Next UTEP coach is...

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2019
I dont think the G-league even makes money in general. I would go watch them occasionally if a team were here.
Same, but this is what we’re hoping will come in as an “anchor tenant”. Really? We’re building an arena for this?

El Paso is extremely lucky it hasn’t been or built or near completion as of last March. Would just be a money drain.

Roy_Bigwood_05

MI Regular
Dec 22, 2016
Same, but this is what we’re hoping will come in as an “anchor tenant”. Really? We’re building an arena for this?

El Paso is extremely lucky it hasn’t been or built or near completion as of last March. Would just be a money drain.
I agree and I would hope not man, IMO the anchor main tenant's should be concerts, all sorts of large regional conventions, and other stuff that people will actually go downtown to and spend bread, EP isn't a big sports town like some like to claim, its an event town. would be cool to have a G-league team for us sports die hards, but unless you got mad events lined up that will draw parking money, concession money, other entertainment money bars/restaurants stuff like that then I think it would be a money drain especially for minor league sports only or just banking on a sports team to pay the bills. I don't think fans will be lined up for tickets to see the EP 69ers versus Rio Grande City Vipers G-league matchup lol

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2019
I agree and I would hope not man, IMO the anchor main tenant's should be concerts, all sorts of large regional conventions, and other stuff that people will actually go downtown to and spend bread, EP isn't a big sports town like some like to claim, its an event town. would be cool to have a G-league team for us sports die hards, but unless you got mad events lined up that will draw parking money, concession money, other entertainment money bars/restaurants stuff like that then I think it would be a money drain especially for minor league sports only or just banking on a sports team to pay the bills. I don't think fans will be lined up for tickets to see the EP 69ers versus Rio Grande City Vipers G-league matchup lol
Exactly. How many times can you have a boxing, wrestling card each year? Twice each maybe? And that’s IF - UTEP doesn’t bid for the same event at the DHC.

Not to mention, the longer the process drags out, the shittier the arena will be. It’s on it’s way to becoming a 2025 version of the Coliseum.

UTEPMiners8106

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 15, 2013
Exactly. How many times can you have a boxing, wrestling card each year? Twice each maybe? And that’s IF - UTEP doesn’t bid for the same event at the DHC.

Not to mention, the longer the process drags out, the shittier the arena will be. It’s on it’s way to becoming a 2025 version of the Coliseum.
They’re going to have to pass another bond to cover the costs. That on top of the tax increases this year is just too much.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2019
They’re going to have to pass another bond to cover the costs. That on top of the tax increases this year is just too much.
Yuup, if we have to re-vote on it, 100% getting voted down. I voted for it the first time, but I have no confidence the city can complete it in a timely fashion. Add in the extra taxes, **** that.

Reactions: Dmanminer

UTEPMiners8106

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 15, 2013
Yuup, if we have to re-vote on it, 100% getting voted down. I voted for it the first time, but I have no confidence the city can complete it in a timely fashion. Add in the extra taxes, **** that.
I’m not voting for it either but I have a feeling it could pass because I’m sure people want it because they feel it would bring money to the city and I’m sure a lot of people would just see the Bond on the ballot and just say “sure, why not?”

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

WestTx12

Rookie
Jul 31, 2018
Yes I agree with what you are saying. Doesn't make sense at all.

Regarding the arena, I assume Mountainstar is pushing it because of the owner's business side with hotels, etc. Not team sports related correct?

You are correct. It benefits real estate holdings in the area including hotels.

Reactions: MinerFan79

Latest posts