ADVERTISEMENT

Rice at UTEP mbb Dec 31

Hard to be positive, Rice is probably just better and UTEP is terrible at free throws and finding ways to win. This is going to be a long season, let’s hope they get hot down the stretch.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I don't want to be negative and look so far ahead but how many wins do you see in the next 10 games? Aside from the home games vs UTSA and FIU where do we pick up 3 other wins to at least break even?

I don't want to be negative and look so far ahead but how many wins do you see in the next 10 games? Aside from the home games vs UTSA and FIU where do we pick up 3 other wins to at least break even?
With how this team plays basketball, I don't think we can even count UTSA and FIU as wins.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
But hey, Xavier beat UCONN in a top 25 battle of what could have been if UTEP had pulled their head out when they had the chance!

Sounds like I should be glad I wasn’t able to watch this one. Mannn! Another day of 50% from the stripe and damn near 20 turnovers again.

There’s a reason they call it the charity stripe. Or freebies. Except it’s charity for the other team if we go to the line.

I don't know why this hire hasn't shown better results. At this point we're basically still the same from where Terry left us.
Literally because of free throw shooting and turnovers. Otherwise they are looking better that CRT coached teams.

Even FG percentage is serviceable. If we could just shoot 65%+ from the line and average under 12-13 turnovers a game you MAY not be saying this.

This has got to be the most frustrating Utep team I have ever followed — they for size /rebounding/ heart / defense but can’t shoot and are careless with the ball

I don't know why this hire hasn't shown better results. At this point we're basically still the same from where Terry left us.
I completely disagree first off this is only his second year and second this a brand new team that has shown it can play and beat anyone in cusa with its defense —- the last three teams Utep has played who have 30 something wins between them Utep has held to 32/36/38 percent shooting —- all Utep needs to do is MAKE A DAMN FREE THROW—- and stop being so careless with the ball and those arw 3 wins — I actually like where this team is headed but ya never know with transfer portal these days what we have coming back

I completely disagree first off this is only his second year and second this a brand new team that has shown it can play and beat anyone in cusa with its defense —- the last three teams Utep has played who have 30 something wins between them Utep has held to 32/36/38 percent shooting —- all Utep needs to do is MAKE A DAMN FREE THROW—- and stop being so careless with the ball and those arw 3 wins — I actually like where this team is headed but ya never know with transfer portal these days what we have coming back
Time at a school doesn't matter anymore. The portal has created the opportunity to build a team in one off season. Terry had to wait for all his transfers to become eligible. Golding doesn't.

Yeah if only we had a better FT %. I wonder what would have been of Terry's team if they had a better 3 point %.

This is looking a lot like Terry's second year. A .500 team

Not only free throws, way to many missed shots in the paint. Some were air balls! To many times our guys put the ball down, instead of growing straight up.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Wow, can't win for losing. I'm sort of glad I missed another acid reflux game. It's a damn shame we are so poor at the basics. Make free throws and take care of the ball. We are 347 out of 352 D-1 programs in free throw shooting.

utep.svg
UTEP
south-carolina.svg
South Carolina
missouri-st.svg
Missouri St.
minnesota.svg
Minnesota

Time at a school doesn't matter anymore. The portal has created the opportunity to build a team in one off season. Terry had to wait for all his transfers to become eligible. Golding doesn't.

Yeah if only we had a better FT %. I wonder what would have been of Terry's team if they had a better 3 point %.

This is looking a lot like Terry's second year. A .500 team
I sort of disagree with that … I think you can rebuild in one offseason if your in a power conference not so much in a mid major especially with power 5 stealing mid major talent ….

Damn……I stopped listening when Rice was up 12 with like 3 minutes left and just found out by reading this thread they came back and got it to OT.

They’re gonna benefit down the road from these types of games.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
I sort of disagree with that … I think you can rebuild in one offseason if your in a power conference not so much in a mid major especially with power 5 stealing mid major talent ….
Nope. Lobos are undefeated. Had a worse season last year and lost to UTEP. It takes 1 offseason now.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah but we could say if only Terry's teams played better defense or rebounded better. This team is what it is. The shooting and turnovers won't miraculously get better. We may still win a few big games, but consistently win no. The shooting and critical thinking are just not there.

Nope. Lobos are undefeated. Had a worse season last year and lost to UTEP. It takes 1 offseason now.
That statement is a little misleading. It CAN take one off season. For the majority of programs, they don’t have a complete transformation like the Lobos in a single season. It’s the exception when that happens.

Plus, it hasn’t been one season for the Lobos. House, Mashburn and Jenkins, all starters were starters last year.
Yeah but we could say if only Terry's teams played better defense or rebounded better. This team is what it is. The shooting and turnovers won't miraculously get better. We may still win a few big games, but consistently win no. The shooting and critical thinking are just not there.
That’s the big one to me. Basketball IQ doesn’t exactly jump off the charts with this team. Shooting percentage, while isn’t great, is the highest it’s been in 4 years. Obviously not good enough to make up for poor ft shooting and an abundance of turnovers.

The typical UTEP excuse of we can beat anyone…..but we never do.

Last edited:
That statement is a little misleading. It CAN take one off season. For the majority of programs, they don’t have a complete transformation like the Lobos in a single season. It’s the exception when that happens.

Plus, it hasn’t been one season for the Lobos. House, Mashburn and Jenkins, all starters were starters last year.

That’s the big one to me. Basketball IQ doesn’t exactly jump off the charts with this team. Shooting percentage, while isn’t great, is the highest it’s been in 4 years. Obviously not good enough to make up for poor ft shooting and an abundance of turnovers.
Our 2pt % is tremendous. Why we keep shooting 3s I don't know.

I believe Pitino brought in all three of those players. Golding had the same amount of time to bring in starters that would stick around for year two or convince some of the Terry recruits to stay.

We live in a microwave world now. Everyone wants their food as fast possible.

For every example of it happening by year 2 there are 8 other of failed coaching hires.

I think Golding will get it done but not as fast as we want to.

I believe Pitino brought in all three of those players. Golding had the same amount of time to bring in starters that would stick around for year two or convince some of the Terry recruits to stay.

For every example of it happening by year 2 there are 8 other of failed coaching hires.

In my opinion, Heier also brought in better talent than Golding in his first year at NMSU, which obviously included a much later start. Golding mentioned the need to recruit guys who can fix the issues with shooting, and specifically, freethrows. I agree. At this point in their careers, guys like Givance, Hardy, and Solomon are who they are. While I don't have a great feeling for any significant consistent improvement with the freethrows this year, Golding needs to find a way to get a handle on all the turnovers. Just way too many unforced turnovers. The problem is that a ton of the turnovers are coming from his two veteran guards.

Our 2pt % is tremendous. Why we keep shooting 3s I don't know.
Agree. Good question. That’s why I say shooting is serviceable. Just stop jacking so many 3s. Start hitting MORE free throws and start giving the ball up LESS. Not asking for perfection. Just get BETTER at those 3 controllable things and the results will be reflective.

Agree with all that.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
What was the Rice head coach’s problem towards the end of the game and after the game during the handshakes?

While we shouldn’t expect the same results as a Arizona or Kentucky, their level of recruiting and results are relative to their own competition. If Arizona can rebuild their program in 1 year, so can schools like UTEP. Arizona recruits against the big boys, we don’t. They still have just as much competition and expectations as UTEP, relatively speaking.

Utah St, UNLV, UNM, and College of Charleston are all having more success with their 2nd year coach. Andy Kennedy went 27-8 with UAB last year and made the NCAAs in his 2nd season. Should UTEP fans expect that? I don’t know, but it’s certainly possible for these other schools. It does not take 4 years to be good.

Let’s not forget, we had a coach who went to the NCAAs in his 2nd season and he didn’t have the transfer portal and he inherited a mess. He didn’t even get to recruit his 1st summer like Bronzeing and all the others had.

Last edited:
Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT