ADVERTISEMENT

Rice @ UTEP game & prediction thread

Passing through the student tailgate trash lot. There's porta potties, a security railing, security guards and a big ass 30 yard empty dumpster. You know what there isn't, any drunk students littering. There we have it. UTEP spent all that money for no one to use it...

Thank you to everyone that complained last game. Hopefully you pitch in to cover the costs...

This thread would have 300 replies if UTEP got their asses kicked.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Color commentators say his shoulder is not fully healed. If this is true, love or hate Dimel, you can’t blame him not wanting to bang up his prize recruit, can you?
In my opinion, the guys playing ahead of him are better running backs. I'm glad Wadley is back. His career would have been much different without all the injuries. Next year, Hankins should see more playing time if his mom let's him stick around.

Best play calling of the year IMO. I think very would have won 1 or 2 more games playing this style
Agree . I thought the passing game actually opened up the running game in the second half. Also, I thought it was one of Hardison's best games with respect to accuracy. He had the one bad throw on the interception, but was solid with his other passes. His completion percentage was good as well.

We might not be a good team, but we are not a bad team either. Today was a big game in regards to my current judgement of Dimel. Dimel and Bloomgren both started at the exact same time(this is year 4 for both of them). Two years ago, I watched Rice beat us in the Sun Bowl and they were honestly the better team. Rice actually finished that season strong and their rebuild looked to be in much better position than ours at that point. I would have happily traded positions with them after that season if we could. Now it's two years later and it was pretty obvious that UTEP was the better team today. Dimel has built up and surpassed Rice in the past two years. Of course Rice is not the only grading measurement, but we have now collected 7 positive grading measurements this year. Even with the weak schedule, it is more than I expected prior to the season starting. There is still a lot of sloppiness that still needs to be cleaned up and everybody is in agreement that Dimel needs to turn over the play calling, but our team has been improving and is measurably better and Dimel deserves credit for that.

With only 11 Seniors, Dimel's biggest challenge for continuing to show improvement is going to be keeping his best young talent from transferring.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the guys playing ahead of him are better running backs. I'm glad Wadley is back. His career would have been much different without all the injuries. Next year, Hankins should see more playing time if his mom let's him stick around.
It seems like he’s too physical for his own good because he's always getting banged up.

Lowest crowd of the year. Can't blame the lack of wins. As this only the 7th time in the last 55 years we've had a winning season. Can't blame opponent since RICE is the longest continous conference member we've had. Can't blame ticket prices as these were cheaper than what we've had all year.

Time to get use to the fact that 30-35k is our ceiling. Maybe even less once we play in CUSA 4.0.

Is Hankins complaining? Or is his mom? Kids can’t control what dumb ass parents say.

Most of these parents are used to their kids being the shit for most of their lives and aren’t used to seeing their kids ride the pine. I saw it from parents at Iowa State and UH.

If DH is posting or saying shit, then consequences are well deserved. If it’s moms…

Lowest crowd of the year. Can't blame the lack of wins. As this only the 7th time in the last 55 years we've had a winning season. Can't blame opponent since RICE is the longest continous conference member we've had. Can't blame ticket prices as these were cheaper than what we've had all year.

Time to get use to the fact that 30-35k is our ceiling. Maybe even less once we play in CUSA 4.0.
It’s a combination of everything. You’re probably right, as getting 30k plus will not be normal unless they get off to a good start and have an opponent with a good record or name. Part of it is Kugler/Dimel, the other part is Senter.

There was a palpable excitement headed into the UTSA game and the Miners folded like a cheap suit. After that run of games it’s not hard to understand why fans didn’t come out today.

Would have been one more, but I was unable to go to todays game. Really wish I could have seen the victory.

Is Hankins complaining? Or is his mom? Kids can’t control what dumb ass parents say.

Most of these parents are used to their kids being the shit for most of their lives and aren’t used to seeing their kids ride the pine. I saw it from parents at Iowa State and UH.

If DH is posting or saying shit, then consequences are well deserved. If it’s moms…
I agree with you except that maybe the difference here is that I'm not 100% sure but believe Hankins lives with his mom. What she said is probably the daily conversations that take place at home.

Is it the play calling or the lack of completions?

Vs FAU we had 23 completions to 47 attempts. 30 rushing plays.

Vs UNT 15/29 passing. 33 rushing plays.

Vs RICE 23/35 passing. 32 rushing plays.

Defense rankings

#72 UNT
#89 FAU
#106 RICE

I think if Hardison had completed a few more passes we would have beat those teams.

Reactions: kickballpro
I think the difference is that in the Rice game we came out of the gate aggressively throwing the ball first and running second. In previous games we ran first and threw second and only when we found ourselves struggling to catch up did we "predictably " throw it over and over.

Dimel said they decided to use the full scope of their offense which is what everyone has been screaming for all year. It took eleven games for him to reach this conclusion. Did he finally read Miner Digs to get the clue?

I think the difference is that in the Rice game we came out of the gate aggressively throwing the ball first and running second. In previous games we ran first and threw second and only when we found ourselves struggling to catch up did we "predictably " throw it over and over.

Dimel said they decided to use the full scope of their offense which is what everyone has been screaming for all year. It took eleven games for him to reach this conclusion. Did he finally read Miner Digs to get the clue?
I wonder if Senter intervened... or did it really take this long to see the obvious

I think it's the Defense we were playing. We came out throwing the ball against UNT too but we're sacked on the first two attempts. That kind of set the tempo for the game.

At FAU we also came out throwing the ball and had some success with it but a lot of bad throws too.

At some point we have to get away from it's all Dimel's fault and blame who's actually on the field.

I think it's the Defense we were playing. We came out throwing the ball against UNT too but we're sacked on the first two attempts. That kind of set the tempo for the game.

At FAU we also came out throwing the ball and had some success with it but a lot of bad throws too.

At some point we have to get away from it's all Dimel's fault and blame who's actually on the field.
Well; right now we can't blame anyone for the Rice game, but we can high five several.

I didn't see him on the sidelines either last night. Does anyone know where Longino is at?

AND as mentioned before, Dimel actually said in his post game pressor after our 6th win that he was worried we would lose close games because of his offense. He was smart enough to see it, but has been too stubborn to adjust.

I liked the approach yesterday. We are a big play team so throw to open up the run. The big play off the screen and the 2nd half runs destroyed Rice. Hardison with a 65% completion rate helps as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT