ADVERTISEMENT

OT: West Virginia to ACC?

Tech, Baylor and BYU are holed up the Chisos Mountains somewhere south of Alpine according to a buddy of mine who was buying beer in Fort Davis and saw four to five talking inside the corner waiting on their "to go chicken".

"Do we need that much chicken Mike? Shit, I'll just tell my crew in El Paso to go home and I'll use my arms to fly back to Worth..."

"OKC will not buy into it..."

"We gotta sell the Mormons to that self righteous ass......"

"PAC (12) money would've saved us and Boone is dead...damn that man knew people and his death is biting us in the ass...."

"We gotta get Memphis in....they're printing money up there....Houston acts like they got money...."

That's all I got......stay tuned

Any way you slice it or reshuffle the deck UTEP will be on the outside looking in. We like a lot of other schools are bystanders. History is not on our side, geography is not on our side and money and exposure are not on our side.

Any way you slice it or reshuffle the deck UTEP will be on the outside looking in. We like a lot of other schools are bystanders. History is not on our side, geography is not on our side and money and exposure are not on our side.
It’s a shame that EP doesn’t support UTEP sports. We are the 23rd largest city in the country and can’t get more than 3% of the Porto go to a football game.
I know of people who go to tale gate then leave when the game starts.
If we had more support ( means more money, better facilities) we might have a chance of getting into a decent conference.

It’s a shame that EP doesn’t support UTEP sports. We are the 23rd largest city in the country and can’t get more than 3% of the Porto go to a football game.
El Paso supports UTEP just fine. UTEP has given El Paso reasons not to support for many, many years. There are other more successful schools that would love to have UTEP’a football and basketball crowds.

El Paso supports UTEP just fine. UTEP has given El Paso reasons not to support for many, many years. There are other more successful schools that would love to have UTEP’a football and basketball crowds.
Sure, just cause we have better attendance than some other cities, I see little support city wide. I hear the passion for the Cowboys from tons of people, and many of those people have never been to a Miner game. Most of them couldn’t name a player or even the coach of the football team.
Granted UTEP does a terrible job marketing or doing any outreach to the public, and their crap teams don’t help much.

Sure, just cause we have better attendance than some other cities, I see little support city wide. I hear the passion for the Cowboys from tons of people, and many of those people have never been to a Miner game. Most of them couldn’t name a player or even the coach of the football team.
Granted UTEP does a terrible job marketing or doing any outreach to the public, and their crap teams don’t help much.
The Cowboys have been El Paso’s NFL team for decades. Almost all their games are on free tv every Sunday. And they have won Super Bowls.

UTEP games all have different times and networks and they have sucked pretty much every year for 55 years! UTEP doesn’t give people a reason to pay attention to them.

I think the support is fine for the product. UTEP needs more big dollar donors. They're the ones that get shit done.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I know of people who go to tale gate then leave when the game starts.
If we had more support ( means more money, better facilities) we might have a chance of getting into a decent conference.
This is something that I have never understood. I remember back in the day walking out if the game past large crowds of tailgaters that had never left the tailgate. I don’t get it. I enjoy tailgate parties as a part of the game experience. But without going to the game, why tailgate? Find a friend with a pool and hold a cookout there. Then you have the option of getting out of the heat once in a while and into the air conditioning, you have real bathrooms instead of having to hike to the porta potties, and you have a pool. Sitting there in the hot sun without proper facilities is only fun, to me, if it's topped off with a game. I just don't get it.

They will be if they remain in the Big 12. We are moving to four power conferences I don't why you don't understand that.

The big 12 may take AAC schools. Like AAC taking CUSA schools. Both will be non power conferences. They are already being fazed out as a power conference.

The big 12 may take AAC schools. Like AAC taking CUSA schools. Both will be non power conferences. They are already being fazed out as a power conference.
In the post below, you said the Big 12 is “on par” with the AAC, but here you are conceding the fact that the Big 12 may take AAC schools. If the AAC were “on par” with the Big 12, why would they leave?

Post in thread 'OT: West Virginia to ACC?'
https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-west-virginia-to-acc.10685/post-176557

A non power conference is a non power conference. Their new TV contracts in 2023 will be pretty close.

A non power conference is a non power conference. Their new TV contracts in 2023 will be pretty close.
If, as expected, the Big 12 poaches a couple of the best AAC schools then both contracts are going down. Down for the AAC means something like $3 million instead of $7 million. The Big 12 will drop a lot too but half would be around $15 million. Thats just media money. In total with ncaa credits for mbb and bowl games each school is making about $37 million per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Not sure how BYU fits in geographically or with their religious restrictions. Also I would think money is an issue with them. I wonder if Memphis is a better fit?

Not sure how BYU fits in geographically or with their religious restrictions. Also I would think money is an issue with them. I wonder if Memphis is a better fit?
It's been floated that byu would be football only, which helps with both geography and their "no games on Sunday" rule. I'd personally like to add their basketball too.

It's been floated that byu would be football only, which helps with both geography and their "no games on Sunday" rule. I'd personally like to add their basketball too.

And to think that we were once equals with BYU and Utah; Boise State as their program revved up.

Today, we can hardly keep up with Houston Baptist and S.F. Austin...

If the Big 12 has Baylor as a member, why would religious affiliation be a deal-breaker for BYU? Is it all about the "no playing on Sundays" thing?

Not this version.
A power conference that everyone knows is now a non power conference desperately add members even though the effort to remain a power conference is futile? This is just like what happened when the Big East split. Eventually the power 4 will pick off a few of the big 12 remainders and Houston and maybe UCF.

A power conference that everyone knows is now a non power conference desperately add members even though the effort to remain a power conference is futile? This is just like what happened when the Big East split. Eventually the power 4 will pick off a few of the big 12 remainders and Houston and maybe UCF.
Could have had them now. Why wait? Big 12 is on par with the Pac 12 with only 8 and will be the same level, if not better when they expand with 4 more teams.

Could have had them now. Why wait? Big 12 is on par with the Pac 12 with only 8 and will be the same level, if not better when they expand with 4 more teams.
If USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon leave they may be equal. The Big 12 2.0 has no brands that even come close to those four.

So weird? I thought the Big 12 and AAC were equals.
I would take another AAC school over BYU for better geography. If they invite those four teams, I wonder how the divisions will shake out.

Assuming those four join the Big 12, where does that leave the AAC? I think they would add UAB and maybe one more.

Last edited:
If USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon leave they may be equal. The Big 12 2.0 has no brands that even come close to those four.
Granted, the Big 12, 2.0, has no brands that come close to USC, and Oregon because of its Nike affiliation, but you are crazy to throw Washington in the mix. Baylor, West Va, Iowa State as of late, are all on par with Washington as a brand. Also, UCLA is as washed up a brand as Vidal Sasoon, with its 5000 fans at its season opener. You’re looking at it historically, and by that measure you may be right, but it’s 2021 and things have changed.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Washington has to been 3 new years six bowls in the past five seasons and a college football playoff. They are far beyond any brand in big 12 2.0. UCLA is shitty I give you that. However the name and the market make it way more valuable than any of the big 12 2.0. Honestly I have USC and Washington has the top schools in Pac 12 Oregon and UCLA farther behind.

Big (8) on par with the PAC12? really? If the Big (8) was such wonderful conference why did Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzu and A$M and now UT and OU all depart for greener pastures? To date I have never seen a PAC 12 school exit for another conference, besides UCLA and USC alone dwarf anything remaining in Big 8 in national presence and marketability. The schools of the Pac 12 much like the Big 10 share bonds which extend way beyond football and athletics, that's why UTAH and Colorado left the Big 12 because they wanted like minded affiliates and in the case of both the benefited greatly in athletics and academics with the switch the Big 12 had little to compare. It's not all about athletics performance, money, or exposure it's about who you hold company with. Besides fans, sports writers, or AD don't make these decisions College Presidents and BOE do.

Washington has to been 3 new years six bowls in the past five seasons and a college football playoff. They are far beyond any brand in big 12 2.0. UCLA is shitty I give you that. However the name and the market make it way more valuable than any of the big 12 2.0. Honestly I have USC and Washington has the top schools in Pac 12 Oregon and UCLA farther behind.
As a brand, which is how you stated it, Oregon is probably tops, because of Nike. Maybe USC because of history, location and the occasional good season. Washington has no brand appeal outside the west coast. If you’re talking quality of football, you may have a case. But no where near where Iowa State is right now, or Cincinnati for that matter. UW had that 3 year run from 16-18 where they made 3 straight NY 6 Bowls, but it been 3 years since. What have you done for me lately? As a brand though, Washington is like Saucony. They’re there, but not very visible.

Big (8) on par with the PAC12? really? If the Big (8) was such wonderful conference why did Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzu and A$M and now UT and OU all depart for greener pastures? To date I have never seen a PAC 12 school exit for another conference, besides UCLA and USC alone dwarf anything remaining in Big 8 in national presence and marketability. The schools of the Pac 12 much like the Big 10 share bonds which extend way beyond football and athletics, that's why UTAH and Colorado left the Big 12 because they wanted like minded affiliates and in the case of both the benefited greatly in athletics and academics with the switch the Big 12 had little to compare. It's not all about athletics performance, money, or exposure it's about who you hold company with. Besides fans, sports writers, or AD don't make these decisions College Presidents and BOE do.
Those schools left because of the influence of Texas and OU. Colorado is more a fit with Pac 10 schools than the majority of Big 12 schools. Texas and OU left for more money. I didn’t know Utah was ever a member of the Big 12. What year did they join?

Any Big 12 team would leave to the SEC. SEC is king.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT