ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the season is over

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Tough way to and it, they were never in this game. Middle Tennessee might be a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 type of team. I wish Utep could get to that level. Kermit Davis is definitely gone aftwr this year. Utep turned things around I'm excited about that and willing to give Floyd one more year based on that. We need a PG transfer so Touchet can keep coming off the bench. Thomas, Harris, and Wink give us something to start with and hopefully the new comers will be impact players. Next year has to be Do or Die for Floyd for sure. Anyway crazy season proud of how they didn't give up. Now let's root for LA Tech so we can get two in NCAA, cause M.Tennessee is a lock now!

I wish Middle Tennesee all the best and I hope they go deep in the Big Dance. It would be nice for LA Tech to get in as well because it will just make our conference stronger with two teams in.

I really hope Floyd excepts an invite to the CIT.

Tough way to and it, they were never in this game. Middle Tennessee might be a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 type of team. I wish Utep could get to that level. Kermit Davis is definitely gone aftwr this year. Utep turned things around I'm excited about that and willing to give Floyd one more year based on that. We need a PG transfer so Touchet can keep coming off the bench. Thomas, Harris, and Wink give us something to start with and hopefully the new comers will be impact players. Next year has to be Do or Die for Floyd for sure. Anyway crazy season proud of how they didn't give up. Now let's root for LA Tech so we can get two in NCAA, cause M.Tennessee is a lock now!

I agree man. MT is really solid.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are in, win or lose tomorrow. They're my underdog team that I'll be pulling for in the Dance.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are in, win or lose tomorrow.

I agree. So many people on here said that Middle Tennesee wouldn't be an at large team. I knew if they didn't lose again the regular season and got to the finals they are in. I am almost hoping for LA Tech to win just so two teams can get in.

Who are you all most excited to see next year??

I don't know why have only seen a little tape on him but I am excited to see

Tryus smith
And Roderick Williams

Who are you all most excited to see next year??

I don't know why have only seen a little tape on him but I am excited to see

Tryus smith
And Roderick Williams

Same.

What concerns me is that we may have just lost the most important piece of the puzzle. DA has been great the last 2 months. Not confident a freshman can come in and replace him. Fear is, we'll have some good front court players, and nobody who can get them the ball.

Reactions: unihorn
I think between barrett Harris and touchet we will be fine at the guard position if the new ones don't pan out... however if they do that's when I think we could be dangerous

I think between barrett Harris and touchet we will be fine at the guard position if the new ones don't pan out... however if they do that's when I think we could be dangerous

I'm just being realistic...not fatalistic. Neither of the guys you mentioned are near the pg Artis is. I wouldn't have said that just one year ago. Now, I whole heartedly believe that. Our pg production will drop tremendously if either of those guys is our pg...and yet they may end up being our best options.

Don't sleep on Kobe McGee. I think this kid will be like Omega. Gilyard may be the next Artis......

Don't sleep on Kobe McGee. I think this kid will be like Omega. Gilyard may be the next Artis......

Just very tough for freshmen to come in and make an impact. Especially at pg (QB).

McGee I've actually gotten to watch several times this year. Good player. Opposition no where near even UNT caliber players for the most part.

I hear Gilyard is college ready. I hope so. We shall see.

I'm just being realistic...not fatalistic. Neither of the guys you mentioned are near the pg Artis is. I wouldn't have said that just one year ago. Now, I whole heartedly believe that. Our pg production will drop tremendously if either of those guys is our pg...and yet they may end up being our best options.

Not to take anything away from Harris or Touchet, but neither one of those guys is a point guard. Harris stated that by his own admission. To me, if either one of those guys are forced to lead the team, we are in trouble. I think you can look at the UAB team this year to see what a talented team that loses its PG looks like; they lost their PG Norton to injuries at the beginning of the year.

Coach Johnson mentioned at the end of the game that CTF is comfortable going with the two freshman recruits at the point, similar to MTSU and LaTech this year. That's a ton of pressure on these two inexperienced guys coming in next year. I have seen Magee several times this year in person, and I do in-vision him as more of the traditional PG. Gilyard, on the other hand, appears to be more aggressive on the offensive end. Both will be hard pressed to match the overall leadership Artis brought to the team this year; not too mention the fact that he was an absolute stat stuffer for the team. We shall see how this goes.

On a side note, Coach Johnson mentioned both Trey Wade and Tirus Smith on the post game show. Although we know any thing can happen between now and the start of practice next year, it sounds like those two are still in play. There have been some persistent questions on this two new guys, in particular.

Not to take anything away from Harris or Touchet, but neither one of those guys is a point guard. Harris stated that by his own admission. To me, if either one of those guys are forced to lead the team, we are in trouble. I think you can look at the UAB team this year to see what a talented team that loses its PG looks like; they lost their PG Norton to injuries at the beginning of the year.

Coach Johnson mentioned at the end of the game that CTF is comfortable going with the two freshman recruits at the point, similar to MTSU and LaTech this year. That's a ton of pressure on these two inexperienced guys coming in next year. I have seen Magee several times this year in person, and I do in-vision him as more of the traditional PG. Gilyard, on the other hand, appears to be more aggressive on the offensive end. Both will be hard pressed to match the overall leadership Artis brought to the team this year; not too mention the fact that he was an absolute stat stuffer for the team. We shall see how this goes.

On a side note, Coach Johnson mentioned both Trey Wade and Tirus Smith on the post game show. Although we know any thing can happen between now and the start of practice next year, it sounds like those two are still in play. There have been some persistent questions on this two new guys, in particular.

I agree. That's my point. Who was the last freshman we had that really had an impact on the game? VH? I know it's possible. Just with recent history, I don't think it's likely, especially running the team/offense. Which makes me think Floyd would not hesitate to go with Harris and or Touchet at point, even though neither is a true pg, but because of experience/poise.

I hope I'm wrong and one of the freshmen can step in and facilitate. Just hard to pin hopes on that working out. Most likely won't have a choice, though.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Watching Roderick Williams' JUCO game the other night was encouraging, he is going to have the biggest impact of anyone CTF ends up putting on the roster come October because he can affect the game and score without the ball in his hands. He has the bad habit like UTEP's current big's of being too active and picking up dumb fouls, but he's going to give UTEP a legit inside scorer who will also live the FT line. He looked like a poor-mans Vince Hunter just a few inches shorter with better handles and back to the basket game.

Would it be crazy to think Harris could average 20 points per game next year as the main ball handler until Magee or Gilyard find a niche?

Tyrus Smith will help Paul Thomas at PF, and Roderick Williams will give UTEP their first true legit small forward since Jason Williams, but Tim Floyd off-seasons are long, and nothing is set until October first.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I agree. That's my point. Who was the last freshman we had that really had an impact on the game? VH? I know it's possible. Just with recent history, I don't think it's likely, especially running the team/offense. Which makes me think Floyd would not hesitate to go with Harris and or Touchet at point, even though neither is a true pg, but because of experience/poise.

I hope I'm wrong and one of the freshmen can step in and facilitate. Just hard to pin hopes on that working out. Most likely won't have a choice, though.
Absolutely agree FanatiCoog. I guess I can't stand the thought of seeing Touchet pick up his dribble right at the moment the double team comes to him; and then calling a time out. Or maybe we can see Omega dribble behind his back into a turnover more often with the ball in his hands more. :)

I loved the comment "McGee I've actually gotten to watch several times this year. Good player. Opposition no where near even UNT caliber players for the most part." That's funny.

You know Benford starting out the season with what looked to be a pretty good team....now he is on the street again. Tough sport to figure out.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Watching Roderick Williams' JUCO game the other night was encouraging, he is going to have the biggest impact of anyone CTF ends up putting on the roster come October because he can affect the game and score without the ball in his hands. He has the bad habit like UTEP's current big's of being too active and picking up dumb fouls, but he's going to give UTEP a legit inside scorer who will also live the FT line. He looked like a poor-mans Vince Hunter just a few inches shorter with better handles and back to the basket game.

Would it be crazy to think Harris could average 20 points per game next year as the main ball handler until Magee or Gilyard find a niche?

Tyrus Smith will help Paul Thomas at PF, and Roderick Williams will give UTEP their first true legit small forward since Jason Williams, but Tim Floyd off-seasons are long, and nothing is set until October first.

On Roderick Williams, I see him more of a poor man's JaCorey Williams from MTSU. Not saying he is anywhere near as good at this time. Just the fact that he is left handed and is around the ball alot. It is good that he is coming in as a Sophomore. He needs to gain a ton of strength. More importantly he will need to expand his game out to beyond ten feet. That won't work at the D1 level.

On Roderick Williams, I see him more of a poor man's JaCorey Williams from MTSU. Not saying he is anywhere near as good at this time. Just the fact that he is left handed and is around the ball alot. It is good that he is coming in as a Sophomore. He needs to gain a ton of strength. More importantly he will need to expand his game out to beyond ten feet. That won't work at the D1 level.
That's a way better comparison than VH...

I seen a video of him hitting 10-12 foot jumpers before think it was in HS, and was thinking maybe the 10-foot-plus game for him wasn't apart of the offense at his JUCO, plus the other team was going zone all game, but agree if he expands his game he could (loosely) be special..

Remember we also have the guy from Canada that's been practicing all tear with the miners at shooting guard so Omega could be moved to primary ball handler at times

Last edited:
Remember we also have the jod from.Canada that's been practicing all tear with the miners at shooting guard so Omega could be moved to primary ball handler at times

Please no. He is an adequate ball handler for a 2. His assist to turnover ratio with the ball in his hands every trip down the court would be horrid.

Reactions: Lil_Train
With 7 of top 8 players returning plus the recruits we know about, this could be a very good team next season. PG being the primary concern but the Miners should be quite good. But the problem is still who will leave early and who will not come. Floyd showed how good a coach he is but retaining players is still not his strong suit.

With 7 of top 8 players returning plus the recruits we know about, this could be a very good team next season. PG being the primary concern but the Miners should be quite good. But the problem is still who will leave early and who will not come. Floyd showed how good a coach he is but retaining players is still not his strong suit.

Great post but it seems like every year has the potential to be a good season. If UTEP won the games they should have easily won they would have had a geat season.

What did he have to say about Wade and smith?

On Wade: Gives them a guy who can guard multiple positions; similar to Washburn. Johnson seems to really like this kid.

On Smith: Gives them a guy that they did not have on the team this year. 6'-8" - 6'-9", about 240 lbs; who can extend out to the 3 point line.

On Osborne: He may be the fastest player on the team; including Omega. Similar talent as McSwiggen.

On Williams: He actually mentioned that he works best from within 10 feet; which I tend to agree with. High motor guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Who Knows, I can't predict, I'm just somewhat optimistic based on the improvement of Willms, Harris and Thomas. It gives us a core to work with at least. Still a lot of unknowns though. I hope Floyd keeps the recruits that matters and this team can play like they did the 2nd half of the season all season next year!

The biggest key to next year's team is: 1.) Will Matt Wilms be granted a 6th year?, Johnson talked about how they hope that he will be back next year, but that it is not official yet because they have to petition for it. And 2.) Can Matt Willms stay healthy for the next 12 months? Our team improved this year when Matt began practicing full-time. A healthy Matt Willms returning or not returning next year will be the biggest key to how succesful we will be next season.

Last edited:

Harris is not a PG

You know who might take over the pg spot next year and his name hasn't been mentioned or at
Least I missed it..... I think Barrett would be a good option.... He is a very good ball handler and I think he is someone who will at least be a candidate to start next year ......

Also can Cameron and Barnes get a redshirt year this year?i don't think Barnes can but what about Cameron?

You know who might take over the pg spot next year and his name hasn't been mentioned or at
Least I missed it..... I think Barrett would be a good option.... He is a very good ball handler and I think he is someone who will at least be a candidate to start next year ......

Also can Cameron and Barnes get a redshirt year this year?i don't think Barnes can but what about Cameron?

Barrett is so small I'd worry about him getting trapped by longer, stronger players.

Barrett is so small I'd worry about him getting trapped by longer, stronger players.

Agree. That and he never drove to the bucket this year. Has a nice shot from 3, but as our facilitator he'd have to journey amongst the trees. Never saw it this year.

Which is why I am not a big fan of under 6'2 guards and have my concerns with McGee and gilyard but we shall see.... barrett may have deferred a lot this year to Harris and Artis and maybe with him running the show it would be a lot different .... but like someone else pointed out his size bothers me but we shall see

Agree. That and he never drove to the bucket this year. Has a nice shot from 3, but as our facilitator he'd have to journey amongst the trees. Never saw it this year.
My gut feeling is that the staff believes Gilyard will be the starter next year. He is small as well, but looks strong driving to the basket either finishing or getting fouled. I would prefer that Barrett would stay on, but we are over signed/committed. Not sure I see it, but that will be one to keep an eye on.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I follow both Gilyard and Magee on Twitter. Based on the posts in Twitter, Gilyard looks to be the real deal despite his size. He led his team to a city championship and beat a talented Morgan Park team. There are several players UTEP is looking at on that Morgan Park team. Magee did some great things as well, but to me Gilyard will be running the point next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT