ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Local Artists

TxRdKiller

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
Who are your favorite local El Paso artists? Any one artist in particular stand out for you? Do you own any original works from these artists?

I'm interested in works highlighting the local El Paso history and culture and am interested in learning more about El Paso artists and their works.

Tom Lea would be an important one.

From the same family we had Tom Moore who worked for Archie Comics and his niece Ann James Massey, although I'm not sure that their work centers so much on El Paso history and culture. (The latter's work focuses more on Paris.)

Last edited:
oh you mean ART. I thought you were asking about local music artist???

Jose Cisneros: illustrator and artist in Dr. Timmons book El Paso: A Borderlands History is my choice local artist.
Cisneros illustrates his vision of the indigenous, Hispano, Mexican & Anglo culture that has passed through & lived on border for centuries. I like his simple, clean yet detailed illustrations in Dr. Timmons' book on El Paso. Google has other images that are reflective of his certain flavor of the desert Southwest. Though not born in El Paso, he is definitely part of El Paso.

Who are your favorite local El Paso artists? Any one artist in particular stand out for you? Do you own any original works from these artists?

I'm interested in works highlighting the local El Paso history and culture and am interested in learning more about El Paso artists and their works.
Isn’t your son an art major?

Isn’t your son an art major?

Nope. My son graduated UTSA with a Computer Science degree.

I appreciate the suggestions so far. I'm familiar with Hal Marcus and love his work. And he has a few Tom Lea works available which is pretty awesome.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about Jose Cisneros and will research his work.

Keep 'em coming, folks. I'm certain there are other fantastic artists in and around El Paso. And of course, outside of EP, Hispanic artists are all over the place and creating incredible works of art.

Nope. My son graduated UTSA with a Computer Science degree.

I appreciate the suggestions so far. I'm familiar with Hal Marcus and love his work. And he has a few Tom Lea works available which is pretty awesome.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about Jose Cisneros and will research his work.

Keep 'em coming, folks. I'm certain there are other fantastic artists in and around El Paso. And of course, outside of EP, Hispanic artists are all over the place and creating incredible works of art.
Howdy Road Kill,
I am an artist. Moved to Dallas from EP in '77, but most of my work is from EP and the area including Big Bend and Ruidoso. If someone can explain to me how to attach an image to a post, I'd be happy to show you some or give me your email address.

Howdy Road Kill,
I am an artist. Moved to Dallas from EP in '77, but most of my work is from EP and the area including Big Bend and Ruidoso. If someone can explain to me how to attach an image to a post, I'd be happy to show you some or give me your email address.

Hey, that's awesome, M1L. TxRdKiller at yahoo.com. I look forward to checking out your work.

Ivan Pierre Aguirre dominates photography scene. It’s crazy seeing him photograph Miner games, and now his photos pop up in the New York Times or WaPo.

On the eccentric millennial side, EP Goon is next level.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Ivan Pierre Aguirre dominates photography scene. It’s crazy seeing him photograph Miner games, and now his photos pop up in the New York Times or WaPo.

On the eccentric millennial side, EP Goon is next level.

Ivan is a very talented photog. I'm not familiar with EP Goon, is this a moniker on Twitter or something?

Gaspar Enriquez is a Chicano artist from El Paso. His art depicts El Paso’s Chicano culture. Felipe Adame is another local artist. Many of his murals are located in El Paso’s Segundo Barrio.

Not sure what type of art your looking for but I like

epgoon: whos specialty is Photoshop and videos that feature El Paso in most of his work

artwork by Finch: hes a painter who is heavily influenced with the borderland. I believe he just had a small show or something. Isn't known on the scale of Hal Marcus but I like his work myself.

lx_1984: does alot of street art, graffiti, stickers, but also paints. His art is featured in many restaurants and clubs around the city.

I don't know much about "art" honestly, I guess I like more of the "underground" artist, but just thought I'd mention those names since I enjoy their art and representation of El Paso. There are also plenty of awesome photographers I follow on Instagram.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller

develman, thanks for posting that link. That is some incredible street art and it is just as fantastic -- if not more so -- than any street art I've seen (and some photographed) in Paris, Berlin, and other European cities I've visited. I got a very -- very -- small taste of it last time I was home but absolutely plan to spend more time exploring it next time.

Thank you sincerely as I have not had an opportunity to see very much of the local street art and I truly look forward to exploring and photographing as much of it as I can.

Reactions: develman
So I've purchased a few works from Hal Marcus. Super nice guy. Known about him pretty much my adult life (being a native El Paso myself) but very glad to have an opportunity not only to meet him but also to get to know a little about him and his family. The works I've purchased are not only his own but a few from other artists as well.

My target art continues to be "El Paso" and "Chicano" art. And by that I mean art by El Paso artists, art about El Paso / Mexican culture, and art by or about Chicanos / Chicano culture. Many thanks to all who have participated in this thread especially those who are artists themselves (looking at you, miner1liner).

Among younger artists, I like

Los dos
Zeke Peña
Jesus "Cemi" Alvarado

Someone else in that is popular but not my style is patrick Gabaldón

So I've purchased a few works from Hal Marcus. Super nice guy. Known about him pretty much my adult life (being a native El Paso myself) but very glad to have an opportunity not only to meet him but also to get to know a little about him and his family. The works I've purchased are not only his own but a few from other artists as well.

My target art continues to be "El Paso" and "Chicano" art. And by that I mean art by El Paso artists, art about El Paso / Mexican culture, and art by or about Chicanos / Chicano culture. Many thanks to all who have participated in this thread especially those who are artists themselves (looking at you, miner1liner).

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Art?

Remember the movie "Airplane"? The chaotic scene where a young lady runs in the camera shot topless shaking what God gave her. She was from El Paso. I'm dead serious, look it up.

What?! You asked for local artists.:p

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Art?

Remember the movie "Airplane"? The chaotic scene where a young lady runs in the camera shot topless shaking what God gave her. She was from El Paso. I'm dead serious, look it up.

What?! You asked for local artists.:p
Kitten Natividad was actually from J-town.

So I thought I'd share a photo of a couple of paintings of "Chicano" art I purchased recently to focus on something more humane than Tяump and his hatred of Mexicans and Muslims and even our very democracy. I tweeted recently that I long for the day when I can wake up and NOT have my first thought be "What has this asshole done overnight that might cost me my job or get us all killed."

These are titled "Day Of The Dead Zoot Suit #2" and "#4" by artist Carlos Callejo. I purchased them from Hal Marcus a few months ago and had them reframed and hung them in my game room. They are fantastic addition to my home and I love going upstairs and just seeing them up there appearing as if they are festive and dancing and celebrating life itself despite representing el Dia de los Muertos.

[Edit:] I should add that these are pastels on charcoal paper. Just beautiful works by Carlos. Go see Hal. He has works by many other artists including his own. Support local art and local artists. I haven't lived in EP since 1981 but always try to support my hometown in any way I can.

48739500953_06d29ed176_b.jpg

Last edited:
Something a little different. I found the beauty and love of the memorial items left at the Walmart shooting site to be a form of art in itself. #EPStrong

48881907303_c468b14976_b.jpg

48881907093_c9ee7f2341_b.jpg

48881907268_c838f5c838_b.jpg

Reactions: topminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT