ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Corona, we can’t tell right now until late July maybe August. Players have time to sleep, listen, pray, sleep again until they have to register. That’s the reality of the portal; players have an equalizer, time.
I keep hearing that he needs a full recruiting cycle but what has he done with it? In 10 days he'll be on the job exactly one year. I don't believe anyone he has signed yet is an upgrade of what we have or had. He's gonna have to do it over the spring/summer. Which is the same amount of time he had last season to bring in the impact/upgrades.

Keep Boum and Kennedy get one of the Newton brothers, get a dominant Big and he'll get an A in my book! Che Evans is much better than many realize and will be a good wing player for us. Sibley will be better too and Golding is still after a Big Time JC guy. So I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Keep Boum and Kennedy get one of the Newton brothers, get a dominant Big and he'll get an A in my book! Che Evans is much better than many realize and will be a good wing player for us. Sibley will be better too and Golding is still after a Big Time JC guy. So I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Both Newton brothers and a more dominant big. That way we trade up for an experienced guard that is a senior (and frees up another spot for 23-24'), a proven PG that could win POY in our league and is only a junior AND lure a true big that can help us immediately and let our young guys grow.

Hopefully the Newton's narrow their teams soon .

Last edited:
How many Che Evans games have you seen?
Like I said we shall see.... I've only seen practice and he looks like one of the most skilled players on the floor besides Boum and Kennedy. He can shoot the midrange, defend and rebound. How will it translate during the game we will see. He also was a 4 star recruit, so he wasn't chop liver coming out of high school!

Some local dealership's or large EP companies and UTEP supporters should be working on deal with Boum and Kennedy to keep them here. Them two alone gives us the best back court in conference USA next year and then build around them. Give them what they want and keep them at UTEP!!!

Reactions: axingfools1
Some local dealership's or large EP companies and UTEP supporters should be working on deal with Boum and Kennedy to keep them here. Them two alone gives us the best back court in conference USA next year and then build around them. Give them what they want and keep them at UTEP!!!
Yep. Throw some billboards in there and some social media highlights/hype videos, etc. UTEP and the community are gonna need to step up now given all the opportunities out there. We have to make these kids feel recognized and relished.

I was confident during last year that Golding would get the impact transfer needed. It didn't happen and now I'm not so sure he will.

Terry is known as a fantastic recruiter and immediately brought in the kind of talent we expected he would.

Golding is known as a good x & o's coach and immediately showed us glimpses of what could have been with Terry's talented transfers.

I think he can get a conference championship contender but it won't be as quick as we think. It will probably take a few recruiting classes with a few hits here and there and mostly misses.

CUSA next season will be much tougher after we shed 3 of the worst teams in the league. It gets a little easier in 23 but will be no where as easy as the Southland levels he competed at ACU with.

My opinion can still be swayed with his final recruiting class at the end of summer.
I am on record as saying that very thing last year at this time. 3 years. Maybe 4.

Yes, I’m aware a turn around can happen over night ala MTSU. Very rare. Very lucky, could happen but not likely. I’m more about a solid foundation and sustainability, rather than capturing lightning in a bottle on occasion…kinda like NMSU in the WAC.

Like I said we shall see.... I've only seen practice and he looks like one of the most skilled players on the floor besides Boum and Kennedy. He can shoot the midrange, defend and rebound. How will it translate during the game we will see. He also was a 4 star recruit, so he wasn't chop liver coming out of high school!
And we were told a number of times before he was eligible to play that Kaden Archie was one of the best players in practice. How well did that work out?

I hope you're right, and he's a stud, but I feel like we play this game every few years.

Nowhere in particular. I’d be rather content with that kind of turnaround with a UTEP team. We had far less of a turnaround in football, yet I found myself enjoying utep fb again.
I wanted to see a similar turnaround to what McCasland did at UNT his first year. From 8 to 20 and CBI champions. We had that same opportunity. To go from 12 to 23 and Basketball Classic champions.

Granted it was year 4, but +21 wins and a CBI runner up is a pretty good year for a building mid major. Does the last part remind you of any UTEP team?
And were this close to beating UAB without their best player to potentially make it to the NCAA tournament (I think they would have beaten LAT). They have some good, young talent with depth. The challenge will be keeping it all together. Kennedy at UAB is another example of turning over a roster with quick improvement. I would like to see the same at UTEP.

Last edited:
Granted it was year 4, but +21 wins and a CBI runner up is a pretty good year for a building mid major. Does the last part remind you of any UTEP team?
If you're referring to Barbee's team it would serve my original point wouldn't it.

Unfortunately, it is all about the money and El Paso doesn't seem to have enough.
There's plenty of money and Utep backers with deep pockets trust me. When I was in EP as an Independent Contractor, you'd be surprised how many business owners are very well off in El Paso. The issue with EP is there's not as large of a Middle class as other cities. However there is Big Money to sponsor these kids with talent to get UTEP to the NCAA like Boum and Kennedy!

If you're referring to Barbee's team it would serve my original point wouldn't it.
Well it led to the next year in which they won CUSA and went dancing. Sorry I thought your point was meant to be derogatory.

Omar Payne. 6'10 240lbs transferring from Illinois were he backed up Cockburn. Foul prone, but a good shot blocker and rebounder. He should be transferring down for playing time. Should be a junior, but not sure of immediate eligibility due to previous transfer from Florida.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He has a decent year last year but got hurt or something was not very good this year and could not move at all
Genu varus (bowlegged) and knee problems. Props for trying hard, but I think he is too much of a risk right now. I would hate to see him on a competing team though.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Unfortunately, it is all about the money and El Paso doesn't seem to have enough.
I’m not buying that. El Paso has 4 billionaires and the state of New Mexico got its first last year. There’s money in this place. What’s missing is a huge middle class, but it is growing.

I’m not buying that. El Paso has 4 billionaires and the state of New Mexico got its first last year. There’s money in this place. What’s missing is a huge middle class, but it is growing.
Yup. It’s growing.

I thought he was more knock kneed than bow legged, from what I remember, no?

Speaking of bow legs and memories, I remember my freshman year playing football and we had a guy with bow legs. During practice one day one of the coaches yells out something along the lines of, "Damn, boy! I can see the entire mountain through those legs!"

There's plenty of money and Utep backers with deep pockets trust me. When I was in EP as an Independent Contractor, you'd be surprised how many business owners are very well off in El Paso. The issue with EP is there's not as large of a Middle class as other cities. However there is Big Money to sponsor these kids with talent to get UTEP to the NCAA like Boum and Kennedy!
I work in real estate and I will match many homes in El Paso with Beverly Hills.

This is not your abuelitas El Paso anymore.

Who are the billionaires??

Reactions: JCorona
I work in real estate and I will match many homes in El Paso with Beverly Hills.

This is not your abuelitas El Paso anymore.
El Paso is 52 times the size of Beverly Hills. Whatever homes you’re “matching” to Beverly Hills are the outliers of the city. Most large cities have a few homes that “match” Beverly Hills.

Reactions: kickballpro
I googled richest people in El Paso . Paul Foster and Zaragoza Family came up. Who are the Zaragoza Family?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT