ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Mexico do you go? If so where?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Since we talking about Juarez why not share about our other neighbour . Las Cruces is boring nothing to do there. White Sands is cool. I do think New Mexico Mexican food is better than El Paso. I don't what it is but it is great. Where are some good spots to go in New Mexico?

Well, the Hatch chiles have something to do with it. And of course the Chile Festival is something to do in New Mexico. Ski Apache and Taos if you like skiing (even Ski Apache is much better than what you'll find in the snowy Midwest). Chef Lupes in Ruidoso is one of my favorite dives. I guess I just like Ruidoso in general; I wouldn't mind retiring there when I get old.

Last edited:
If you SCUBA dive, the Blue Hole at Santa Rosa is famous, although there are more interesting things to look at in the Great Lakes (shipwrecks) and oceans (critters). But if you're in the Southwest there aren't that many options, especially for deep diving. Famously great visibility (especially for fresh water) and nice temperatures year-round.

Las Cruces restaurants I like:

Thai Delight in Old Mesilla

Ranchway on North Valley (beef flautas)

Rendezvous Cafe

Luna Rosa in Mesilla

Since we talking about Juarez why not share about our other neighbour . Las Cruces is boring nothing to do there. White Sands is cool. I do think New Mexico Mexican food is better than El Paso. I don't what it is but it is great. Where are some good spots to go in New Mexico?

You just lost all credibility when you said New Mexican food was better than El Paso's. Get a rope!

Try St. Clair in La Mesilla for a bit more upscale fare and Peppers on the square.

You just lost all credibility when you said New Mexican food was better than El Paso's. Get a rope!

have you tried the food in New Mexico?im not talking about Las Cruces and south of Nex Mexico i m talking about central new Mexico near santa fe abq and around that area. The enchilada sauces are different there and very good. I would put El paso like #5 in good mexican food. This would be my ranking. 1. Los Angeles 2. San Diego, 3. New Mexico,4. Tucson, 5.El Paso. Thats just my opionion.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Depends on what you like.

If you like camping, the best hot springs I've been too is Jordan Springs, outside Silver City/Mimbres. You have to really work for this one (7-8 mile hike) but to me it's beyond worth it.

Skiing at (take your pick).

Snowmobiling is great fun, which you can find in just about any town there is a ski resort, and then some.

Gambling if that's your thing.

Some of the best hikes I've done are in NM. Williams Lake and Wheeler Peak in Taos are both awesome.

River rafting south of Taos was a blast.

Snow tubing in Cloudcroft...blast. Even for an old guy like me.

There's a lot to do.

EDIT - I just realized you asked for dining spots. I ain't deleting my post though. Lol.

How can anyone leave Chopes off this list? Or the Double Eagle Cafe? La Posta? All on Hwy 28 with La Posta being in Old Mesilla.

I like El Sombrero in Cruces. And Nellies....OMG...And then there is the Owl Cafe in San Antonio NM.

BTW New Mexico mexican food is NOT better than El Paso, just different. You lose a lot when your list begins with LA....

have you tried the food in New Mexico?im not talking about Las Cruces and south of Nex Mexico i m talking about central new Mexico near santa fe abq and around that area. The enchilada sauces are different there and very good. I would put El paso like #5 in good mexican food. This would be my ranking. 1. Los Angeles 2. San Diego, 3. New Mexico,4. Tucson, 5.El Paso. Thats just my opionion.
Wow!!!!! Where are you from? Obviously not EP. Your rankings are all out of whack. There is nowhere that is even a close second to any thing in EP. LA, San Diego, Tucson and northern New Mexico are all make believe...TexMex.

Reactions: kickballpro
Wow!!!!! Where are you from? Obviously not EP. Your rankings are all out of whack. There is nowhere that is even a close second to any thing in EP. LA, San Diego, Tucson and northern New Mexico are all make believe...TexMex.

Northern New Mexico is not TexMex. Even Old Mesilla is not TexMex. Have you tried LaPosta?

Agreed Northern New Mexico is not Tex Mex...Just a poor substitute for what I consider to be authentic growing up in EP. I think La Posts is OK but I prefer Pepper's. I did not say Old Mesilla (natives call it LA Mesilla) was TexMex; in fact I feel it's same as EP.

Reactions: kickballpro
Agreed Northern New Mexico is not Tex Mex...Just a poor substitute for what I consider to be authentic growing up in EP. I think La Posts is OK but I prefer Pepper's. I did not say Old Mesilla (natives call it LA Mesilla) was TexMex; in fact I feel it's same as EP.

Fair enough, I just think there are a lot of overrated El Paso restaurants. I think Avila's and Leo's are very overrated. Casita Linda on Honda Pass is my favorite Mexican Restaurant in El Paso.

Wait guys, have you tried the Mexican food on the NMSU campus? Obvious #1, just like their basketball program. Ha ha.

Have you been outside of El Paso? I've traveled a lit bit around the U.S. I've always thought El paso was the best but I have changed my mind. LA dude southern California is basically Mexico .There is different types of Mexican food out there and very good. It's authentic Mexican food. It's just my opinion. Those are my rankings.

My problem with EP Mexican food is that it all tastes the same. The Mexican food you eat at home is the same Mexican food that you eat at every other restaurant. And I will say the best Mexican food I've ever had was in Mexico City.

On a side note, has anybody else realized how expensive Chico's Tacos has become? I don't go there too often and it seems like the prices go up all the time. They are smart and none of their prices are even numbers so it makes it hard to notice. I went in for two orders, fries, and a drink and it cost more than $9.

Chaco Canyon in Chaco Culture National Site. Awesome, spiritually mystical site. A true archaeological treasure. The Values Caldera: beautiful wilderness.

On a side note, has anybody else realized how expensive Chico's Tacos has become? I don't go there too often and it seems like the prices go up all the time. They are smart and none of their prices are even numbers so it makes it hard to notice. I went in for two orders, fries, and a drink and it cost more than $9.

Sue me, but I just can't eat that shit anymore.

Have you been outside of El Paso? I've traveled a lit bit around the U.S. I've always thought El paso was the best but I have changed my mind. LA dude southern California is basically Mexico .There is different types of Mexican food out there and very good. It's authentic Mexican food. It's just my opinion. Those are my rankings.
Fili old buddy..I've been outside of EP since 1977 and suffering here in Dallas from nothing but all out TexMex. Chili con carne drowning the enchiladas, taco shells out of a box, sopapillas like leather and not included with the entree chiles rellenos are an adventure....They don't have a clue.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Fili old buddy..I've been outside of EP since 1977 and suffering here in Dallas from nothing but all out TexMex. Chili con carne drowning the enchiladas, taco shells out of a box, sopapillas like leather and not included with the entree chiles rellenos are an adventure....They don't have a clue.

That's what I'm saying western states is where the Mexican food is at. Once you start going east from El paso Mexican food gets worse and worse.southern western states is all types of Mexican food. New Mexico it's like You get a mixture of Mexican\Native American. They have fry bread with everything.

Ever notice how New Mexicans look down on El Paso? For instance, when you see NM tourism materials their maps don't even show El Paso. They only begrudgingly mention that's where you have to fly into to get to Las Cruces or anywhere in southern NM.

Reactions: JCorona
I don't go to New Mexico not even to take a dump. When traveling to Las Vegas or the west coast I avoid that sorry excuse of a state at all cost. First I travel to Midland then up to Lubbock and Amarillo. From there I go to Boise City Oklahoma. Then crossover into Colorado. Take all the back roads into Utah. While I'm at I also avoid Arizona. Only crossing over into at the northwest corner around Mesquite Nevada. Boom three and half days later I'm in Las Vegas but at least I didn't step foot in the new part of Mexico.

I don't go to New Mexico not even to take a dump. When traveling to Las Vegas or the west coast I avoid that sorry excuse of a state at all cost. First I travel to Midland then up to Lubbock and Amarillo. From there I go to Boise City Oklahoma. Then crossover into Colorado. Take all the back roads into Utah. While I'm at I also avoid Arizona. Only crossing over into at the northwest corner around Mesquite Nevada. Boom three and half days later I'm in Las Vegas but at least I didn't step foot in the new part of Mexico.

What do you have against Arizona and New Mexico?

I assume you have never attended a UTEP sporting event in Las Cruces or Albuquerque?

I assume you have never attended a UTEP sporting event in Las Cruces or Albuquerque?

Only red-ass aggroids think the Pan-Am Center is anything but a shit hole.

Last edited:

Hell naw! Arizona is alright but with me being Mexican I might get racially profiled by one of Arpaio's sheriffs. Better to be safe. I'm hoping Trump can work out a deal with Mexico where they build the wall for us and we return them New Mexico in exchange.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Hell naw! Arizona is alright but with me being Mexican I might get racially profiled by one of Arpaios sheriff's. Better to be safe. I'm hoping Trump can work out a deal with Mexico where they build the wall for us and we return them New Mexico in exchange.

Better to be safe? What the heck are you talking about?

What do you think is going to happen to you in Arizona? If you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to be worried about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT