ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLS/Liga joint league??

You know your soccer 8106. I used to think the same way as you. Impossible for mls to ever be in the top 5. With Austin getting a team I’ve turned into a bit of an mls fan boy. You’re absolutely right. It’s a dream at the moment. Yes I love the idea of mls and liga Mx going to South America. It wouldn’t hurt to leave the gold cup for the copa America either.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I love Mexican league soccer and Chivas is my team and to this day and Bofo Bautista is my favorite player. But I also support Tottenham Hotspur and I know the quality of the product in Europe is light years above what is in Mexico and The US. Every 4 years Mexico fans swear they’re going to make a run in the WC but the reality is they are just good enough to get out of the group stage, and maybe that’s all they’ll ever be. They are what they are. Here’s a clip of ESPN FC talking about a potential merger and they brought up a lot of the same issues that were brought up here.

Reactions: JCorona
I’m telling you this and you can quote me: Combining MLS and Liga MX is like combining C-USA and The Sun Belt. You’re not creating The SEC. Yes we have Los Angeles and New York. But you know what the rest of the world has? London, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Liverpool, Manchester, Milan, Munich and so on. For any league here to compete with the top leagues abroad you would have to get overseas rights and it’s not reasonable to think some English People or Italians or Spanish people are going to stop supporting their league to watch La FC vs Pumas. Do you understand the absurd level of talent MLS would have to attract to watch that? We all love UTEP, and has anyone consistently watched Randy Culpepper play in Europe? That’s the same thing you are asking of the rest of the world.
I agree that I wouldn't watch European basketball, but the European basketball leagues are getting better and better and producing some of the best players in the world. I'm not even sure that European basketball is on U.S. TV though?

The comparison with MLS/Liga MX to CUSA and Sunbelt doesn't make sense to me because 1) teams are not being poached to go overseas to the top leagues and 2) some of the teams have big money and big potential to compete. MLS just needs time to grow in popularity and the capacity to grow younger players in academies and attract star players from other sports that are more popular here. MLS is already getting some prime players in their decline. Soon a big time player will play in the U.S for whatever reason and things may start to change. MLS also needs relegation. I think merging the leagues would build dollars, attract more fans and build the opportunity for potential relegation in the U.S with the USL.

I am NOT saying this will cause North America to all of a sudden compete with Europe or South America, but its a start.

I agree that I wouldn't watch European basketball, but the European basketball leagues are getting better and better and producing some of the best players in the world. I'm not even sure that European basketball is on U.S. TV though?

The comparison with MLS/Liga MX to CUSA and Sunbelt doesn't make sense to me because 1) teams are not being poached to go overseas to the top leagues and 2) some of the teams have big money and big potential to compete. MLS just needs time to grow in popularity and the capacity to grow younger players in academies and attract star players from other sports that are more popular here. MLS is already getting some prime players in their decline. Soon a big time player will play in the U.S for whatever reason and things may start to change. MLS also needs relegation. I think merging the leagues would build dollars, attract more fans and build the opportunity for potential relegation in the U.S with the USL.

I am NOT saying this will cause North America to all of a sudden compete with Europe or South America, but its a start.

A basic problem facing MLS and every team not called Manchester City, Real Madrid and Barcelona will be keeping young/exciting talent to build their league. If MLS were to get players and develop them into gems, bigger, more powerful clubs in Europe will come in and poach them. Chelsea paid 73 million dollars for Pulisic. It also says he signed a 6 year 41,000,000 £ which according to Sporttrac makes him the 29th highest paid player in England. Few teams can turn down that type of offer, and few players will turn down that type of money. You sell a player of his caliber you’ve essentially doubled your revenue and then some. Will MLS ever become powerful enough financially to remove the salary cap so that players can make that type of money and teams can pay insane salaries. When PSG offered 222 € for Neymar they weren’t dumb enough to say no.

Right now some MLS players make as little as 56,000 a year. The highest paid player in MLS makes 5,600,000 a year which is not chump change but certainly not the norm. Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi all makes over 50 million annually with their contracts. World soccer is no joke. They make money comprable to many of the top athletes in The US in other sports and although many aren’t icons here in the US, they’re beyond worshipped around the world.

Last edited:
It’s going to be a long time before MLS players are getting paid like Ronaldo and Messi. With this coronavirus thing, it could have permanent effects on how players are paid and outside of the super elite, don’t expect teams to hand out the contracts they have done in the past.

It’s going to be a long time before MLS players are getting paid like Ronaldo and Messi. With this coronavirus thing, it could have permanent effects on how players are paid and outside of the super elite, don’t expect teams to hand out the contracts they have done in the past.

No is not . U.S has the money to pay they just need the product and super star to come to the U.S. There is no city in the world that compares to Los Angeles or New York City. If Rolando played in L.A or New York he would be a bigger star . U.S can compete with the euroleague. They just need the players to come. Look at the Prince Henry and Meghan they gave up everything to move to America. If L.A or New York had a team that could pay like the European teams the players would come in a heartbeat. This collab with Mexico would give the teams the money to compete financially with Europe .

Reactions: axingfools1
No is not . U.S has the money to pay they just need the product and super star to come to the U.S. There is no city in the world that compares to Los Angeles or New York City. If Rolando played in L.A or New York he would be a bigger star . U.S can compete with the euroleague. They just need the players to come. Look at the Prince Henry and Meghan they gave up everything to move to America. If L.A or New York had a team that could pay like the European teams the players would come in a heartbeat. This collab with Mexico would give the teams the money to compete financially with Europe .

Did you just use Prince Harry and Meghan to justify your idea that The US can compete with Europe in Soccer? Ha ha ha ha! You really don’t understand soccer and the money involved. Just stop sticking to your “USA is número uno” guns. A TV deal WILL NOT make MLS into a superpower because if that was the case EVERYONE would be bullish on MLS. There is A WHOLE WORLD of millionaires/billionaires/celebrities who make shitloads of money and who could care less about The United States. Chinese Cinema doesn’t need US money. There are Bollywood actors who make as much as major Hollywood actors and I guarantee you they could walk almost anywhere in The US without being noticed. There are bands that can tour all over the world, yet they can’t fill an arena in The US and they do just fine. Not everyone thinks they need to be big in The US to be “someone”. Only Americans think that. No foreign MLS player has trascended their star power in The US. Not David Beckham, Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Thierry Henry, David Villa, Zlatan, Jorge Campos, Gio Dos Santos, Kaka. Facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Autograph Boy
You guys can keep thinking everything is fine, but it’s not. When schools like Harvard, Wisconsin, and Arizona are making cuts, it’s not good. Corona, you might be excited for Austin FC, they might not ever play a game. That would have been unthinkable in January.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
If the takeover of Newcastle United goes through, there will be 2 clubs in the EPL owned by Middle Eastern royal families. PSG is owned by the state of Quatar. I don’t care if you have a TV deal to broadcast your games across the Milky Way. You are not competing with that type of cash. The owners of Manchester City own NYFC. Which one do they care about?

Did you just use Prince Harry and Meghan to justify your idea that The US can compete with Europe in Soccer? Ha ha ha ha! You really don’t understand soccer and the money involved. Just stop sticking to your “USA is número uno” guns. A TV deal WILL NOT make MLS into a superpower because if that was the case EVERYONE would be bullish on MLS. There is A WHOLE WORLD of millionaires/billionaires/celebrities who make shitloads of money and who could care less about The United States. Chinese Cinema doesn’t need US money. There are Bollywood actors who make as much as major Hollywood actors and I guarantee you they could walk almost anywhere in The US without being noticed. There are bands that can tour all over the world, yet they can’t fill an arena in The US and they do just fine. Not everyone thinks they need to be big in The US to be “someone”. Only Americans think that. No foreign MLS player has trascended their star power in The US. Not David Beckham, Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Thierry Henry, David Villa, Zlatan, Jorge Campos, Gio Dos Santos, Kaka. Facts.

What's wrong with my Prince Harry comparison??? If Europe was so great why they give up everything to move to America??

Why Manny Pacquiao fight in the U.S.A. why didnt he fight in China or Japan?? Why all the big fights happen in America??

Bollywood doesn't compare to Hollywood.

Why did Shakira give up Spanish to sing in English??

If L.A or New York had the money they would come. I do believe if this did happen they would be able to get better players to come.

What's wrong with my Prince Harry comparison??? If Europe was so great why they give up everything to move to America??

Why Manny Pacquiao fight in the U.S.A. why didnt he fight in China or Japan?? Why all the big fights happen in America??

Bollywood doesn't compare to Hollywood.

Why did Shakira give up Spanish to sing in English??

If L.A or New York had the money they would come. I do believe if this did happen they would be able to get better players to come.

I am done arguing this point with you because this is not happening. You sound like a moron. Ha ha! Quote me: MLS WILL NEVER BE A TOP LEAGUE. I will bet money, I’m so sure it will not happen in the next 5 to ten years. Fact of the matter the league may be in trouble with this shut down. Now if you want to believe in this fairy tale dream that TV rights will make your dream come true then be my guest.

Last edited:
I am done arguing this point with you because this is not happening. You sound like a moron. Ha ha! Quote me: MLS WILL NEVER BE A TOP LEAGUE. I will bet money, I’m so sure it will not happen in the next 5 to ten years. Fact of the matter the league may be in trouble with this shit down. Now if you want to believe in this fairy tale dream that TV rights will make your dream come true then be my guest.

MLS will never be a top league because the US has the NBA, NHL, MLB, and this thing called the NFL. In Spain, LaLiga is all 4 of those sports combined. MLS is decades away from overtaking the NFL, if ever.

It doesn’t mean MLS can’t be successful or a top 10 league in the world, but to ever suggest they could compete for signing the best players in their prime is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as Real Madrid’s basketball team signing Trae Young away from the NBA in the next few years.

I am done arguing this point with you because this is not happening. You sound like a moron. Ha ha! Quote me: MLS WILL NEVER BE A TOP LEAGUE. I will bet money, I’m so sure it will not happen in the next 5 to ten years. Fact of the matter the league may be in trouble with this shit down. Now if you want to believe in this fairy tale dream that TV rights will make your dream come true then be my guest.

If the Liga and MLS join together. I have no doubt that it will compete euroleague . No question about it. It would jump to number 3 in America in sports and maybe to number 2. If there is more money and more coverage. This would get kids from America to start playing. Imagine seeing a Russel Wilson or a Lebron type player playing soccer. This is what America needs to get kids to be playing soccer.

If the Liga and MLS join together. I have no doubt that it will compete euroleague . No question about it. It would jump to number 3 in America in sports and maybe to number 2. If there is more money and more coverage. This would get kids from America to start playing. Imagine seeing a Russel Wilson or a Lebron type player playing soccer. This is what America needs to get kids to be playing soccer.

Stick to playing pick up hoops or giving us rebounding tips.

F*ck no that won’t happen!!! David Beckham coming to MLS from Real Madrid didn’t change a thing in the long run, you think it will happen because The Chicago Fire are playing in a league with Queretaro? A TV deal isn’t going to magically transform this league where the minimum salary is 56k and most teams fly commercially into the number two sport in the country. In today’s world children have access to watch the greatest leagues and the greatest players on an unprecedented level, and Americans still don’t care about soccer. Imagine soccer gets so big that Rucker Park becomes a soccer field. In your dreams. And I’m sure you think The MWC wants us too.

F*ck no that won’t happen!!! David Beckham coming to MLS from Real Madrid didn’t change a thing in the long run, you think it will happen because The Chicago Fire are playing in a league with Queretaro? A TV deal isn’t going to magically transform this league where the minimum salary is 56k and most teams fly commercially into the number two sport in the country. In today’s world children have access to watch the greatest leagues and the greatest players on an unprecedented level, and Americans still don’t care about soccer. Imagine soccer gets so big that Rucker Park becomes a soccer field. In your dreams. And I’m sure you think The MWC wants us too.

David Beckham came at end of his career he was washed up. If MLS started paying like the NBA, NFL and MLB American kids would start playing. There is no question if this happened this would compete with the euroleague. There is more Latinos than Europeans. A real professional soccer team in L.A would be huge. Did you not see the MLS cup in Atlanta?? They drew more people than Falcons, Braves and Falcons.

Reactions: axingfools1
David Beckham came at end of his career he was washed up. If MLS started paying like the NBA, NFL and MLB American kids would start playing. There is no question if this happened this would compete with the euroleague. There is more Latinos than Europeans. A real professional soccer team in L.A would be huge. Did you not see the MLS cup in Atlanta?? They drew more people than Falcons, Braves and Falcons.

So MLS owners should just pay big salaries to big time players and just lose a ton of money?

Atlanta United is very successful for being a young franchise. Let’s wait until they start losing and see how popular they remain. The Falcons, Braves, and Hawks usually suck. So a winning team will probably be more popular in Atlanta. Let’s slow down here, because if you could choose to own 1 team out of those 4, 99 out of 100 would pick the Falcons. You would be the 1 to choose one of the other 3.

The average attendance for a Falcons game is about 70,000. The average attendance for Atlanta United is about 50,000.

Beckham was absolutely not washed up. Yes he was 32 when he came to MLS and by no means was he A spring chicken but he was far from washed up. Plus he was a Galáctico and a global superstar with a Spice Girl for a wife. Plus he went out on loan to AC Milan twice and PSG once so he was obviously still good enough that great clubs in the top 5 leagues wanted him even if it was not on a permanent basis. That signing is still far and away the most significant signing that MLS has made but it did not create this generation of soccer players like many people predicted. And I’ll be honest I thought it could have, but it didn’t.

The Los Angeles Galaxy had some of the biggest names in MLS at one time or another. The Galaxy have had David Beckham, Robbie Keane, Zlatan, Giovani Dos Santos, Jonathan Dos Santos, Jorge Campos, Steven Gerard, Landon Donovan, Chicharito, and Luis Hernandez. LA FC has Carlos Vela right now. Several of those guys were absolutely on their last legs, but guys like Zlatan, Chicharito. Carlos Vela, both Dos Santos brothers, and Landon Donovan were still top level players in regards to age and abilities. Yet at the end of the day none of them created some mass hysteria that changed the course of soccer history in The US.

Case in point: In the 1970s The North American Soccer League had players like Pele, Franz Beckenbauer, Georgio Chinaglia (who came from Lazio at 29 years old), Johan Cruyff (who was 31 and still played professionally for another six years, 2 of which were with AJAX), Gerd Mueller, George Best, and Carlos Alberto. The LA Aztecs even had Rines Michels as head coach. The man who created “Total Football” with Holland and took them to a World Cup Final in 1974 and a UEFA Championship in 1988 and was named the greatest manager of the 20th century by FIFA in 1999. The NASL had star power by the boatload and everything that we wish MLS could be in terms of bringing in star power they had it. Three of those players (Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer) have legitimate claims as to being the top player of their era, and they are arguably in the conversation for greatest of all time. At the height of their popularity they were selling out NFL stadiums. But unless you went to the games and lived in that era nobody really remembers that time in American soccer and further more those guys didn’t create some golden generation of soccer players in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT