ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

I’ve seen twice now where people say something along the line of...Whatever Joe (Golding) touches, turns to gold. You don’t hear that said about too many coaches, or people in general for that matter.

Hell, it’s even in part of his name!

Need to consider Tom Brown at West Texas. Everyone is missing the boat on him and the success he has had. He knows how to win, recruit and build a program. He took over a 9-20 squad with only 3 players on the roster and within six years has built them into a D2 powerhouse.

2017 - 26-9 - SweetSixteen
2018 - 32-4 - Final Four
2019 34-4 - Elite 8
2020 - 32-1 - Covid but was ranked in top 5 all year
2021 - 19-3 - National Championship Finalist

He has had 4 All Americans during this time and has show the ability to recruit in Texas, Colorado and back into Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Hopefully he's isn't using us to leverage a raise at ACU. Can we outbid them?
They have deep pocketed donors. Three donors combined contributed 55 million to build their new football stadiums.

Private donations fully funded thier 30 million dollar arena upgrade 6 weeks after it was announced.

They'll definitely make a run to keep him.

I'm excited he's considering a move. I didn't think he would. From a basketball perspective its a lateral move. He's been to the dance twice at ACU and won a game as 14 seed in a one bid league. That what the conference tournament champ in CUSA plays for every year. UNT was a 13 and won a game. I think the ceiling at ACU and UTEP is pretty much the same. The fact that he's interested in this job thats harder than his current job tells me he's got balls. That makes me excited. Interesting to see what happens. Cautiously optimistic but ready for the possibility Senter screws the pooch and hires Menzies and we go into a full chernobyl meltdown.

They have deep pocketed donors. Three donors combined contributed 55 million to build their new football stadiums.

Private donations fully funded thier 30 million dollar arena upgrade 6 weeks after it was announced.

They'll definitely make a run to keep him.

I'm excited he's considering a move. I didn't think he would. From a basketball perspective its a lateral move. He's been to the dance twice at ACU and won a game as 14 seed in a one bid league. That what the conference tournament champ in CUSA plays for every year. UNT was a 13 and won a game. I think the ceiling at ACU and UTEP is pretty much the same. The fact that he's interested in this job thats harder than his current job tells me he's got balls. That makes me excited. Interesting to see what happens. Cautiously optimistic but ready for the possibility Senter screws the pooch and hires Menzies and we go into a full chernobyl meltdown.

So someone help me out here, please. Golding won ONE big game. Against Texas in the NCAAs. He's been there 8 years and as far as I can tell won ONE big game. I mean, even UTEP beat defending national champion BYU in 1985 for UTEP's ONLY win that year.

What am I missing?

Maybe it's cuz winning the southland or now wac hasn't lead to a p5 job. There has been a couple of cusa coaches that have been hired to bigger programs after winning in cusa.

So someone help me out here, please. Golding won ONE big game. Against Texas in the NCAAs. He's been there 8 years and as far as I can tell won ONE big game. I mean, even UTEP beat defending national champion BYU in 1985 for UTEP's ONLY win that year.

What am I missing?
ACU was a bad d2 basketball program when Golding got the job. He guided them from d2 through the four year transition period to d1 . Then making the ncaa tourney 2 out of the first three years ACU has been eligible for d1 postseason. Remarkable build. Especially when you realize they had ro get through SFA. The Jack's have to be the top mid major program in Texas the last decade.

What am I missing?
That's one more tournament win than Barbee has. Billy hasnt won a tournament game since the 2006 season.

That's one more tournament win than Barbee has. Billy hasnt won a tournament game since the 2006 season.
Barbee's team ran into a buzz saw. A team that literally could have won the Naty if Hayward's last shot goes in against Duke. A team that was in the championship game the next year too.

I see what you are saying though. He never won an NCAA game at UTEP. Barbee messed up by leaving. Had he stayed after his 1 good successful season then he could have really built a powerful team here and would have definitely had us winning games in the dance. The trajectory was there. It was his as well as our loss when he decided to leave. He was our best recruiter and guided one of our most exciting teams in the past 30 years.

I have nothing against Golden. I think he could be really good, however I think it a legit concern regarding his capacity to recruit if at UTEP.

What am I missing?
I mean, (#1) winning 75 games in three years, (#2) two conference championships, (#3) two NCAA Tournament appearances AS WELL as (#4) beating UT, and (#5) becoming one of the nations best defensive teams forcing the most turnovers in the country for the last two years: might be “what your missing” about Golding. Don’t think any of us want him solely based on the huge upset of UT. His resume is extremely loaded.

I like Barbee because he has the blueprint he knows how to win at UTEP. I have no doubt he would dominate cusa 2.0. People forget he got an unlucky draw in that tourney. He got the second best team in the tournament.

Barbee's team ran into a buzz saw. A team that literally could have won the Naty if Hayward's last shot goes in against Duke. A team that was in the championship game the next year too.

I see what you are saying though. He never won an NCAA game at UTEP. Barbee messed up by leaving. Had he stayed after his 1 good successful season then he could have really built a powerful team here and would have definitely had us winning games in the dance. The trajectory was there. It was his as well as our loss when he decided to leave. He was our best recruiter and guided one of our most exciting teams in the past 30 years.

I have nothing against Golden. I think he could be really good, however I think it a legit concern regarding his capacity to recruit if at UTEP.
He also had a career at Auburn. Go .500 in conference beat a couple of cupcakes ooc and you're in the tournament. His recruiting and coaching weren't at that level. Why do you think he hasn't received another shot to be a HC?

What am I missing?
Watch a game if you can. Watch a replay of the Texas game if you can. Look how outmanned ACU should’ve been. Watch how disciplined they are. Look at the amount of effort they give. Look at the team aspect they play with. Look at how they respond to Golding. Watch Golding coach from the side. It did not take long to see that this is a well coached team, rather than 5 individuals running around aimlessly, like we’ve seen for so many damn years.

He’s doing this with guys that were passed over not by Baylor, Gonzaga, Kansas etc, but rather by the UTSAs, Tulanes, and Georgia Southerns of cbb.

It took him a few years to get there but they sucked before his arrival. Then his first 6 years, ACU wasn’t even eligible for Div 1 post season play. How the **** does one recruit to a school who is ineligible for post season play? So in reality, he’s really only had 4 seasons. I’d judge his achievement from 2017 forward.

But watch for yourself. I’m not trying to sell you on the guy. After all, I had Ogden as 1st choice on my coach wish list and Terry 3rd the last time we were hiring a coach. So what do I know?😎

He also had a career at Auburn. Go .500 in conference beat a couple of cupcakes ooc and you're in the tournament. His recruiting and coaching weren't at that level. Why do you think he hasn't received another shot to be a HC?
Auburn was a bad fit. He took the wrong job a year to early.

Auburn was a bad fit. He took the wrong job a year to early.
I never like that... a bad fit.... how? Was he not allowed to recruit there or he had to play a certain style of basketball there? Could he only coach with one eye open??

he just wasn’t any good there and failed end of conversation....

Reactions: JCorona
I never like that... a bad fit.... how? Was he not allowed to recruit there or he had to play a certain style of basketball there? Could he only coach with one eye open??

Exactly. Let's not forget that TF beat him in his second year here. That was after all of Barbee's recruits had graduated.

There are bad fits. Bryce Drew is a good coach was a bad fit at Vandy. Tommy Amaker is a good coach. He was a bad fit at Michigan. Archie Miller is a good coach but a bad fit at Indiana. I could go on and on. There are countless examples of bad fits.

There are bad fits. Bryce Drew is a good coach was a bad fit at Vandy. Tommy Amaker is a good coach. He was a bad fit at Michigan. Archie Miller is a good coach but a bad fit at Indiana. I could go on and on. There are countless examples of bad fits.
Tim Floyd at UTEP

Reactions: Lil_Train
The thing I'm afraid with Barbee is that he doesn't have the pipeline he used to have. In CUSA he had the Memphis pipeline. The city knew him and respected him. He could sell the kids and their parents on the opportunity to see their kid play when UTEP visited and at the conference tournament.

I read Fanático say about the Kentucky pipeline. Is it really there? That's a big drop from Kentucky to UTEP. Are the parents supposed to be excited about seeing their kids play in Bowling Green once every four years?

It ended in bad terms. We still don't have charter flights or do we? I remember him bragging about how Auburn did and we didn't. Does his wife want to return? Is El Paso cool enough for her now?

Until Golding is out of play I don't like any other names.

Good point.. He needed to recruit even better and quicker at Auburn because of the jump in conference. Maybe his pipeline from Memphis had dried up by then. Who knows.

Right now Barbee has big recruiting connections again. It could give us a jump start. If Golding is hired maybe he's got some things up his sleeve as well (or coaching connections that can help in that regard).

Watch a game if you can. Watch a replay of the Texas game if you can. Look how outmanned ACU should’ve been. Watch how disciplined they are. Look at the amount of effort they give. Look at the team aspect they play with. Look at how they respond to Golding. Watch Golding coach from the side. It did not take long to see that this is a well coached team, rather than 5 individuals running around aimlessly, like we’ve seen for so many damn years.

He’s doing this with guys that were passed over not by Baylor, Gonzaga, Kansas etc, but rather by the UTSAs, Tulanes, and Georgia Southerns of cbb.

It took him a few years to get there but they sucked before his arrival. Then his first 6 years, ACU wasn’t even eligible for Div 1 post season play. How the **** does one recruit to a school who is ineligible for post season play? So in reality, he’s really only had 4 seasons. I’d judge his achievement from 2017 forward.

But watch for yourself. I’m not trying to sell you on the guy. After all, I had Ogden as 1st choice on my coach wish list and Terry 3rd the last time we were hiring a coach. So what do I know?😎
Just curious MF, who is on your wish list this time around? I'm 0-fer two the last two hires, especially in regard to CTF, so I probably should cut Senter some slack this time around 😀

Messrs. Minerforlife, axnfools1, NorthTexasRed, and MineroFanatico, my thanks for the excellent info regarding Joe Golding. I appreciate it very much. The info is most helpful in understanding why you and others are passionate about Golding. It appears that he truly is an outstanding candidate to take over our Miners program if Jim Senter will have him. Thank you.

Just curious MF, who is on your wish list this time around? I'm 0-fer two the last two hires, especially in regard to CTF, so I probably should cut Senter some slack this time around 😀
Me too. I was all about Floyd when he signed his contract. Then Terry was pretty high on my list, so I see the folly in throwing names out there. However, I like the game. So take it all with a grain of salt.
In order:

1. Golding
2. Tang
3. Foster/Hardaway
4. Barbee
5. Jans

I’ve reluctantly accepted that the BCG train has left the station. What about you train? Who is on your wish list?

Last edited:
Me too. I was all about Floyd when he signed his contract. Then Terry was pretty high on my list, so I see the folly in throwing names out there. However, I like the game. So take it all with a grain of salt.
In order:
My top hopes also, let’s hope Senter doesn’t go crazy just to show his brilliance.

1. Golding
2. Tang
3. Foster/Hardaway
4. Barbee
5. Jans

I reluctantly accepted that the BCG train has left the station. What about you train?

In order:

1. Golding
2. Tang
3. Foster/Hardaway
4. Barbee
5. Jans

What about you train?
1. Golding
2. Barbee
3. Tang
4. Jans
5. Keller

I have a gut feeling that the guy ultimately selected may not even be on this list, but there it is. Maybe third time is the charm.

What am I missing?

Remember that he took over a bad Division 2 program. It was 2014. By rule, a team transitioning from D2 to D1 cannot make the NCAA for four seasons. That hurts in recruiting and building. Despite that, in the 4 years eligible, they made the CIT, and 2 NCAA's and of course 2020 tourney canceled.

If I had to pick either Billy G or Barbee I would take Barbee no questions asked. I get what you’re saying Corona about his failures at Auburn, but he’s spent a long time working under Calipari at Kentucky and last time he left him when he was at Memphis he had some nice contacts built up which helped. Also, he doesn’t have to recruit talent in order to beat Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, etc. He just needs to bring in talent so we can beat WKU, LA Tech, NMSU and so forth. You would think he could do that right?

Of course but if you look at his last two years at Auburn. Which by then his system and players are in place he wasn't exactly beating cusa quality teams ooc either. Alot of smaller schools to fill up the win column. He did have a few nice wins but nothing consistent. IMO if we hired a failed P5 coach it would have to be someone who still won but just didn't win enough. Someone who had success but according to the school it wasn't good enough. Barbee just doesn't fit that description.

Reactions: kickballpro
1. Golding
2. Barbee
3. Tang
4. Jans
5. Keller

I have a gut feeling that the guy ultimately selected may not even be on this list, but there it is. Maybe third time is the charm.
That is very, very likely. I stated that as well in a previous thread. I would not be surprised if Senter hires a Dimel type HC.

But local media is reporting a love affair with Golding and he may go to prom.

Curious why Jans is not higher on some of your lists. He is a proven winner. For me I like Golding, Jans, Barbee. What about Sean Miller? Senter better not introduce some washed up head coach.

Curious why Jans is not higher on some of your lists. He is a proven winner. For me I like Golding, Jans, Barbee. What about Sean Miller? Senter better not introduce some washed up head coach.

Probably because he’s at NMSU. Personally I’d have no problem with Jans because of what he’s accomplished. It would definitely be a controversial hire especially for NMSU fans, plus it would add a lot of gasoline to the rivalry. If The Aggies beat The Miners, especially in Cruces it could get ugly.

He is up there, its just that Golding is dibs on the front seat.

Remember, there were top assistants and good coaches who applied for UTEPFB. Dimel brought in his wagon, took 3 to 5 shots of Red Bull, Microsoft created bullet point and a signed letter from Snyder and the rest is history.

Did Senter learn from his past hirings?

Reactions: NY/NJminer
Such a lazy hire. It didn't work for unm and I don't think it will work for us. Hopefully he says no thanks.
I don't get the lazy statement. He is a winning coach which should put him on the list. As for comparing him to UNM's hiring Weir, remember that Weir had only one year as a head coach and even though it was a very good year, that's not enough to really judge him by imo.

I don't get the lazy statement. He is a winning coach which should put him on the list. As for comparing him to UNM's hiring Weir, remember that Weir had only one year as a head coach and even though it was a very good year, that's not enough to really judge him by imo.
Imo it's because the winning culture is already set at nmsu. It's easy for the incoming coach to build on what the previous staff did. The cycle continues. We don't know if they're able to build a program from scratch. Such is the case with Weir when he wasn't able to.

We've seen Golding build a program from the ground up. He didnt inherit an NCAA team. I think that's the type of coach we need.

Where is all this Barbee talk coming from? Is there any indication he’s interested?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT