ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Thread

Did the NFL do away with their trade deadline?

Something about Practice Squad Players are eligible to sign to any teams active roster at anytime.

So Veldeer was on the Colts Practice Squad. But this year because of Covid, teams can move players back and forth from the Practice Squad to the active roster. The Colts moved Veldeer to the active roster and he played in the Wild Card Game. After the game he reverted back to the Practice Squad.

Green Bay lost a Lineman due to injury and he was placed on IR. So with a roster spot available they are allowed to replace him with a Free Agent or pluck a player from another teams Practice Squad. They picked Veldeer.

That is why the NFL is becoming a soft league. This guy wants to come back and play to take part in the national championship game which he will never experience again and you have the NFL players complaining about it and telling him not to do it.

Yes, his future is in front of him, but this is the kind of guy I want on my team because I know he will give every inch of his body to win for you. The NFL players barely practice (and this was pre-Covid) with contact, there are no more 2 a days. The practice in an air conditioned building, and they drop like flies during the season because of it. There is a total lack of toughness in the NFL and these guys statements show that mentality.

Dez Bryant who pulls a hamstring every single practice and takes plays off shouldn't be commenting on a guy that is toughening it out. Or maybe it makes him look bad.

So Tampa Bay, who has not sniffed the playoffs since 2002, adds Tom Brady and now is in the NFC championship game. Can anyone dispute that the Cowboys offense is way more loaded than Tampa? Last year, Dallas should have let Dak go and added Tom Brady. They had the money as they did not have to franchise tag Dak.

Secondly, Drew Brees has fantastic numbers in the regular season. Yet, he has only one NFC championship in his career. Tom Brady in his first NFC season already is in one. The Saints are also loaded offensively, and have a pretty stout defense. The Cowboys had better look at this in deciding to sign Dak to a long term contract.

Last edited:
So Tampa Bay, who has not sniffed the playoffs since 2002, adds Tom Brady and now is in the NFC championship game. Can anyone dispute that the Cowboys offense is way more loaded than Tampa? Last year, Dallas should have let Dak go and added Tom Brady. They had the money as they did not have to franchise tag Dak.

Secondly, Drew Brees has fantastic numbers in the regular season. Yet, he has only one NFC championship in his career. Tom Brady in his first NFC season already is in one. The Saints are also loaded offensively, and have a pretty stout defense. The Cowboys had better look at this in deciding to sign Dak to a long term contract.
Tampa fan here. While all the light is on Brady and justifiably so, Bruce Arians was the right fit. He tells management "this is what I need. Get it done", from draft picks to Brady and Gronk signing. Jones will do that to a point. But when Jones is attracted to a college draft pick, he's like a baby seeing a shiny object, fixation and "I gotta have him!" no matter what the HC states. Dallas and Washington ownership are tops for egoism drafting.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Brian Daboll has also been passed over time after time. He also has a great resume. He has been the Bills offensive coordinator since 2018. He was the Alabama offensive coordinator in 2017. He has 17 years experience in the NFL.

Secondly, this is said about Bieniemy:
According to Pro Football Network’s Benjamin Allbright, Bieniemy’s legal troubles in his past "will give teams pause in evaluating his character." His poor interviews this past offseason and the fact that he isn’t really serving as Kansas City’s play-caller are also concerning.

In 1991, Bieniemy’s license was suspended for a year following repeated infractions. He later received an on-campus ban from the University of Colorado for harassing and assaulting a parking lot attendant. In addition, he was arrested for DUI in 2001. Bieniemy also worked on Colorado’s coaching staff when the program had multiple players facing rape allegations.

Lastly, NFL teams are aware that Reid is calling a majority of the plays in Kansas City. So, there is more risk in betting on a coach who last called plays for a pedestrian Colorado Buffaloes offense in 2011-12.

Now in saying all that, should the guy be bashed for something that happened in 2001? Maybe not, because we see a lot worse forgiven in the NFL. Just putting it out there that he is not exactly a slam dunk for the job, and there are others besides him that have also been passed over.

Reactions: axingfools1

Dak put up monster numbers this season before he was injured; even "in his prime" Tom Brady wouldn't have been able to improve upon those numbers. But the defense was so bad that the Cowboys still lost most of those games.

The defense was historically bad this season; don't try to scapegoat Dak.

Reactions: axingfools1
Dak put up monster numbers this season before he was injured; even "in his prime" Tom Brady wouldn't have been able to improve upon those numbers. But the defense was so bad that the Cowboys still lost most of those games.

The defense was historically bad this season; don't try to scapegoat Dak.
I was down on Dak 2 seasons ago because he was inaccurate at times and couldn't connect on deep balls. Past 2 seasons that hasn't been a problem at all. In fact this season (before his injury) he proved himself even more in light of the crappy defense.

I would take Dak any day over Zeke. Cowboys should have never given him that big contract under the circumstances. I just hope it doesn't hurt when it comes to signing Dak. We'll see.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I was down on Dak 2 seasons ago because he was inaccurate at times and couldn't connect on deep balls. Past 2 seasons that hasn't been a problem at all. In fact this season (before his injury) he proved himself even more in light of the crappy defense.

I would take Dak any day over Zeke. Cowboys should have never given him that big contract under the circumstances. I just hope it doesn't hurt when it comes to signing Dak. We'll see.
Dak is nothing without Zeke. Anytime they lose it is because Zeke did not run the ball. Dak is not the guy you have put the team on his back and lead them to the promise land. His high contract will ruin the team. Do you really want Dak running for his life every single play and there were enough games where we should have won with Dak and did not.

The real question you have to ask: If Dallas had gotten Brady would they have made the playoffs? I beg to say yes. And switched that question and give Tampa Dak, and can you say the same?

Cowboys need to go another direction on the QB and re-build too many holes with that money. Rebuild now, don't wait till Dak fails for another 3 to 4 and our young players then have aged.

You cannot rebuild the defense by resigning Dak to a huge contract. Brady may have been up the defenses ass and showed some leadership that the team lacks. Dak is not that guy.

Something has to be done by the Cowboys. When you win your last divisional playoff game in 96, something is not working, and continually doing it is insane and almost as bad as wasting a Sunday watching them play.

Last edited:
Brian Daboll has also been passed over time after time. He also has a great resume. He has been the Bills offensive coordinator since 2018. He was the Alabama offensive coordinator in 2017. He has 17 years experience in the NFL.

Secondly, this is said about Bieniemy:
According to Pro Football Network’s Benjamin Allbright, Bieniemy’s legal troubles in his past "will give teams pause in evaluating his character." His poor interviews this past offseason and the fact that he isn’t really serving as Kansas City’s play-caller are also concerning.

In 1991, Bieniemy’s license was suspended for a year following repeated infractions. He later received an on-campus ban from the University of Colorado for harassing and assaulting a parking lot attendant. In addition, he was arrested for DUI in 2001. Bieniemy also worked on Colorado’s coaching staff when the program had multiple players facing rape allegations.

Lastly, NFL teams are aware that Reid is calling a majority of the plays in Kansas City. So, there is more risk in betting on a coach who last called plays for a pedestrian Colorado Buffaloes offense in 2011-12.

Now in saying all that, should the guy be bashed for something that happened in 2001? Maybe not, because we see a lot worse forgiven in the NFL. Just putting it out there that he is not exactly a slam dunk for the job, and there are others besides him that have also been passed over.

So are you saying there is no racial bias in the NFL when it comes to hiring people of color as a head color?

So are you saying there is no racial bias in the NFL when it comes to hiring people of color as a head color?
There may be and there may not be. It is not as cut and dry as these articles claim it is. You could make the argument both ways as there is a lot of info that they leave out to make their point. I was simply giving reasons why he has not been hired and that there are plenty of other coach's that are better that also have not been hired.

There may be and there may not be. It is not as cut and dry as these articles claim it is. You could make the argument both ways as there is a lot of info that they leave out to make their point. I was simply giving reasons why he has not been hired and that there are plenty of other coach's that are better that also have not been hired.

How many head coaches of color do you know that have gotten the job without any play calling experience? If you can't find a single person of color that has gotten a head coaching job without play calling experience, that should tell you that there is in fact a racial bias. Anyone can get caught up in the minutia of an argument just to muddy the waters, but at the end of the day no matter how much polish you put on a turd, it's still a turd.

How many head coaches of color do you know that have gotten the job without any play calling experience? If you can't find a single person of color that has gotten a head coaching job without play calling experience, that should tell you that there is in fact a racial bias. Anyone can get caught up in the minutia of an argument just to muddy the waters, but at the end of the day no matter how much polish you put on a turd, it's still a turd.

Art Shell

The real question you have to ask: If Dallas had gotten Brady would they have made the playoffs? I beg to say yes. And switched that question and give Tampa Dak, and can you say the same?
Maybe the answer is yes, but if so, I believe the answer would also be yes if Dak had not been injured. But the defense was so bad that I'm not entirely sure the answer to either would be yes. They gave up the most points in the history of the franchise. They were historically bad.

So back in 89. Yeah there's no bias at all. 🤣
Here is a list of recent black head coaches in the NFL: Maybe they should hire Marvin Lewis again, or re-tread like the NBA does with Head Coaches over and over. This does not seem like a short list to me.

Secondly, would you take Urban Meyer or Bieniemy?

Also, how many had a rap sheet like Bieniemy?

My argument is against Bieniemy because he seems to be the name they keep throwing in everyone's face. Not that there is no racial bias, as I cannot attest to that fact either way. And yet, this list below is not exactly short.

Mike Tomlin
Brian Flores
Anthony Lynn
Marvin Lewis
Tony Dungy
Romeo Crennel
Jim Caldwell
Todd Bowles
Hue Jackson
Ray Rhodes
Denny Green
Raheem Morris
Leslie Frazier
Vance Joseph
Steve Wilks
Terry Robiskie
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Singletary

Last edited:
Here is a list of recent black head coaches in the NFL: Maybe they should hire Marvin Lewis again, or re-tread like the NBA does with Head Coaches over and over. This does not seem like a short list to me.

Secondly, would you take Urban Meyer or Bieniemy?

Mike Tomlin
Brian Flores
Anthony Lynn
Marvin Lewis
Tony Dungy
Romeo Crennel
Jim Caldwell
Todd Bowles
Hue Jackson
Ray Rhodes
Denny Green
Raheem Morris
Leslie Frazier
Vance Joseph
Steve Wilks
Terry Robiskie
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Singletary

First, my issue isn't just with the hiring of black coaches. It's an issue with the hiring of any coach of color. Second, put the years up next to the coaches and then make a comparable list of the white coaches. If you don't see the issue once you do that, then there's not much else we can talk about.

Maybe the answer is yes, but if so, I believe the answer would also be yes if Dak had not been injured. But the defense was so bad that I'm not entirely sure the answer to either would be yes. They gave up the most points in the history of the franchise. They were historically bad.
You sound just like Jerry Jones, and he will say the same thing when he signs him for 40 million plus a year and can't sign anyone else. Salary cap is going to be significantly lower the next 2 years.

He is not worth gambling the whole franchise on for the next 4 years.

First, my issue isn't just with the hiring of black coaches. It's an issue with the hiring of any coach of color. Second, put the years up next to the coaches and then make a comparable list of the white coaches. If you don't see the issue once you do that, then there's not much else we can talk about.
There are only 3 Hipanic MLB managers. 17 in the history of the league. Is that racially biased as well?

Reactions: kickballpro
You sound just like Jerry Jones, and he will say the same thing when he signs him for 40 million plus a year and can't sign anyone else. Salary cap is going to be significantly lower the next 2 years.

He is not worth gambling the whole franchise on for the next 4 years.
If you're arguing that it's not wise to sign Dak to that kind of contract, then I can understand that. The Cowboys are just horrid on defense right now, so they need money to bring in better defensive players.

What I'm saying is that I don't think what happened this season can be blamed on Dak. At all. I don't think it's fair to scapegoat Dak and I don't understand why you seem to hate him so much.

If you're arguing that it's not wise to sign Dak to that kind of contract, then I can understand that. The Cowboys are just horrid on defense right now, so they need money to bring in better defensive players.

What I'm saying is that I don't think what happened this season can be blamed on Dak. At all. I don't think it's fair to scapegoat Dak and I don't understand why you seem to hate him so much.
I never said I hate Dak. I just said he is not worth the money he is asking for. Secondly, we cannot afford to sign him.

Would I keep Dak for around 15-20 Million. Yes, because that is what he is worth and it would allow us to rebuild our team.

Dak can't be the scapegoat, but he was 1-3 this year. Could have easily been 0-4 if it was not for a miracle onside kick. That doesn't sound like a team that was going to be lead to the playoffs by him. They actually won the game he got injured in as it was Dalton that lead them to the win.

I also question is Dak the poor man's Drew Brees. Brees put up great numbers but only had one NFC championship to show for it way back in 2009. We already have no divisional playoff wins since 1996. Brees had a great supporting cast around him and a very good defense, and yet he always fell short in the playoffs. I have had enough with that.

So, I do not hate Dak, but I question if he is the guy to lead the Cowboys, and I definitely say you cannot pay him and outrageous contract to the detriment of the rest of the team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I never said I hate Dak. I just said he is not worth the money he is asking for. Secondly, we cannot afford to sign him.

Would I keep Dak for around 15-20 Million. Yes, because that is what he is worth and it would allow us to rebuild our team.

Dak can't be the scapegoat, but he was 1-3 this year. Could have easily been 0-4 if it was not for a miracle onside kick. That doesn't sound like a team that was going to be lead to the playoffs by him. They actually won the game he got injured in as it was Dalton that lead them to the win.

I also question is Dak the poor man's Drew Brees. Brees put up great numbers but only had one NFC championship to show for it way back in 2009. We already have no divisional playoff wins since 1996. Brees had a great supporting cast around him and a very good defense, and yet he always fell short in the playoffs. I have had enough with that.

So, I do not hate Dak, but I question if he is the guy to lead the Cowboys, and I definitely say you cannot pay him and outrageous contract to the detriment of the rest of the team.

What QBs do you think are better than him right now in the NFL? I can't think of more than 7 that I would take over him.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
What QBs do you think are better than him right now in the NFL? I can't think of more than 7 that I would take over him.
Anybody that we take thats worth a damn is gonna command money. Whatever direction the Cowboys go, next season will probably be a waste with the lowered salary cap

Anybody that we take thats worth a damn is gonna command money. Whatever direction the Cowboys go, next season will probably be a waste with the lowered salary cap

True. It seems 20 million is they're going rate for a average to below average quarterback.

With the surrounding cast, you need a game manager more than anything else. You do not need a superstar.

Now in saying that, if the O-line is not re-built and Jerry relies on the injured players coming back and thinks everything is going to be fantastic, you will need a QB that is very mobile and can run. Dak is that guy.

If you look at Dak's numbers though, he has been a middle of the pack QB. Which is fine for the Cowboys right now, at 15-20 million a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT