ADVERTISEMENT

OT El Paso Chihuahuas Wins 3rd Straight Division Championship!!!

There is no comparison between minor league baseball and division 1 athletics. It's apples to oranges

That doesn't change the above statement.

It's a stupid statement. They don't pick the players managers or coaches the Padres do and pay their salaries. All they do is run the day to day operations and marketing. Which they don't do as well as Albuquerque who averaged more fans per game.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
It's a stupid statement. They don't pick the players managers or coaches the Padres do and pay their salaries. All they do is run the day to day operations and marketing. Which they don't do as well as Albuquerque who averaged more fans per game.

It's a stupid statement that Mountain Star Sports is a first class sports organization? Is that really what you're saying?

The reason others average more fans is because their ballparks hold more people.

Yeah they do cheap gimmicky minor league promotions. Not even close to the same thing.

And UTEP's promotions are????

Apparently you have never been to a Chihuahuas game. I have never heard one complaint from anybody after going to a Chihuahuas game. The bobbleheads and championship rings they gave out were pretty nice. I really didn't care about the t-shirts, but they weren't bad.

I heard UTEP was pissed at the Chihuahuas for giving out Don Haskins bobbleheads. UTEP had years to make a bobblehead, but failed to do it.

Last edited:
And UTEP's promotions are????

Apparently you have never been to a Chihuahuas game. I have never heard one complaint from anybody after going to a Chihuahuas game. The bobbleheads and championship rings they gave out were pretty nice. I really didn't care about the t-shirts, but they weren't bad.

I heard UTEP was pissed at the Chihuahuas for giving out Don Haskins bobbleheads. UTEP had years to make a bobblehead, but failed to do it.

It's minor league baseball. It's cheap gimmicky entertainment. It's totally different than marketing UTEP. At UTEP it's all about wins and losses. The chihuahuas is about cheap entertainment. LIke I said in the first post it's apples to oranges.

It's minor league baseball. It's cheap gimmicky entertainment. It's totally different than marketing UTEP. At UTEP it's all about wins and losses. The chihuahuas is about cheap entertainment. LIke I said in the first post it's apples to oranges.

So again, what type of promoting does UTEP do? What type of giveaway items do they provide?

I guess "cheap entertainment" works since they already attracted over 2 million. UTEP should follow suit.

Last edited:
For me, what the Miners can learn from the Chihuahuas is how to provide a better atmosphere for your fans. It's really important and would help UTEP a great deal.

Better food and drink, cutting down on the commercials during the game, better halftime shows, pre-shows, post-shows, would probably lift attendance by like 10,000 a game for football and 1,500 a game for basketball.

People always want to attend Chihuhuas games with me. Its fun. For the Miners, however, I have to drag them to the games because it's not a good time.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
How much of that bad time is attributed to the fact that people are just tired of watching them lose?

Even when they win, its not a great atmosphere at UTEP. Even when the Chihuahuas lose, its a better atmosphere at Southwest University Park.

1999-2000 and 2004-2006 was a great atmosphere in my opinion and so much of that excitement in the stadium had to do with the fact that we were winning. I get that UTEP needs to up the presentation in terms of atmosphere and entertaimnent, but a large part of the atmosphere is dependent on the crowd itself. You pack the Sun Bowl full of fans excited and expecting a win, that's so much different than 20,000 fans moaning when the team gets steamrolled.

True, but we all know EP fans will only support a winning team or go if they get something free. They will also show up if it's the cool thing to do. (De la Hoya fight, cowboy scrimmage, Whole Foods opening).

True, but we all know EP fans will only support a winning team or go if they get something free. They will also show up if it's the cool thing to do. (De la Hoya fight, cowboy scrimmage, Whole Foods opening).
UTEP football has been a loser cellar dweller for the last FIFTY YEARS and yet their attendance has been near the top of their league. Cut the El Paso fan some slack please.

Being in the top of this conference, doesn't make our attendance great. We have a stadium that sits over 50,00 and can't get it over half full. I remember when we were winning be crowed in my seat. I long for the excitement of a full stadium again.

1999-2000 and 2004-2006 was a great atmosphere in my opinion and so much of that excitement in the stadium had to do with the fact that we were winning. I get that UTEP needs to up the presentation in terms of atmosphere and entertaimnent, but a large part of the atmosphere is dependent on the crowd itself. You pack the Sun Bowl full of fans excited and expecting a win, that's so much different than 20,000 fans moaning when the team gets steamrolled.
Winning would help attendance and atmosphere for sure. However, that doesn't excuse their horrible marketing, local relations, food, atmosphere, etc.

It's an athletic department that has been phoning it in for a long time.

Winning would help attendance and atmosphere for sure. However, that doesn't excuse their horrible marketing, local relations, food, atmosphere, etc.

It's an athletic department that has been phoning it in for a long time.

I do agree with you that UTEP has barely beaten out high school football in terms of providing a great atmosphere. My only question to people is if UTEP games were more fun off the field, would people be more willing to attend even if there was no on the field improvement? Are people staying away from the football games because of the bad entertainment, and questionable food? Or because they hate watching the home team get smashed year in and year out?

I do agree with you that UTEP has barely beaten out high school football in terms of providing a great atmosphere. My only question to people is if UTEP games were more fun off the field, would people be more willing to attend even if there was no on the field improvement? Are people staying away from the football games because of the bad entertainment, and questionable food? Or because they hate watching the home team get smashed year in and year out?

Bob Stull and the athletic cabal at UTEP have long taken the loyal football fan base for granted. For decades the UTEP athletic department could count on 15-20k fans in their seats despite terrible football, food, and a terrible game day experience. The last few years many of those loyal fans have turned their backs on UTEP and opted for other forms of entertainment such as Chihuahuas baseball. This, along with a terribly boring and unsuccessful Kugler ball have taken a significant toll on UTEP football attendance as evidenced by a stadium that is 90% empty on game day.

Winning cures all. It gets people to show up. That's when bandwagon fans arrive in droves, in addition to the true fans that are always there. Once people show up, provide an entertaining atmosphere for the casual fan and some will probably want to come back win or lose. But I don't think UTEP can market its way to a full stadium. The Ws are the driving force, and the marketing/entertainment are secondary reinforcements.

Utep has done everything to discourage the casual fan. Making it hard to tailgate, boring halftime shows, rude parking attendants, nothing for the students. Their old band director had energy and tried to create fun this current one is a dud. Price had the players come out of the mine shaft, Kugler shafted(pun intended) that. Just not much excitement at the games. Winning will cure that, but a decent marketing dept. could help.

I think a 8-4 or 9-3 UTEP team would easily average about 40,000 a game with no changes in marketing/game-day atmosphere . Improve marketing and game-day atmosphere and we're talking like 48,000 a game. So I agree winning is the number one driver of attendance. However, the lack of winning is no excuse for the pitiful job UTEP does in presenting its product. In fact, I think it makes it worse that UTEP doesn't even bother to at least give the fans something, anything good make the usually terrible evenings more satisfying.

1999-2000 and 2004-2006 was a great atmosphere in my opinion and so much of that excitement in the stadium had to do with the fact that we were winning.

I think you mean the 2000-01 team. In 1999 the team went 5-7 including the game that made LaDainian Tomlinson famous when he torched our defense for over 400 yards.

The first ever Sell-Out for a UTEP football game(since the Sun Bowl was expanded to 52,000) happened in 1999. UTEP only had 5 home games that year, they had to play @Oregon, @Kansas State, @Arizona, @TCU, @Fresno State, @Hawaii @Rice, and they also played arguably the greatest team in NMSU history that year and their other non-conference game was against UNM. Other Home Games included SMU and Tulsa.......yet despite all of that they finished only 1 game under .500!

Everybody likes to write them off because of the bad ending with Ladanian Tomlinson, but that was a fun UTEP team to watch.

Last edited:
I think you mean the 2000-01 team. In 1999 the team went 5-7 including the game that made LaDainian Tomlinson famous when he torched our defense for over 400 yards.

You're absolutely right. 2000-2001. My mistake. When I look back at those years I really don't remember the band, or the food etc. making the experience. I remember all those fans packed in the Sun Bowl and how people were going crazy. Some of those games we actually had a good home field advantage.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Utep has done everything to discourage the casual fan. Making it hard to tailgate, boring halftime shows, rude parking attendants, nothing for the students. Their old band director had energy and tried to create fun this current one is a dud. Price had the players come out of the mine shaft, Kugler shafted(pun intended) that. Just not much excitement at the games. Winning will cure that, but a decent marketing dept. could help.
Well said!

Says who? You have no clue what you're talking about.

Its minor league baseball. You dont see cities having parades for triple a champions. You dont see the white house inviting teams. The main goal for a minor league team is to develop players. The bigger problem is that Padres are worse team in MLB.

Reactions: UTEPy79
I have to agree, minor league baseball puts an emphasis on the fan experience because players are always shuffling up and down through the system. They have a great thing over there but you can not compare the die hard fan-dom of a Chihuahuas game to a 2000 UTEP football game, or 1980s UTEP basketball. It's not even close.

Its minor league baseball. You dont see cities having parades for triple a champions. You dont see the white house inviting teams. The main goal for a minor league team is to develop players. The bigger problem is that Padres are worse team in MLB.

So nobody cared about the Women's NIT since there were no parades and there was no White House invitation? Nobody cared about the CBI when Barbee took us the the finals? Your logic is VERY flawed.

The Padres are developing players. They have one of the best farm systems in all of Minor League baseball.

So nobody cared about the Women's NIT since there were no parades and there was no White House invitation? Nobody cared about the CBI when Barbee took us the the finals? Your logic is VERY flawed.

The Padres are developing players. They have one of the best farm systems in all of Minor League baseball.

If padres had one of best farm systems they would be winning. San Diego is in danger of losing the padres they already lost the chargers. If padres lose that means the Chihuahuas have failed . what you think the padres management would rather have a playoff berth in MLB or a triple A championship?

Reactions: UTEPy79
If padres had one of best farm systems they would be winning. San Diego is in danger of losing the padres they already lost the chargers. If padres lose that means the Chihuahuas have failed . what you think the padres management would rather have a playoff berth in MLB or a triple A championship?

LMAO!!!!! The Padres are not in danger of losing the Padres. Please don't state silly things.

LMAO!!! The Padres losing have nothing to do with the Chihuahuas.

You clearly don't know what a farm system is. A farm system is to develop players and 3 Padres affiliates made the playoffs this year, so the Padres are on the right track.

Obviously the Padres would want a World Series vs. a AAA Championship, but that's not what we're talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT