ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

Apologies for asking (I don't research potential hires or keep up with what former players have done since their playing days) but what's in Young's background that would be concerning?
Jones-Young was convicted for possession of 96 lbs of marijuana (1999), and spent a year in prison.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I'm STILL not understanding the fascination with Kimani. Yes, he was a standout player here. Yes, he is a good assistant coach at UConn. However....

When has anyone ever seen ANY interest from him about coming back besides our silly lists on here? When has he ever been in the running for ANY college HC position? Has he even traveled west of the mississippi since UTEP?

We seriously need to forget guys from our past years and focus forward. "IF" Golding were to be successful here (Which aint hapnin), I would think his top assistant should be the front runner for the job. Not Doc (bad/wrong rumor) Not Barbee. Not Floyd. Not Billy Clyde....WE NEED FRESH!

I'm STILL not understanding the fascination with Kimani. Yes, he was a standout player here. Yes, he is a good assistant coach at UConn. However....

When has anyone ever seen ANY interest from him about coming back besides our silly lists on here? When has he ever been in the running for ANY college HC position? Has he even traveled west of the mississippi since UTEP?

We seriously need to forget guys from our past years and focus forward. "IF" Golding were to be successful here (Which aint hapnin), I would think his top assistant should be the front runner for the job. Not Doc (bad/wrong rumor) Not Barbee. Not Floyd. Not Billy Clyde....WE NEED FRESH!
UCONN just won a national championship and he's one of their main recruiters. He has ties to the NY/NJ area due to his AAU coaching background there.

I don't think it's really a thing where he's only being mentioned because he played at UTEP. Him being a former Miner might give us a chance at getting him though. He has a good resume and can recruit.

"Young was featured in The Athletic as one of 25 up-and-coming assistant coaches in the country and he also was one of just 50 assistant coaches invited to attend Nike’s 2015 Villa 7 Consortium, which introduces rising assistants to sitting athletic directors."

"Kimani Young is in his fifth season on Dan Hurley’s coaching staff at UConn, joining the staff in April, 2018, and assuming the title of associate head coach in September, 2020. Along with recruiting responsibilities, practice planning and game strategy, Young concentrates on coaching the Huskies’ perimeter players, already helping five players reach all-conference status, including First Team selections Christian Vital in 2019-20, James Bouknight in 2020-21 and R.J. Cole in 2021-22. Young has also helped UConn land three consecutive Top 20 recruiting classes."

At this point, the only reason he hasn't become a HC is because of his arrest/jail time.

What we need is a good coach. If that coach has past ties to the program, fine. If he doesn't, fine. We need to hire the best coach available, and not use past ties to the program as either a plus or minus.

What we need is a good coach. If that coach has past ties to the program, fine. If he doesn't, fine. We need to hire the best coach available, and not use past ties to the program as either a plus or minus.
I agree, however, it is sooooo common on here when we need a new coach, the first ones listed (and glued to) are somehow tied to UTEP. Kimani is mentioned all the time. I see no evidence he would even consider it. I would bet money he would wait until he got something up near UConn, where he is more comfortable. (IF he ever gets a shot anyway)
Every time we need ANY coach, this board goes nuts with past players/coaches.
This football search was probably the best as far as guesses I have seen in a long time. MOST names were outside of our tree.

Look, I believe we need to hire the best person available, but the dreams of someone wanting to come "home" shouldn't be our priority.

That is all...

Seriously? He committed the crime 25 years ago, served the time, and has been a model citizen since. He is a fantastic assistant coach, and will get the chance to be a head coach someday. Yet you're going to crucify him for that one mistake? Ridiculous.
One mistake ? You mean the one time he got caught. Unlikely it was the only time he did that

One mistake ? You mean the one time he got caught. Unlikely it was the only time he did that
And what has he done since? Turned his life around. I'm guessing that you were a huge fan of Price when he was coaching here. Did you accept him despite the much more recent, at the time, mistake he had made that led to his firing at Alabama? Yet you condemn Kimani for a 25 year old mistake?

And what has he done since? Turned his life around. I'm guessing that you were a huge fan of Price when he was coaching here. Did you accept him despite the much more recent, at the time, mistake he had made that led to his firing at Alabama? Yet you condemn Kimani for a 25 year old mistake?

You're comparing going to a strip club vs. dealing drugs?

You're comparing going to a strip club vs. dealing drugs?
No one but Mike Price and a stripper really knows what happened, but there is a very real chance that more happened than just going to a strip club. And that incident was fresh when we hired Price, while Kimani's infraction took place 25 years ago. I was all in for hiring Price then, and if he is ever hired here I will support Kimani. I believe that it is very possible for people to learn from their mistakes.

No one but Mike Price and a stripper really knows what happened, but there is a very real chance that more happened than just going to a strip club. And that incident was fresh when we hired Price, while Kimani's infraction took place 25 years ago. I was all in for hiring Price then, and if he is ever hired here I will support Kimani. I believe that it is very possible for people to learn from their mistakes.

What else? They had sex? You're comparing possibly having sex with a stripper to trafficking marijuana?

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
You mean prostitution? Now he’s trafficking cocaine? A bit exaggerated, no?

Price was never convicted of any crimes. Even so, prostitution is a misdemeanor.
I'm not sure if you are all trolling or not, but I keep laughing at the comments comparing going to a strip club vs. dealing drugs.

I made a mistake and said cocaine instead of marijuana.

Reactions: MinerFan79
We don’t really know what Mike Price did considering he successfully sued SI for their expose

Reactions: EPUTEP
38 states have made marijuana legal for medicinal purposes and 24 of those have included it for recreation, only the most puritanical (hypocritically so) states haven't...yet. A little discernment is needed in Young's case.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
38 states have made marijuana legal for medicinal purposes and 24 of those have included it for recreation, only the most puritanical (hypocritically so) states haven't...yet. A little discernment is needed in Young's case.

He was illegally dealing 96 pounds of marijuana. No discernment is needed.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Seriously? He committed the crime 25 years ago, served the time, and has been a model citizen since. He is a fantastic assistant coach, and will get the chance to be a head coach someday. Yet you're going to crucify him for that one mistake? Ridiculous.
This! Second Chance Coaching U! Petrino, Patino, Price, Nutt, Jans, etc all got second chances.

My bible is the same KJV bible Tio Senter has on his nightstand. Haven’t read it yet, but the Cliff Notes mentions something about forgiveness and salvation. What greater vessel to spread the word (not UIW) than our Vice President/Director of Athletics!

Fire CJG and get us Slick Willie or KJY!

F.Y.I.

The total U.S. cannabis supply was estimated to top 48.8 million pounds in 2022.​

This! Second Chance Coaching U! Petrino, Patino, Price, Nutt, Jans, etc all got second chances.

My bible is the same KJV bible Tio Senter has on his nightstand. Haven’t read it yet, but the Cliff Notes mentions something about forgiveness and salvation. What greater vessel to spread the word (not UIW) than our Vice President/Director of Athletics!

Fire CJG and get us Slick Willie or KJY!
Wasn't there something in there about "don't judge lest 'ye be judged"?

Marijuana for medicinal purposes is like saying the NIL is only for the top known players that have proven themselves. It's stupid.

I agree, however, it is sooooo common on here when we need a new coach, the first ones listed (and glued to) are somehow tied to UTEP. Kimani is mentioned all the time. I see no evidence he would even consider it. I would bet money he would wait until he got something up near UConn, where he is more comfortable. (IF he ever gets a shot anyway)
Every time we need ANY coach, this board goes nuts with past players/coaches.
This football search was probably the best as far as guesses I have seen in a long time. MOST names were outside of our tree.

Look, I believe we need to hire the best person available, but the dreams of someone wanting to come "home" shouldn't be our priority.

That is all...
A few have said that, otherwise I think most agree with you. I think Pickmyaxe summarized it well. Top recruiter/assistant at a championship program. Barbee, Sanchez (didnt work), Tang, Young? Somebody will get him eventually. Given his history and the fact the he played at UTEP tell me it's possible.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Just a little perspective on the 96 lbs of pot and not allowing someone a chance at a job. Something makes 30 to 40 billion dollars a year and about half of that is for the states (taxes).

What perspective? Young committed a federal crime. It's not hard to understand.

Also, you need a license to legally sell marijuana.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT