ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 36 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Kugler’s 2nd year. Maybe this was the safe bet, if the Pac was even a possibility. I think that it wasn’t, unless a lot of strange things happen.
Two times in the last 20 years and only seven times in our 57 year history since joining the WAC. We should be due for one soon.

Now maybe the crying will stop on here when the MW gets 4 or more teams in the NCAA tournament. Funny how it looks so different when you are on that side of the fence.

The same ones that kept saying they were overrated and didn't deserve 6 in last year, will be crying that they only get 3 in the next.

Now maybe the crying will stop on here when the MW gets 4 or more teams in the NCAA tournament. Funny how it looks so different when you are on that side of the fence.

The same ones that kept saying they were overrated and didn't deserve 6 in last year, will be crying that they only get 3 in the next.
Don’t assume MWC will continue to be a multi-bid league for the NCAA Tourney.

Don’t think the basketball will suck this year and still believe Walden will get it going next year, but I get your apathy for sure!
A couple of guys I know have said good things about what they have seen in practice. Really Golding has a veteran team, so expectations should be fairly high. Bynum and Barnes are key in my opinion. CUSA is set to be tougher than last year overall. Hopefully, the league can pull off some early season wins, but realistically it will all come down to the tournament again.

Mountain West will still have 3 solid basketball programs that should be in the NCAA tournament with the departures:
UNLV- has been building a solid team and has a tough OOC schedule
New Mexico- should be a top 15 program with the recruiting
Nevada

The issue will be the strength of schedule will go down not playing the 4 strong schools that left, and playing UTEP twice.

Mountain West will still have 3 solid basketball programs that should be in the NCAA tournament with the departures:
UNLV- has been building a solid team and has a tough OOC schedule
New Mexico- should be a top 15 program with the recruiting
Nevada

The issue will be the strength of schedule will go down not playing the 4 strong schools that left, and playing UTEP twice.
Yeah, but NET and computer rankings don’t account for bias and history. If those schools and UTEP have good OOC, that’s all that matters. UTEP sucks because they go on multiple 6 game losing streaks during the season.

Reactions: Lil_Train
There’s already doubt that UTEP can even compete in the MWC, might as well have penciled in the Miners finishing DFL in the Pac.

Imagine Bronzeing coaching against Gonzaga and San Diego St when he can barely beat LaTech and Middle Tennessee.

He beat Cal and Texas. Again you sounding stupid. 🙄🙄🙄

Don’t assume MWC will continue to be a multi-bid league for the NCAA Tourney.
SDSU, Boise State, Utah State and Colorado St. definitely were big loses Basketball wise. UNM and Nevada are really all that’s left Basketball wise and UNLV is middle of the pack. It could be a 2 bid type of league though, we’ll see.

SDSU, Boise State, Utah State and Colorado St. definitely were big loses Basketball wise. UNM and Nevada are really all that’s left Basketball wise and UNLV is middle of the pack. It could be a 2 bid type of league though, we’ll see.
UNLV just missed the tournament last year and has a better team this year. They always schedule OOC extremely tough. Their net ranking and SOS will be very high. They will most likely make the tournament this coming year. They will be strong even with the departure of the others. One could argue they may be better than Nevada right now.

Secondly, they may be the best non P4 football team and may make the playoff. The MW is very lucky they did not leave for the PAC 12.

UNLV just missed the tournament last year and has a better team this year. They always schedule OOC extremely tough. Their net ranking and SOS will be very high. They will most likely make the tournament this coming year. They will be strong even with the departure of the others. One could argue they may be better than Nevada right now.

Secondly, they may be the best non P4 football team and may make the playoff. The MW is very lucky they did not leave for the PAC 12.
We are lucky they didn’t. The MWC would have been fine without them

I listened to some of the press conference. Notes:
Senter said the MWC is helping UTEP with some money for exit/entrance fees and didn’t not expand further.

Said his football scheduling is messed up now because of switching to MWC. He went over the teams, but also included Utah St and Texas St. He probably misspoke on Utah St, and he also could have done the same with Texas St too. So maybe Texas St is coming too.

Then talked about scheduling home and homes with Moccia, which would indicate that NMSU is not going to be joining.

This could be just usual AD speak on both things, but we will see.

Senter said the MWC is helping UTEP with some money for exit/entrance fees and didn’t not expand further.

Said his football scheduling is messed up now because of switching to MWC. He went over the teams, but also included Utah St and Texas St. He probably misspoke on Utah St, and he also could have done the same with Texas St too. So maybe Texas St is coming too.

Then talked about scheduling home and homes with Moccia, which would indicate that NMSU is not going to be joining.

At the end of the day the UTEP/NMSU rivalry won’t be going anywhere. It’s too beneficial for both schools.

Oh gawd Senter, please don't do home and home with NMSU in same season! Pleeeeeeaaaasssseee don't!

They had to with Liberty two to three seasons ago because at the time they couldn't schedule teams to fill their independent schedule.

Oh gawd Senter, please don't do home and home with NMSU in same season! Pleeeeeeaaaasssseee don't!

They had to with Liberty two to three seasons ago because at the time they couldn't schedule teams to fill their independent schedule.
He wasn’t talking about the same season. Only you are inferring that.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
For UTEP's sake, it's best for NMSU to remain in CUSA or go Pac12. This allows us to schedule them OOC for football. For basketball it will make things easier to get quality opponents into the Don.......they come into ELP to play NMSU for a conference game, we get them the day after or before in an OOC game at the Don.

UTEP had schedule contracts with San Jose State, Wyoming, Texas State, Nevada, and UNLV. That’s alot of open dates

That’s what he was referring to. And now NMSU will be non-conference

Reactions: KaneFan29
UNM and NMSU do home and home each season. Why can’t UTEP and NMSU? Why is that such a bad thing?
2Step is referring to a time in football when Liberty and NMSU scheduled each other twice in one year. Not talking about basketball. That is fine. Even so, UNM and NMSU are no longer doing H/H in basketball any longer.

I caught that Texas St quote as well and thought he might have let the cat out of the bag.

Reactions: kickballpro
Now that I'm caught up on this thread I just wanted to wish my fellow Mountain West affiliated Miner fans a great day. Now let's build on this! Go Miners!

Reactions: KaneFan29
For UTEP's sake, it's best for NMSU to remain in CUSA or go Pac12. This allows us to schedule them OOC for football. For basketball it will make things easier to get quality opponents into the Don.......they come into ELP to play NMSU for a conference game, we get them the day after or before in an OOC game at the Don.
I don't think it's ever worked that. And I'm pretty sure it hasn't in the recent past.

I'd rather have them in the MWC and be able to schedule those 3 OOC games per year ourselves

I don't think it's ever worked that. And I'm pretty sure it hasn't in the recent past.

I'd rather have them in the MWC and be able to schedule those 3 OOC games per year ourselves
Since that’s working out so wonderful. Southern Utah this year. Texas Southern next year. HBU after that. Prime home games there!

• Haha
Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT