ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

Tom Brown would be a great hire. He's clbuilt a d2 power at West Texas A&M. Canyon is not the easiest place to recruit to. He wouldn't be daunted by El Paso. There is alot of chatter that West Texas A&M will be the last school added to the New WAC. If that's the case he may want to stay in Canyon. To me this guy is the next Chris Beard. He's done amazing things at WTA&M.

Last edited:
Why does everyone want Gillespie? What has he done in the last 13 years that proves he can still get it done?
Well, he made the junior college national championship game, so we know he's still got it in terms of Xs and Os.

Does he still have the connections for recruiting NCAA division 1? (At least, given that he made the junior college national championship game, I'll bet he still has the connections for junior college transfers.)

I have full confidence in Gillispie's ability to coach up the players that come here. That alone would be an immediate improvement over Terry.

There may be, but I hear Jans is high on the list.

Train, anyone else on the list you can mention? Just curious who's being considered. We all know the Terry to Texas deal was done last week so this is not new. Senter has to have culled a list by now.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
There may be, but I hear Jans is high on the list.
I would love that hire just because it’s a great “f*ck you” to NMSU and you know that rivalry would get red hot really quick. Is he the right man for the job? I don’t know. But he would definitely set himself up as a sort of Judas in the eyes of Aggie fans if he were to jump ship.

Romano is an idiot, better names out there than Jans.
Lou Romano 04/06/2021 2:13 pm MST.....

gorilla-poop.gif

• Haha
Train, anyone else on the list you can mention? Just curious who's being considered. We all know the Terry to Texas deal was done last week so this is not new. Senter has to have culled a list by now.
I've heard a bunch of names with interest on their part. Jans is the first name that I had heard publically, so it seems mutual. I do think Golding and Barbee are in play; but I am not sure Golding is interested in UTEP, and in TBs case, I don't know if UTEP is truly interested in him. I think he would like to come back. For sure, Senter will prioritize those with HC experience. One name I had heard was Tim Miles, but he was already hired.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Kenton Paulino! Really!?

So why not Greg Foster w/Tim Hardaway and Kimani Jones Young as assistants? If nothing else, they could sell El Paso legitimately as guys who played at UTEP and are now coaching at UTEP. Sell the history. Sell the tradition. Sell their own willingness to return to (and love for?) the city of El Paso.

Just spit-ballin'...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So why not Greg Foster w/Tim Hardaway and Kimani Jones Young as assistants? If nothing else, they could sell El Paso legitimately as guys who played at UTEP and are now coaching at UTEP. Sell the history. Sell the tradition. Sell their own willingness to return to (and love for?) the city of El Paso.

Just spit-ballin'...
I like it dude. Senter has no connection to UTEP-EP other than his job. He was either going to use it as a springboard (not!) or collect a paycheck while the grass was green then split. Probably hasn’t much mattered to him the shape he leaves the program in. In other words, he won’t lose any sleep over lackluster results. CRT was never going to stay here for the long haul either. Even being a Texas guy, he has no connection to the University. He also was looking for greener pastures, I believe. Glad he found them. I like the idea of giving Foster a shot, with Hardaway as an assistant. They both are far younger than their chronological ages. They both have a pride for UTEP and both ****ing want to be here. If nothing else, they deserve a long look and vetting.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller

Just spit-ballin'...
Well, because they still have to know how to coach. KJY has the most college coaching experience. Foster was an assistant for a very brief minute and Timmy would be great, but I think better as an assistant not HC as he has no recruiting or College coaching experience.

Reactions: develman
I've got my money on Steve Prohm. He checks most of Senter's boxes: did well with a good situation that was handed to him, flamed out disastrously when he stepped up a notch, and isn't in high demand for any other job. Unfortunately, he hasn't been out of head coaching for a couple of decades, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Give me a coach who has a record of winning. Give me coach who can recruit and has assistants who can coach - or vice versa.

Give me an AD who won’t continue to make idiotic hires. Give me a president who cares about athletics. Give me a team that gets the Don rocking again.

One can hope.

Well, because they still have to know how to coach. KJY has the most college coaching experience. Foster was an assistant for a very brief minute and Timmy would be great, but I think better as an assistant not HC as he has no recruiting or College coaching experience.
On name recognition alone I would go with Tim Hardaway, but I agree I would be very wary about his ability to run a college program and recruit. A guy like that would need several experienced assistants who could handle those duties and let Tim handle sealing the deal with recruits and handle in game coaching.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Please no. There are other better options.
I don’t disagree yet...but I’m not completely sold on that either. I think there are “sexier” hires but Jans recruits well and is a good Xs and Os coach. At the same time, I guess I’m not sold on him being able to replicate what he’s done in LC either.

Golding would be a Coach Miner fans will get excited about. Our program needs a splash hire to bring some excitement back. The guy is a proven winner and one of the hottest names out there. He’s winning at ACU with lesser talent. He’s a Texas guy and is an Xs and Os coach. UTEP basketball should not be experimenting with unproven coaches. This is a no brainer. If Golding does not show interest we should maybe look at Barbee.

Golding would be a Coach Miner fans will get excited about. Our program needs a splash hire to bring some excitement back. The guy is a proven winner and one of the hottest names out there. He’s winning at ACU with lesser talent. He’s a Texas guy and is an Xs and Os coach. UTEP basketball should not be experimenting with unproven coaches. This is a no brainer. If Golding does not show interest we should maybe look at Barbee.
I don't know much about Golding, but he seems like a decent candidate. I would hire someone that can recruit at a high level and plays an up tempo style.
I say go straight for Barbee. He brings the immediate recruiting and is a known commodity with the aggressive style of play.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Golding, but he seems like a decent candidate. I would hire someone that can recruit at a high level and plays an up tempo style.

I say go straight for Barbee. He brings the immediate recruiting and is a know commodity with the aggressive style of play.
"Sources indicate Barbee is interested in coming back to El Paso, the question is will Jim Senter give him a call? We all know the exciting offensive style he will bring, but the big question is will Jim Senter reach out or leave Barbee alone. This would a safe hire with a positive result." https://epsportsnetwork.com/2021/04...d-utep-target-next-for-head-basketball-coach/

I think Senter needs reminded of 2010, last legendary pg was under Barbee, CUSA Defensive POY. Already knows UTEP and fan base knows him. Oh yeah, he is an assistant at Kentucky...... K.E.N.T.U.C.K.Y Senter!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT