ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

I kind of came to grips with the fact that he was probably leaving. This will hurt. I really hope KK stays. Maybe this is what the Newton brothers need to see before hitting the portal. We could really use them. Golding has his work cut out for him now.
I had come to grips with it too...until unihorn came out with what he heard about Boum staying.

Boum is going over sea's...
ugh-damnit.gif

Go get your money Boum and hopefully the City will name a street after you like the other Tierra Del Este streets in far east El Paso named after UTEP greats.

Micheal Durr transferring from Indiana due to lack of playing time. 7 footer who played 3 years at USF averaging around 9/8/1. He was previously recruited to UTEP by CTF I believe.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Lathon couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Worst shooter ever
His shooting numbers as a freshman were not bad, averaging double figures and shooting 35% from three (anything over 33% is good). His shooting really regressed as a sophomore, and we know there was infighting between him and Hawkins, which I speculate hurt his confidence.

Ryan Young, grad transfer from Northwestern, entered the portal. He's a crafty scorer who, maddeningly, was wasted by Chris Collins (go to the Northwestern board and you'll see post after post of frustration that Collins would not start him). Averaged 9 points at 17 minutes per game.

Big Ten experience. He'd definitely fill a need for us next season.

Reactions: axingfools1
The "former Miners in the Portal" tour continues with Jesse Zarzuela, who is now in the portal from Coppin State. Zarzuela spent a couple of summer weeks in El Paso under Terry. Pretty good scoring guard.

Last edited:
The "former Miners in the Portal" tour continues with Jesse Zarzuela, who is now in the portal from Coppin State. Zarzuela spent a couple of summet weeks in El Paso under Terry. Pretty good scoring guard.
I caught a few games of his. Definitely not afraid to go into the jungle of trees and goes to the rim hard.

Better for him to stick to the drive and mid range game. About like Agnew from 3.

Huh...I thought his reputation coming out of HS was a deep threat? Either I'm mis-remembering or his skillset changed once he started facing college competition.

Huh...I thought his reputation coming out of HS was a deep threat? Either I'm mis-remembering or his skillset changed once he started facing college competition.
Possibly changed. Shoots just under or right at 30% from 3. Not terrible but not particularly efficient either.

Still no word on the Newton brothers, but with JB leaving I think the door is wide open. Coach Golding just needs to make the right moves and make room for both brothers. I'm hoping that there could be an NIL deal as well with AJ being their cousin and them being from EP. It's a perfect set up. Also I didn't realize that Tristan still has 2 years so this could be a total coup and hopefully put UTEP back on the map (and in the NCAA) over the next 2 seasons. It could also really help Golding recruit an impact big also. Together with our remaining backcourt, TV and our young wings/Z I think UTEP would VERY formidable.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Still no word on the Newton brothers, but with JB leaving I think the door is wide open. Coach Golding just needs to make the right moves and make room for both brothers. I'm hoping that there could be an NIL deal as well with AJ being their cousin and them being from EP. It's a perfect set up. Also I didn't realize that Tristan still has 2 years so this could be a total coup and hopefully put UTEP back on the map (and in the NCAA) over the next 2 seasons. It could also really help Golding recruit an impact big also. Together with our remaining backcourt, TV and our young wings/Z I think UTEP would VERY formidable.
Depends partially on how enamored with big brand names like Ohio State Tristen is and how much he might be influenced by the local sports writer.

Reactions: Rot and denverutep
Depends partially on how enamored with big brand names like Ohio State Tristen is and how much he might be influenced by the local sports writer.
Yeah who knows, but I think it all sets up well here and would be a huge boost to the program. Watching PGs come out of a school like Murray State and do well in the pros doesn't hurt either. That should be a feasible goal for Senter and Golding given our late history and fan base waiting for something big.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT