ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colorado leaving the PAC 12

Natty, just ask yourself this question. If Coastal Carolina fell into the ocean or North Korea bombed the city and leveled it, would WKU, MTSU, or LaTech turn down the SBC to replace them?

If you believe they would rather stay in CUSA, then I don’t know if you’re capable of seeing what is going on.

Last edited:
They wanted tighter geography and hated utep/texas.
Tighter geography is better for travel which saves money. Natty is only looking at tv money. That’s what he doesn’t get. Aside from SBC football being immensely better than CUSA.

I don’t know if they hated UTEP or Texas. Texas St is still in the league. Though the trips to San Marcos are minimal, as were their trips to El Paso.

Reactions: nattybry
Why did USM, ODU, and Marshall leave then?
The TV contract was much smaller when they left was it not? You already know that and were one of the ones who said no way CUSA gets a better contact than they had. You were of course wrong as CUSA got a larger contract and is on par with the current Sun Belt TV Deal. Also regionally it made more sense for those teams. In addition to that with the other teams going to AAC, it was obviously the best time to get out. Again I'm not saying CUSA is better than the Sun Belt, I'm staying that with the new deal, the money that UTEP got from the teams leaving, etc... It'd be a lateral move at this time. AAC and MWC= Upgrades, Sun Belt= Lateral

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Tighter geography is better for travel which saves money. Natty is only looking at tv money. That’s what he doesn’t get. Aside from SBC football being immensely better than CUSA.

I don’t know if they hated UTEP or Texas. Texas St is still in the league. Though the trips to San Marcos are minimal, as were their trips to El Paso.

Which conference raided who? If SB loses teams where do you think they’ll get the replacements from?

That’s what makes a conference better. The security of knowing you can go get the best FBS team from CUSA instead of trying your luck with FCS teams that aren’t ready.
That is true, but that was more true 2 years ago than currently. At that time CUSA had a way shittier TV deal, and teams were making a mass exodus to AAC and Sun Belt. So that was the right time for those teams to do what they felt best. Currently and this could all change in the blink of an eye, I don't believe it's all that much Rosier in the Sun Belt for a team like Utep. If W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee leave I get ya then Utep and CUSA would have to pull from FCS diluting things even further. However we're not there yet so until or unless that happens if it's not MWC or AAC I don't see a great benefit besides stability to move to SBC. It would cost UTEP more at this time with the money they are receiving from teams that left, TV deal and whatever the cost is to move conferences. So back then yes, it would've been a good move, right now, not even that it's an option, but Sun Belt wouldn't be the correct move financially speaking.

Last edited:

Atleast the fans complained about CUSA being so Texas centric. Maybe the actual administrations felt that way as well. CUSA had 4 Texas schools at one point... now there's only two plus NMSU.

Latest news has .WC trying to take over the PAC 12 name. There are some obvious challenges with that I can imagine, especially financially. However it's very interesting and if that happens would some MWC teams be left behind?

The TV contract was much smaller when they left was it not? You already know that and were one of the ones who said no way CUSA gets a better contact than they had. You were of course wrong as CUSA got a larger contract and is on par with the current Sun Belt TV Deal. Also regionally it made more sense for those teams. In addition to that with the other teams going to AAC, it was obviously the best time to get out. Again I'm not saying CUSA is better than the Sun Belt, I'm staying that with the new deal, the money that UTEP got from the teams leaving, etc... It'd be a lateral move at this time. AAC and MWC= Upgrades, Sun Belt= Lateral
Yes, I was wrong about CUSA getting a better tv deal. Some of it was due to inflation and the rest because they decided to play Wednesday games in October, which will hurt their game attendance.

You were also wrong because you thought CUSA could get Coastal Carolina and other SBC teams to join when CUSA was losing teams. So na na na boo boo.

It wouldn’t make sense for UTEP to join the SBC or for the SBC to have UTEP join, but LaTech, MTSU, FIU, and WKU would leave CUSA in a second to be in the SBC.

It also wouldn’t be a lateral move, as the SBC has better football programs. Basketball would be, but UTEP has sucky basketball now, so they’re part of the problem.

• Haha
Latest news has .WC trying to take over the PAC 12 name. There are some obvious challenges with that I can imagine, especially financially. However it's very interesting and if that happens would some MWC teams be left behind?
MWC has all the power and would only want the name. The MWC commissioner isn’t going to leave Wyoming and Utah St or anyone else behind.

Atleast the fans complained about CUSA being so Texas centric. Maybe the actual administrations felt that way as well. CUSA had 4 Texas schools at one point... now there's only two plus NMSU.
Makes sense that basketball fans would be upset about having the basketball tournament in Frisco every year. Now the shoe is on the other foot. UTEP and NMSU fans have to travel to Huntsville, Alabama while it’s more “central” for the 8 other teams.

It looks like the 2PAC will wait until the very extent of the deadline (2024, when all the other teams leave). Otherwise they should have already joined the MWC.

UTEP should call both and schedule games with them next year. They'll need the games. Oh nvm. We scheduled Southern Utah and already have three money games.

Yes, I was wrong about CUSA getting a better tv deal. Some of it was due to inflation and the rest because they decided to play Wednesday games in October, which will hurt their game attendance.

You were also wrong because you thought CUSA could get Coastal Carolina and other SBC teams to join when CUSA was losing teams. So na na na boo boo.

It wouldn’t make sense for UTEP to join the SBC or for the SBC to have UTEP join, but LaTech, MTSU, FIU, and WKU would leave CUSA in a second to be in the SBC.

It also wouldn’t be a lateral move, as the SBC has better football programs. Basketball would be, but UTEP has sucky basketball now, so they’re part of the problem.
Lol Na Na Na Boo Boo 🤣 That was funny. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I know I did call Jacksonville St. before it was announced, but that was luck and I just happened to hear some birdies chirping where I was at the time. Either way, UTEP has been left behind time and time again, that we can all agree on that. I don't know if I see that changing very soon unless there's major change from up top and on the field/court.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It looks like the 2PAC will wait until the very extent of the deadline (2024, when all the other teams leave). Otherwise they should have already joined the MWC.

UTEP should call both and schedule games with them next year. They'll need the games. Oh nvm. We scheduled Southern Utah and already have three money games.
OSU and WSU need to do something. They need 8 more games for next year. Tick tock

Either way, UTEP has been left behind time and time again, that we can all agree on that. I don't know if I see that changing very soon unless there's major change from up top and on the field/court.
I don’t think it really matters at this point. Catastrophic occurrences would have to happen in the AAC, SBC, and MWC for UTEP to be even considered in for those leagues.

Seems likely OSU and WSU will be with the MWC in some form. Gives them 14 for football. Maybe they add a basketball only team at some point, it won’t be UTEP.

Is the Big 12 going to get more teams in the future?Maybe. Probably Memphis. Maybe SDSU. Who knows. Probably not enough teams for UTEP to get in the P-MWC.

I think we’re “stuck” for a long time. Won’t really matter if we have 2004/5 type of success anymore.

I just love how UTEP gets thrown in, thrown out and undercut by the haters when in facts nothing has been stated nor is UTEP going anywhere.

I just love how UTEP gets thrown in, thrown out and undercut by the haters when in facts nothing has been stated nor is UTEP going anywhere.
I've read quite a bit of expansion blogs who mention UTEP in MWC Expansion and even one time in Big 12 expansion lol I'm not saying that we are on these Presidents and ADs lists. I'm saying our name has been mentioned by others besides Miner Fans.

I've read quite a bit of expansion blogs who mention UTEP in MWC Expansion and even one time in Big 12 expansion lol I'm not saying that we are on these Presidents and ADs lists. I'm saying our name has been mentioned by others besides Miner Fans.
I was referring to our in house, all knowing, all UTEP hater.

I was referring to our in house, all knowing, all UTEP hater.
Yeah, because I was one of the few that predicted that UTEP would beat UIW. Such a hater I am.

List all the positives of UTEP athletics and what would make them desirable to a conference, especially the MWC. Put me in my place 2Step.

Looks like the next chapter is in the infant stages for the PAC-??. It will be interesting to see what the ruling is but I still don't see a path to survival for the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT