ADVERTISEMENT

Next FB coach?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
How about Larry Fedora? He’s an analyst at UT and likely won’t be retained. Texas ties — offense oriented.

How about Larry Fedora? He’s an analyst at UT and likely won’t be retained. Texas ties — offense oriented.

Yeah - great choice! A 57 year old with 1 Conference title in 11 years as a head coach. Sounds like he will be highly successful here!

Let’s hear your names, smart ass.

I don’t pay attention to any other schools assistant coaches, unless they have some UTEP/El Paso tie. I’ll tell you what I don’t want. Another re-tread who flamed out at a so-so football school. The only re-tread I would be interested in is Rich Rodriguez.

Other than that, the coach needs to be under 40 and have new ideas and have a capable offense. Also, successful coaches at the FCS level. No more Dimels, no more absolute failures.

Reactions: shyminer81
I don’t pay attention to any other schools assistant coaches, unless they have some UTEP/El Paso tie. I’ll tell you what I don’t want. Another re-tread who flamed out at a so-so football school. The only re-tread I would be interested in is Rich Rodriguez.

Other than that, the coach needs to be under 40 and have new ideas and have a capable offense. Also, successful coaches at the FCS level. No more Dimels, no more absolute failures.

You post hundreds of times about the problem, but have no solutions.

I tend to agree with this, however there are a few who don’t fit that mold I’d be ok with, Fedora being one.

You post hundreds of times about the problem, but have no solutions.

I just posted solutions. I didn’t give specific names. That’s for Senter to deal with. There is no homerun hire in waiting. Doesn’t mean a capable Texas A&M assistant, or Colgate head coach won’t be that. I don’t follow the coaching game.

When I heard Dismel was going to be hired here, I almost barfed. I wouldn’t have the same reaction if it would have been a no-name young assistant from the Pac-12.

The funny thing is that people want to hire a P5 assistant coach/coordinator. The problem is that the person would have to take a pay cut and face the chance of losing his job if he doesn't win right away. Just listen to what people are saying about a new coach. Come to UTEP football where the team has been to 4 bowl games in 20 years, not winning any of them. Take a pay cut by as much as 50%. Recruit on a budget that is significantly less than any P5 school. The school is located 600-800 miles from any high school football hotbeds. Those are the reasons we got Dimal. I really don't think there were any better candidates that wanted the job.

The funny thing is that people want to hire a P5 assistant coach/coordinator. The problem is that the person would have to take a pay cut and face the chance of losing his job if he doesn't win right away. Just listen to what people are saying about a new coach. Come to UTEP football where the team has been to 4 bowl games in 20 years, not winning any of them. Take a pay cut by as much as 50%. Recruit on a budget that is significantly less than any P5 school. The school is located 600-800 miles from any high school football hotbeds. Those are the reasons we got Dimal. I really don't think there were any better candidates that wanted the job.

High risk/high reward. Isn’t for everyone. Maybe they would like living here. If they won, they would get a raise and longer contract or they could decide to take their talents to a bigger school. Hiring someone who has a proven losing record is ****ing stupid.

This is only theory that makes sense to me on why Dimel was hired

Unless we’re hiring Tod Orlando no big 12 assistant would be taking a 50% pay cut. Dimel got a 50 % raise to be the HC here. There are only 6 assistants in the big 12 that would even take a pay cut if we continue to pay in the 700k range. Of those 6 it would only be a 10-12% pay cut or less everyone else would receive a raise and promotion.

So next excuse....

Reactions: picks up
I think roots in the state of Texas is critical for recruiting.

I thinks that's a bit overrated especially for UTEP. For all intensive purposes when UTEP recruits in the major metros in Texas we are an out of state school. There are several schools in the bordering states that are closer to the metros than we are.

Matt Rhule has proved you dont need Texas ties. In three years hes built Baylor into the best program in the state and he had no Texas ties.

giphy.gif

At this point there’s only one man who can clean up this mess and that’s Winston Wolf.

In all seriousness UTEP better get A LOT of money to pay off a good coach to come in and build this program right and bring some instant credibility. Or else we’re looking at a crap shoot because this job is too much work.

I thinks that's a bit overrated especially for UTEP. For all intensive purposes when UTEP recruits in the major metros in Texas we are an out of state school. There are several schools in the bordering states that are closer to the metros than we are.

Matt Rhule has proved you dont need Texas ties. In three years hes built Baylor into the best program in the state and he had no Texas ties.

Texas is only growing in importance as a recruiting ground as its population explodes.

Reactions: kickballpro
Screw that. Get a coach with American Samoa ties for an all Pacific Islander team. We still won't win but we will have comedy gold when Teicher and Yellen try to say the player names. At this point, watching Miner football has just become another drinking game. Might as well have some laughs while getting plastered.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT