ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

No, I don't have it
Local government officials in Wuhan are to blame. The National Chinese government shares it but to a lesser degree.
Don't think Russia is behind it but they are loving watching what is doing to the U.S. and China.
It won't end for 2 more months based on the timeline from China
I think they should give out more to people with incomes under 50k. Which would mean little to non for me.

I don't know, but I think the entire country of China knew what was going on in Wuhan from the early stages

No, I don't have it
Local government officials in Wuhan are to blame. The National Chinese government shares it but to a lesser degree.
Don't think Russia is behind it but they are loving watching what is doing to the U.S. and China.
It won't end for 2 more months based on the timeline from China
I think they should give out more to people with incomes under 50k. Which would mean little to non for me.

Im no expert on the disease by any means but I don’t know if we can look at China’s response as an indication of when it will end. They had an aggressive stay at home policy which has helped stop the spread of the disease. Unfortunately in The United States we have people partying for Spring Break, people in Cali are still at beaches and it seems like people still have this lax attitude when it comes to this disease.

Today New York has topped 20,000 cases.
Although I would like for sports to return sooner rather than later,
I don't imagine the NBA or MLB returning this year.

If the virus makes a comeback in the fall, that would also affect the NFL, college football and next year's college basketball season too.

Utter horse pucks they didn't know. I was buying lysol, wipes and rubber gloves mid February and I am not a rocket scientist. Maybe you can say we didn't anticipate the growth exponentially, but all one had to do was look across the pond. We are paying for it because of the lack of advanced preparation of the government. Testing behind the eight ball, protective equipment almost non existent , military medical ships in dry dock. I hope that warm weather stalls this bug, but as contagious as it is, makes you wonder.

New York had its first case March 3rd, yesterday they had 4851 new cases. This thing is moving fast. Lets all hope our current lifestyle returns quickly, but not sure if that will happen. China was on quarantine for almost three months before they could announce no new cases in Wunan. Man oh man I miss my sports and old lifestyle.

I do know the canines in my neighborhood are loving it as I haven't seen so many out for walks in my life....

This is starting to remind me of those Super Hero movies in which the Epic Fight scene at the end destroys every building in New York City. You wonder if the damage done by killing the villain was worth crippling an entire city.

This is starting to remind me of those Super Hero movies in which the Epic Fight scene at the end destroys every building in New York City. You wonder if the damage done by killing the villain was worth crippling an entire city.
Are you suggesting we leave the villain (virus) alone and just leave it up to chance?

Are you suggesting we leave the villain (virus) alone and just leave it up to chance?

I dont know, but I think if we let this go on for months we may look back and ask if it was worth it. People are talking about 20% unemployment and a depression.

If we had a compliant society, in which everyone would Quarantine for 15 days and be disciplined about it, we could get passed this. But that's not happening.

I dont know, but I think if we let this go on for months we may look back and ask if it was worth it. People are talking about 20% unemployment and a depression.

If we had a compliant society, in which everyone would Quarantine for 15 days and be disciplined about it, we could get passed this. But that's not happening.
It's your risk-benefit analysis. If you think that risking the health of millions of people is worth the benefit of calling whatever ever we're in now a recession rather than a depression, then by all means.

As I've read, we're essentially in a catch-22 right now. We probably can't avoid a recession/depression at this point. But, if we decide next week that it's all over, everyone back to work, then you're risking more people dying, more people getting sick and not being able to work, more people passing the virus onto others, more people staying at home trying help someone who is sick, and then at some point as it continues to go on like, people just not showing up to work out of fear. Essentially, we're stuck either way.

We’re stuck either way because of food. Some people have enough to last 2 weeks. What do we do about those that don’t have 2 weeks worth of food? How can someone acquire food if grocery stores and Popeyes are closed? Who is going to work at the grocery stores and Popeyes if we’re all quarantined?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Hopefully, all this teaches us to be better prepared. To value expertise in our leaders. To value science and math. To value the "low-skilled" workers we are so reliant on right now.

I'll volunteer to work at any grocery store if it is needed. I think this gonna last to june, though.... I'll help you guys out with whatever I can, because we gonna throw the biggest party eva when this is done

Reactions: develman
Hopefully, all this teaches us to be better prepared. To value expertise in our leaders. To value science and math. To value the "low-skilled" workers we are so reliant on right now.

So you’re suggesting to pay “low-skilled” workers more then? What about the higher skilled workers that went to school, you’re going to value them less because they didn’t want to be a stock boy at Big 8?

We’re stuck either way because of food. Some people have enough to last 2 weeks. What do we do about those that don’t have 2 weeks worth of food? How can someone acquire food if grocery stores and Popeyes are closed? Who is going to work at the grocery stores and Popeyes if we’re all quarantined?
What do you think we're gonna do? You don't even have to ask a question like that. We take care of our own

It's a super complicated question. Thanks to modern science, we haven't had a pandemic since the 50s.

The bad economy is awful. I can't imagine risking 2-3 million dead however. Field hospitals with patients outside or in some makeshift building.

Reactions: Prospero915
What do you think we're gonna do? You don't even have to ask a question like that. We take care of our own

That’s not really a quarantine then is it? You can’t leave your house to feed your starving neighbor. Once you let loose of several exemptions, the quarantine means less and less. Also, there’s not enough police or national guard to enforce in cities that are sprawled out.

If your food less mom is in some apartment building in NYC with a bunch of others, nobody is taking care of them

I do not know or care about who that is and I’m 1000% sure I have never mentioned him on this message board. Must have me confused with someone else.
Oh it's the other contrarian then, you two are pretty much indistinguishable to me. Just always arguing for arguings sake. Looking for something to argue about. Focusing on minor, unimportant details.

Oh it's the other contrarian then, you two are pretty much indistinguishable to me. Just always arguing for arguings sake. Looking for something to argue about. Focusing on minor, unimportant details.

It is important if you’re going to make dumb statements, “I’m going to volunteer at Chico’s Tacos”

You volunteer at places you can volunteer at. Grocery stores and any real business don’t have volunteers as employees. You can’t volunteer at Big 8. It’s called a job.

Not if you have a true quarantine and that is different from “volunteering at a grocery store” isn’t it?
Nah, I work for a company that provides services to the elderly. and others were laid off on Thursday. My coworkers still trying to help those in need, what can you do? You Need to help out and not dig your head in the sand.... We can't just let people ****ing die.... Your parents/grandparents, it can't happen and it won't

Reactions: minermx07
We can't just let people ****ing die.... Your parents/grandparents, it can't happen and it won't

You’re right. But we can’t let you and your buddies go house to house, helping people. Unless you have been tested and are wearing protective gear when entering homes, you’re part of the problem. No matter how altruistic your deeds may seem.

You’re right. But we can’t let you and your buddies go house to house, helping people. Unless you have been tested and are wearing protective gear when entering homes, you’re part of the problem. No matter how altruistic your deeds may seem.
trust me, I'm more sanitized, more protected than most folks.... What would you say if this was a disaster for the gay community?

ADVERTISEMENT