ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

Many here have expressed concern about Doc Sadler returning as HC. I mentioned earlier that I found it odd that Doc would be amongst the final 5. That said, it seems the biggest complaint (only complaint?) I've read is that he was not a very good recruiter. Don't assistants do most of the recruiting?

As for Tang, I'm getting less and less excited about him. Except that for me it's not even a basketball issue. I know my views are amongst the minority here but I keep reading about how Tang would demand -- or at least ask/expect -- that his spirituality be very open and a large part of how he does his job. That concerns me. I am NOT against someone being a spiritual person. I just don't like it being thrown out there constantly and it seems like this would be the case with Tang.

Don't beat me up too badly, please. I'm just not into religion. Have a chaplain say a prayer before tip-off and leave it at that.

Oh, I'm good with either Jans or Golding. Or Billy Gillispie even though it's already reported that he's not interested. And I'll stick with my prediction in the prediction thread: Chris Jans will be the next head coach at UTEP.

If Doc comes to UTEP it sums up everything wrong with UTEP Athletics. Instead of being daring and stepping out their comfort zone they’re going to possibly listen to some douche donors and play buddy ball. I hope Senter reads this because I’d prefer UTEP play in a shithole of an arena for a newer/hungrier coach than in a renovated Don while having our own sloppy seconds.

Many here have expressed concern about Doc Sadler returning as HC. I mentioned earlier that I found it odd that Doc would be amongst the final 5. That said, it seems the biggest complaint (only complaint?) I've read is that he was not a very good recruiter. Don't assistants do most of the recruiting?

As for Tang, I'm getting less and less excited about him. Except that for me it's not even a basketball issue. I know my views are amongst the minority here but I keep reading about how Tang would demand -- or at least ask/expect -- that his spirituality be very open and a large part of how he does his job. That concerns me. I am NOT against someone being a spiritual person. I just don't like it being thrown out there constantly and it seems like this would be the case with Tang.

Don't beat me up too badly, please. I'm just not into religion. Have a chaplain say a prayer before tip-off and leave it at that.

Oh, I'm good with either Jans or Golding. Or Billy Gillispie even though it's already reported that he's not interested. And I'll stick with my prediction in the prediction thread: Chris Jans will be the next head coach at UTEP.
Reading comments from Baylor fans I think that's the main reason why he hasn't pursued many jobs or been hired. His religious influence on the team.

At this point if we get a coach that can win and win consistently they can sacrifice virgins to Satan himself.

I don't dislike Sadler. He won with Gillespie's players and did have us play decent against a tough #6seed in Utah. The next year he did ok with what was left and made the NIT. So from a winning standpoint he did win here. However we got to see him at both Nebraska which for the record, nobody has won in Basketball there in years. S.Miss was a crap show that he slowly made decent. For me he's just Bla... Terrible 1st year, .500 second and 3rd year, 4th year sniffs 20 wins and we make a run in the CBI, following year Peaks at 22-23 wins and NIT 1st round loss and then repeat that 5 year span all over. Same crap nothing to inspire hungry Miner Fans.

It's always like that, or often is. We think a hire is a slam dunk, only to find out it wasn't, and vice-versa. I remember when IU hired Archie Miller. I thought they'd finally found their guy.

I will give Doc a chance (if he's the guy) but it just feels like that's the easy "safe" choice. And considering the fact we haven't done jack in basketball in a LONG TIME means this isn't the time for a safe choice. We need a home run choice.

I believe that Doc is a good bench coach, but, as near as I can recreat it, here is a list of recruits that he brought to UTEP over three recruiting classes:
Stanley Branch
Vernon Carr
Kelvin Davis
Miguel Ayala
Stefon Jackson
Will Kimble
Edgar Moreno
Kevin Henderson
Maurice Thomas
Tremaine Fuqua
Jeremy Sampson
Victor Ramahlo
Darren Clarke
Dale Vanwright
Corey Speight
Pearson Smith

Now Jackson is obviously an all-timer, and there a (very) few players here that were decent, but you couldn't put together a winning team with these recruits even if they all were on the same roster. This is why having Sadler as our head coach would be a disaster.

This is crazy. I never thought he'd be a finalst, now he's a front runner. If Senter makes this decision and it goes horribly wrong that will cost his job I hope!!! If Sadler is the guy, I'm gonna bitch, moan and complain, until I see an NCAA appearances and sustained success or he leaves us in a good state. So I will go on the record as saying, I won't like it, but If he produces I'll be fine. I just don't believe in him beyond just a respectable .500ish team and I guess Senter and Wilson are fine with that.

This is crazy. I never thought he'd be a finalst, now he's a front runner. If Senter makes this decision and it goes horribly wrong that will cost his job I hope!!! If Sadler is the guy, I'm gonna bitch, moan and complain, until I see an NCAA appearances and sustained success or he leaves us in a good state. So I will go on the record as saying, I won't like it, but If he produces I'll be fine. I just don't believe in him beyond just a respectable .500ish team and I guess Senter and Wilson are fine with that.

If this happens could this be a more disappointing hire than Dimel?

No panic here. I still feel strongly that Joe Golding will be the head coach. If Joe Golding isn’t your choice, I think you should feel confident as well that your guy will be the choice. At the end of the day, regardless of any promises that are being made, with the options that Senter has before him, Sadler will not be the choice.

I had another high level donor confirm that these discussions are taking place

What donors are this stupid? My only guess is that they see Sadler as the closest thing to Haskins. He is a good bench coach, runs a fairly vanilla offense, and did bend Haskins' ear a lot when he was coaching at UTEP. How is it, though, that they are blind to the horrible roster that he left for Barbee? That he had only one high caliber recruit in three classes as a head coach? Yeah, I get it, theoretically you can mitigate this issue by hiring great recruiting assistant coaches, but when has Sadler done that? It certainly wasn't here. We have two great candidates in Golding and Tang, and a solid one in Jans. Patrick is still an unknown to me. But Sadler? It would be a huge mistake. Please, please don't make this mistake Senter. Please!

So San Jose hired the former HC of Nebraska and we're going to hire an assistant from Nebraska. Such a shame what our program has become.
Corona, that doesn't really make sense to say that. Sadler is also the former coach at Nebraska and Miles wasn't working last year while Sadler was an assistant after leaving S.Miss. I am not supporting Sadler, but Miles and him are no difference.

I heard a rumor today that the top two boosters are telling Senter to hire Doc and in return, they will renovate the Haskins center. Let's see how this plays out.
Senter couldn't even raise the support to finish the Sun Bowl renovations without selling bonds, nor could he raise the support for a true training table for the athletic department. Who in their right mind would take such a rumor seriously with this in mind?

I had another high level donor confirm that these discussions are taking place
Discussions are just that, discussions.

Historically speaking most on here are not fans of Doc but the boosters like to play "I made a new friend he coaches at [place d1 school name here]".

Heck, Barbee said three years back he has friends here. Really?

So San Jose hired the former HC of Nebraska and we're going to hire an assistant from Nebraska. Such a shame what our program has become.
The same logic that people are using for Doc is the same that fans of other schools have for Tim Miles. Would you rather Miles be the coach here?

Here's the thing with Miles and Sadler. Did Sadler leave Miles the NCAA team he won conference coach of the year with? If he did then his recruiting isn't as bad. If he didn't then Miles is the better coach.

Reactions: DaveJans
The question remains...why do the big donors even want Doc? What does he provide? Just don't get it.
Senter and Wilson have to realize what fan the base feels. Whether they care or not is another matter. There has never been this level of unrest in Minerville

Reactions: Lil_Train
UTEP is eating itself alive.... Nothing against Doc personally... but this news makes me want to shit myself and slap it all over my face in a manic, psychological break down... lol Why are the leadership of the school, we love, so boneheaded.
🤣🤣🤣

Again hoping it's not Sadler, but just a question. If it is Sadler and he hired Hardaway as an assistant and some decent recruiters, wins after a couple of years and gets us to an NCAA. Then leaves to a Bigger School and Hardaway gets his dream job at Utep and takes us to new heights. Would that be acceptable? Alot of what if's, but I'm trying to make lemonade out of the Lemmons Senter keeps handing us.

They got 500k from Texas. They can match what Terry got, at least
Also, it seems reasonable to discuss minimum salary expectations prior to formally interviewing. Why waste additional time and money if the Terry salary was no longer an option?

Why do the donors want him?

Doc is extremely carasmatic and the donors loved him while he was here. He made lots of friends and would visit them when he was back in town.

There's been Doc Sadler sightings around town over the last 15 years.

These guys like their balls polished. Barbee wasn't that guy and Floyd didn't need the money but still was nice. But we had 3 guys in a row in Rab, Billy G, and Doc, who were everyone's best buddy.

I can see it now, Senter introducing Sadler as the coach who had the highest percentage of wins at UTEP! Lord help us! Senter can’t be trusted lol

Again hoping it's not Sadler, but just a question. If it is Sadler and he hired Hardaway as an assistant and some decent recruiters, wins after a couple of years and gets us to an NCAA. Then leaves to a Bigger School and Hardaway gets his dream job at Utep and takes us to new heights. Would that be acceptable? Alot of what if's, but I'm trying to make lemonade out of the Lemmons Senter keeps handing us.
If Sadler is hired and takes the Miners to the big dance in his 3rd year he will be 63. I don't think a bigger job is in his future.

If he is hired when we had a golden opportunity to bring in a coach that would fire up the fan base and return UTEP basketball to contending for conference titles then UTEP has a clown show at the top, no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT