ADVERTISEMENT

Pleasantly Surprised with the win!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I admit, I didn't think UTEP would win in the Pit without Bienemy. Kennedy played smart basketball which was nice to see. We held the lead in the second half despite some Lobo's runs that got them within single digits. All in all good road win against a team that is better than half the teams in conference usa.

Don't know about you but more than "Pleasantly Surprised" any time you win on the road, and in the PIT is special. Even more so when it is us, in the last 5 years how many road wins do we have? We have 2 this year already. Going to have to reevaluate my opinion of Kennedy he was a monster today.
What's more than Pleasantly Surprised?! Beyond Ecstatic!?! I'm happy Miners won and pleasantly surprised that's all, because this version of the Lobos is just all right and probably a middle of the run MWC team. I'm glad we beat the lobos at their place, but not Over The Moon!

Last edited:
Bonke Moring!
Does his 4 or 5 minutes in the game today make any sense to you? There must be a defensive liability involved, but I haven't seen it.

What's more than Pleasantly Surprised?! Beyond Ecstatic!?! I'm happy Miners won and pleasantly surprised that's all, because this version of the Lobos is just all right and probably a middle of the run MWC team. I'm glad we beat the lobos in their place, but not Over The Moon!
UNM pushed UAB hard for about 36-37 minutes. Had the lead at about the 35 minute mark. Based on what I saw out of them that night, I was expecting an ass kicking today considering all factors.

So both my guys; Saterfield and Moring asked to be removed? Well that sucks!

There's nothing to complain about. Maring and Saterfield got good minutes and played well. Saterfield made at least 2 shots from downtown plus some 2s. Big improvements from both.
Kalu is going to be a Miner Great. Mark my words.
Who’s complaining. Was just answering miner1liner’s question. Agree Saterfield got good minutes. Maring did not. He had 4 minutes total. Great points to minutes ratio, though.

As far as Kalu goes, I hope you’re right. I certainly don’t see it offensively at this point. He is just a frosh though.

Reactions: groundrounds
I hope Kalu continues to develop, but I think Bonke has as much or more potential. Four minutes; 5 points. Not much to examine there.

I hope Kalu continues to develop, but I think Bonke has as much or more potential. Four minutes; 5 points. Not much to examine there.
I think Kalu and Maring fill 2 different slots. Maring is a center and Kalu is more of a monster forward who can play center. I like Kalu's athleticism but he's going to be making bone headed freshman mistakes all season. Next year this team will really bloom.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
There's nothing to complain about. Maring and Saterfield got good minutes and played well. Saterfield made at least 2 shots from downtown plus some 2s. Big improvements from both.
One can hope. Although a transfer or two are just as likely these days.

I think we are the only two who are high on Kalu.

Reactions: groundrounds
I think Kalu and Maring fill 2 different slots. Maring is a center and Kalu is more of a monster forward who can play center. I like Kalu's athleticism but he's going to be making bone headed freshman mistakes all season. Next year this team will really bloom.
I think they both fill big guy slots; not specific center or forward slots. We aren't that finely tuned that we can place labels on them. I know that Bonke produces and yet a mere 4 minutes doesn't begin to allow him to produce what he's capable of.

I think they both fill big guy slots; not specific center or forward slots. We aren't that finely tuned that we can place labels on them. I know that Bonke produces and yet a mere 4 minutes doesn't begin to allow him to produce what he's capable of.
Goldings game plan scored us a solid, unexpected win. I'm not about to start questioning his rotation choices.

From a defensive perspective, Kalu's lateral movement fits nicely in Golding's trapping defense. In order to be effective, that big needs to be able to really move, especially laterally. Maring is ahead of Kalu offensively, but Kalu is a much better fit defensively, and that is the why is getting more PT, in my opinion. Really, the same applies to Sibley, who has also shown a little bit more offense than either Kalu or Maring. The issue with Sibley is that he is not strong enough to bang down low.

With Saterfield, I do like what he adds in shooting, but he also struggles defensively at times. His ball handling is a bit loose as well. From what I see, he does indeed look like a guy transitioning from an undersized 4, to a guard position (and to D1). I would like to see more of Saterfield, and less of White. If Kennedy and Agnew play well offensively, it is hard to argue against them being on the court for their defense. The problem, of course, is that they are too inconsistent offensively.

Yes I agree Saterfield needs more D1 experience, but adds more than white and has earned from what I can see 10+ min

Reactions: Lil_Train
From a defensive perspective, Kalu's lateral movement fits nicely in Golding's trapping defense. In order to be effective, that big needs to be able to really move, especially laterally. Maring is ahead of Kalu offensively, but Kalu is a much better fit defensively, and that is the why is getting more PT, in my opinion. Really, the same applies to Sibley, who has also shown a little bit more offense than either Kalu or Maring. The issue with Sibley is that he is not strong enough to bang down low.
Not to open Pandora's box, but I thought that's how we thought Onyema would fit in this year. Is any chance we're ever going to see him in substantial minutes in a Miner uniform?

Reactions: axingfools1
Yes I agree Saterfield needs more D1 experience, but adds more than white and has earned from what I can see 10+ min
Agree, but you don't get experience on the bench. Seems like his pattern has been play a couple minutes then sit for several, etc. Can’t get into the flow that way and there's also a confidence factor with kids that comes with extended minutes. When you only play brief spurts, the tendency is to try too hard to impress rather than letting the game come to you.

Agree, but you don't get experience on the bench. Seems like his pattern has been play a couple minutes then sit for several, etc. Can’t get into the flow that way and there's also a confidence factor with kids that comes with extended minutes. When you only play brief spurts, the tendency is to try too hard to impress rather than letting the game come to you.
He got 20 minutes of pt yesterday. I think that is sufficient, however I expect that’ll go down significantly when Bieniemy returns.

In my humble opinion, he needs 15+ minutes a game. We know what he can do shooting wise, but he takes the charge as well as anyone, he has quite a few steals and maybe I’m missing something but he seems to stay with his man pretty decently. Meh, I’m obviously missing something.

Not to open Pandora's box, but I thought that's how we thought Onyema would fit in this year. Is any chance we're ever going to see him in substantial minutes in a Miner uniform?
Doesn't seem like it. He must be a big project. If he sticks with us though I think he could play a big role in the future though. He us just so damn explosive it's hard to see him on the bench.

Kalu and Maring are big strong guys, however neither has shown any prowess regarding rebounding, finishing and rim protection. The good thing is they are young. My hope is that one will turn into our next Ced Lang, but thats a lot to ask. We are really missing BWs scoring and athleticism around the rim this year.

I think we are the only two who are high on Kalu.
I think Kalu fits the type of player that Golding likes. Plays hard. I like him and feel confident he will develop over the years. We have to remember that he is just a freshman. In my opinion, he is ahead of Antonio Davis when he was a freshman, and we know the stud player that Davis turned into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT