ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Next has got to be White. Both of his buddy's from HS are gone and he gets little playing time.

Next has got to be White. Both of his buddy's from HS are gone and he gets little playing time.
Yep. With the Hamilton commit, the writing was on the wall for Maring. Frankly. I'm not sure if that is a net gain losing Maring from a few of the videos I have seen on Hamilton, but we shall see. I have a tough time envisioning Hamilton being mobile enough to fit in on defense.

Yep. With the Hamilton commit, the writing was on the wall for Maring. Frankly. I'm not sure if that is a net gain losing Maring from a few of the videos I have seen on Hamilton, but we shall see. I have a tough time envisioning Hamilton being mobile enough to fit in on defense.
My thoughts exactly. He jumped at the offer. That's why I don't like 'casting'. Golding needs to sell the team and his coaching and recruit up, regardless of conference. We needed that spot for a big who could make and immediate impact and could help lure a PG (or vice versa).

If Golding somehow lands the Newton brothers then we have to make room for an impact big. There are quite a few hovering around right now that could start on this team right away.

My thoughts exactly. He jumped at the offer. That's why I don't like 'casting'. Golding needs to sell the team and his coaching and recruit up, regardless of conference. We needed that spot for a big who could make and immediate impact and could help lure a PG (or vice versa).

If Golding somehow lands the Newton brothers then we have to make room for an impact big. There are quite a few hovering around right now that could start on this team right away.
I agree. I have no problem with a couple of "project" type big men, but you have to have at least one that is game ready. Even if TV returns, we need more down low. That said, it seems like Golding is mostly focused on guards/forward types.

I think he's just gonna have to D up like a big old oak tree in the middle of the lane.

Reactions: Lil_Train
His name is in the portal. It's on Verbal commits.
In fairness, I asked this question BEFORE I saw it on verbal commits. Verbal commits would be a SOURCE.

Not sure of this move by Maring. Is he planning going to somewhere like UTPB where he can start immediately? Why not stay and develop so you may earn a paycheck overseas in the future? Did Golding suggest he transfer?

Interesting....

In fairness, I asked this question BEFORE I saw it on verbal commits. Verbal commits would be a SOURCE.

Not sure of this move by Maring. Is he planning going to somewhere like UTPB where he can start immediately? Why not stay and develop so you may earn a paycheck overseas in the future? Did Golding suggest he transfer?

Interesting....
At the time there was a starter ahead of him also 2 younger guys ahead of him that play the same position. Maring didn't live up to the bill. Good move by him.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I wonder where along the road of Miner Fandom I lost that optimism you still seem to have.
There's definitely work to be done by Golding. I do like some of the guys they are recruiting, and several look like immediate impact type guys. Sessoms is a guy I really like, but obviously it will be a tough battle to get him. All the schools are recruiting out of the portal, so this is a critical recruiting period, and will continue until late summer. Golding will need to show he can seal the deal on some or these guys.

At the time there was a starter ahead of him also 2 younger guys ahead of him that play the same position. Maring didn't live up to the bill. Good move by him.
Maring was available late out of JC last year for a reason. I thought he showed some nice offensive skills at times, but struggled with the D1 speed and athleticism. Pretty much the same concern I have with Hamilton. The jump from JC to D1 is huge, especially for big men.

Maring didn't have the footwork needed for D1 seemed lost on defense, really needs experience and PT and don't think he would get that here. Good move for him.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You guys are correct on his skillset. However, I don't think he will learn as much getting playing time at Sul Ross compared to busting his ass at UTEP.

Eh...it be what it be. Nice kid. Sorry to see him leave. I wish nothing but HUGE success for him.

On TV, I totally expected him to go. Boum "probably" will go too.
This is going to be interesting....

There's definitely work to be done by Golding. I do like some of the guys they are recruiting, and several look like immediate impact type guys. Sessoms is a guy I really like, but obviously it will be a tough battle to get him. All the schools are recruiting out of the portal, so this is a critical recruiting period, and will continue until late summer. Golding will need to show he can seal the deal on some or these guys.
I'm in the won't believe it or get my hopes up until I see it phase. As far as recruiting goes.

I wonder where along the road of Miner Fandom I lost that optimism you still seem to have.
I thought we mostly agreed that recruiting could be Golding's crutch at this level and that we would give him at least one recruiting cycle to get a better assessment. We can still potentially upgrade at PG, center and depth. This could still potentially fall apart as well. The next month will be crucial.

I thought we mostly agreed that recruiting could be Golding's crutch at this level and that we would give him at least one recruiting cycle to get a better assessment. We can still potentially upgrade at PG, center and depth. This could still potentially fall apart as well. The next month will be crucial.
I still agree with that. He had a team that was missing one piece from being a conference championship contender. He couldn't find it after coming off an NCAAT win but now we're talking about upgrading 3 pieces after coming from a college basketball classic win. I don't see it and hopefully my doom and gloom outlook is just inside my head.

I still agree with that. He had a team that was missing one piece from being a conference championship contender. He couldn't find it after coming off an NCAAT win but now we're talking about upgrading 3 pieces after coming from a college basketball classic win. I don't see it and hopefully my doom and gloom outlook is just inside my head.
Yep I know. Just trying to stay positive and give him the chance we afforded to him. It's funny Corona because this time last year I think you were the one that convinced me to give him a chance (regarding his recruiting capabilities).

I'm in the won't believe it or get my hopes up until I see it phase. As far as recruiting goes.

I agree. And in fairness we've only had one season with Golding. Fairness to both Golding and to us fans. Insufficient data points to plot a graph or anything resembling some type of analysis from which to make assumptions or draw conclusions.

Yep I know. Just trying to stay positive and give him the chance we afforded to him. It's funny Corona because this time last year I think you were the one that convinced me to give him a chance (regarding his recruiting capabilities).

Yup. Mr. Corona went from fanatic to skeptic faster than an Alameda lady of the night changes her panties.

I was confident during last year that Golding would get the impact transfer needed. It didn't happen and now I'm not so sure he will.

Terry is known as a fantastic recruiter and immediately brought in the kind of talent we expected he would.

Golding is known as a good x & o's coach and immediately showed us glimpses of what could have been with Terry's talented transfers.

I think he can get a conference championship contender but it won't be as quick as we think. It will probably take a few recruiting classes with a few hits here and there and mostly misses.

CUSA next season will be much tougher after we shed 3 of the worst teams in the league. It gets a little easier in 23 but will be no where as easy as the Southland levels he competed at ACU with.

My opinion can still be swayed with his final recruiting class at the end of summer.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I was confident during last year that Golding would get the impact transfer needed. It didn't happen and now I'm not so sure he will.

Terry is known as a fantastic recruiter and immediately brought in the kind of talent we expected he would.

Golding is known as a good x & o's coach and immediately showed us glimpses of what could have been with Terry's talented transfers.

I think he can get a conference championship contender but it won't be as quick as we think. It will probably take a few recruiting classes with a few hits here and there and mostly misses.

CUSA next season will be much tougher after we shed 3 of the worst teams in the league. It gets a little easier in 23 but will be no where as easy as the Southland levels he competed at ACU with.

My opinion can still be swayed with his final recruiting class at the end of summer.
Corona, we can’t tell right now until late July maybe August. Players have time to sleep, listen, pray, sleep again until they have to register. That’s the reality of the portal; players have an equalizer, time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT