ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cowboys

We know the Cowboys haven't reached the NFC Championship Game this century.

But how many of the times in the playoffs did they lose to the eventual NFC Champion?

I remember that season the Cowboys were the #1 seed and then they had to play the Giants, whom they had already beaten twice that season. The Giants won and then went on to win the Super Bowl, denying the Patriots their perfect season. They also lost to the Giants in the 2007 season, when they also won the Super Bowl.

2018 they lost to the Rams who went on to the Super Bowl.

If the '49ers win tonight, talk about facing the wrong team at the wrong time.

Of course, if they want to return to the Super Bowl, they have to beat those teams.

Reactions: axingfools1

But how many of the times in the playoffs did they lose to the eventual NFC Champion?

I remember that season the Cowboys were the #1 seed and then they had to play the Giants, whom they had already beaten twice that season. The Giants won and then went on to win the Super Bowl, denying the Patriots their perfect season. They also lost to the Giants in the 2007 season, when they also won the Super Bowl.

Of course, if they want to return to the Super Bowl, they have to beat those teams.
Yep. Makes me think of how far Barbee's last team may have gone in the NCAA had we not met up with Butler.

Also of how close we were to the final 4 in 92'

Last edited:

So much for that.

49’er v Rams fans crammed into a small area of real estate in privately owned facilities that owners will operate with costs concerns first (net operating income), safety second. Did they expect a Christian revival event? Don’t shame the police, shame the living hell out of the NFL for not addressing violent brawls, altercations and lack of apparent intent to tone down fan behavior.

When I buy UTEP season tickets there is pen on paper, CUSA no signature required verbiage that proper fan behavior is a must and expected, on and off the facilities (no improper contact with players & recruits).

Treating drunken brawlers with mall cop enforcement does not work.

A)Beer sales end by 1st quarter with NFL to revisit when in stadium violent events reduce.

B)Parking lots/garages are to offer in person security per space/level basis, cameras are not good enough of a deterrent. One security per level or one per 50 car spaces.

C) NFL to provide a (municipal) judge on site for games if violent altercations do not reduce with actual on site holding detention rooms with access to all legal tools and equipment.

D) As with DUI & “violent act on family members” offenders, mug shots and names will be publicly released of those who cause physical harm, immediately.

Last edited:
Now on the other hand, Turpin could be a game changer. Having a Devin Hester type returner is invaluable, especially since we have an offensive line that has not been fixed or revamped in years.

The difference when Smith is playing (Ranked 14th as a Unit) and not (Ranked 30th) is huge. We are basically going from an All-Pro to a rookie at the position.

Now on the other hand, Turpin could be a game changer. Having a Devin Hester type returner is invaluable, especially since we have an offensive line that has not been fixed or revamped in years.

The difference when Smith is playing (Ranked 14th as a Unit) and not (Ranked 30th) is huge. We are basically going from an All-Pro to a rookie at the position.
I think they will add a veteran LT ASAP

Dallas is in a world of hurt right now. Dak just can’t stay healthy and they’re stuck with him for the next 2-3 years because his cap number is so high. And those WRs are absolute bums. Lamb needs to switch to no 87 because he’s the furthest thing from a no 88.

In Jerry Jones’ tenure as owner of the Dallas Cowboys I can’t remember a time where they’ve ever drafted or signed a quality backup QB. In the last 10 plus years especially they’ve been more than willing to roll the dice on undrafted/bottom of the barrel talent.

Last edited:
Dallas is in a world of hurt right now. Dak just can’t stay healthy and they’re stuck with him for the next 2-3 years because his cap number is so high. And those WRs are absolute bums. Lamb needs to switch to no 87 because he’s the furthest thing from a no 88.

In Jerry Jones’ tenure as owner of the Dallas Cowboys I can’t remember a time where they’ve ever drafted or signed a quality backup QB. In the last 10 plus years especially they’ve been more than willing to roll the dice on undrafted/bottom of the barrel talent.
I seem to remember a certain redhead with starting experience who had to play a big chunk of the season... That team had problems, but he wasn't one of them.

Such a tired comment. Curious, what has the Jones family not done that you would have them do?
What has he done? In 27 straight years he has never won a divisional playoff game. Their only success was when Jimmy Johnson was the coach and Jerry tried to take all the credit and fired him. Switzer won with Jimmy's players. They won because of Jimmy and his decisions, not Jerry's.

Signing Elliot to a long term contract and overpaying Dak has tied up all the money. Look at the receiving core. Our second receiver is an undrafted free agent. The O line has deteriorated because we don't have money for a better one. These are just a fraction of the poor decisions that he has made, because I could go on for days.

He should not be the President, GM and owner. No team that has not won a divisional playoff game in 27 years should have an incompetent GM. Would you have your job after 5, if you produced those results? His ego, and know it all attitude has doomed this team because he refuses to hire a GM. Parcells will tell you the same thing about him. He could only stand to work with Jerry for 2 years because he would fight with him over everything.

Lastly, he had to hire coaches that are "Yes" men, because a decent coach will never coach under Jerry. We will never have a great coach as long as Jerry is there because Jerry is the coach. He is the know it all guy that actually knows nothing. The most dangerous type of guy, and it has shown when you don't win a divisional playoff game in 27 years.

Last edited:

First, you have to have the money to sign a very good backup. We don't because it is tied up with Elliot and Dak. Secondly, I would argue that we may have the best backup right now. No one complained about him when he beat Minnesota at Minnesota last year. We are actually lucky to have him because he could start for other teams.

And yes, we have had good ones like Dalton in the past. Don't forget Tony Romo was the backup. Mark Sanchez, Cassel, Weeden, Orten, Kitna, Johnson. All great names that turned out terribly bad. You just don't know how these guys fit in until they play. I would say we are very lucky to have Cooper Rush.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
What has he done? In 27 straight years he has never won a divisional playoff game. Their only success was when Jimmy Johnson was the coach and Jerry tried to take all the credit and fired him. Switzer won with Jimmy's players. They won because of Jimmy and his decisions, not Jerry's.

Signing Elliot to a long term contract and overpaying Dak has tied up all the money. Look at the receiving core. Our second receiver is an undrafted free agent. The O line has deteriorated because we don't have money for a better one. These are just a fraction of the poor decisions that he has made, because I could go on for days.

He should not be the President, GM and owner. No team that has not won a divisional playoff game in 27 years should have an incompetent GM. Would you have your job after 5, if you produced those results? His ego, and know it all attitude has doomed this team because he refuses to hire a GM. Parcells will tell you the same thing about him. He could only stand to work with Jerry for 2 years because he would fight with him over everything.

Lastly, he had to hire coaches that are "Yes" men, because a decent coach will never coach under Jerry. We will never have a great coach as long as Jerry is there because Jerry is the coach. He is the know it all guy that actually knows nothing. The most dangerous type of guy, and it has shown when you don't win a divisional playoff game in 27 years.
Was Bill Parcells a yes man? He was given full control. How did that work out ? The cowboys have been very close several times just haven’t been able to get back over the hump. You act like Jerry doesn’t want to win. Ridiculous.

First, you have to have the money to sign a very good backup. We don't because it is tied up with Elliot and Dak. Secondly, I would argue that we may have the best backup right now. No one complained about him when he beat Minnesota at Minnesota last year. We are actually lucky to have him because he could start for other teams.

And yes, we have had good ones like Dalton in the past. Don't forget Tony Romo was the backup. Mark Sanchez, Cassel, Weeden, Orten, Kitna, Johnson. All great names that turned out terribly bad. You just don't know how these guys fit in until they play. I would say we are very lucky to have Cooper Rush.
You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. First off, the cowboys are under the salary cap right now. Your comment about Dak and Zeke is simply wrong. The off-season moves they made have resulted in a flush amount of cash. Secondly, when did Mark Sanchez and “Cassel” whoever that is, play QB for the Cowboys?

Are you serious?

Andy Dalton. He was probably the best backup QB on the market that season. 3-time Pro Bowler, multi-year starter. It wasn't that long ago.

Are you actually a Cowboys fan?
I forgot about Dalton to be honest, so that’s one. But even then he didn’t sign with Dallas to be a long term backup for the team. He bet on himself and parlayed that one year into a 13 million deal with Chicago.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. First off, the cowboys are under the salary cap right now. Your comment about Dak and Zeke is simply wrong. The off-season moves they made have resulted in a flush amount of cash. Secondly, when did Mark Sanchez and “Cassel” whoever that is, play QB for the Cowboys?

If you don't know that Mark Sanchez played with the Cowboys, and who Matt Cassel is than there is really no reason to answer any further.

Next you make it easier to say, "If the Cowboys are so under the cap, then why haven't they fixed their offensive line? Or why is there second receiver an undrafted free agent? What are they doing with the money?"

Just goes to further show you that Jerry is not a good GM. Parcell's said the same thing, he is the one that righted the ship, and had them back in the playoffs, and then walked away after only 2 years as a coach because he could not deal with Jerry. He even made the comment. "Give them another 2 years and they will be right back where they were before". A comment directly towards Jerry and his know it all ego.

Sorry, but not getting over the hump for 27 years is a few too many. It's like saying the Miners haven't won a bowl game since 1967 because they just can't get over the hump.

Reactions: FedupMiner
If you don't know that Mark Sanchez played with the Cowboys, and who Matt Cassel is than there is really no reason to answer any further.

Next you make it easier to say, "If the Cowboys are so under the cap, then why haven't they fixed their offensive line? Or why is there second receiver an undrafted free agent? What are they doing with the money?"

Just goes to further show you that Jerry is not a good GM. Parcell's said the same thing, he is the one that righted the ship, and had them back in the playoffs, and then walked away after only 2 years as a coach because he could not deal with Jerry. He even made the comment. "Give them another 2 years and they will be right back where they were before". A comment directly towards Jerry and his know it all ego.

Sorry, but not getting over the hump for 27 years is a few too many. It's like saying the Miners haven't won a bowl game since 1967 because they just can't get over the hump.
I stand corrected on Sanchez and Cassel. Btw Parcells coached the cowboys for 4 seasons not 2 and the facts do remain that the cowboys are flush with cash at the moment

I stand corrected on Sanchez and Cassel. Btw Parcells coached the cowboys for 4 seasons not 2 and the facts do remain that the cowboys are flush with cash at the moment
You are right, Parcells did coach them for 4 years. I was wrong. He somehow made the playoffs with Quincy Carter, a guy Jerry drafted in the second round, who was no better than a sixth rounder. Jerry was heavily criticized for that pick. This was the guy that replaced Troy Aikman.
He also did not want T.O. on the team and fought with Jerry on that.

If the Cowboys are flushed with cash, why hasn't Jerry fixed the O-line and have a better receiving core around Dak? They got Cooper years ago specifically because the excuse that Dak was not winning was that he had no receiving core. It does not make sense. Not saying the cash, but the decisions.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT