ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Tim Floyd's die hard supporters

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
First, please understand that I am not in any way trying to insult you or start a flame war. Until very recently I would have certainly belonged to any group labeled "Tim Floyd's die hard supporters." Floyd's tenure as our head coach, however, has not come close to living up to the expectations that I had when he was hired. After six full seasons of this, I have given up hope. I am curious as to what he has done with UTEP's program that has you still clinging to the belief that he will create the program that most of us expected.

Perhaps the answer is that not everyone's expectations were as high as my own. A case can be made that Floyd has won over 20 games in four of his six years here, and hence he has done a good job. If this is your standard, then there is no question that he has done well. My expectations were higher: I expected us to compete for a conference title most years, win more that our fair share of them, and make the NCAA Tournament a fair number of times. Instead, the best we have finished in CUSA is tied for second, in Floyd's first year using Barbee's players, and that is also the only time we came close to making an NCAA appearance. This past season, in his sixth year, he finished sixth in conference.

In his press conference the other day, he claimed that the reason that the process has gone so slowly is that he is building a program, and doing it the right way, with freshmen rather than JC and Div 1 transfers. I have multiple problems with this statement. The first is that I've seen before what building a program looks like, and this isn't it. It did seem to start that way, however: there were seven freshmen on the roster in 2011-12, oh, and by the way, there was also a JC (Malcolm Moore) and Div 1 (Jacques Streeter) transfer as well. Unfortunately, only three of those freshmen completed their collegiate careers as Miners.

It has been stated several times on this board what has happened during Floyd's tenure, with both names and numbers specified: a large number of the players that he has signed have not shown up; of those that have shown up, a large number of them never completed their careers as Miners. No amount of shouting at Steve Kaplowitz, and no amount of trying to use some hand picked statistics is going to change that. Unless you have a program like Calipari's Kentucky Wildcats, where you can bring in classes chock full of McDonalds All Americans every year, continual turnover like what we've seen under his leadership is not the proper way to build a program.

Please understand that I am not saying that every single transfer from the school can be blamed on Floyd and his staff, and Floyd is not wrong when he says that player transfers seem to be on the rise throughout the entire country. There is no doubt that any basketball coach that we hire will have to deal with problem of losing some players. The issue here is that there have been way more than a few players that have never arrived or that have moved on early under Floyd's tenure. I just can't bring myself to attribute all of that turnover to "bad luck."

The above said, here are my questions for you:

What are your expectations for the basketball program? Have Floyd's teams met these expectations?

If Floyd's teams have not met your expectations, how long do you give him to do so?

Are you concerned with the fact that a minority of the players we have signed under Floyd have completed their collegiate careers as Miners?

To what do attribute the player turnover?

Let's assume that a Doc Sadler or Tony Barbee had experienced the same issues over a six year period. Would you be this patient with that coach?

Is there anything that he has done as coach of the Miners to justify your faith in him? If not, is your faith in him based on the fact that he was Haskins' assistant or on his resume?

My thanks in advance for your answers.

I've supported Floyd, but I started losing faith last year. My main concern is I just don't see the talent level building.

As a fan, I really enjoyed watching stars like Stefon Jackson, Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone, Derrick Caracter, and Vince Hunter. Obviously, basketball is a team sport and role-players are key, but watching the stars is fun.

I hope we have some diamonds in the rough, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

This is the death rattle of the Tim Floyd era at UTEP. To quote Dandy Don Meredith in or out of context: "turn out the lights, the party's over."

Floyd has lost control of the program and himself. He needs to do the honorable thing by stepping down and letting a real coach come to El Paso. The used car salesman routine has grown tiresome.

Reactions: Metal Mania Joe
Other then this line: "No amount of shouting at Steve Kaplowitz, and no amount of trying to use some hand picked statistics is going to change that." your post is pretty fair so I'll bite and respond. Please note that I'm a supporter of Steve and I've already stated my views regarding the "Presser" event.

"What are your expectations for the basketball program? Have Floyd's teams met these expectations?" I expect to content and win our share of Conference titles and occasionally, no, make that that annually make some post season noise. No they haven't

"If Floyd's teams have not met your expectations, how long do you give him to do so?" As long as it takes and as long as we get there eventually.

"Are you concerned with the fact that a minority of the players we have signed under Floyd have completed their collegiate careers as Miners?" Floyd answered that yesterday. We are in compliance. We were in danger of not being in compliance when he got here.

"To what do attribute the player turnover?" Floyd answered that yesterday. New era.

"Let's assume that a Doc Sadler or Tony Barbee had experienced the same issues over a six year period. Would you be this patient with that coach?" Only if I saw the commitment and hard work that I see from this coaching staff.

"Is there anything that he has done as coach of the Miners to justify your faith in him? If not, is your faith in him based on the fact that he was Haskins' assistant or on his resume?" Putting together a killer staff, working his ass off to recruit the various parts needed to make us more than just competitive and seeing that he still has the fire-in-the-belly. And no, the results of all that hard work recruiting did not bear fruit. I and you know that. Why? That's really the question isn't it. And finally, no, my faith is based on the coach's (and staff's) work ethic/talent, the reality of what should have been some incredibly talented and balanced teams during his tenure and realization that we (UTEP) have suffered some horrible out-of-anybody's control attrition over the past few years. Look at football: 16 starters and all of our stars out for almost the entire season. Basketball has had more then it's share of Injuries, gambling stupidities, tampering, those dreaded transfers...but I've been at every game to suffer thru that shit. Yes, I'm a die hard but I bitch and moan at the coach's as much as anyone and I look for someone to wring their neck when we lose just like you but I'm also a realist and I believe that I'm being fair when I say that it's not all on the Coach's head.

"My thanks in advance for your answers."

Other then this line: "No amount of shouting at Steve Kaplowitz, and no amount of trying to use some hand picked statistics is going to change that." your post is pretty fair so I'll bite and respond. Please note that I'm a supporter of Steve and I've already stated my views regarding the "Presser" event.

"What are your expectations for the basketball program? Have Floyd's teams met these expectations?" I expect to content and win our share of Conference titles and occasionally, no, make that that annually make some post season noise. No they haven't

"If Floyd's teams have not met your expectations, how long do you give him to do so?" As long as it takes and as long as we get there eventually.

"Are you concerned with the fact that a minority of the players we have signed under Floyd have completed their collegiate careers as Miners?" Floyd answered that yesterday. We are in compliance. We were in danger of not being in compliance when he got here.

"To what do attribute the player turnover?" Floyd answered that yesterday. New era.

"Let's assume that a Doc Sadler or Tony Barbee had experienced the same issues over a six year period. Would you be this patient with that coach?" Only if I saw the commitment and hard work that I see from this coaching staff.

"Is there anything that he has done as coach of the Miners to justify your faith in him? If not, is your faith in him based on the fact that he was Haskins' assistant or on his resume?" Putting together a killer staff, working his ass off to recruit the various parts needed to make us more than just competitive and seeing that he still has the fire-in-the-belly. And no, the results of all that hard work recruiting did not bear fruit. I and you know that. Why? That's really the question isn't it. And finally, no, my faith is based on the coach's (and staff's) work ethic/talent, the reality of what should have been some incredibly talented and balanced teams during his tenure and realization that we (UTEP) have suffered some horrible out-of-anybody's control attrition over the past few years. Look at football: 16 starters and all of our stars out for almost the entire season. Basketball has had more then it's share of Injuries, gambling stupidities, tampering, those dreaded transfers...but I've been at every game to suffer thru that shit. Yes, I'm a die hard but I bitch and moan at the coach's as much as anyone and I look for someone to wring their neck when we lose just like you but I'm also a realist and I believe that I'm being fair when I say that it's not all on the Coach's head.

"My thanks in advance for your answers."
I think you make some valid assessments Vegas. I've been up and down on Floyd so many times, I'm dizzy. Don't know where I stand from one day to the next, although I pray for a monster season every year and would prefer that it's under Floyd. Maniac...got a question for you . You are always presenting questions to us. What is your explanation for Floyd's failures and what do you offer as a cure all?

I'm not one to make excuses but I believe that conference affiliation is now killing us. Since El Paso is on an island far away from talent we at least had a decent league that players wanted to play in. Who wants to be in this league? I understand everyone's frustration.

The funny thing about conference affiliation is that...

1. La Tech recruited its entire class playing in the WAC. In their first season in CUSA they made the conference championship game. Claimed two regular season titles.

2. MT recruited its entire class playing in the Sun Belt. They have made two out of three CUSA championship games. One won.

3. Both of those conferences are perceived to be below CUSA, even this version of CUSA.

They didn't make any excuses.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
However La Tech has as many NCAA tournament appearances as UTEP during that time. My point? They have the same problem as UTEP being in this conference when it comes down to it.

Again, when it comes down to it, it is conference affiliation and it's perceived weakness that kept La Tech out of the big dance. What good did winning those championships do? I seriously doubt you all would be happy if Floyd had the same results as La Tech, but with zero ncaa tournament appearances. I think it would be disingenuous if you say you would. Just my two cents.

I would be happy with La Tech's results. Back to back regular conference champions like in the 80s. Deepest run in NIT history then turn around and do it again.

Winning those championships and post season games would be concrete evedince that his way of handling the team still works.

I would be defending Floyd right now against anyone if he had those results. Those are the results we expected when he took the job. We would want more but for the moment we would be content with him having made some Miner post season history.

Reactions: unihorn
Floyd has nothing to do with the conference affiliation. That is Stull's responsibility. I've voiced my opinion before that we are not in a conference that offsets our other perceived (and real) disadvantages, such as geographic location with respect to other conference members. Until conference membership changes or we go independent, don't look for much improvement.

What is noticeable is the lack of talent on this team and that does belong to Floyd. I can't remember the last time we had a player who was a serious NBA prospect or who was drafted in the first round, if at all.

Living on Tobacco Road, I see ACC talent every year. Our players just do not match up with those even of the second division, lower tier ACC teams. If you think you'd like to see us play ACC teams, be aware that we would not be competitive at the present time. the NCAA selection committee sees it also. ipso facto, no tournament invites in six years under Floyd.

I'll repeat: UTEP is a special situation. In order to attract serious talent, we have to play a serious schedule. that means going the independent route, play the power conferences and get some television air time. It would probably help if the football team were to win a game or two every now and then.

MF

"Dear Lord, you made many, many poor people. I realize, of course, it's no shame to be poor. But it's no great honor, either." Tevya

Reactions: TrojanMiner
Floyd whines about the one bid league and no at large bids, well they don't give at-large bids to teams that play weak schedules, finish 6th, and lose to Norfolk, Arlington, and NMSU twice.

I think you can get into the conversation if you win on the road, don't have bad losses, and have a great record. But to say that the conference is the problem is a partial truth. No matter what conference we are in, if you finish in the middle of the league and have bad losses, you're not getting in.

Since Floyd has been here, none of his teams have been an NCAA Tourney caliber team so I don't know why he whines about at large bids all the time.His teams have been CBI level teams.

NMSU is in the same boat we are in with a weak conference. They have half of the resources that Tim Floyd has to work with. The nearest airport is like 60 miles away. But they find a way to dominate the WAC and go to the Tourney like every season. They have to deal with the transfer epidemic too, but they get it done and don't make excuses. Menzies had no problems going out and recruiting players that got the job done. If Floyd can't do good in CUSA then why do people think he would magically do amazing things in the Mountain West against much tougher competition???? We would be bottom feeders there.

I can't believe I am saying this but NMSU has a way better basketball program than UTEP does. The win/loss record against NMSU over the past 5 years doesn't lie. This really puts it into perspective on how badly Tim Floyd has performed since he has been here. Its not the transfer epidemic, its not the conference affiliation, IT IS THE COACHING STAFF. UTEP wouldn't even dominate in the WAC. Its sad to say it but its the truth.

Not a CTF Homer, but what about the responsibility and accountability of the student athlete..... They are the ones on the court, and making their life decisions...... Like I said, not defending CTF, but some of what has happened has been out of his control....

Reactions: miner1liner
Not a CTF Homer, but what about the responsibility and accountability of the student athlete..... They are the ones on the court, and making their life decisions...... Like I said, not defending CTF, but some of what has happened has been out of his control....

I can only speak for myself, but I think that most everybody realizes that there are some things that have been out of CTF,s control. What is being questioned, and scrutinized, are the things that are in his control.

One month before Moore went pro the coaches were talking about getting him an extra year of eligibility....out of touch some?

How do you not know that your best player is leaving the program? Same with McSwiggan, a month before he transferred, the coaches were talking about how great he was going to be next year. Somebody is not communicating with the team. Where is the connection?

If the players aren't loyal to the coaches then something is very wrong.

I agree some things are out of his control, but overall he knows what type of player he is getting too when he signs them. I perfect example is Buddha Jones. A few days ago at the press conference, he was saying that Buddha Jones went to 3 different high schools in 4 years, so he was pretty much saying that it is no surprise about Buddha transferring. But Floyd obviously knew this before signing him, so if Floyd was so concerned about his flip flopping all the time in high school,then why did he still choose to sign him???? 2 years ago he didn't give a crap about Buddha going to 3 different high schools when he signed him, but now its another Floyd its not my fault excuse????

Who brings in the players? If things are out of his control. Why is he head coach?

I agree some things are out of his control, but overall he knows what type of player he is getting too when he signs them. I perfect example is Buddha Jones. A few days ago at the press conference, he was saying that Buddha Jones went to 3 different high schools in 4 years, so he was pretty much saying that it is no surprise about Buddha transferring. But Floyd obviously knew this before signing him, so if Floyd was so concerned about his flip flopping all the time in high school,then why did he still choose to sign him???? 2 years ago he didn't give a crap about Buddha going to 3 different high schools when he signed him, but now its another Floyd its not my fault excuse????
It's Buddha's fault for signing with us. He should have known Floyd wasn't looking for a kid that went to a bunch of high schools, showing his propensity to transfer. I'm just glad the staff decided not to play him at all this year so they could say it wasn't a big loss since he didn't average a bunch of points when he did inevitably transfer.

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I wish that some of the other die hard Floyd supporters would have responded as well.

I am really curious as to how long is too long. If we don't compete for a title and/or an NCAA Tournament bid this year, and I personally think that the probability of us doing so is low, it will be seven years under Floyd where he has been unable to meet our expectations.

This is where I derived the comment that you didn't like, "No amount of shouting at Steve Kaplowitz, and no amount of trying to use some hand picked statistics is going to change that." Does the current era, in which player transfers are much more common than they were in the past, have something to do with our player turnover? Sure. I am not suggesting that we wouldn't have any player turnover with another coach. That's just not the case. But I am suggesting, despite Floyd's protestations at the press conference, that the turnover that we've had since he's been head coach is higher than it would be for most other coaches.

He used as his defense that last year 79 teams had at least three players transfer. When you consider that there are 351 division 1 schools, the number of teams that had at least three players transfer is 22.5% of the total number of division 1 basketball teams. And you have to wonder how many of those teams lost coaches, which always leads to an increase in transfers, versus how many kept their entire coaching staff intact? Also, this is looking at a one year slice. I would love to be able to look at a six year slice. Odds are that there are much fewer than 22.5% of the teams that have suffered through the player turnover that we have in those six years. And even with the current environment, other teams in our conference have been able to find more success at winning games than we have recently.

As others have pointed out, he also appears to have used some spurious numbers elsewhere. He claims that the team he inherited from Barbee had 11 seniors on it. It is true that he had to replace eight roster spots in his second class here. But in his first class, Caracter had already declared for the draft, and Moultrie (who was a rising junior) decided to transfer. He did have the ability to sign some players in the spring period that year that would have lessened the impact of the roster turnover the following year. But he whiffed on every player he signed. The only bright spot for Floyd in his initial off season as Miner's head coach is that he was able to convince Bohannon, a Barbee signee, to stay.

Also, many of are questioning the statement that 10 of the 17 players that he has signed who didn't show up were prop 48 players. What does seem to be true is that he has taken too many chances on high risk players.

I don't believe that anyone is questioning whether or not Floyd and his staff work hard. Of course they do. But I guarantee you that almost every single college basketball coach and their staffs work really hard to make their programs a success. The simple fact is that not all of them are successful. Not only does a staff need to work hard, they need to do a good job. And, based on the expectations for the program that you and I share, this staff has not done a good job so far. I would love for this staff to turn things around, but I just don't see it happening, and I've run out of patience.

Thanks again for sharing your viewpoint. PURPLEFIRE, Haskins Fan, and others, I invite you to do the same.

I think you make some valid assessments Vegas. I've been up and down on Floyd so many times, I'm dizzy. Don't know where I stand from one day to the next, although I pray for a monster season every year and would prefer that it's under Floyd. Maniac...got a question for you . You are always presenting questions to us. What is your explanation for Floyd's failures and what do you offer as a cure all?

I believe that the problem is simple: Floyd has not been able to sign and retain enough talent to allow us to win a CUSA championship. The reasons? Well, for one, he is constantly looking for high risk, high reward type players, and so far, his batting average on this type of player has been very poor. As to why he has a problem holding on to the players he does sign, this one is harder to answer. Many have suggested that his old school way of coaching doesn't work well with today's athlete. Maybe. I'm not at the practices or in the locker room, so I wouldn't know. I do know that being able to relate to the athletes he signs is important, as his job is dependent on it.

Reactions: LaserCoog
One month before Moore went pro the coaches were talking about getting him an extra year of eligibility....out of touch some?

How do you not know that your best player is leaving the program? Same with McSwiggan, a month before he transferred, the coaches were talking about how great he was going to be next year. Somebody is not communicating with the team. Where is the connection?

If the players aren't loyal to the coaches then something is very wrong.

I've seen more than one interview with CTF in which he doesn't seem to even remember the names of the players on the team. Hell, I remember when Jones (football) came in to help us for a stint and CTF said in an interview that he hadn't even met the kid. I think Jones was supposed to play that week too.

Disconnected much?

Not sure who else heard the interview with Julyan Stone, and his experience of CTF. It was an interesting listen, and revealed what a few of us have been saying for a while now.

First of all, he didn't trash Floyd at all. JS talked more about how TF contributed to developing a mindset that helped him during his time in the NBA. However, he did make mention of how old school Floyd is and how the modern day college bb player, due to being softer for a variety of reasons, might have trouble under Floyd. Julyan also said it might be prudent for CTF to look into his own coaching philosophy/strategy so as to be able to adapt to this generation of college athletes.

For those few of you who trashed me because of the notion I threw out there, a couple seasons ago and into this year, that I thought it was evident that there was a disconnect between Floyd and players...you can now kiss my ass! I'm not talking about those of you who just disagreed with the notion, rather the asshats who responded like dickwads. You know who you are.

http://krod.com/former-utep-guard-j...l-players-have-changed/?trackback=twitter_top

Reactions: e-rick and JCorona
Not sure who else heard the interview with Julyan Stone, and his experience of CTF. It was an interesting listen, and revealed what a few of us have been saying for a while now.

First of all, he didn't trash Floyd at all. JS talked more about how TF contributed to developing a mindset that helped him during his time in the NBA. However, he did make mention of how old school Floyd is and how the modern day college bb player, due to being softer for a variety of reasons, might have trouble under Floyd. Julyan also said it might be prudent for CTF to look into his own coaching philosophy/strategy so as to be able to adapt to this generation of college athletes.

For those few of you who trashed me because of the notion I threw out there, a couple seasons ago and into this year, that I thought it was evident that there was a disconnect between Floyd and players...you can now kiss my ass! I'm not talking about those of you who just disagreed with the notion, rather the asshats who responded like dickwads. You know who you are.

http://krod.com/former-utep-guard-j...l-players-have-changed/?trackback=twitter_top

Uncharacteristic of you to speak this way -- drunk?

Reactions: develman
Uncharacteristic of you to speak this way -- drunk?

lol. Not drunk. It is indeed quite characteristic of me to act uncharacteristically on occasion. I was just letting someone have what they deserved. Karma can be a bitch.

Okay, maybe buzzed...

lol. Not drunk. It is indeed quite characteristic of me to act uncharacteristically on occasion. I was just letting someone have what they deserved. Karma can be a bitch.

Okay, maybe buzzed...
You don't rub it in their face often, but every once in a while You just have to do what you have to do! Simply stated! Nice! :cool:

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT