ADVERTISEMENT

Powerful story on Kai Locksley

Having followed Mike Lockleys trials at UNM, having Kai here after his brother's tragic death feels like a kind of a redemption, not only for Kai but for our program. I hope we can put it together.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Hi All,
I had a talk with him and asked him what I would like for him to accomblish here at UTEP.
He then asked me, what is that and I told him to get his degree, so when he his done with his NFL football career, he could do some great things in his life.
I was so impressed with him and his vision for the future, I knew right then that he is going to do some great things in his life.

Reactions: HeWore62
I’ve been at practice all week long, watched Locksley a lot. The thing that stands out to me is his size, he’s a big dude. He throws a beautiful ball. He also stands tall in the pocket with lots of poise. However, I’ve seen him throw multiple picks. He has overthrown balls, made bad reads, and underthrown balls. He’s also completed more difficult throws than the other QB’s and his deep ball is excellent. He’s really good on RPO’s.

Metz and Locksley have been taking majority of the first team reps and in my opinion Metz has been better. #16 isn’t the runner Metz and Locksley are but he has a talented arm. #3 Is falling behind.

WR’s is a deep position group and the guy I think is really gonna impress is #14 Rodriguez from Eastwood. When UTEP recruited him I did not think he was a Division 1 player. He’s good! #11 is another guy I like as well as Sinegal, K Johnson, and #10, Sr from Montwood.

RB appears to be Trayvon’s job, #19. #22 is also doing a great job as well as #24 from Ysleta who has done well. McKee has had some great blocks from the FB position. I believe I saw Winston Dimel at Wednesday’s practice, not sure if it was him though.

O-Line has had its highs and lows. But they’re being coached Hard. They run block better IMO.

One noticeable change between last years staff and this years is the competition between O and D. Both between the players and the staff. Coach Dimel will declare winners in drills between O and D, loser does up-downs.

I don't know how Dimel feels about using 2 QBs, but if both have strengths for some food game situations why not. Just make teams have to work harder n scout for two QBs. Plus it reduces the wear n tear on each.

I don't know how Dimel feels about using 2 QBs, but if both have strengths for some food game situations why not. Just make teams have to work harder n scout for two QBs. Plus it reduces the wear n tear on each.

Would you really want to divide precious practice time between two QBs? That alone may be more detrimental to a team because how are the line/receivers/backs supposed to get in rhythm? Pick your QB and go. And wear and tear? What are we trying preserve here? They’re QBs not leased cars, you can’t be afraid of any potential injuries. If that was the case don’t bother dressing the player.
I would be all for a 2nd QB in short yardage run/pass option situations. But we don’t have Tim Tebow on the bench waiting to steamroll a LB.

Great info, kickball.

What would be your guess as to run-pass percentage? 60-40ish?

Every play was scripted to a down and distance situation. Not really sure if there was a tendency. Pretty even. Canales works with the passing game in 7 on 7 and he really opens it up. Dimel will work with inside run game at the same time. When they come together for team you see a little of everything. Lots of formations and personnel groupings. This team could go 5 wide one play and come back with 3 TE’s and 2 RB’s the next.

Everyone seems to be getting a look. Staff really doing a good job rotating everyone in. All athletes seem like their getting a shot.

I like to watch the passing game and RPO’s. One player I really like on defense is #13. He’s confident, talks a lot and can play.

I’ve always liked Metz, He has talent but was hampered by crap coaching. And I’ve always thought he was questioned by his mental toughness and was doghoused because of it by Kuglar. When crap hits the fan it’s up to him to go out and win the damn job. We’ll see if he has the drive and fortitude to take the job. I’m pulling for him. Go out and take it!

I’ve been at practice all week long, watched Locksley a lot. The thing that stands out to me is his size, he’s a big dude. He throws a beautiful ball. He also stands tall in the pocket with lots of poise. However, I’ve seen him throw multiple picks. He has overthrown balls, made bad reads, and underthrown balls. He’s also completed more difficult throws than the other QB’s and his deep ball is excellent. He’s really good on RPO’s.

Metz and Locksley have been taking majority of the first team reps and in my opinion Metz has been better. #16 isn’t the runner Metz and Locksley are but he has a talented arm. #3 Is falling behind.

WR’s is a deep position group and the guy I think is really gonna impress is #14 Rodriguez from Eastwood. When UTEP recruited him I did not think he was a Division 1 player. He’s good! #11 is another guy I like as well as Sinegal, K Johnson, and #10, Sr from Montwood.

RB appears to be Trayvon’s job, #19. #22 is also doing a great job as well as #24 from Ysleta who has done well. McKee has had some great blocks from the FB position. I believe I saw Winston Dimel at Wednesday’s practice, not sure if it was him though.

O-Line has had its highs and lows. But they’re being coached Hard. They run block better IMO.

One noticeable change between last years staff and this years is the competition between O and D. Both between the players and the staff. Coach Dimel will declare winners in drills between O and D, loser does up-downs.
How does Wadley #4 look? I read that he is 100%

Also do you know if Tialavea #72 is playing OL or DL?

Also how does DeHaro #73 (EP Montwood) look on the OL? Dimel has mentioned his name a few times

Just so people can match #s to names:
3 Mark Torrez
10 Warren Redix
13 Justin Rogers
16 Alex Fernandez
22 Ronald Awatt

I’ve always liked Metz, He has talent but was hampered by crap coaching. And I’ve always thought he was questioned by his mental toughness and was doghoused because of it by Kuglar. When crap hits the fan it’s up to him to go out and win the damn job. We’ll see if he has the drive and fortitude to take the job. I’m pulling for him. Go out and take it!
I like Metz too. I would be REALLY suprised if Metz is the starter, but he is getting a fair shot.

Last edited:
I like Metz too but you have to think that Locksley has to be the favorite heading into the fall. But with that being said, if Metz has a great spring/fall that will be a great thing because that will push the QBs to up their game. I have a feeling Metz will see the field at one point due to injury (I hope not) or ineffectiveness. At least we have a potential backup who is game.

Reactions: axingfools1

Also how does DeHaro #73 (EP Montwood) look on the OL? Dimel has mentioned his name a few times

3 Mark Torrez
10 Warren Redix
13 Justin Rogers
16 Alex Fernandez
22 Ronald Awatt

I’ll look on Monday.

Ok so DeHaro was working with the first O-Line. He was pretty solid but if he’s taking over for Will that’s some big shoes to fill. #72 was on Defense but rotational and actually got handled in one play by DeHaro. Wadley did not participate in Team but did go through individual drills and 7 on 7. The first back to get work though was #24. I like him.

Kai looked the best I’ve seen him but the receivers had several drops. He takes shots downfield. Metz is very efficient again. In 7 on 7 Torres was almost picked by #2 the safety in cover 2. Then on the next throw threw very late on the deep out and was picked for 6 by #8. #8 then did a standing backflip in front of the defensive players and they went ape shit. Canales was obviously annoyed. Then the next play Torres hits #14 Rodriguez on a 65 yard post route for a TD. Rodriguez is gonna be a fan favorite this year.

In the team session, Offense was focusing on inside run. About 90% run today in Team. #24 had several big runs, #19 had a nice run as did #23. Waldley only watched this session. Overall the Team session was pretty even with the 1’s and 2’s. Couple penalties kinda slowed the action late in the period.

Big change from last year as far as execution from my attendance in spring last year. And i really liked Pease and Natkin. I think the experience and poise is really showing right now. I also think this offense has more check downs than last year. So when a route isn’t open there is always a guy to dump it off to. Also QBs are well coached as to when to change the direction of the play. It’s not gonna be a home run hitting offense but their gonna hit a lot of singles then take a shot here and there.

3 Mark Torrez
10 Warren Redix
13 Justin Rogers
16 Alex Fernandez
22 Ronald Awatt

Just a gut feeling but it wouldn't surprise me if Redix had a Lee Mays/Kris Adams type year now that there has been eye witness testimony of the pigskin floating nicely in the air above the UTEP practice turf. Just sayin' :D

Just a gut feeling but it wouldn't surprise me if Redix had a Lee Mays/Kris Adams type year now that there has been eye witness testimony of the pigskin floating nicely in the air above the UTEP practice turf. Just sayin' :D

Reddix and Kavika have been working on the outside. Both look like mature vets. They put in a workmanlike effort all the time. Reddix has made a ton plays. It’s cool to watch because when Kai is in he throws such a beautiful deep ball that you look for Reddix because he is such a deep ball threat. When Metz is in you look for Sinegal because he runs such great routes and is gonna be open on the deep out.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Reddix and Kavika have been working on the outside. Both look like mature vets. They put in a workmanlike effort all the time. Reddix has made a ton plays. It’s cool to watch because when Kai is in he throws such a beautiful deep ball that you look for Reddix because he is such a deep ball threat. When Metz is in you look for Sinegal because he runs such great routes and is gonna be open on the deep out.
How have the other receivers been looking?

I'm sorry, but there is ZERO chance that Metz is our starter come game one. ZERO. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE underdog fan and have cheered for Metz since he came out of high school, but I see absolutely no chance Dimel puts the controls of his new offense in the hands of someone that has proven nothing since he's been here.
IF I am wrong, then I feel we are in for a 2 or less win season.

Reactions: kickballpro
I am tempering my optimism when it comes to the WR corps. I am very skeptical because they are running by and putting up passing numbers vs the UTEP DEFENSE.

I am tempering my optimism when it comes to the WR corps. I am very skeptical because they are running by and putting up passing numbers vs the UTEP DEFENSE.

Needham and Beverly are very good Corners. They were bright spots in a terrible season. They may be the best corner duo in cusa. If the receivers are beating those two it's a real good sign.

Beverly should be participating, but I had read that Needham is sitting out Spring Ball(I believe he is recovering from an injury).

But some posters think that El Paso kids are not good enough, I say.BS!

There are one to three d1 prospects in El Paso each year. UTEP in most years should offer no more than two kids from El Paso. They can take as many walk ons as they want. One of the downfalls of the Kugler era was how many reaches he made on local kids. He gave too many kids with d2 ceilings scholarships.

Remember Kugler said he wanted every high school in EP represented. That is a poor way to recruit. No disrespect to any schools in the area but you can’t make that a goal. There just isn’t hat much talent in the city let alone one player from every school. You have to get the best players possible.

With this comment, you show your ignorance.

There are a FEW kids good enough for D1 programs. Kugler had a THIRD of the roster full of El Paso kids. #1 that's LAZY ass recruiting. You are only saving money in the recruiting budget by never leaving town, but on the other side, you never get the talent required to win. #2 You "attempt" to fill the stands with locals because "mijo" is playing. #3 You show you have no desire to win because you aren't even trying to get talent here.

Hence Kugler was fired.

Need to have two QBs ready. Due to injuries and lack of production, many, many teams wind up calling the bullpen for a backup.

Reactions: axingfools1
Now that spring ball is over, what this program needs is a frenetic early recruiting period this summer, followed by silence ... total silence. Nobody on the police blotter. No outbound transfers. No bar brawls. No freak motorcycle, or pick-up basketball injuries. Just a lot of sweating in the weight room, and cracking the books.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT