ADVERTISEMENT

Next season's roster ....

By my count that is 5 scholarships available for next year mas o menos.

We have 2 athletic prop 48s, 2 point guards and 2 inside guys coming in. That means someone else has to go.

By my count that is 5 scholarships available for next year mas o menos.

We have 2 athletic prop 48s, 2 point guards and 2 inside guys coming in. That means someone else has to go.

Where are the 5 schollies coming from?

Winn
Artis
Moore
Barnes
?

Every season we seem to hear that a player could be on an academic schollie. Does it ever happen though?

According to Verbal Commits, Isaiah Osborne is already on scholarship so we won't require an extra one for him. I think that leaves us with 5 scholarships open and 5 new adds for next year.

Floyd has never had a Recruiting Class at UTEP, which had more than 2 players stay more than 2 years.

Barrett is now the only one of this past year's Freshmen still here, after Moore, Cameron, and Barnes have now left. Apparently we needed the scholarship, but at what point does the madness of constantly pressing the reset button end? Seven recruiting classes under Floyd(with number 8 arriving next year) and not a single one of the seven recruiting classes has kept more than 2 players more than 2 years.

Reactions: picks up
Floyd has never had a Recruiting Class at UTEP, which had more than 2 players stay more than 2 years.

Barrett is now the only one of this past year's Freshmen still here, after Moore, Cameron, and Barnes have now left. Apparently we needed the scholarship, but at what point does the madness of constantly pressing the reset button end? Seven recruiting classes under Floyd(with number 8 arriving next year) and not a single one of the seven recruiting classes has kept more than 2 players more than 2 years.

I'm having a hard time remembering all the names and faces. Who was Moore again?

IMHO Cameron, in particular, revealed a great deal of potential during his limited minutes of playing time...I never had a chance to see the others enough to form an opinion. This does explain why there was such a flurry of recruiting over and above our allotted scholarships.

Jones was a 2015 recruit. So, it's entirely possible that last year's freshman class will have 0 returnees.

I heard some local boosters might get Jones into the farming business after school. Maybe that'll keep him here.

Didn't Floyd say years ago that Barbee left him a mess because there were so many upper classmen and the scholarships were not even spread out? I genuinely hope everyone in this class stays but it's almost a given we will watch the cycle repeat itself.

Didn't Floyd say years ago that Barbee left him a mess because there were so many upper classmen and the scholarships were not even spread out? I genuinely hope everyone in this class stays but it's almost a given we will watch the cycle repeat itself.

Actually I recall Floyd mentioning even last year the challenge he faced in replacing so many players after Barbee left (I think he signed around 9 that year). Basically, he mentioned that it was not possible to sign all impact type guys is a class that size. Now, as a direct result of going 0-fer for the 2016 class, he is now projected to bring in 8 new guys this year. Two of these new players will be sophomores next year, which spreads out the numbers a bit. This year, the staff is essentially recruiting for the last two years. There is no way you can build a program that way.

Last edited:
I think they should have a special ceremony to honor and say goodbye to the players we never knew and introduce the newest batch who we may or may not get to know. They could make this an annual event and give it a name like, "Hello-Goodbye".

Idk, why some of you are making a big deal about these kids leaving? Every Knowledgeable Miner fan knew these players were leaving. I know the departures under Floyd are very concerning, but these players didn't contribute, so why would some of you imply this would give Floyd an excuse next year? We knew these players were out when we saw the early recruiting class. To me this is of no surprise and changes absolutely knothing for next year.

Idk, why some of you are making a big deal about these kids leaving? Every Knowledgeable Miner fan knew these players were leaving. I know the departures under Floyd are very concerning, but these players didn't contribute, so why would some of you imply this would give Floyd an excuse next year? We knew these players were out when we saw the early recruiting class. To me this is of no surprise and changes absolutely knothing for next year.

Are you for real? I'm a "knowledgeable Miner fan" and I might've been able to guess who would leave but that's all it would've been.

And you're missing the point. Of course they didn't contribute, as very few freshmen do. The problem is, we keep bringing more and more young guns in, and most leave before they contribute a thing. What are we missing? Uhh...maybe player development. What's going to be different at this time next year, Nostradamus?

Give me a couple/few Juniors and Seniors who work hard and know the system, over some flash in the pan freshman who has only played against HS level competition. Most mid majors have to build a program on upper class men. How do you do that? You ****ing retain players.

Are you for real? I'm a "knowledgeable Miner fan" and I might've been able to guess who would leave but that's all it would've been.

And you're missing the point. Of course they didn't contribute, as very few freshmen do. The problem is, we keep bringing more and more young guns in, and most leave before they contribute a thing. What are we missing? Uhh...maybe player development. What's going to be different at this time next year, Nostradamus?

Give me a couple/few Juniors and Seniors who work hard and know the system, over some flash in the pan freshman who has only played against HS level competition. Most mid majors have to build a program on upper class men. How do you do that? You ****ing retain players.

Obviously just keeping unproductive Freshman players around so they can become unproductive Sophomores is not the answer. If they had something to offer they would have been given playing time this year. Recruiting is not an exact science and not all players live up to their potential. If they can't get it done in practice what makes you think they can play in a real game. I think Floyd has been around long enough to know if a player has Division 1 talent or not, unfortunately no one can know this until they get on campus. I consider a players first year as a try out so to speak. The right attitude, work ethic, and intelligence is something a player must have from the beginning. If they are not willing to put in the work then they will not play. If they are smart they will work harder to get where they need to be, if not they will ride the bench, get frustrated, and eventually they will be asked to leave. Retaining talented players is what we need as is the case with Barrett, you then fill in the holes with JC talent, transfers, or take a risk with another freshman. Things have changed from the 80's and even early 90's. Kids need to show they are worthy of a scholarship, nothing is a guarantee, too much pressure to win now.

Tim Cameron's mom passed during the year and I found it surprising that he decided to come back after he went home to be with his family. Not surprising he transferred to be closer to them I'm sure.

Doesn't help that we are stacked at two with;

Harris
Touchet
Osborne
Wade

The way Touchet came on late and seeing as how Harris is an unshakable starter and Osborne a long athletic slasher, and a big long strong guy in Wade, not surprising we would lose some guys at that spot.

My guess is that we will have at least 1 of our point guards transfer next year: Gilyard, Magee or Barrett unless Floyd lets them play two at a time during stretches.

We now have Flaggert and Rod Williams at the 3, possibly Brewer, Osborne and wade can also play here.

Thomas and Tirus Smith at the 4

Wilms, Jones, Venegas and St. Pierre at the 5

It actually looks okay right now. If we were to lose say Harris, Thomas, Wilms, Barrett or one of the top newbies in Williams or Osborne, I'd be worried but we still look better than we have in a long time in terms of depth.

Obviously just keeping unproductive Freshman players around so they can become unproductive Sophomores is not the answer. If they had something to offer they would have been given playing time this year. Recruiting is not an exact science and not all players live up to their potential. If they can't get it done in practice what makes you think they can play in a real game. I think Floyd has been around long enough to know if a player has Division 1 talent or not, unfortunately no one can know this until they get on campus. I consider a players first year as a try out so to speak. The right attitude, work ethic, and intelligence is something a player must have from the beginning. If they are not willing to put in the work then they will not play. If they are smart they will work harder to get where they need to be, if not they will ride the bench, get frustrated, and eventually they will be asked to leave. Retaining talented players is what we need as is the case with Barrett, you then fill in the holes with JC talent, transfers, or take a risk with another freshman. Things have changed from the 80's and even early 90's. Kids need to show they are worthy of a scholarship, nothing is a guarantee, too much pressure to win now.

In my world, one out of five freshmen staying around does not demonstrate proficient talent rating. Whether Floyd runs them off, or they leave of their own accord. Furthermore, we don't even know for sure if Barrett is going to stay. One thing I feel pretty certain of, is there will be more movement before all is said and done. Not sure who, what, when, where, and why, but...

Again, "most" freshmen ARE unproductive. Especially in the G5 club. The growth from freshman year to Junior year can be tremendous, although we as Miner fans would know little about that. MTSU, Wichita State, St. Mary's, etc are all top heavy with upper class men talent.

Ehhh, at this point I'm just beating a dead horse. I just had to reply to natty. Not sure why I keep doing so, though. To each their own. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
Assuming we sign two in the late period, and everyone else who signed early is eligible, by my count we are still two over. IF Touchet goes the academic scholarship only route, then we are still one over. I think it pretty easy to speculate who that one may be.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
MTSU, Wichita State, St. Mary's, etc are all top heavy with upper class men talent.
I count 5 contribuors (non-walkons) who have completed their freshman through senior years here under Floyd: Bohannon, Cooper, Washburn, Lang, Vint. Maybe I'm missing a couple. Those other programs might have 5 of those players on their team in one year. Coincidence?

I count 5 contribuors (non-walkons) who have completed their freshman through senior years here under Floyd: Bohannon, Cooper, Washburn, Lang, Vint. Maybe I'm missing a couple. Those other programs might have 5 of those players on their team in one year. Coincidence?

BOOM! Thank you for pointing that out and using conceptual framework that really highlights the point I was trying to make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT