ADVERTISEMENT

OT Favorite Encounters With An Athlete/Musician/Actor

Autograph Boy

MI Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2019
Since there is not much going on with UTEP and the political threads are a waste of time, I figured it's time to start some new OT threads.

It's hard for me to choose, so here are my Top 3 off the top of my head:

Jerry Seinfeld- I met him four different times and he was nice every time. He is one of the greatest comedians of all time and always has time for fans after the show. I first met Jerry in 2006 and I never really watched "Seinfeld" before and I have been hooked ever since!

Steve Martin- I met Steve Martin last year before his show. He was performing with Martin Short (met him as well). I am a fan of Steve's movies and he's just a great comedian. Steve and Martin put on a great show and I was laughing the whole time!

Tony Bennett- Tony is one of the legends and I knew when he was here in El Paso last year that it was probably going to be his last time performing in El Paso. It as such a joy to see him live and I can't believe he was 92 when I saw him!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I'm interested in the ones that you met that were the least memorable as well. You hear the stories of how Ellen Degeneres is portrayed as this great person in the media, yet every person that works with her can't stand her, and says she is a horrible person.

I told you my story of Marshall Faulk. Do you have any that stand out the opposite way?

One that comes to mind is Peter Frampton. A few of us were waiting after the concert and we were right by the stage door. We ask him for an autograph, he looks at us, and starts running. We didn't run after him and instead walked to our car. As we were walking to our car we saw a few people crowded around somebody and saw that they fell. It was Peter Frampton! The manager comes to us and told us it was all our fault that we chased him. We told him we didn't do that and the manager kept getting irate. We just left and it wasn't worth our time to keep arguing. I have heard similar stories from others who said Peter Frampton is a jerk.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Jerry Seinfeld most overrated comedian. Great sitcom but his stand up not so funny.

Jerry Seinfeld most overrated comedian. Great sitcom but his stand up not so funny.

I haven’t seen much of his stand up but he’s not my cup of tea. How much credit do you give Larry David for the success of Seinfeld, because Curb Your Enthusiasm is great.

I haven’t seen much of his stand up but he’s not my cup of tea. How much credit do you give Larry David for the success of Seinfeld, because Curb Your Enthusiasm is great.

i never seen Seinfeld stand up,just going by from the stand up from the show. I never thought it was funny.

i never seen Seinfeld stand up,just going by from the stand up from the show. I never thought it was funny.

That's fair. I liked it because it's just observations about other people. He doesn't need to talk about sex or curse to be funny.

I think both shows are great. Larry definitely had a lot to do with the show's success.

If Jerry was a comic today and he tried to pitch the show today I don't think it would get picked up.

I think both shows are great. Larry definitely had a lot to do with the show's success.

If Jerry was a comic today and he tried to pitch the show today I don't think it would get picked up.

Right now they are in Hollywood burning the masters as we speak. We will never see his show again.

That's fair. I liked it because it's just observations about other people. He doesn't need to talk about sex or curse to be funny.

There are very few comedians that are good being clean. Sinbad was one, and Seinfeld is another.

Seinfeld stopped going to college campuses because everybody was always offended. Unfortunately comedy is becoming very boring due to that.

There are very few comedians that are good being clean. Sinbad was one, and Seinfeld is another.

Jim Gaffigan and Jeff Foxworthy are other clean comics.

I rarely go to comedy shows anymore because it seems like every comedian wants to talk about politics. It's easy to joke about politics and sex.

Jim Gaffigan and Jeff Foxworthy are other clean comics.

I rarely go to comedy shows anymore because it seems like every comedian wants to talk about politics. It's easy to joke about politics and sex.

And that is one thing Seinfeld refuses to do, even when baited over and over. He won't even speak about it.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
LOL, I was talking about Curb. That show is dead in the water.

lol I thought they were trying to cancel Jerry because people were posting about him dating a 17 year old when he was 38 (which is legal in New York).

There's another comedian named Chris D'Elia who is being accused of being a pedophile because he talked to girls who were 18 when he was 30. That's probably creepy, but that's not acting like a pedophile. And now some girls admitted they lied about their age and said they were 16 and 17. And they supposedly held onto those messages for 10 years. Twitter is crazy!

LOL, I was talking about Curb. That show is dead in the water.

I don’t think so. HBO loves Larry David. HBO Max needs original content.

“The deal with Larry is that he tells us when he is ready to go. If he tells us he wants to do more, we'll do more."

That was in March. The climate has changed somewhat but season 10 came and went without much protest. Larry thankfully gets a pass from most cancel culture groups.

I sat next to Billy Joel on a Southwest flight from Austin to Houston in 1978. He just finished a concert in Austin and was going to Houston. We talked for about 5 minutes and then he fell asleep.

Cool! That would never happen nowadays since a lot of the big name musicians fly private.

Since there is not much going on with UTEP and the political threads are a waste of time, I figured it's time to start some new OT threads.

It's hard for me to choose, so here are my Top 3 off the top of my head:

Jerry Seinfeld- I met him four different times and he was nice every time. He is one of the greatest comedians of all time and always has time for fans after the show. I first met Jerry in 2006 and I never really watched "Seinfeld" before and I have been hooked ever since!

Steve Martin- I met Steve Martin last year before his show. He was performing with Martin Short (met him as well). I am a fan of Steve's movies and he's just a great comedian. Steve and Martin put on a great show and I was laughing the whole time!

Tony Bennett- Tony is one of the legends and I knew when he was here in El Paso last year that it was probably going to be his last time performing in El Paso. It as such a joy to see him live and I can't believe he was 92 when I saw him!

stalker

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
In San Antonio, it’s unwritten law thou shall not bother Timothy Theodore Duncan. Dude will ignore you and/or give you some double birds!

Surprisingly Kawhi was approachable prior to board man get paid. Dude would make 3am taco truck runs!

My story is Ricky Henderson on a plane from Phoenix to Oakland. I sat in the aisle, middle seat open, Ricky at the Window. Across the aisle was my wife, my newborn baby who was only 4 months and Mother. (The reason I was traveling with a newborn is my sister lives in Oakland)

On our way to a Raider game. Plane takes off and Ricky said "hey what's up man." I turned and said "how you doing?" He was on his cell phone talking in flight. Anyway, dont say a word the entire flight. We land, I said, 'Can I get a picture of you and my newborn?' He said 'yeah.' Took the pic and Ricky said 'I owe you one.' I dont know why he owed me anything.

Get to the luggage carousel. Ricky had like 8 suitcases and a Trunk. And I helped load it all into a Suburban.

I still have the picture of him and my son in a frame. This was right after 911 and my oldest son is class of 2020.

My story is Ricky Henderson on a plane from Phoenix to Oakland. I sat in the aisle, middle seat open, Ricky at the Window. Across the aisle was my wife, my newborn baby who was only 4 months and Mother. (The reason I was traveling with a newborn is my sister lives in Oakland)

On our way to a Raider game. Plane takes off and Ricky said "hey what's up man." I turned and said "how you doing?" He was on his cell phone talking in flight. Anyway, dont say a word the entire flight. We land, I said, 'Can I get a picture of you and my newborn?' He said 'yeah.' Took the pic and Ricky said 'I owe you one.' I dont know why he owed me anything.

Get to the luggage carousel. Ricky had like 8 suitcases and a Trunk. And I helped load it all into a Suburban.

I still have the picture of him and my son in a frame. This was right after 911 and my oldest son is class of 2020.

Cool story! So Rickey didn't talk in the third person to you? haha

I met him in 2005 in Arizona when he was playing for the San Diego Surf Dawgs. He wouldn't sign any MLB items. I was lucky enough to get the lineup card and had him sign that and a Golden League baseball.

I never met them, but LeBron James and Kevin Garnett are two of the biggest jerks and have heard so many horror experiences about them.

Overall, baseball players are the best signers and they have the most legible autographs.

The NBA is probably the worst when it comes to fan interactions. There are some nice players, but most players just don't like meeting fans.

I never met them, but LeBron James and Kevin Garnett are two of the biggest jerks and have heard so many horror experiences about them.

Overall, baseball players are the best signers and they have the most legible autographs.

The NBA is probably the worst when it comes to fan interactions. There are some nice players, but most players just don't like meeting fans.

I wonder how many athletes and celebrities are turned off by autograph hounds. I’ve seen where people want athletes/celebrities to sign stacks of crap, and it’s so obvious they’re going to turn around and sell the memorabilia. The one guy I’ve met that was kind of a jerk was Michael Irvin. If you have a piece of memorabilia you want signed by The Triplets, make sure you get his autograph first because he will charge you more if the other two have signed and you need him to complete the set. I had a football helmet signed by over 15 Cowboys players and he tried to tell charge me more because Aikman and Emmitt signed it.

I wonder how many athletes and celebrities are turned off by autograph hounds. I’ve seen where people want athletes/celebrities to sign stacks of crap, and it’s so obvious they’re going to turn around and sell the memorabilia. The one guy I’ve met that was kind of a jerk was Michael Irvin. If you have a piece of memorabilia you want signed by The Triplets, make sure you get his autograph first because he will charge you more. I had a football helmet signed by over 15 Cowboys players and he tried to tell charge me more because Aikman and Emmitt signed it as well.

I mainly do AAA baseball and most are great about signing.

The people who ruin it for others are the people who chase athletes and celebrities everywhere. That's really the main reasons they get turned off. Most of my experiences have been great because I'm respectful and say please and thank you.

There are a number of athletes and celebrities that will sign anything and everything and are happy to do it.

I mainly do AAA baseball and most are great about signing.

The people who ruin it for others are the people who chase athletes and celebrities everywhere. That's really the main reasons they get turned off. Most of my experiences have been great because I'm respectful and say please and thank you.

There are a number of athletes and celebrities that will sign anything and everything and are happy to do it.

I have no intention of selling my memorabilia, it’s not like I have a ton anyways but when I get a chance I have asked people to personalize the item they’re signing.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I don’t think too many celebrities will be signing autographs and posing for selfies anymore. Maybe once there’s a vaccine. Who is going to risk hugging someone or carrying their own pen with them?

Michael Jordan and Kobe as well, heard were jerks.

Michael Jordan and Kobe as well, heard were jerks.

I’m sure it’s tough being that level of famous. You step out the front door people are probably hounding you nonstop, regardless of whether or not you’re with your family. And I’m sure as someone who is concerned about their brand like a Jordan you can’t sit there and sign everything for everybody. First off you’d never finish and second people will be flooding the market with your items.

Reactions: kickballpro
"What's the deal with FiliUTEP? What. Is. The. Deal?"

He said that he had never seen him in person, only his stand up on the show. Kind of denigrates your opinion if you have actually never seen him in person. But in Fili's defense, it is kind of the same, so it just may not be his cup of tea, which is fair.

Has anyone seen his Netflix show? 23 hours to Kill. I liked Comedians in cars getting coffee as it seemed to be unscripted. Actually heard that Curb Your Enthusiasm from Ted Danson (another super nice guy in person), that it is totally unscripted.

I’m sure it’s tough being that level of famous. You step out the front door people are probably hounding you nonstop, regardless of whether or not you’re with your family. And I’m sure as someone who is concerned about their brand like a Jordan you can’t sit there and sign everything for everybody. First off you’d never finish and second people will be flooding the market with your items.

Dirk was very nice and always signed. Mike Trout signs a lot too.

If you watch the The Last Dance you can tell he's a jerk.

Dirk was very nice and always signed. Mike Trout signs a lot too.

If you watch the The Last Dance you can tell he's a jerk.

Dirk was on the show Punk'd and it was set up by Michael Finley. And the premise of the prank is that Finley said Dirk signs everything and is super nice. So they get a little boy to get Dirk to sign something. And the. A few minutes later, the boy comes back and had another item, then he does it again and again. And Finley is telling him, you have to tell him no. The boy ends up bringing a box of Mavericks items. Finley convinces Dirk to say no. And the boy cries, the waiter jumps in, the kids dad....ended being pretty funny.

Auto Boy, you're so much into this. Why don't you have them sign a screen protector and then troll your friends and show them a different, random item every so often and tell them look what I got signed this time. You'd be like the head of the Autograph Boy Club... You can name your organization ABC

Dirk was on the show Punk'd and it was set up by Michael Finley. And the premise of the prank is that Finley said Dirk signs everything and is super nice. So they get a little boy to get Dirk to sign something. And the. A few minutes later, the boy comes back and had another item, then he does it again and again. And Finley is telling him, you have to tell him no. The boy ends up bringing a box of Mavericks items. Finley convinces Dirk to say no. And the boy cries, the waiter jumps in, the kids dad....ended being pretty funny.

haha! I will have to find that episode. Dirk would even sign if you wrote him a letter through the mail. It's too bad more players don't take after Dirk!

Has anyone seen his Netflix show? 23 hours to Kill. I liked Comedians in cars getting coffee as it seemed to be unscripted. Actually heard that Curb Your Enthusiasm from Ted Danson (another super nice guy in person), that it is totally unscripted.

Haven't had a chance to see 23 Hours to Hill. Have you watched it?

I met Ted when he was in El Paso supporting Bill Clinton. He was nice and signed for everybody.

It is unscripted. That's what makes the show so funny!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT