ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP 😜

France tied Bosnia the other day, at home. Is France not elite based on 1 result?

I just said it's not something to be proud of. Is France proud of drawing Bosnia?

You're right, a single game isn't a big sample size. But we missed the last World Cup after winning the Gold Cup, IIRC. CONCACAF isn't the strongest region; we need to win most of these games.

Reactions: axingfools1
I just said it's not something to be proud of. Is France proud of drawing Bosnia?

You're right, a single game isn't a big sample size. But we missed the last World Cup after winning the Gold Cup, IIRC. CONCACAF isn't the strongest region; we need to win most of these games.
Proud and acceptable are two different things. I don’t think most US fans are “proud” about the result, but it’s 100% acceptable.

If USMNT is really going to compete for a 5th or 6th game at the WC they need to win these games. El Salvador is ranked mid 60's. A draw is good but not for the aspirations the USMNT fanbase has.

If USMNT is really going to compete for a 5th or 6th game at the WC they need to win these games. El Salvador is ranked mid 60's. A draw is good but not for the aspirations the USMNT fanbase has.
The USA’s last three games in qualifying are Mexico (A), Panama (H) and Costa Rica (A). It’s way too early to sound the alarm but if they can’t go to El Salvador to get a W do you think they can go to Mexico and Costa Rica and win if their qualification depends on it?

For a team/nation that failed to qualify for the previous WC, the US looked especially lackluster. Same with coaching. Gotta question some of the personnel decisions Berhalter went with, and worse, stayed with throughout the match.

There’s obviously worse things than walking out of El Sal with a single point, however, why we didn’t go in there and set the tone/intensity for how this team is going to navigate through qualifying is beyond me. That game was so uninspiring. It’s like Berhalter was playing for the tie all along.

I think it was randaddy that said midfield sucked. Whoever said it, I agree. Almost zero creativity. Connectivity and possession were bad even by US standards.

I hope they come out a different team tomorrow against Canada.

For a team/nation that failed to qualify for the previous WC, the US looked especially lackluster. Same with coaching. Gotta question some of the personnel decisions Berhalter went with, and worse, stayed with throughout the match.

There’s obviously worse things than walking out of El Sal with a single point, however, why we didn’t go in there and set the tone/intensity for how this team is going to navigate through qualifying is beyond me. That game was so uninspiring. It’s like Berhalter was playing for the tie all along.

I think it was randaddy that said midfield sucked. Whoever said it, I agree. Almost zero creativity. Connectivity and possession were bad even by US standards.

I hope they come out a different team tomorrow against Canada.
You guys obviously know way more about futbol than I do. I dont get the resting players (Brooks) or random lineups that we always see. If guys are not ready to go or need rest then leave them home!

Ball control and aggression have ALWAYS been a problem with the USMNT. Why that doesn't improve I don't know, but the whole mentality needs to change if we are going to takes steps on the world stage. If we CAN'T control the ball better then we need strikers that can go for the throat, not dilly dally outside the box. Both would be great, but give us at least one.

Why didn't Pepi play in the 2nd half? I mean the guy is scoring goals and coming off a high at the MLS all star game. He didnt chose the USMNT for qualifiers just to ride the pine. Put him in the game.

You guys obviously know way more about futbol than I do. I dont get the resting players (Brooks) or random lineups that we always see. If guys are not ready to go or need rest then leave them home!

Ball control and aggression have ALWAYS been a problem with the USMNT. Why that doesn't improve I don't know, but the whole mentality needs to change if we are going to takes steps on the world stage. If we CAN'T control the ball better then we need strikers that can go for the throat, not dilly dally outside the box. Both would be great, but give us at least one.

Why didn't Pepi play in the 2nd half? I mean the guy is scoring goals and coming off a high at the MLS all star game. He didnt chose the USMNT for qualifiers just to ride the pine. Put him in the game.
I have seen enough of Sargent to know, he’s not the answer. Should have started Pefok and subbed in Pepi. Pepi has to get in at least one do these games.

I would imagine that the coach didn’t want to throw Pepi to the wolves in his first game. I don’t know what difference he would have made especially coming on in a physical game on an awful field in El Salvador where the United States was having difficulty in the final 1/3.

Is El Salvador really that much better than some of the teams in MLS?

Stats say it’s difficult to win on the road in CONCACAF WC qualifiers. 55% of the time, the home team wins and only 18% of the time does the traveling team win.

It’s not even so much the draw that I was disappointed with, it was more how the US made no attempt at making a statement the other night. What a ho hum showing.

Is El Salvador really that much better than some of the teams in MLS?
No not at all. But it was an awful field, and a game with a lot of fouls and the US wasn’t able to do much in attack. Yeah this kid made an all star team but does he have enough experience at 18 to deal with that type of situation? Jordan Siebatcheu was the replacement for Sergeant. He’s 25 and he was playing professionally in France since 2015 and he had played with the France U-21 team before committing to the US. Right now I see all those strikers as six of one/half dozen of the other and if there’s not too much separating them you can see where experience may be the determining factor.

Reactions: JCorona
Apparently Reyna is injured and out for the next 2 games and McKennie violated a rule and isn’t in the squad tonight

I had heard yesterday that Reyna didn’t train with the team. Wondered what it was about. McKennie is a helluva player when he’s on, but he didn’t do much a couple nights ago.

Definitely like the Brooks for Ream change. Hoping Aaronson shows why Berhalter is high on him. Pefok for Sargent, meh…haven’t been impressed with either.

I’d rather see Roldan in than Lletget. Just think he’s more creative and has more ability to take on a defender and create opportunities with precision crosses. Glad Pulisic is back.

Berhalter is shrinking in this “big” moment. He is coaching far too conservatively. Both games so far have looked like we are playing for the tie. Playing too carefully. We are lucky we didn’t lose this one. Canada had multiple good opportunities to put it away.

Don’t know why Berhalter waited til after the 80th minute to make his subs even though it was evident we were fatigued all over the field. 10 minutes is hardly enough time to get into any kind of rhythm. Damn!!

Love the goal scoring from our Strikers!

The Adam's foul on the breakaway was a killer.

Anyway, I did like Aaronson's comments, but damn where do we get our goals from up front?

There are still 12 games left. A draw at Honduras will suffice. USMNT can't afford anymore draws at home. Maybe one or two more if they pick up 3 points on other road games.

There are still 12 games left. A draw at Honduras will suffice. USMNT can't afford anymore draws at home. Maybe one or two more if they pick up 3 points on other road games.
True, but no US fan should be happy with 3 points or even 5 after these 3 games. El Salvador, Canada, and Honduras don’t qualify on a regular basis to the World Cup. They still have to play 4 games versus Costa Rica and Mexico.

True, but no US fan should be happy with 3 points or even 5 after these 3 games. El Salvador, Canada, and Honduras don’t qualify on a regular basis to the World Cup. They still have to play 4 games versus Costa Rica and Mexico.

We have to come away with 5. Expected at least 7 after the first 3. But 2 or 3 points will be a disastrous start.

I was really disappointed in Yedlin and Brooks on Canada's goal. A tie at home is a crap result.

lieb
Agree about yedlin and Brooks. And I was applauding the Brooks-Ream change. Brooks didn’t look fit, got caught out of position, didn’t mark well and his touch was a bit sloppy.

Yedlin usually is a bit more involved offensively, with nice runs down the line, but he looked off too.

A tie at home does suck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT