ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 36 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
2Step is referring to a time in football when Liberty and NMSU scheduled each other twice in one year. Not talking about basketball. That is fine. Even so, UNM and NMSU are no longer doing H/H in basketball any longer.
😐thank you, sincerely.

So still awaiting the announcement of the 8th full sports MWC member. Texas State and Tarleton State are the two most mentioned schools on Twitter (I refuse to call it X). Any preference, or rather the MWC court someone else?

So still awaiting the announcement of the 8th full sports MWC member. Texas State and Tarleton State are the two most mentioned schools on Twitter (I refuse to call it X). Any preference, or rather the MWC court someone else?
They need an 8th, more than likely they need a 9th and 10th for basketball schedules too. Hopefully 8th is Texas St, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they join the Pac out of desperation on the PAC’s part.

Reactions: picks up
Texas St. easily, but apparently they have reason to believe that the PAC is a real possibility so they have MWC on hold. With that being said Tarleton St. is definitely pushing to get to FBS, but I’d personally rather see Sam Houston or La Tech before them only because they’re already FBS. Let CUSA continue to be the transition league!

Texas St. easily, but apparently they have reason to believe that the PAC is a real possibility so they have MWC on hold. With that being said Tarleton St. is definitely pushing to get to FBS, but I’d personally rather see Sam Houston or La Tech before them only because they’re already FBS. Let CUSA continue to be the transition league!
I would think the MWC wants another Texas school, but when in survival mode, beggars can’t be choosers.

So back in the old days, conferences were 8 to 9 members max. Does the MWC really need to go beyond that? Everyone played each other in football. In basketball everyone played each other home and home. Wouldn’t it mean more revenue shares for each member?

So back in the old days, conferences were 8 to 9 members max. Does the MWC really need to go beyond that? Everyone played each other in football. In basketball everyone played each other home and home. Wouldn’t it mean more revenue shares for each member?
I’m sure you have to find that right mix of quality and quantity. NIU and Toledo are good schools and adding them for football means you’re not paying for travel costs across all sports.

Reactions: nattybry
I’m sure you have to find that right mix of quality and quantity. NIU and Toledo are good schools and adding them for football means you’re not paying for travel costs across all sports.
I like that too NIU and Toledo Football only and St. Mary’s and Grand Canyon Basketball only.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I’m happy to be joining the MWC, but can’t help wonder if the Pac gave UTEP any serious consideration. I know some of the newly added Pac schools believe their schools are P4 level and maybe were against us joining them. It appears TX State’s goal is to get into the Pac but they are patiently waiting to see how things play out. I don’t blame TX State for taking their time, but it would suck if they get into the Pac. I know the MWC and Pac were trying to attract Texas schools, but the options are dwindling down. I see the Pac making another effort to get Memphis or another AAC team.

Listening to Senter on Kappy's show:
knew this Fri it would happen, more background prior to Friday knowing it would happen
went to Wyoming and several years to AF but doesn't know all their facilities, have a lot that are good (for us) but need repair and maintenance . South end of sun bowl and visitor locker rooms mentioned
(Adrian gets excited for basketball tournament in LAS)
Senter did make a point, missed some of it but how football prices are homogeneous, and may increase by 2026, and we need to get ahead of it now and start supporting to help ease that

went to break at 4:20 MST (5:20 CST)

Talking CUSA package, consultants came back and said that the best package is weeknights and if on linear tv more money. Draw as good if not as most, gain exposure, but lose on revenue

Look at everyone else though. If you only have 8 members, that’s only 14 basketball games, unless you do something funky. 9 gives you 16, 10 gives you 18. The bigger conferences are gobbling up non conference opportunities.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Another UTEP scheduling nugget.

Wyoming, Nevada, UNLV, and San Jose State are all in our future schedules.

Going to need some new non conference games
Senter talked to Dave Brown, a scheduling guru (apparently), will in 2-3 days talk to the MW to talk about the open dates, also includes NMSU (Adrian brought up the question).
And some caller asking about NMSU going to the PAC-12...and what percentage what that will be....

UTEP did get money from schools that left conference. Conference held on to some for future expansion and projects

So that’s how
Yes it would mean more revenue per share but also leaves a danger zone when (not if) AFA and UNLV are poached. Sacramento St or UC Davis (Sacramento is the largest media area without an FBS team at #20) seem like the easy choices if they don’t move on Tarleton.

Adding two FCS schools may be a bit much as evidenced by the relatively poor play from the CUSA FCS schools last year.

Look at everyone else though. If you only have 8 members, that’s only 14 basketball games, unless you do something funky. 9 gives you 16, 10 gives you 18. The bigger conferences are gobbling up non conference opportunities.
And now the problem becomes you’re having to schedule anyone you can and there goes the RPI

Need to spend more money on getting players bigger, faster stronger, nutrition table, feeding players 3 times a day vs 1 time a day (question in relation to how to help Walden move towards the MW)
Can't we get "Asada" burritos from down south on the cheap? Think outside the box.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Right, because we didn't start scheduling FCS teams until after NMSU joined CUSA
We scheduled them before but rarely were they the highlight of our home ooc schedule. If you’ve been keeping an eye on scheduling it’s clear to see those are the teams that replaced Nmsu.

Now that we know Utep is going to the MWC. This thread was started based on the speculation of how much Utep would be better off in a watered down MWC. Which of these two MWC scenarios do we like better for Utep? Me personally A. slightly

A. UTEP, UNLV, SJSU, Wyoming, Nevada, UNM, Air Force, Hawaii (Football), Texas St. Sam Houston, St. Mary’s or Grand Canyon (Basketball)

B. UTEP, UNLV, SJSU, Wyoming, Nevada, UNM, Air Force, Hawaii (Football), Tarleton St., Toledo or N. Illinois (Football), St Mary’s or Grand Canyon (Basketball)

Yea I appreciate it. Barely caught the last segment after work. He mention NMSU or TXSt to the MW at all?
Wasn't asked (unlike the PAC-12), probably would've been the same answer of "I don't know what their thinking..."
He could've mentioned it and I missed it, know the replay if it should be on apple podcast tomorrow or the day after

Now that we know Utep is going to the MWC. This thread was started based on the speculation of how much Utep would be better off in a watered down MWC. Which of these two MWC scenarios do we like better for Utep? Me personally A. slightly

A. UTEP, UNLV, SJSU, Wyoming, Nevada, UNM, Air Force, Hawaii (Football), Texas St. Sam Houston, St. Mary’s or Grand Canyon (Basketball)

B. UTEP, UNLV, SJSU, Wyoming, Nevada, UNM, Air Force, Hawaii (Football), Tarleton St., Toledo or N. Illinois (Football), St Mary’s or Grand Canyon (Basketball)
B
Toledo (consistently there in the MAC, Bowl appearances in '10, '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '21 '22 '23)
N. Illinois the same with bowls '10-'15, '17, '18, '21' 23 (and recent win over Norte Dame this year) would bring the elevated competition
St. Mary's or GCU for basketball would be fine

I’m happy to be joining the MWC, but can’t help wonder if the Pac gave UTEP any serious consideration. I know some of the newly added Pac schools believe their schools are P4 level and maybe were against us joining them. It appears TX State’s goal is to get into the Pac but they are patiently waiting to see how things play out. I don’t blame TX State for taking their time, but it would suck if they get into the Pac. I know the MWC and Pac were trying to attract Texas schools, but the options are dwindling down. I see the Pac making another effort to get Memphis or another AAC team.
Texas State update

B
Toledo (consistently there in the MAC, Bowl appearances in '10, '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '21 '22 '23)
N. Illinois the same with bowls '10-'15, '17, '18, '21' 23 (and recent win over Norte Dame this year) would bring the elevated competition
St. Mary's or GCU for basketball would be fine
Well now that Texas St. is out that would seem like a wise move. I know Tarleton St. is talking to the MWC, but I think MWC needs to Bolster the football side and N. Illinois and Toledo would help! So then C. It is lol

C. UTEP, UNLV, SJSU, Wyoming, Nevada, UNM, Air Force, Hawaii (Football), N. Illinois (Football), Toledo (Football) St. Mary’s (Basketball), Grand Canyon (Basketball)

Boom Done!

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT