are all likely too tough for them. Then the 2-7 could materialize. Not that it would be a great accomplishment. Hopefully the team will be improved enough to do better than we think.

Probably the best thing that could happen for the team is starting the season in week 4 vs NMSU. TT, Nevada and Texas are all likely too tough for them. Then the 2-7 could materialize. Not that it would be a great accomplishment. Hopefully the team will be improved enough to do better than we think.

They just need to beat NMSU. If the season starts as planned and they’re 0-4 after NMSU, Dimel is done and so is the season.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Goodwin has a much better arm and mobile and Tech D will be a good test to see how he does under pressure.

Senter did bring up a good point is keeping the virus away from the team and vice versa for UTEP opponents. One case could cause a cancelation for either side.

MBB will be much better than football outcomes, Bienemy brings too much to the table. This is UTEP's biggest transfer coup since Caracter transferred from Louisville to UTEP under Barbee. If he is not granted a waiver it will be a tough year. He has Stone/JWash lock down D potential and can score.

Hate to go into the new athletic year with doom and gloom so maybe for mbb the transfer pg from Oklahoma will get a waiver, Terry will put together an awesome team and bb season will be a lot of fun. For fb maybe all the redshirts, grayshirts over the last couple of years will now be bigger and better, the qb situation will see a star emerge from Goodwin or Hardison or one of the jc transfers and the football team will look like a real college team and actually win some games. Ok, I'll try to come to my senses but hey, it could happen.
It could, we just have to believe! Oh I was dreaming——-sorry.

I agree it would be an improvement, but not a "huge" improvement. I need 3 or 4 wins to believe there's any progress, which yes we suck, but isn't impossible in CUSA.

Sad either way that we're debating whether two wins or four is a big enough improvement.

#trusttheprocess

If I were in President Wilson's chair, I'd call in Senter and simply say that this is the make or break year. If FB doesn't produce 4 wins and if basketball fails to make the CUSA tourney, it's over for him and his cronies.

It does not take 5 years to revive a basketball or football program. Every year we see teams come out of nowhere and when you hear the stories, it was a 1-2 year turnaround. Wilson should understand that this athletic department is considerably the worst in the country. I would think that in the university's best interest, Wilson puts her foot down this yr.

But we've seen Abuelita Natalacio before so nothing would surprise me if this gongshow continues.

If I were in President Wilson's chair, I'd call in Senter and simply say that this is the make or break year. If FB doesn't produce 4 wins and if basketball fails to make the CUSA tourney, it's over for him and his cronies.

It does not take 5 years to revive a basketball or football program. Every year we see teams come out of nowhere and when you hear the stories, it was a 1-2 year turnaround. Wilson should understand that this athletic department is considerably the worst in the country. I would think that in the university's best interest, Wilson puts her foot down this yr.

But we've seen Abuelita Natalacio before so nothing would surprise me if this gongshow continues.
Who let the kids in?

Reactions: Cube Jack
we've seen Abuelita Natalacio before so nothing would surprise me if this gongshow continues.

Her first priority was to make UTEP accessible to all of El Paso, especially Hispanic women and to make UTEP a research university and along with that, to fight for every dollar in Austin to give UTEP a bigger footprint. We're under Heather Wilson now.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I honestly wouldn’t mind going 0-12 if it guarantees Dimel’s departure.
I expect every year for UTEP to be competitive and when you have the players, aim high. We expect it in basketball because Haskins set that bar high, we should in football. Stull, Price, Nord and Kugler took UTEP to a bowl game by year one, two or three (Price did it in one and two. Nord had recruited most of the players as an assistant prior to being named HC in 2000) so no excuses. Sustaining after three was a challenge for all of them.

What if Goodwin is the real deal? His arm is canon but he hasn't seen live action.

Hey, I like it.

In the off-season, there's always hope!

I expect every year for UTEP to be competitive and when you have the players, aim high. We expect it in basketball because Haskins set that bar high, we should in football. Stull, Price, Nord and Kugler took UTEP to a bowl game by year one, two or three (Price did it in one and two. Nord had recruited most of the players as an assistant prior to being named HC in 2000) so no excuses. Sustaining after three was a challenge for all of them.

What if Goodwin is the real deal? His arm is canon but he hasn't seen live action.
Exactly. By year two all three of the previous head coaches already had a bowl under their belt. In year 3 under Dimel we’re wondering if we will win 2 games. Either he surprises the shit out of us and takes us bowling or he completely flames out. I can’t take anymore 1 or 2 win seasons.

Her first priority was to make UTEP accessible to all of El Paso, especially Hispanic women and to make UTEP a research university and along with that, to fight for every dollar in Austin to give UTEP a bigger footprint. We're under Heather Wilson now.

Ok maybe I'm a little too fast for you but A) duh I know we are under Wilson now...pretty sure I mention that. The point was that under Natalacio, look how up chocolate creek the athletic department is. B) Ok fair point about getting UTEP to Tier I status however that's evidence that she couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

A university is multifaceted that her goal should have been to make UTEP into Tier I and also make sure the athletic department didn't become a heaping pile of burning tires. I mean there are countless examples of universities that are raising their academic stature while entering Division I athletics. I hope Wilson is aware of this fact that a University President has many goals to work and achieve, not just one or two.

Ok maybe I'm a little too fast for you but A) duh I know we are under Wilson now...pretty sure I mention that. The point was that under Natalacio, look how up chocolate creek the athletic department is. B) Ok fair point about getting UTEP to Tier I status however that's evidence that she couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

A university is multifaceted that her goal should have been to make UTEP into Tier I and also make sure the athletic department didn't become a heaping pile of burning tires. I mean there are countless examples of universities that are raising their academic stature while entering Division I athletics. I hope Wilson is aware of this fact that a University President has many goals to work and achieve, not just one or two.

Go easy on Mr2Step. He said that El Paso was “CRT’s town” as the hoops team was headed towards 11th place. As if he has captivated the city at any point of his career.

Anyway, I agree, Dr Nat and Stull have their faults for our current conditions. However, some of it is the fans fault. If more people would have demanded change, attended less games, and stopped accepting mediocrity, Price and Floyd would have been let go sooner. Do you think UCLA fans were packing Pauley Pavilion when Alford was sucking? They have boosters that don’t stand for trash results. Most UTEP fans accept and celebrate trash results

Last edited:
Reactions: Autograph Boy

Who let the smart person in here?

Go easy on Mr2Step. He said that El Paso was “CRT’s town” as the hoops team was headed towards 11th place. As if he has captivated the city at any point of his career.

Anyway, I agree, Dr Nat and Stull have their faults for our current conditions. However, some of it is the fans fault. If more people would have demanded change, attended less games, and stopped accepting mediocrity, Price and Floyd would have been let go sooner. Do you think UCLA fans were packing Pauley Pavilion when Alford was sucking? They have boosters that don’t stand for trash results. Most UTEP fans accept and celebrate trash results

It's a fine needle to thread. Based on this board's history and from my time that I lived in ELP, the fans have demanded that UTEP should do better. Not many fans have accepted/ are happy with the crappy results.

Ultimately the responsibility comes down to the coaches, the AD that hires them and the university president. They are the ones after all that get the state checks and bennies while the fans work hard to go to the games. In our situation however, the generous 10k announced at the FB games is a massive hit to the department wallet especially when the Sun Bowl was rocking with 40k+ when I attended games. Evidence that the fans are voicing their frustration.

Personally, it irritated me hearing "we're doing mas con menos". It's nothing but a cutesy way to make excuses. Mentality should be: if there's menos, find mas (if there's little, find more). Going forward, the president and the department need to think of themselves as Miners (woah, what a thought). If they can't find a way to make it work, put the hard hat on a little tighter and dig and grind till you find a way.

There was maybe 6 or 7 tds through the air last season. Cooper was hurt for 10 of those games. If you want to throw shade at one of the best WR that was left on the roster find another way.

Still has zero career TDs. That includes his time at Arizona.

Again, not like having him on the roster made the team a winner

Still has zero career TDs. That includes his time at Arizona.

Again, not like having him on the roster made the team a winner
You’re right it didn’t but I blame the HC more than a player that was injured 90% of the season.

This offense needs all the help it can get. A healthy Cooper would have contributed this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT