ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Well, I was all excited about this thread "the next big thing" and then boom... We're talking about walmarts vs HEBs ...

Anyways, I don't like food king, just my two cents. They do have some good prices on beer, but I've never checked their born on date

Reactions: Cube Jack
Tucson freeway trash is much worse than El Paso. At least we keep the right-of-ways clear of brush. Also, isn't the State in charge of keeping the freeways clean? It's not the City.

Yes, it is TxDOT (Texas Department of Transporation) that maintains the freeways. They aren't "maintaining" them right now because of the major overhaul they are doing to improve the entire freeway system through the City.

Same goes for the major streets such as N Mesa, TxDot is supposed to maintain the medians but has a weird third party contract with the City who "keeps them clean."

I’m very impressed with the great things that are happening at UTEP. President Wilson was a great hire for the university and she is already bringing money and high tech partnerships to the city. She was known for her great contacts in the military and with defense contractors. She is very visible and you can catch her at football and basketball games. She was interacting with the players, students and fans at tonight’s game.

5 Below ain’t no dolla store! Get you a phone case, movie candy, a Toy Story shirt, some phone chargers for $25 before tax!

That really bothers me. Would Lubbock or any other city promote UTEP? The local tv stations also give tons of attention to nmsu. It makes you wonder if you are living in El Paso.

That really bothers me. Would Lubbock or any other city promote UTEP? The local tv stations also give tons of attention to nmsu. It makes you wonder if you are living in El Paso.
Tons of publicity for TT. The El Paso I10 corridor is traveled by millions of people. Even if we put a UTEP billboard in Lubbock it wouldn’t get as much traffic and attention as the Wells Fargo building in El Paso receives.

Reactions: Rot and picks up
Tons of publicity for TT. The El Paso I10 corridor is traveled by millions of people. Even if we put a UTEP billboard in Lubbock it wouldn’t get as much traffic and attention as the Wells Fargo building in El Paso receives.
UTEP lost the fifty year medical school fight and Tech got local politicians on state appropriations to side with them.

The fight is long It's over but I can testify that Dr. De La Rosa is putting in hard work off his own nickle to help migrants and the poor and does not get political, he just gets out there and gets it done. The medical school is in a neighborhood that is now going through a gentrification process. Infrastructure, rehabilitation, refurbishment, etc. "Flippers" are happy on the residential side. Research collaborative opened in east central on Gateway east and that area is popping. So it is what it is and I just hope all border health needs are met.

With that being said, I hope Wilson carries on the research vision and takes UTEP to another level in engineering and geology. El Paso is growing rapidly and the state can't put off needs for this part of Texas.

UTEP needs to reach out so that next year this big Texas Tech logo is not scheduled to be done during our football recruiting weekends, like it was this year. There are 10 months a year when UTEP is not having recruiting weekends. If this Tech logo must be done, then surely it can be scheduled during one of the other 10 months that UTEP isn't bringing in recruits and their families.

Yes, I know we are likely not competing directly against Tech for any individual recruits(although one of our football signee's last year did flip to Tech), but having another team's big logo while bringing in recruits doesn't show the best message for UTEP being important to the city.

Wells Fargo has a 6 figure total marketing package with UTEP, certainly Senter could also ask them to schedule the Texas Tech logo in the months that doesn't match with our biggest football recruiting weekends.

UTEP needs to reach out so that next year this big Texas Tech logo is not scheduled to be done during our football recruiting weekends, like it was this year. There are 10 months a year when UTEP is not having recruiting weekends. If this Tech logo must be done, then surely it can be scheduled during one of the other 10 months that UTEP isn't bringing in recruits and their families.

Yes, I know we are likely not competing directly against Tech for any individual recruits(although one of our football signee's last year did flip to Tech), but having another team's big logo while bringing in recruits doesn't show the best message for UTEP being important to the city.

Wells Fargo has a 6 figure total marketing package with UTEP, certainly Senter could also ask them to schedule the Texas Tech logo in the months that doesn't match with our biggest football recruiting weekends.
Monster Truck show is coming. One time when UTEP can recoup lost earnings; use that money? Just sayin'.

The local TV station's area includes Las Cruces and Juarez.

According to El Paso Inc. construction for Great Wolf Could start this Summer and is aiming for a Fall 2021 Opening. Also they mentioned that Walk-On’s, a sports bar and grill co-founded by Drew Brees May open a location here in EP near the Top Golf area. Stay tuned.

Reactions: axingfools1 and Rot
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/m...-250-full-time-jobs-el-paso-texas/5021245002/

"Altisource Portfolio Solutions S.A.'s U.S. subsidiary has opened a temporary Downtown El Paso office and plans to open its permanent facility April 2 in a 30,000-square-foot building in the Northwest Corporate Center in West El Paso.....“This will be our largest location in the U.S. It will be larger than our Atlanta (U.S.) headquarters. And our goal is for El Paso to be our United States center of excellence. It will be the target location where we grow new business and where we bring our most credible business,” White said."

"Altisource is headquartered in Luxembourg, but has its U.S. headquarters in Atlanta. It provides a host of real estate-related services, including maintaining properties and processing mortgages, White said. It also sells properties via contracted real estate agents and auctions, White said."

Reactions: Rot
That’s terrible news! El Paso desperately needs something this type of entertainment and tourist attraction.

Who knows what the world is going to look like in the next year or two. Who knows if Great Wolf Lodges will recover. How long will it take for people to be comfortable going to a venue like Great Wolf?

How long will it take for people to be comfortable going to a venue like Great Wolf?

It’s not only that. How many peoples livelihoods were changed because of this? If you work in a restaurant, there’s a good chance your extra money will be put away towards savings. Something like this is very likely to happen again. Maybe next year or in 20, but it will happen. Disneyland and Six Flags will probably be safe, but everyone else; they’re definitely not planning upgrades and hiring right now.

It’s not only that. How many peoples livelihoods were changed because of this? If you work in a restaurant, there’s a good chance your extra money will be put away towards savings. Something like this is very likely to happen again. Maybe next year or in 20, but it will happen. Disneyland and Six Flags will probably be safe, but everyone else; they’re definitely not planning upgrades and hiring right now.

I don’t know if companies like Disney or Six Flags are safe from this mess. Yes, Disney has a diverse portfolio but they aren’t releasing any movies right now, and with all their parks and cruise liners closed I can only imagine they’re losing an ungodly amount of money, and depending on how long this lasts it can probably do some real damage. That company has to make an insane amount of money every day from parking, tickets, the hotels, the shops in Downtown Disney, the souvenirs, food, photos and so on. And for all that to be a zero for over a month has to be crushing their bottom line.

Hypothetically speaking if there is no vaccine but there is a treatment option available the parks could open. But would the parks/hotels operate at full capacity? Especially when you have so many people crammed into such a small area, touching the same things such as handrails and seatbelts. Plus with so many people losing their jobs will families be able to shell out the money for a vacation to Disneyland especially at their current rate?

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
I guess since Paul Foster is going to have to start collecting unemployment since he's only worth $1.5 billion. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT