ADVERTISEMENT

OT: West Virginia to ACC?

WV has always preferred the ACC but the ACC has always rejected them. I'd be very surprised if anything has changed.
West Virginia belongs in the ACC. I know they're not a metro area, but they own the whole state, Marshall is just an after thought. Not to mention they're good in both money making sports. I don't know why ACC wouldn't want that. If Texas, Oklahoma and W. Virginia leave the Big 12 will be in trouble and could lose Power 5 status and be on par with the AAC, or the AAC might take OK. State Kansas and others to get them at the front door of the Majors.

Reactions: kickballpro
West Virginia belongs in the ACC. I know they're not a metro area, but they own the whole state, Marshall is just an after thought. Not to mention they're good in both money making sports. I don't know why ACC wouldn't want that. If Texas, Oklahoma and W. Virginia leave the Big 12 will be in trouble and could lose Power 5 status and be on par with the AAC, or the AAC might take OK. State Kansas and others to get them at the front door of the Majors.
The Big 12 will no longer exist. Even when the leftovers find new homes, be it the Big 10, ACC, or Pac-12. Those left behind shouldn't even try to keep the Big 12 conference going, even if in name only. They'll probably end up in either The American or Mountain West.

No way Kansas goes to the AAC. Kansas will end up in the Big 10 w/Iowa State.

If the BigXII fails and becomes defunct, is that good or bad for CUSA?

I could see a situation where the Group of 5 become Group of 3 and P5 become P4.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I hear Pac 12 wont poach Big 12 School s because of religious/values reasons.

I hear Pac 12 wont poach Big 12 School s because of religious/values reasons.
UC and Cal are the evil S&G of colleges to many Texas colleges but one horrible liberal school says "buh bye! I'm leaving you" the remainder beg to be included.

The irony.

UC and Cal are the evil S&G of colleges to many Texas colleges but one horrible liberal school says "buh bye! I'm leaving you" the remainder beg to be included.

The irony.

Well TCU and Baylor are Christian schools they wouldn't fit with Pac 12. Texas Tech maybe??

Reactions: axingfools1
PAC 12 like the Big 10 have a unique culture wrapped around the athletics part. PAC 12 is not going to expand for the sake of expansion and the Big 10 is kinda in the same position. Be very surprised if the left over eight get invites to those conferences. I do see them picking from the AAC, my bet Houston and SMU are going along with another school maybe Air Force or a CSU.

Forgot about UCF, they are a good fit for the Big 12 (11) (8). As are Memphis and Cincy. I still think SMU as a rival to TCU and Baylor as well as Houston for recruiting and market are good bets. If this occurs I wonder what are our chances of getting into the AAC? Many in CUSA are likely better fits and If we were to be left out we could find ourselves in an even weaker CUSA (hard to stomach) . Think the door is closed in MWC and we could find ourselves in the weakest conference in D1 or worse be in the same place as NMSU, Indy football and crap conference for other sports.

Forgot about UCF, they are a good fit for the Big 12 (11) (8). As are Memphis and Cincy. I still think SMU as a rival to TCU and Baylor as well as Houston for recruiting and market are good bets. If this occurs I wonder what are our chances of getting into the AAC? Many in CUSA are likely better fits and If we were to be left out we could find ourselves in an even weaker CUSA (hard to stomach) . Think the door is closed in MWC and we could find ourselves in the weakest conference in D1 or worse be in the same place as NMSU, Indy football and crap conference for other sports.
If that happened to the AAC then they would be demolished. CUSA could be getting a few teams back maybe? USF, Tulsa, East Carolina and Tulane maybe?

Don't think so, the AAC is in a far better position than is CUSA and likely get their pic of programs. Don't see USF joining the likes of FAU and FIU. What I would love to see is if CUSA and the left over AAC teams reform into two new conferences a Texas Centric one and a Florida-Southern one. We could take Tulsa, Tulane and SMU/Houston and WSU in trade for FIU, FAU, Marshall, ODU and Charlotte. Better regional cohesion and more natural rival potential. It makes sense so it likely will never happen.

Reactions: axingfools1
Don't think so, the AAC is in a far better position than is CUSA and likely get their pic of programs. Don't see USF joining the likes of FAU and FIU. What I would love to see is if CUSA and the left over AAC teams reform into two new conferences a Texas Centric one and a Florida-Southern one. We could take Tulsa, Tulane and SMU/Houston and WSU in trade for FIU, FAU, Marshall, ODU and Charlotte. Better regional cohesion and more natural rival potential. It makes sense so it likely will never happen.
We're in by far the weakest position we've ever been in when it comes to realignment. If there is major G5 alignment we're in trouble.

We're in by far the weakest position we've ever been in when it comes to realignment. If there is major G5 alignment we're in trouble.
Nightmare scenario:

Big 12 expands by 4 - all from AAC
AAC replaces 4 from CUSA - UNT, UTSA, and two other schools
CUSA is a 10 team league with UTEP by themselves (more so) if Rice and LaTech are taken, and is even shittier than before.

BYU has always been held back by no play on Sunday. Baylor has vehemently blocked them in the past wanting no part of a Mormon school in the Big12. BYU is basically Notre Dame. Big national following nice TV ratings. Houston is by far in the best position of the Texas schools not in The SEC. Tech, Baylor and TCU have wanted no part of trying to compete with them for recruits. Now the Big 12 is a g5 conference and they don't have the power 5 advantage it makes sense to invite Houston. BYU, Cincinnati and UCF are about as good a the Big 12 can hope for right now.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
BYU has always been held back by no play on Sunday. Baylor has vehemently blocked them in the past wanting no part of a Mormon school in the Big12. BYU is basically Notre Dame. Big national following nice TV ratings. Houston is by far in the best position of the Texas schools not in The SEC. Tech, Baylor and TCU have wanted no part of trying to compete with them for recruits. Now the Big 12 is a g5 conference and they don't have the power 5 advantage it makes sense to invite Houston. BYU, Cincinnati and UCF are about as good a the Big 12 can hope for right now.
Big “12” is no G5 conference. Baylor won the ****ing National championship last year. Kansas is a basketball blue blood. A Baylor football player won the Heisman. Oklahoma St has been to a bowl game every year since 2006, including Cotton, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls. Texas Tech made the basketball championship game a few years ago.

Please let the board know, which G5 conference has teams that have those accomplishments.

work-drinking.gif

Cincy has the best maneuverability.

You're in conference that can make a major move so you have to ask "Do we want Tech, Baylor, or TCU? They are very conservative colleges with big, deep pocketed politico alums in Austin and elsewhere who make waves, stir the pot and can be catalysts for the wrong reasons; and UTEP has more national championships (2nd behind UT) in sports than either of them [NC rank]. Do we want that? The answer (to the PAC 12) "Hell no!!".

Houston, ok. That's palatable.

BYU. Let it go. No one wants them. They are a P.I.T.A.. I think in the long run it was good they said bye bye to UTEP.

Last edited:
Big “12” is no G5 conference. Baylor won the ****ing National championship last year. Kansas is a basketball blue blood. A Baylor football player won the Heisman. Oklahoma St has been to a bowl game every year since 2006, including Cotton, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls. Texas Tech made the basketball championship game a few years ago.

Please let the board know, which G5 conference has teams that have those accomplishments.
Basketball is completely irrelevant when discussing power conferences. The AAC and Big East are power conferences in basketball. The Big 12 will be a g5 and is already being treated like one. ( not included in the aliance).
Houston, UCF and Cincinatti have all played in New Years Six bowls. Houston went to the final four last year. The big 12 is on par with the AAC.

Basketball is completely irrelevant when discussing power conferences. The AAC and Big East are power conferences in basketball. The Big 12 will be a g5 and is already being treated like one. ( not included in the aliance).
Houston, UCF and Cincinatti have all played in New Years Six bowls. Houston went to the final four last year. The big 12 is on par with the AAC.
No Heisman’s right? Okay then, the AAC will be poaching B12 teams? Not the other way around?

The "experts" out there appear to favor BYU, Cincinnati, and UCF as 3 of the 4 to add to the Big 12. The 4th spot is divided between Boise State and Houston.

Me, I just don't get West Virginia being in the Big 12. My gut tells me they are talking with the Big 10 and the ACC. Both of those conferences are at 14 schools now. I suspect one or both will try to match the SEC and go to 16. West Virginia would fit into either conference.

IF that happened, the Big 12 would need to add a 5th school. Maybe in this scenario they add both Boise State and Houston.

What sucks about all of that is that UTEP is nowhere in the conversation. That really, really, really, ****ing sucks.

BYU might be good for the B12 but is the B12 good for BYU? They already have great exposure a national audience can schedule anybody they want in Football and have other sports in a rising and competitive conference who has similar ideals. What does the B12 offer them, more TV? more money? Don't think so, I think they really like being indie in Football and enjoy the WCC for other sports and most import is the FANs at BYU enjoy their position.

BYU might be good for the B12 but is the B12 good for BYU? They already have great exposure a national audience can schedule anybody they want in Football and have other sports in a rising and competitive conference who has similar ideals. What does the B12 offer them, more TV? more money? Don't think so, I think they really like being indie in Football and enjoy the WCC for other sports and most import is the FANs at BYU enjoy their position.
Great points. BYU is independent because UTAH is in the PAC 12. They couldn't stand "little brother" in a power conference without them. There are going to be four power conferences and the big 12 isn't going to be one of them. They get a nice media rights deal from ESPN. The new big twelve TV contract will be ugly. The only advantage is an an expanded playoff gives the g6 a spot in the playoff. As an independent it would be much harder for BYU to compete for that spot as opposed to them being in a conference.

No Heisman’s right? Okay then, the AAC will be poaching B12 teams? Not the other way around?
Who cares about Heismans. The only reason RG3 has one is because he beat blueblood and king of the Big12 Oklahoma in spectacular fashion in a national prime time game. That opportunity won't be available in the new Big 12.

Who cares about Heismans. The only reason RG3 has one is because he beat blueblood and king of the Big12 Oklahoma in spectacular fashion in a national prime time game. That opportunity won't be available in the new Big 12.
Only P5 players win the Heisman. Last one not from a power conference was Ty Detmer in 1990. So please continue to tell me that the Big 12 is a “G5 conference” now.

Great points. BYU is independent because UTAH is in the PAC 12. They couldn't stand "little brother" in a power conference without them. There are going to be four power conferences and the big 12 isn't going to be one of them. They get a nice media rights deal from ESPN. The new big twelve TV contract will be ugly. The only advantage is an an expanded playoff gives the g6 a spot in the playoff. As an independent it would be much harder for BYU to compete for that spot as opposed to them being in a conference.
The Big 12 media deal is split between Fox and espn. If their deal goes way down it will still likely be worth twice the aac deal.

Only P5 players win the Heisman. Last one not from a power conference was Ty Detmer in 1990. So please continue to tell me that the Big 12 is a “G5 conference” now
They are a g5 as soon as Oklahoma leaves. They aren't included in the alliance. They are already being treated as a g5.

The Big 12 media deal is split between Fox and espn. If their deal goes way down it will still likely be worth twice the aac deal.
With espn taking all the SEC coverage in 2023 they won't pay the big 12 half of what they're getting now. All of the remaining schools together are worth as much media wise as OU and Texas. I would be the big 12's new TV deal will be 60-70% less than it is now.

As others have noted, the only way UTEP will be part of any conversation is if we qualify for a bowl game this year (albeit a lesser status bowl). Hoops must show steady improvement.

I agree...right now we are nowhere.

The only consolation is that I do not hear reports (other than wishful thinking on the part of some conference members) of solid consideration for most of our fellow conference mates. They are pretty much bogged down in the same situation.

As others have noted, the only way UTEP will be part of any conversation is if we qualify for a bowl game this year (albeit a lesser status bowl). Hoops must show steady improvement.

I agree...right now we are nowhere.

The only consolation is that I do not hear reports (other than wishful thinking on the part of some conference members) of solid consideration for most of our fellow conference mates. They are pretty much bogged down in the same situation.
All this expansion stuff will probably be decided well before UTEP were to qualify for a bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT