ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU to play Kansas next season

ShovelMan66

All Star
Jun 29, 2017
The Aggies are gonna get $90,000 to play KU in Kansas City next season. They also have a home game with St Mary’s.

Who is on UTEPs schedule for next season? Nicholls St.

The Aggies are gonna get $90,000 to play KU in Kansas City next season. They also have a home game with St Mary’s.

Idk have u seen Uteps Schedule? Do you know what Terry has planned? No? Then maybe you should wait to talk crap til you know who's on the schedule. At least give Terry the decency of that before you start your useless berading.

I simply posted facts. If UTEP were scheduling a team like Kansas, don’t you think fans would want to know?

How come the Las Cruces paper can find out this info, but the EP Times can’t?

I simply posted facts. If UTEP were scheduling a team like Kansas, don’t you think fans would want to know?

Why don't you ask El Paso Times that? Don't you think that they would be better suited to answer that instead of some randoms on a message board? Simply posting a fact...

Obviously there's no schedule in place yet, duh they just hired a new coach he's busy recruiting if you haven't heard. Since you're an Aggie fan go on their board

Reactions: burnme1
UTEP plays Duke at Home on Dec11, UCLA on the road on Dec 17, and the Sun Bowl Tournament will feature Gonzaga and Villanova and Nicholls State.

Honestly in UTEP's current situation, I would schedule cupcakes. It doesn't make sense to schedule tough road games. We're not going to get an at large bid. Winning tough road games doesn't matter. Schedule cupcakes collect W's keep the record decent. In a one bid league marketing is already tough enough, collecting L's in non conference makes that job even tougher. The season starts the first week in March. We got to gel and build to be playing our best ball then.

Very True, new coach with 75% of a new team, why would you schedule a team like Kansas or something like that in your first year Shovel? Can you answer that?

UTEP played and nearly beat Kansas in a tournament in 2013. UTEP also beat St. Mary's in another tournament in 2008, but that was awhile ago. But it's not like UTEP never plays these teams. Sometimes we even get them at home. UTEP gave Arizona a run for their money (home game) and beat a very good Xavier (neutral site) under Floyd. I think there's lots of room for criticism of UTEP basketball, but overall I'm satisfied with our scheduling over the years. Our problem is that we've been terrible the last three seasons.

Honestly in UTEP's current situation, I would schedule cupcakes. It doesn't make sense to schedule tough road games. We're not going to get an at large bid. Winning tough road games doesn't matter. Schedule cupcakes collect W's keep the record decent. In a one bid league marketing is already tough enough, collecting L's in non conference makes that job even tougher. The season starts the first week in March. We got to gel and build to be playing our best ball then.

I’m not saying to go play the entire ACC on the road, but what good does multiple cupcakes do for team? How did that work out for St Mary’s this past season?

Very True, new coach with 75% of a new team, why would you schedule a team like Kansas or something like that in your first year Shovel? Can you answer that?

What’s better, losing to team like Kansas on an ESPN network or beating Incarnate Word on no network? Playing Kansas gives the team something to shoot for and tests them out. Playing UIW is worthless on all levels. Lower your RPI, doesn’t test the team, and nobody attends the game.

After a win over UIW do you tell yourself, “wow, we really have a squad this year!”?

UTEP played and nearly beat Kansas in a tournament in 2013. UTEP also beat St. Mary's in another tournament in 2008, but that was awhile ago. But it's not like UTEP never plays these teams. Sometimes we even get them at home. UTEP gave Arizona a run for their money (home game) and beat a very good Xavier (neutral site) under Floyd. I think there's lots of room for criticism of UTEP basketball, but overall I'm satisfied with our scheduling over the years. Our problem is that we've been terrible the last three seasons.

So? They played those teams in Multi Team Events, they did not schedule them. What MTE is UTEP playing in next season?? They haven’t announced it, so it’s either shitty or they’re not playing in one.

UTEP only plays those teams during those tournaments or the rare home and homes. UTEP needs to play more road games vs big schools, whether they get a return game or not. Playing Lamar and Louisiana College do nothing for the program.

What’s better, losing to team like Kansas on an ESPN network or beating Incarnate Word on no network? Playing Kansas gives the team something to shoot for and tests them out. Playing UIW is worthless on all levels. Lower your RPI, doesn’t test the team, and nobody attends the game.

After a win over UIW do you tell yourself, “wow, we really have a squad this year!”?
There should be some tests on the schedule, but in the first year under a obvious rebuilding year building an NCAA resume probably isn't the focus. Getting some confidence while s new team gels for conference is. At least next year. After that schedule Power 5. Oh and you're bringing up teams Floyd scheduled by the way. How do you know Terry will schedule the same???

There should be some tests on the schedule, but in the first year under a obvious rebuilding year building an NCAA resume probably isn't the focus. Getting some confidence while s new team gels for conference is. At least next year. After that schedule Power 5. Oh and you're bringing up teams Floyd scheduled by the way. How do you know Terry will schedule the same???

I did not say it was for NCAA selection did I? It’s for exposure and seeing what they can do. A test. The car you drive is put through many tests to ensure you’re driving a safe vehicle. Would you like it if all cars were tested by driving 30 mph to the grocery store on an 80 degree day?

You can replace UIW with almost any south land, meac, swac, whatever school. Just used for illustration. I know those teams are likely going to be on UTEPs schedule every year, I am fine with that. Just that there should be fewer of those and more against real competition.

You’re a comedian right? Would you measure yourself by roasting some high school kids or trading jabs with a real professional?

Hey putz, did you realize the times and sun news are owned by the same company?
No you didn't

I did not say it was for NCAA selection did I? It’s for exposure and seeing what they can do. A test. The car you drive is put through many tests to ensure you’re driving a safe vehicle. Would you like it if all cars were tested by driving 30 mph to the grocery store on an 80 degree day?

You can replace UIW with almost any south land, meac, swac, whatever school. Just used for illustration. I know those teams are likely going to be on UTEPs schedule every year, I am fine with that. Just that there should be fewer of those and more against real competition.

You’re a comedian right? Would you measure yourself by roasting some high school kids or trading jabs with a real professional?
Cool, lets at least see the schedule.

May I inject a bit of reason here?

If the goal in D-1 buckets is to get into the NCAA tournament and compete on the biggest stage for the biggest prize, UTEP's non-conference schedule is of little consequence.

Look at Middle Tennessee, which beat Vandy and Ole Miss, lost to Miami by 3 on a neutral floor. Mid-Tenn went 16-2 in Conference USA, 25-8 overall ... but the Blue Raiders as the top seed, lost in the league tourney to 9th-seeded Southern Miss.

Result? No invitation to the big shindig. Instead, Mid-Tenn was sent packing to the NIT, where it lost in the second round, by an eyelash, at Louisville. Did the CUSA tournament runner-up deserve to get in? Probably. Then again, maybe not.

TV announcers keep telling us CUSA is on the rise, but alas. They are paid to say so. What do you think?

The rude reminder is this: The NCAA selection committee views CUSA as what Don Haskins used to call a "sack of cats." A one-bid league.

For the Miners, or any other CUSA team, there is one way into the NCAAs, and one way only. Gotta win the conference tournament, or start looking at your fallback options.

So, as I put another log on this campfire, we should face facts. The non-conference schedule might be good for bar stool discussion, and we can bask in reflected glory when our favorite team wins. But it matters not.

Unless and until there is a dramatic sea change, the crux of UTEP basketball will be reduced to four days in early March. The season begins, and could end, with the opening round of the CUSA tournament. Thank our friends on the selection committee for that.

May I inject a bit of reason here?

If the goal in D-1 buckets is to get into the NCAA tournament and compete on the biggest stage for the biggest prize, UTEP's non-conference schedule is of little consequence.

Look at Middle Tennessee, which beat Vandy and Ole Miss, lost to Miami by 3 on a neutral floor. Mid-Tenn went 16-2 in Conference USA, 25-8 overall ... but the Blue Raiders as the top seed, lost in the league tourney to 9th-seeded Southern Miss.

Result? No invitation to the big shindig. Instead, Mid-Tenn was sent packing to the NIT, where it lost in the second round, by an eyelash, at Louisville. Did the CUSA tournament runner-up deserve to get in? Probably. Then again, maybe not.

TV announcers keep telling us CUSA is on the rise, but alas. They are paid to say so. What do you think?

The rude reminder is this: The NCAA selection committee views CUSA as what Don Haskins used to call a "sack of cats." A one-bid league.

For the Miners, or any other CUSA team, there is one way into the NCAAs, and one way only. Gotta win the conference tournament, or start looking at your fallback options.

So, as I put another log on this campfire, we should face facts. The non-conference schedule might be good for bar stool discussion, and we can bask in reflected glory when our favorite team wins. But it matters not.

Unless and until there is a dramatic sea change, the crux of UTEP basketball will be reduced to four days in early March. The season begins, and could end, with the opening round of the CUSA tournament. Thank our friends on the selection committee for that.

So Middle beat Ole Miss and Vandy, were they any good? They lost to Miami. If losing to a team is a reason to include someone then they don’t deserve to be in.

They weren’t the CUSA tournament runner up. WKU was, and they didn’t deserve to get it either.

Might want to bone up on your facts buddy.

Reactions: El Paso 1
So Middle beat Ole Miss and Vandy, were they any good? They lost to Miami. If losing to a team is a reason to include someone then they don’t deserve to be in.

They weren’t the CUSA tournament runner up. WKU was, and they didn’t deserve to get it either.

Well UTEP is better than Villanova.

UTEP beat UNM
UNM beat San Diego St
San Diego State beat Gonzaga
Gonzaga beat Creighton
Creighton beat Villanova

So therefore UTEP is better than Villanova

The fact that you spend so much time finding ways to s*** on this program on a message board would seem to preclude you from
A) getting laid
B) having friends
C) getting laid
D) going to parties
E) getting laid
...etc, etc, etc...

People with such pitiable existences should probably spend less time on message boards, and more time doing constructive things like.... oh, I don't know.... playing internet checkers?

Either way, someone with such paltry ground to stand on should hardly be judging the accomplishments of other people or institutions....

Ya feel me?

The fact that you spend so much time finding ways to s*** on this program on a message board would seem to preclude you from
A) getting laid
B) having friends
C) getting laid
D) going to parties
E) getting laid
...etc, etc, etc...

People with such pitiable existences should probably spend less time on message boards, and more time doing constructive things like.... oh, I don't know.... playing internet checkers?

Either way, someone with such paltry ground to stand on should hardly be judging the accomplishments of other people or institutions....

Ya feel me?

How do you know I don’t do those things? I do not spend all day and night on here. HeWore69 is setting all kinds of records, why don’t you ask him to do the same?

I get laid plenty. Every night, my boyfriend and I are doing it to San Diego Padre games. You know, except when it’s taco night.

When my boyfriend and I aren’t “cuddling” we are definitely going around town, talking about people behind their back at Starbucks. It’s really fun. We also like to shop near our home at the Outlets. Our poodle, Obama, needs a new outfit. Holla at us if you see us out tonight. I’ll be wearing a scarf and super tight jeans.

Every editor needs an editor. You can be mine. Doesn't pay much, but I make sure the beer is cold. Good by you, Shovel Man?

Reactions: MistaBinks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT