ADVERTISEMENT

New CUSA

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So after today's events I have accepted the inevitable. So here we go! Here is the new CUSA. We should absolutely dominate in Basketball like NMSU has done in the WAC. CUSA was a one bid league anyways. Also with liberty and some top 25 FCS programs in here I think after some years this will be a decent football league. Oh and as you can see, still no NMSU sorry Aggies!

UTEP
La Tech
FIU
Liberty
JMU
Sam Houston St.
Southeastern Louisiana
Incarnate Word
Stephen F. Austin
Jacksonville St.

Reactions: JCorona
B for effort. Take away Liberty and JMU and replace them with NMSU. Incarnate Word with ACU and this might work. No more Texas big metro schools. I'm not going to watch anymore of them pass us up.

Even then some of those schools don't have a big enough football stadium to meet the NCAA "attendance" requirement.

B for effort. Take away Liberty and JMU and replace them with NMSU. Incarnate Word with ACU and this might work. No more Texas big metro schools. I'm not going to watch anymore of them pass us up.

Even then some of those schools don't have a big enough football stadium to meet the NCAA "attendance" requirement.
Liberty is a good FBS football team, yes they're on the east coast, but them and JMU who's a top 5 FCS team would be travel partners. Sam Houston's Football team is light years ahead of Abilene Christian. Incarnate Word is also top 25 and gives us San Antonio back. Everyone in my scenario has a travel partner.
Utep/Incarnate Word
Sam Houston/SFA
La Tech/SE Louisiana
JMU/Liberty
FIU/Jacksonville St.

Most likely JMU is in the SB and Liberty won't join a Texas / Louisiana conference. Incarnate Word plays in a 6k stadium. They'll have to make major changes before moving up to FBS. Same applies to SE Louisiana.

Reactions: nattybry
Most likely JMU is in the SB and Liberty won't join a Texas / Louisiana conference. Incarnate Word plays in a 6k stadium. They'll have to make major changes before moving up to FBS. Same applies to SE Louisiana.
Well it was an imaginary conference anyway, but we'll see if CUSA tried to bring in FCS teams to move up. That's their only card at this point I think to stay in business. I Do like the Sam Houston, SFA, Incarnate Word moves though. We'll see I guess. Senter needs to ask Foster for a loan to give each MWC school 10 million each to take Utep!

Worst case scenario we're left with UTEP, LT, and FIU. It's still possible to build it back up to 8 with NMSU and a couple of the schools you mentioned. Another one to keep an eye on is Jackson St.

Incarnate word is not close to ready for fbs football. Their facilities are worse than some high schools.

Nat do you know Jacksonville State is in Alabama not Florida?

The Louisiana schools have severe budget constraints SE Louisiana is not moving to FBS.

Last edited:
Southeastern Louisiana plays here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Stadium

Guys, before you type out all these “great suggestions”, take a few minutes to look up where these teams play.

Then ask yourself, “If I were the AD here, why would I leave my current conference to be with UTEP, LaTech, and FIU?” Knowing that those 3 teams are looking for their way out at every possible moment. You need 8 full members to be a recognized FBS conference. It’s possible you might get a waiver for a few years with 6 or 7, but maybe not.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So after today's events I have accepted the inevitable. So here we go! Here is the new CUSA. We should absolutely dominate in Basketball like NMSU has done in the WAC. CUSA was a one bid league anyways. Also with liberty and some top 25 FCS programs in here I think after some years this will be a decent football league. Oh and as you can see, still no NMSU sorry Aggies!

UTEP
La Tech
FIU
Liberty
JMU
Sam Houston St.
Southeastern Louisiana
Incarnate Word
Stephen F. Austin
Jacksonville St.
How about Lamar? Abilene Christian is a great school with a proud sports program.

Southeastern Louisiana plays here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Stadium

Guys, before you type out all these “great suggestions”, take a few minutes to look up where these teams play.

Then ask yourself, “If I were the AD here, why would I leave my current conference to be with UTEP, LaTech, and FIU?” Knowing that those 3 teams are looking for their way out at every possible moment. You need 8 full members to be a recognized FBS conference. It’s possible you might get a waiver for a few years with 6 or 7, but maybe not.

Why did this song pop in my head immediately? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
I really hope Sam Houston State stays in the FCS. It is much more exciting to watch a team play for a national championship than to play to go to a bowl game.

Also: while Bowers Stadium is a wonderful facility, it only holds about 14,000.

lieb

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Like we told LT fans, be careful what you ask for.

People wanted out of CUSA.

Some wanted to be independent.

Others suggested FCS.

Wish granted.

If your CUSA Commish your selling ODU, Middle Tennessee and W. Kentucky on rebuilding conference with 4 teams and dividing up money from departing teams and tv contract with lesser teams. Not sure if that sale flys, but this would seem like the likely route to save CUSA.
Existing:
UTEP,La Tech, FIU, Middle Tennessee (1 foot out), W. Kentucky (1 foot out)
Additions:
NMSU, Liberty, JMU (fighting sun belt), and a team from FBS to make the jump like Sam Houston, Abilene Christian or SFA) I don't know if ODU, W. Kentucky or Middle Tennessee go for that with other conferences willing to take them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT