ADVERTISEMENT

Next season's roster ....

Flaggert and Thomas can be a little slow defensively. Touchet, while not the fastest kid ever, has pretty good foot speed defensively and is one of our better defenders.

As far as our big men's FT percentage, I feel like they shot the freebies waaay more consistently towards the second half of the season. They all seem to have a nice stroke and arc on the ball as well. I think those percentages will grow significantly next year

Flaggert and Thomas can be a little slow defensively. Touchet, while not the fastest kid ever, has pretty good foot speed defensively and is one of our better defenders.

As far as our big men's FT percentage, I feel like they shot the freebies waaay more consistently towards the second half of the season. They all seem to have a nice stroke and arc on the ball as well. I think those percentages will grow significantly next year

Here's hoping...

I agree that Flaggert isn't the fastest choice, but he plays defense takes charges and knows what Floyd wants. That would be a lineup that would handcuff Omega and his speed a bit so I hope I'm wrong and maybe replace Flaggert with Isaiah Osborne and play 3 guards or Roderick Williams at the 3

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Watching the tournament games is a stark reminder that consistency is a premium for good teams. If Flaggert is a mid-season starter then next year's team is in trouble. His 2 charges per game are nice, but he lacks consistency and versatility on offense.

I expect our midseason starters to be as follows:

Gilyard (pg) - By all accounts, this kid is D1 ready. Floyd and Johnson repeatedly stated towards the end of this past season that teams are winning with freshman point guards. They forcasted the expectation they have for Gilyard.

Harris (sg) - He should be the team's leader next year. His biggest battles will be off the court. The staff has noted that DA's rooming with Omega has been tremendous in terms of setting a standard for work ethic and off the court conduct.

Thomas or Osborne (sf) - Thomas was the team's most improved player - offensively and with rebunding. He struggled defensively against strong NMSU type players. He will have to commit to the weight room this offseason or he will see Osborne replace him as a starter. Johnson said that Osborne may be the most athletic kid on next year's team. That's scary because the implication is that Osborne has Omega type athleticism.

Williams or Jones (pf) - The staff wants a Hoss at this position. Floyd and Johnson want somebody who will not get pushed around. Jones's potential is the sky and he will have to commit to working his ass off in the offseason and that includes free throws. The staff loves the manliness of Williams as physically he is ready to go - and he's good 70% of the time at the free throw line.

Wilms (c) - This kid hangs Floyd's moon. He needs to do six things in the offseason - eat, lift, practice free throws, eat, lift, and practice free throws.

I predict that Touchet will break out next year and will be a tremednous sixth man.

I agree with many of your points. I do have a few comments:

*On Roderick Williams, I don't see him as a PF. While he is crafty inside, and does get fouled alot, I don't think he is a back to the basket type guy; especially at the D1 level. At about 6'6", 210 lbs, he would be overmatched defensively. Many of his points in JC came in transition, rather than on the block.
*I think Osborne will contribute as well, but behind Omega. Again, at his size, he would struggle defensively against stronger SFs. Offensively, he is strictly a perimeter player. He needs to gain strength, and improve his outside shot.

Paul Thomas, I think has a ton of upside. His offensive game vastly improved from his freshman year to sophomore, and then even more so from the mid-point to the end of this last season. I believe he'll be too important offensively to Floyd not to have in the starting lineup. When both he and Willms are playing well inside the paint, they make it extremely difficult on the opposition. I'd like to see him continue to work on his mid to long range jumper. The kid has a nice touch and will be able to bring his defender out further.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
My only issue with Touchet and Flaggert both coming off the bench is that means they will probably be the 6th and 7th men and neither of them bring much in the way of scoring.

Maybe one of you insiders can clarify Titus Smith. Miner Rush says 6'-8" 230 lbs. Other sites say, 6,-7" or 8" 180 lbs. Quite a discrepancy.

Not an insider by any means, but I'd say somewhere in between judging by the looks of his body. 210-215 maybe.

Last edited:
Kids can self report on Rivals, so 230 is probably a bit high. However, I just looked at Scout and it says 227 lbs. 24/7 and ESPN have him at 180 but that could go back as far as the end of sophomore year.

Miner Mambo was talking about wanting a hoss at pf. Seems to me that 6-7 or 6-8 ; 230 lbs is pretty close to that

Based on who I think may leave and Brewer and Stevens not coming to Utep in my opinion at least right now, here's what I anticipate next year's team to look like and I believe we can win with this team.
Starters:
PG-Trey Touchet 6-2
SG- Omega Harris 6-2
F- Jake Flaggert 6-7
F- Paul Thomas 6-8
C- Matt Willms 7-1
Bench:
PG- Evan Gilyard 5-9
SG- Isaiah Osborne 6-5
F- Roderick Williams 6-7
F- Tirus Smith 6-7
C- Kelvin Jones 6-11

What about Barrett? I think he is a step up from Touchet athletically what do you think?

What about Barrett? I think he is a step up from Touchet athletically what do you think?
He is, but it's just about that. Touchet plays better defense, doesn't turn it over and makes smart basketball decisions. He'll pick up his scoring as he showed he voted down the stretch. I may be in the minority, but I think he's our starting PG next year.

He is, but it's just about that. Touchet plays better defense, doesn't turn it over and makes smart basketball decisions. He'll pick up his scoring as he showed he voted down the stretch. I may be in the minority, but I think he's our starting PG next year.
I agree Touchet is a smart, hard nosed player. Hopefully Barrett can improve over the break to get on the floor more next year, he's a talented kid as well.

I'm not opposed to Touchet starting, especially early on in the season. I just don't think Touchet AND Flags should start together. One or the other. We lose too much athleticism having both on the court at the same time for an extended duration. Just my .02 worth.

In my opinion, having Touchet at the point would be similar to what we experienced during Chris Craig's (yes, that Chris Craig) first year at UTEP. This would not be optimizing what Touchet brings to the table, and it is not a position he is comfortable with. Last year, in the few minutes that Artis was given a breather, it was Barrett who filled in at the point. When Omega was first brought in, there was talk about moving him over to the point. Ultimately, and for good reason, this idea was dropped and Omega stayed at off guard. Not to pick on Omega too much, but he is pretty loose with the ball and is prone to mind boggling turnovers. The last thing we need is two guys in the back court that struggle against ball pressure. If one of the young guys can come in and protect the ball and minimize mistakes, we may be ok. With any team that finishes under 500, there are many areas of potential improvement. Limiting turnovers, and valuing each possession are also on that list for next year.

I agree with Flaggert not starting, just not sure Floyd will see it, hope he does. My preferred line up is
Trey, Omega, Isaiah, Paul and Matt

Don't sleep on Kobe Magee. I think he's better than Gilyard.

Wilms
Thomas
Flaggert
Harris
Barret

Using both hands and both feet, I cannot even count the times Floyd has promised us that a recruit was going to help out immediately. However, with that said, I do recall him saying, in November, that Tirus Smith, as a senior in HS, would be able to compete for a starting job on what was the current team because he was that ready for college ball. Good or bad, I have high expectations for this kid.

Im hoping that by conference play our starting lineup is:

Gilyard
Omega
Tirus
PT
Willms

For this to happen, Gilyard and Smith will have to be as good as advertised. One can dream.

Using both hands and both feet, I cannot even count the times Floyd has promised us that a recruit was going to help out immediately. However, with that said, I do recall him saying, in November, that Tirus Smith, as a senior in HS, would be able to compete for a starting job on what was the current team because he was that ready for college ball. Good or bad, I have high expectations for this kid.

Im hoping that by conference play our starting lineup is:

Gilyard
Omega
Tirus
PT
Willms

For this to happen, Gilyard and Smith will have to be as good as advertised. One can dream.
This is the lineup that I would like to see.

I like Kobe Magee but he looks really small. I saw he was listed at 6'0", but that seems generous to me.

I like Kobe Magee but he looks really small. I saw he was listed at 6'0", but that seems generous to me.

I stood next to him and talked Miner ball with him at the SA airport on his way for his official. He is not 6 feet, and he is slight of build.

I have seen him play and he is skillful. And I've seen smallish cbb players be very effective. Just very hard to tell how good he can be judging by the competition he was playing.

We saw how DA bulking up made a tremendous difference from one year to the next in how he could handle the physicality in the lane. I suspect Magee will need to do the same thing to be an effective drive and dish pg.

We put too much into build and height sometimes. Anyone recall a guy who played at Wake named Chris Paul. He looked 15 years old in college. PG is skill, instincts vision and heart

Agree FanatiCoog. Super quick guy, with a nice mid-range game, and a super quick shot release. It will be interesting to see if his skills translate over to the D1 level. Probably closer to 5'10". Picture below standing next to Deon Barrett, who is listed at 5'10" o_O

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfpDo51UEAEc4X8.jpg
OMG...He looks like a Holocaust survivor. A soon as he hits town take him to L and J and order two Machaca plates then go to The Cattleman's and get two "Cowboys".

Reactions: mikesarabia
Really dude? You had to go there?? He will get stronger but he already has good instincts and uses his body well. Very heady player imo.
That's nice to hear. Hope it works out. FanatiCoog mentioned bulking up like DA which can be good or bad! Too much bulking up will cause you to miss critical free throws with the game on the line. Can make you to mechanical!

I know we are over on recruits, but dont be surprised if Floyd looks for a graduate transfer

In my opinion the starting lineup will be

Gilyard
Harris
Brewer/ Osborne
Thomas
Wilms

Back ups

Barrett
Touchet
Flaggert
Tyrus
Jones

Think we will be able to go ten deep next year

In my opinion the starting lineup will be

Gilyard
Harris
Brewer/ Osborne
Thomas
Wilms

Back ups

Barrett
Touchet
Flaggert
Tyrus
Jones

Think we will be able to go ten deep next year
It's actually Tirus Smith (you have Tyrus as his last name). I would place him as a starter instead of Brewer or Osbourne plus I don't think Brewer will become a Miner. Don't forget Roderick Williams.

This is the mentality of an A_al.

Go Miners....
Not sure what you are insinuating. Maybe you can explain. My comment was simply based on his skinny, undernourished appearance. Somewhere I read 150lbs. No doubt he has exceptional skills and noone wishes him success more than I, but can he take the physical combat at Div 1 level without putting some meat on that frame?
What is an A_al?. I'd like to know what I am.
GO MINERS!!!!!!!!

It's actually Tirus Smith (you have Tyrus as his last name). I would place him as a starter instead of Brewer or Osbourne plus I don't think Brewer will become a Miner. Don't forget Roderick Williams.

I just put tirus because I forgot his last name... and I meant Williams not brewer I don't know why I keep getting them confused

Reactions: mikesarabia
That's too bad. The few times I saw him play it seemed like he really hustled and just needed more minutes to get comfortable with the speed of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT