ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HS Football

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
Do any of you keep up with hs football. I don’t know much but except what I read in the newspaper. I do like to check the scores every Friday and kind of have an idea of what’s going on. I saw that the new hs Pebble Hills beat Midland High tonight. Is that still considered a good quality win? Back when I was in HS over a decade ago those W’s against the Midland/Odessa teams were very rare. We might be seeing more from the Midland qb in the El Paso area since he’s a UTSA commit.

Over the last four to five years El Paso HS football teams have beaten teams from Midland, Odessa and Lubbock on a regular basis. The days on getting dominated by the Permian Basin schools are gone. I think this is a combination of El Paso HS football getting better and those other schools regressing. The problem El Paso schools are facing now are HS programs from the DFW. I think Pebble Hills HS is the best team in the city. Parkland HS has the best all around D1 talent in the city.

Saw El Paso Chapin play last week. Some intriguing college prospects but, overall, came away lukewarm on the level of commitment, intensity and in-game coaching. Chapin twice gave up leads in the second half to lose to Midland Christian, 20-16.

Will be at the El Paso Americas vs. Midland Christian game this afternoon. A sophomore RB from Americas rushed for 377 yards last week. Which would be a good month for most backs. If he keeps doing that, we will ALL know his name.

That written, the day of Permian Basin dominance over El Paso teams is long gone. In the main, Sun City programs are on the rise. As a Miner forever, I would like to think this upward trajectory is due, at least in part, to the fact many El Paso teams are staffed by UTEP grads.

Over the last four to five years El Paso HS football teams have beaten teams from Midland, Odessa and Lubbock on a regular basis. The days on getting dominated by the Permian Basin schools are gone. I think this is a combination of El Paso HS football getting better and those other schools regressing. The problem El Paso schools are facing now are HS programs from the DFW. I think Pebble Hills HS is the best team in the city. Parkland HS has the best all around D1 talent in the city.
I wouldn't say on a regular basis, but as HeWore stated, their years of dominance over El Paso schools appears to be in the rear view mirror. Permian soundly defeated Franklin last year 42-17 and Franklin is an El Paso Top 5 program for high school football. Franklin is @ Permian tonight. Go Franklin!

You are going to see good performance from some of the newer high schools from the more newer developed neighborhoods in El Paso because it is largely related to Fort Bliss. Army families relocating to Fort Bliss generally tend to be attracted to the new developments and with the massive BRAC the last few short years, Bliss is huge (but not in Army top 5) which brings families from all over the country which brings in a larger talent pool. You'll see it in other high school sports too.

Yes Pebble Hills played their 1st Varsity season last year and rolled through everybody until running into Montwood. This year they should win 6-5A, even after graduating 40 seniors. El Dorado has fallen off badly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT