ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso Chihuahuas

OsoFromELP

MI VIP
Sep 11, 2018
El Paso, TX
So with last night's split won/loss doubleheader in Albuquerque last night, the Chihuahuas will have their first losing season in team history. A disappointing season to be sure, coming off the cancelled 2020 season and an almost entirely new roster for 2021. Despite that, it's still an enjoyable atmosphere at Southwest University Park. I know the parent MLB clubs can care less about wins, losses, division and league championships in the minor leagues. It's all about player development for The Show. But hopefully the Chihuahuas will rebound in 2022.

Although the Chihuahuas have yet to release their 2022 schedule, they will begin the season on the road April 5th at Round Rock. The first homestand will be April 12th against Oklahoma City.

Reactions: kickballpro
Do the Chihuahuas actually have a real Chihuahua dog?? Like Georgia have a real bulldog at the games.

Hopefully May games. April games are in serious jeopardy.

The lockout doesn't affect Minor League Baseball.

If there is still a lockout when the Minor League season starts, then the teams will be comprised of players not on the 40-Man roster or players not signed to MLB contracts.

Reactions: kickballpro
The lockout doesn't affect Minor League Baseball.

If there is still a lockout when the Minor League season starts, then the teams will be comprised of players not on the 40-Man roster or players not signed to MLB contracts.
If the two sides settle this sometime in the first part of March, like most think. It will affect minor league baseball. Pitchers and catchers are not going to report next week. The MLB won't cancel regular season games unless they are forced to. At best there will be an abbreviated spring training. As a result the union and teams will demand alternate site squads be used to cut down on injuries the first month of the season. This would delay minor league baseball 4-6 weeks. Or they could take the suicidal approach become entrenched in a prolonged lockout cancel games and kill the sport.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: anon_yegnbe5pin2so
If the two sides settle this sometime in the first part of March, like most think. It will affect minor league baseball. Pitchers and catchers are not going to report next week. The MLB won't cancel regular season games unless they are forced to. At best there will be an abbreviated spring training. As a result the union and teams will demand alternate site squads be used to cut down on injuries the first month of the season. This would delay minor league baseball 4-6 weeks. Or they could take the suicidal approach become entrenched in a prolonged lockout cancel games and kill the sport.

You are 100% wrong:

"So any work stoppage at the MLB level does not impact the minor leagues"

"While the lockout has caused interruptions to MLB, it has been business as usual on the Minor League side with players already reporting to the Dodgers’ Spring Training complex to prepare for their season"

It will be effected if they bring back alternate sites which they would if there an abbreviated spring training.

As usual, you have no fu$$ing clue what you're talking about. Stop talking out of your a$$.

You think the average movie ticket is $28- Wrong

You say you have data points that lowering ticket prices doesn't increase revenue- Wrong

The lockout will affect the Minor League season- Wrong

Like I said, you are the resident dumba$$.

As usual, you have no fu$$ing clue what you're talking about. Stop talking out of your a$$.

You think the average movie ticket is $28- Wrong

You say you have data points that lowering ticket prices doesn't increase revenue- Wrong

The lockout will affect the Minor League season- Wrong

Like I said, you are the resident dumba$$.
The only dumbass is you.

As said I paid that at the movie before the pandemic.

We have data points for the last twenty years that cheap tickets don't increase revenue. Go look at them for yourself. You don't have to be a genius to do the math, but you're a dumbass. Since you are I'll do the math for you. $5x11,800 is $59,000. That's selling out the building with $5 tickets. Right now we are averaging 4,200 fans with an average ticket price of $30 ( the average price is probably higher). 4,200x30 is 126,000.
So we make twice the revenue now than we would if we sold out the building with $5. Which proves you're an absolute dumbass.

I guess you don't watch baseball or you would understand alternate sites. Does the lockout directly affect minor league baseball no. However an abbreviated spring training because of an 11 hour deal would. They will have to use alternate site squads because they players especially pitchers will not be in full playing shape yet.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_yegnbe5pin2so
The only dumbass is you.

We have data points for the last twenty years that cheap tickets don't increase revenue. Go look at them for yourself. You don't have to be a genius to do the math, but you're a dumbass. Since you are I'll do the math for you. $5x11,800 is $59,000. That's selling out the building with $5 tickets. Right now we are averaging 4,200 fans with an average ticket price of $30 ( the average price is probably higher). 4,200x30 is 126,000.
So we make twice the revenue now than we would if we sold out the building with $5. Which proves you're an absolute dumbass.

I guess you don't watch baseball or you would understand alternate sites. Does the lockout directly affect minor league baseball no. However an abbreviated spring training because of an 11 hour deal would. They will have to use alternate site squads because they players especially pitchers will not be in full playing shape yet.

Nobody said every seat is going to be $5 dumba$$. We said only a small number of tickets.

We showed you the facts that the average ticket price to a movie isn't $28 and laughed at you.

I showed you the facts that the lockout will not affect Minor League Baseball.

All you do is talk out of you a$$ because you have no clue what you're talking about.

Like I said, I thought Fili was dumb. He is not even close to your level.

And on that note, I'm out of here. Some of you have been great to talk to, but wasting my time talking to dumbass people is not my style. Go Miners!

The only dumbass is you.

I'm certain never in the recent history of the Don Haskins, has every single ticket cost $5. Or even $5 for that matter.

I'm certain never in the recent history of the Don Haskins, has every single ticket cost $5. Or even $5 for that matter.
It's an example to show how lowering ticket prices reduces revenue. I think for NMSU's white out game they sold out tickets were $5 $10 and $15. Even in that scenario we're making more money than they are with 4,200 in the building. Big crowds look impressive but when you have to you have to cut prices to get there it's all smoke and mirrors. You're losing revenue. In d1 it's all about revenue not attendance.

It's an example to show how lowering ticket prices reduces revenue. I think for NMSU's white out game they sold out tickets were $5 $10 and $15. Even in that scenario we're making more money than they are with 4,200 in the building. Big crowds look impressive but when you have to you have to cut prices to get there it's all smoke and mirrors. You're losing revenue. In d1 it's all about revenue not attendance.
It isn't all about $$$. Especially when the difference is negligible. Creating an atmosphere that makes it tough for opponents to go into and win is important. Once the wins start happening with consistency, then maybe incrementally raise ticket prices. There should still be sections with "affordable" tickets. The expensive seats need to come down as they are as high as the heavens. Even the mid level priced tix are too expensive for the value people feel they get from a game at this time. If you're good with a ceiling of 4200 fans, I don't know what to say.

EP's median household income is 15K lower than the Texas average. It is almost 17K lower than the national average. EP is not a city without sports fans, however it is a city with limited income to spend on entertainment.

It isn't all about $$$. Especially when the difference is negligible. Creating an atmosphere that makes it tough for opponents to go into and win is important. Once the wins start happening with consistency, then maybe incrementally raise ticket prices. There should still be sections with "affordable" tickets. The expensive seats need to come down as they are as high as the heavens. Even the mid level priced tix are too expensive for the value people feel they get from a game at this time. If you're good with a ceiling of 4200 fans, I don't know what to say.

EP's median household income is 15K lower than the Texas average. It is almost 17K lower than the national average. EP is not a city without sports fans, however it is a city with limited income to spend on entertainment.
There are also very limited entertainment options competing for those limited $.

And on that note, I'm out of here. Some of you have been great to talk to, but wasting my time talking to dumbass people is not my style. Go Miners!

well-bye.gif

Reactions: Cube Jack
There are also very limited entertainment options competing for those limited $.
True. However, when you can take your kids bowling, to a movie (with a snack), Top Golf or to Western Playland for about the same price...a Miner game seems kind of costly.

Or, if you're adult, $16 will get you 3-4 drinks during happy hour, depending on where you go, a month of Netflix..

True. However, when you can take your kids bowling, to a movie (with a snack), Top Golf or to Western Playland for about the same price...a Miner game seems kind of costly.
You’re talking about attracting the casual fan. How many games would they attend? 1 or 2 maybe?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
You’re talking about attracting the casual fan. How many games would they attend? 1 or 2 maybe?
Most people who are beyond being just a casual fan already attend games. So, yeah, I'm talking about the casual fan.

How many games they'd attend depends on how much the team is winning and ticket price, I believe. When winning, far more casual fans are interested...on the bandwagon. When tickets are "more" affordable, more bandwagon fans will attend to see the Miners win.

Pretty much everyone starts off as a casual fan. Winning and a great atmosphere create a fun experience. Golding is working on the wins. The more full the Don is, the better the vibe, the more life long fans are "born".

The Movie Theater, The Chihuahuas, The Locomotives, are businesses that Price their tickets to make Profits.

UTEP is a Public School that gets tax revenue, tuition and fees.

Ticket prices at UTEP is basically a fundraiser.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The Movie Theater, The Chihuahuas, The Locomotives, are businesses that Price their tickets to make Profits.

UTEP is a Public School that gets tax revenue, tuition and fees.

Ticket prices at UTEP is basically a fundraiser.
In the state of Texas you can't use state money for athletics. You can in some states like New Mexico but not Texas.

You can charge a student fee for athletics. We charge one but it's the smallest among the states fbs schools. Any hike in the athletic fee has to be approved by the students. It's been tried a few times through the years and failed miserably. AOC has a better chance being elected the governor of Oklahoma than we have that the students will approve a fee hike.

That's why revenue via ticket sales and corporate sponsors are so much more important at UTEP than other schools.

Last edited:

Good stuff. I'm certainly not happy with 4,200 but unlike the past we have a talented team and coach to market. I'm sure UTEP doesn't but it would help if someone in the marketing department had disposable income broken down by zip code. That would allow them micro target groups that would be much more likely to buy tickets.

Good stuff. I'm certainly not happy with 4,200 but unlike the past we have a talented team and coach to market. I'm sure UTEP doesn't but it would help if someone in the marketing department had disposable income broken down by zip code. That would allow them micro target groups that would be much more likely to buy tickets.
Also if the prices are going to be so high there MUST be assigned seating. If not then UTEP needs to come up with a plan to fill the lower bowl first. Moving the band back, combining the student section behind the basket on opponents side and having some GA sections or 1st come first serve games would be nice.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
In the state of Texas you can't use state money for athletics. You can in some states like New Mexico but not Texas.

You can charge a student fee for athletics. We charge one but it's the smallest among the states fbs schools. Any hike in the athletic fee has to be approved by the students. It's been tried a few times through the years and failed miserably. AOC has a better chance being elected the governor of Oklahoma than we have that the students will approve a fee hike.

That's why revenue via ticket sales and corporate are so much more important at UTEP than other schools.

True. But my point being that UTEP athletics is still under that not for profit model. They're not going to fail or leave town for a new market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT