ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Metz done with football

Sad to hear that. I guess I should have known, given all the times he's been knocked out of the game, but it's still shocking to read that he has suffered five diagnosed concussions. Wow. I wish Metz the best, and thank him for his unenviable service during these awful seasons. I hope and pray he doesn't suffer significant long-term health consequences as a result. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Several of us had called this at the beginning of the year given his history with concussions. It’s unfortunate to hear but it’s better that he leave the game early and not risk serious long term brain damage. The good thing is that coaches and doctors take these things seriously as opposed to 20 years ago because I can only imagine what type of shape he would be in when they used to just give QBs smelling salts and throw them back in the game. I remember hearing post game interviews with concussed QBs in the 90s and they would always say “I don’t remember going back in the game.”
Although Metz will go down as a QB that lead some porous teams, especially by UTEP standards. You can’t deny the kid’s heart, or his desire to try to win. A lot of those hits that scrambled him were usually the result of him trying to run for more yards or to extend a play. I always remember seeing that hit he took on the sideline, was it vs LA Tech a couple of years back. I just remember he got a concussion on that play, and it was written all over his face when they removed his helmet. The kid did lay it all on the line and I will always respect him for that. Not to mention he can always hang his hat on that comeback VS NMSU. God speed Metz.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT