ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

Someone explain to me how the U.S has more cases than China and in the world?? Why arent there many cases in Russia or Japan? When things like this happens it's hard not to think something fishy is going on.

Reactions: axingfools1
Someone explain to me how the U.S has more cases than China and in the world?? Why arent there many cases in Russia or Japan? When things like this happens it's hard not to think something fishy is going on.

There are rumors China is under-reporting. Also, China put their country on serious lockdown. No families were partying and disobeying the government over there.

Russia is a very insular nation with a limited amount of travel. They may also be under-reporting.

Asia because of its population density and experience with SARS is pretty good at social distancing. They flattened the curve effectively.

Maybe in 5 years when this happens again, we'll be able to point at this experience and say we did better because we went through this before.

There are rumors China is under-reporting. Also, China put their country on serious lockdown. No families were partying and disobeying the government over there.

Russia is a very insular nation with a limited amount of travel. They may also be under-reporting.

Asia because of its population density and experience with SARS is pretty good at social distancing. They flattened the curve effectively.

Maybe in 5 years when this happens again, we'll be able to point at this experience and say we did better because we went through this before.

Still doesn't explain how a land across a ocean has more cases . Hong Kong basically has low cases. How does America already have the most ??

Still doesn't explain how a land across a ocean has more cases . Hong Kong basically has low cases. How does America already have the most ??

It was totally explained to you. Very strict lockdowns. It’s the only way to flatten the curve at this point.

We Americans just aren’t very good at following this directive because it seems to infringe upon too many people’s liberties. We’ll eventually get it, one way or another.

It was totally explained to you. Very strict lockdowns. It’s the only way to flatten the curve at this point.

We Americans just aren’t very good at following this directive because it seems to infringe upon too many people’s liberties. We’ll eventually get it, one way or another.

I agree that many Americans fail to comprehend the gravity of the situation and their arrogance is part of the reason why we’re not able to get it under control in a faster manner.

Eventually we’ll figure out the truth when it comes to China’s response to this disease. They had a vast number of citizens traveling home and then back again for the Lunar New Year earlier in the year, and they definitely accelerated the spread of the disease. But they also built hospitals and were disinfecting whole cities which is something that we aren’t doing.

I dont believe it.
This virus started back in Jan. Countries weren't in shutdown back then. Italy ishutdown started a week before the U.S I believe . I'm not comparing numbers to the poor countries because they probably do have the resources to test everyone. India is right next to China they started their lockdown same time around America. China and India numbers should be higher than everybody else.

Reactions: axingfools1
I dont believe it.
This virus started back in Jan. Countries weren't in shutdown back then. Italy ishutdown started a week before the U.S I believe . I'm not comparing numbers to the poor countries because they probably do have the resources to test everyone. India is right next to China they started their lockdown same time around America. China and India numbers should be higher than everybody else.

Take away New York and there are 4 countries, including China and Italy, with more infected people than the US.

New York skews our country’s numbers as they have over 40% of the US’s documented cases. Throw in New Jersey and its over 50%. New York City alone has 38,000 cases.

It is because they live like sardines in that area and didn’t practice Social distancing early enough.

I’m not going to dismiss that there may be “something fishy going on” as you put it, however it is easy to see why our numbers are so disproportionately high.

I dont believe it.

It's funny that you think you played with college basketball players, but you don't believe facts.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner

It’s unfortunate that people wanted to see a boat come into harbor in the midst of this mess. But as dumb as the average person is there is a reason to be hopeful: We are probably in the midst of the largest mobilization of since World War 2 to fight this disease. Every country is developing vaccines and treatments, and with that many scientists working on it, something will hit sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Self-isolation-coronavirus-spread-COVID19-social-distancing-2383069.jpg

Look at UTEPMiners8106's picture above this post of all the idiots watching a stupid boat dock instead of staying home in a city that has over 38,000 cases. There will be at least one person who got infected in boat docking viewing party crowd. Look at the Normal Behavior in the picture I posted and do the math. So all it takes is 3 people to get infected from watching a boat dock to add another 1200 people to the statistic list in 30 days. People are not taking this Corona thing seriously in the USA.

Look at UTEPMiners8106's picture above this post of all the idiots watching a stupid boat dock instead of staying home in a city that has over 38,000 cases. There will be at least one person who got infected in boat docking viewing party crowd. Look at the Normal Behavior in the picture I posted and do the math. So all it takes is 3 people to get infected from watching a boat dock to add another 1200 people to the statistic list in 30 days. People are not taking this Corona thing seriously in the USA.
Entitlement and/or an overblown sense of mortality that they think requires a sense of hope.

To any idiots out there: JUST FOLLOW THE RULES STUPID!

As per KVIA

EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso City Council approved a new partnership Tuesday with UTEP which would allow select faculty members at the university to process coronavirus tests in the area.

The faculty utilized would be part of a clinical laboratory at the university. UTEP President Heather Wilson said four faculty members would be involved, with the possibility of two additional faculty members also becoming involved.

"The public health department contacted us," Wilson said. "They contacted our clinical laboratory science department and said, 'do you have any people ready to go and help us?'"

The agreement approved at the council meeting will last 12 months and the city will reimburse lab costs.

"We're part of this community," Wilson said. "Most of the people who work at that lab are UTEP alumni. We teach this. It's something we're good at. The community needs us, so that's what we're here for."

Local Catholic churches spreading rumor that parking lot masses were allowed by Gov. Abbott. That is not true as per a federal law enforcement officer that works with EP Catholic diocese directly (I would love to give direct source but I am not allowed).

Local Catholic churches spreading rumor that parking lot masses were allowed by Gov. Abbott. That is not true as per a federal law enforcement officer that works with EP Catholic diocese directly (I would love to give direct source but I am not allowed).
Maybe the priests are mad now cause they are having to live the way they are actually supposed too?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
El Paso School nurses are being asked to help with testing as Volunteers. And they have to do it on nights and weekends when they are technically 'off.'

Probably nothing, which is why it makes no sense that they cant do this during normal business hours. They have to quarantine from 8-4 and then moonlight as a volunteer.

Yeah that’s dumb. You could have some work early and some work later in the day. Oh well, us citizens don’t know shit!

Reactions: kickballpro

The EU had to create a bullshit meter website because it is getting that bad.

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/

Sometimes I feel that there are people who actually WANT there to be many deaths from this so they can say they were right and blame the other side of the political spectrum

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Sometimes I feel that there are people who actually WANT there to be many deaths from this so they can say they were right and blame the other side of the political spectrum

You're right. There are people on here who posted the same things.

So what you guys think about that new drug that suppose to stop this Coronavirus. It seems like the Republicans like it but Democrats dont.

hydroxychloroquine
Everyone likes it. Everyone hopes it works. President Trump is rushing in front of good science, skipping the trials and promising it as a wonder drug.

What Trump is doing is being like the fun parent who promises the kids something awesome and the other parent/adults have to scramble to make it happen or they look like the bad guy.

But doctors can use it already. We'll see if it works.

Everyone likes it. Everyone hopes it works. President Trump is rushing in front of good science, skipping the trials and promising it as a wonder drug.

What Trump is doing is being like the fun parent who promises the kids something awesome and the other parent/adults have to scramble to make it happen or they look like the bad guy.

But doctors can use it already. We'll see if it works.

Avigan (favipiravir) is going to become a common medicine around here soon is my prediction. Japan seems to be on to something.

hydroxychloroquine
Yes It's supposed to decrease the effect of the virus and allow for a quicker recovery. Has some bad potential side effects as well. We are using it in the hospital along with azithromycin.

Last edited:
Yes It's supposed to decrease the effect of the virus and allow for a quicker recovery. Has some bad potential side effects as well. We are using it in the hospital along with azithromycin.

So its working??
Democrats and CNN says it doesn't.

So its working??
It's worked on like 20 patients I think in France. I'm pretty sure at least 100 patients who recovered ate jello at the hospital. Is that the cure?

You need a more thorough scientific study before you can claim causality. Was it a coincidence that it helped patients? Does it help some patients but hurt others? Does it have side effects?

It's worked on like 20 patients I think in France. I'm pretty sure at least 100 patients who recovered ate jello at the hospital. Is that the cure?

You need a more thorough scientific study before you can claim causality. Was it a coincidence that it helped patients? Does it help some patients but hurt others? Does it have side effects?
The french doctor is a whack job https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/hydroxychloroquine-trump/609547/

"Raoult's team examined a small number of patients, and chose which received treatment with the malaria drug and which did not. That breaks with standard practice in clinical trials of randomly assigning patients to treatment or control groups to avoid bias. The scientists also failed to collect full data from some patients, failing to follow the study protocol they had designed"."https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...ersial-doctor-stirs-coronavirus-debate-156889

Reactions: minermx07

But like Trump said what's the harm in trying it. People are dying if it could save lives they should try it. I dont see the big problem in trying it.

But like Trump said what's the harm in trying it. People are dying if it could save lives they should try it. I dont see the big problem in trying it.
Definitely and doctors already are trying it. No one is stopping doctors from doing so. You just can't call it the cure already. Like hold up. Let the doctors do their thing. Doctors are high fiving each other, yelling they found the cure. Let the science take its course.

When Trump says its the cure. That every doctor should be prescribing it. Well, he's getting in the way of the pros (the doctors). A doctor might go another way to help the patient (thousands have recovered other ways) and the patient is mad because they don't think they're getting the real cure. The real cure is what Trump says it is.

Why are you giving me this treatment? Why not give me the treatment Dr. Oz, Trump, and Fox News says fixes all of this?

A lot of patients just need bed rest and they get the diagnosis and they want to take a powerful anti-malarial drug that just wrecks you to kill a powerful virus.

So its working??
Hard to say yet. The virus has varying degrees of effect on different people based on different factors. It's not that easy. Its definitely not a cure, but it's likely helping some people get better quicker by decreasing the effect of the virus (which causes hypoxia by not letting hemoglobin bind to oxygen)

That being said, once a patient gets hypoxic or goes into shock then it's much more difficult to recover (even if you are giving hydroxychloroquine, antibiotics, or other modalities). People die from other complications that the virus triggers. This is why people with comorbidities and increased age are at higher risk.

There are side effects. Specifically QT prolongation which is a disruption of the electrical impulses and depolarization in the heart that can lead to arrhythmia and a worst case sxenerio of sudden death. It can also cause problems in the bone marrow where blood cells are produced.

I watched when Trump was asked about Hydroxychloroquine and when he said he might take it himself. I couldn't tell exactly what he meant but 1) it's not yet intended to take when you are not that sick/hypoxic and 2) other people need it for other illnesses so just taking it for the hell of it could cause a shortage while also having a risk>reward effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT