ADVERTISEMENT

No Game Thread?

UTEP dominated start to finish. Favored by 10 and won by 27. Held the Aggies to under 200 total yards. Game never in doubt. I'll take it but reading the thread it sounded like UTEP had their asses handed to them. Oh well.

A lot to clean up. Way too many penalties and turnovers. Defense was stout. We did what we were supposed to, nothing more nothing less. I'm happy with the victory and hope we can execute and rest players again next week in preparation for the real teams we'll play. Aggies this year may be worst or close to worst D1 team.

Reactions: Rot
Happy about the win. Did UTEP make a major improvement or was NMSU really that bad? Maybe both? We'll see. Good win Miners

We felt charitable and we were giving away automatic first downs.
12 for 140 yards. That. Was. Horrid.

You damn well know our conference foes are liking those stats because UTEP may have more weapons, Dimel is still coaching like the old Raiders: Penalties that kill drives which gives the ball right back instead of getting at least 3 to 7, eating up clock (keeping their offense off the field) and poops out the D.

What was with the whacks to the qb's head by Praise? He knows better.

12 for 140 yards. That. Was. Horrid.

You damn well know our conference foes are liking those stats because UTEP may have more weapons, Dimel is still coaching like the old Raiders: Penalties that kill drives which gives the ball right back instead of getting at least 3 to 7, eating up clock (keeping their offense off the field) and poops out the D.

What was with the whacks to the qb's head by Praise? He knows better.
1st game of the season. It was to be expected to make mistakes. The penalties definitely have to go way down. With that said I give them a C+ The miners made Big mistakes that usually cost them the game, but we were that much better to still win by 27. NMSU sucks, but to make the mistakes they did and blow them out still earns a mediocre passing grade.

A lot to clean up. Way too many penalties and turnovers. Defense was stout. We did what we were supposed to, nothing more nothing less. I'm happy with the victory and hope we can execute and rest players again next week in preparation for the real teams we'll play. Aggies this year may be worst or close to worst D1 team.
Aside from the secondary, I agree, our defense was pretty stout.

Still, 4 years later, we’re still a very undisciplined team. I don’t understand how Dimel hasn’t made it a priority to clean that up.

People hate Dimel so much that they refuse to be happy with a dominant win over our rival.
Well, Dimel and his staff looked like old dominant college coaches ready to retire to their Wyoming ranches in a couple years.

Martin and staff coaches looked like dominant biker gang riders ready to make their drop at a remote New Mexico farm road bar. The tans and shaved heads were a tad funny. Very "Better call Saul" looking characters.

UTEP dominated start to finish. Favored by 10 and won by 27. Held the Aggies to under 200 total yards. Game never in doubt. I'll take it but reading the thread it sounded like UTEP had their asses handed to them. Oh well.
You make good points. I’ll take the W, too. It’s difficult not to beyotch about the lack of discipline though, which just seems to be an issue from year to year with Dimel’s teams.

I think people realize this was a baddd NMSU team and that if things don’t get cleaned up, we may have trouble reaching 3-4 wins.

Offensively I thought UTEP looked good. They have running backs and it seems like they were willing to throw the ball downfield. I did like that they overcame a hold on one of the first drives to come away with a TD. Defensively they needed to do way more because NMSU may be the only team in college football that is more undisciplined than UTEP. Had they played a cleaner game it could have been a tighter game.

It was a good win. The result is like last year's vs ULM. There's a strong possibility NMSU goes winless this year and finishes as the worst FBS team.

Next week should be another easy win. If it isn't, it will create doubts about the type of season we're in for.

We'll have to keep an eye out on the MW to see how the Broncos and Lobos look.

In the meantime, I'm glad we broke the Aggie losing streak.

I thought defense looked pretty good. Held them in the red zone several times causing them to turn over on downs
Yep, I was referring to the defense in the first half mostly. NMSU had no trouble moving the ball, and hurt themselves with several dropped passes and penalties. Against better teams, we can't expect the same results. I'm happy about the win, especially against the Aggies on the road. There is no reason for them to have beaten us three in a row. Also hoping we didn't lose guys to injuries.

This is only the third fbs school we've beat in the Dimel era. We beat a bad team handily and I happy about that. More than happy though I'm relieved. Coming into the season we all knew these first two games were must wins. If they would have lost it would have been the end of the Dimel era and long four months watching a ship sink slowly. I'm very happy we won.

As for the game. The offense looked pretty good. I'm still more than a little concerned with Hardison's accuracy at times. In the future teams will bracket Cowing and try to take away the easy throws. What Hardison has yet to show is the accuracy to throw a receiver open or thrown into a tight window on a slant or an out. Overall I liked what the offense did Cowing was spectacular and Awatt continued to quietly be the most productive back out of the backfield.

On defense. I was very pleased with the D-line. They played well. The linebackers were a question mark coming into the season and played really well yesterday. The question with the defense is going to be the secondary. At times they were shaky and committed bad PI penalties. A good team would have certainly taken advantage of that secondary last night.

The kicking game was excellent. If that keeps up it will win us a close game somewhere down the line.

The most frustrating part of the night like many have mentioned was the undisciplined play. Year four and we are still committing stupid penalties. It's not been cleaned up by now I don't think it ever will. It feels like the Price era in that regard. It's frustrating to watch a team make the same mistakes year after year when they're 100% correctable.

Overall good night. The guys did what they needed to do and dominated a bad team. NMSU looks really bad. Maybe they will improve as the season goes along but that doesn't look like a team capable of winning games.

We're halfway through the must win games. Next week I want to see the same effort. I want to see us dominate n inferior squad. I want to see if the guys can handle winning. They don't have alot of experience. Let's get through next week get to Boise and then we'll see what kind of team we have.

This is only the third fbs school we've beat in the Dimel era. We beat a bad team handily and I happy about that. More than happy though I'm relieved. Coming into the season we all knew these first two games were must wins. If they would have lost it would have been the end of the Dimel era and long four months watching a ship sink slowly. I'm very happy we won.

As for the game. The offense looked pretty good. I'm still more than a little concerned with Hardison's accuracy at times. In the future teams will bracket Cowing and try to take away the easy throws. What Hardison has yet to show is the accuracy to throw a receiver open or thrown into a tight window on a slant or an out. Overall I liked what the offense did Cowing was spectacular and Awatt continued to quietly be the most productive back out of the backfield.

On defense. I was very pleased with the D-line. They played well. The linebackers were a question mark coming into the season and played really well yesterday. The question with the defense is going to be the secondary. At times they were shaky and committed bad PI penalties. A good team would have certainly taken advantage of that secondary last night.

The kicking game was excellent. If that keeps up it will win us a close game somewhere down the line.

The most frustrating part of the night like many have mentioned was the undisciplined play. Year four and we are still committing stupid penalties. It's not been cleaned up by now I don't think it ever will. It feels like the Price era in that regard. It's frustrating to watch a team make the same mistakes year after year when they're 100% correctable.

Overall good night. The guys did what they needed to do and dominated a bad team. NMSU looks really bad. Maybe they will improve as the season goes along but that doesn't look like a team capable of winning games.

We're halfway through the must win games. Next week I want to see the same effort. I want to see us dominate n inferior squad. I want to see if the guys can handle winning. They don't have alot of experience. Let's get through next week get to Boise and then we'll see what kind of team we have.
Hardison’s best ball is the deep ball.

Great write up. That Cowing one handed grab was truly spectacular.

Did you think the hit on Hankins where he left the game right after was targeting? I did.

Did you see a shit ton of uncalled holding on our DL? I did.

Doesn’t excuse our dumb penalties though.

Hardison has to get sharper on his short and intermediate passes. Hope Hankins is ok.

Reactions: axingfools1
I listened to the game and have some thoughts as follows:
1) Told my wife that I have never been this ho-hum after a Miner win.
2) In the post game interview Dimel as always was ho-hum and that attitude generally rubs off into the player's attitude.
3) Dimel seemed to express that they didn’t need to show or want to show anything of their offensive capabilities after they established a lead. Didn't want future opponents to see their complete arsenal.
4) His attitude was ho-hum about all the penalties as well. "No biggy" maybe it'll work out eventually.
5) Don't recall any discussion about clock management, but knowing Dimel; he's just a nice guy and probably had no desire to run up the score. He is probably sympatico to being on the short end of too many lopsided defeats.
6) Somebody needs to pound into his stubborn head that there needs to be an alternative to bringing in Brownhloltz for consecutive 3 and outs. That's a momentum killer and must be scrapped. There is absolutely no positive to that strategy; only negative.
7) As has been stated; The Aggies are horrible so this win can't be too celebratory and neither can next week's game. IMO there seems to be more talent available than in recent years, but the coaching needs to learn how to utilize it.

I don’t think it’s stupid to get the backups some snaps when you can. The game was out of reach.
Unfortunately, I agree with Nowins. Dimel has brought in backups to run a draw since he's been here. I really can't stand when he does that. I'm ok with playing a backup in trash time but not during drives that stop momentum

2) In the post game interview Dimel as always was ho-hum and that attitude generally rubs off into the player's attitude.
3) Dimel seemed to express that they didn’t need to show or want to show anything of their offensive capabilities after they established a lead. Didn't want future opponents to see their complete arsenal.
4) His attitude was ho-hum about all the penalties as well. "No biggy" maybe it'll work out eventually.
5) Don't recall any discussion about clock management, but knowing Dimel; he's just a nice guy and probably had no desire to run up the score. He is probably sympatico to being on the short end of too many lopsided defeats.
6) Somebody needs to pound into his stubborn head that there needs to be an alternative to bringing in Brownhloltz for consecutive 3 and outs. That's a momentum killer and must be scrapped. There is absolutely no positive to that strategy; only negative.
7) As has been stated; The Aggies are horrible so this win can't be too celebratory and neither can next week's game. IMO there seems to be more talent available than in recent years, but the coaching needs to learn how to utilize it.
The penalties were talked about. Basically what was said is that they were aggressive plays and those he can accept and they talk about moving on from mistakes to the next play. For the most part they did that unlike other times in the past. Still have to clean it up, but I had no issues with his post game comments.

I can understand a lack of enthusiasm following this win. But, the Miners broke NMSU’s recent grip on the series with a 27 point win and that is a big step forward for this program. How much of your lack of enthusiasm is due to UTEP’s record over the last 5-6 years?

1. UTEP did what they needed to do. If this had been a close game, I would had been really concerned about this team.

2. UTEP needs to clean up the stupid penalties. Granted some were very questionable calls by the officials. But if the Miners don’t get it straightened out, it’ll cost them some games.

3.. Hopefully Hankins’ injury isn’t too serious. UTEP should beat Bethune Cookman with ease next week. Maybe Hankins should be held out until the Boise State game.

4. Decent crowd last night. UTEP fan base was more than I had expected. This may be blasphemous to say, but Aggie Memorial Stadium is one of my favorites to visit.

5. Speaking of which, the construction around I-25 near the stadium was a pain in the ass. I hadn’t been to Las Cruces in almost two years. I swear they’ve been working on this area since back then.

6. UTEP administration needs to get its shit together! There was only one person manning one table for will call ticket pickup, working off of a printed list of names. Luckily we didn’t miss too much of the first quarter.

Overall a good night and a good win, albeit against a bad opponent. Hopefully UTEP won’t have a letdown next week against a FCS opponent.

1. UTEP did what they needed to do. If this had been a close game, I would had been really concerned about this team.

2. UTEP needs to clean up the stupid penalties. Granted some were very questionable calls by the officials. But if the Miners don’t get it straightened out, it’ll cost them some games.

3.. Hopefully Hankins’ injury isn’t too serious. UTEP should beat Bethune Cookman with ease next week. Maybe Hankins should be held out until the Boise State game.

4. Decent crowd last night. UTEP fan base was more than I had expected. This may be blasphemous to say, but Aggie Memorial Stadium is one of my favorites to visit.

5. Speaking of which, the construction around I-25 near the stadium was a pain in the ass. I hadn’t been to Las Cruces in almost two years. I swear they’ve been working on this area since back then.

6. UTEP administration needs to get its shit together! There was only one person manning one table for will call ticket pickup, working off of a printed list of names. Luckily we didn’t miss too much of the first quarter.

Overall a good night and a good win, albeit against a bad opponent. Hopefully UTEP won’t have a letdown next week against a FCS opponent.
Dimel better not be licking his own nuts over this win. He better be pissed about cleaning up penalties and executing better.

I can understand a lack of enthusiasm following this win. But, the Miners broke NMSU’s recent grip on the series with a 27 point win and that is a big step forward for this program. How much of your lack of enthusiasm is due to UTEP’s record over the last 5-6 years?

But the players play with great energy

Beggars can't be choosers but I wish our offense was a bit more dynamic. Good overall performance against a rebuilding team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT