ADVERTISEMENT

Senter starting a "UTEP Fan Council"

This is great. I wish they would include folks from outside of EP. Living here in San Antonio, I've seen tons of UTEP fans at football and basketball games. I think it would help give a different perspective.

This is great. I wish they would include folks from outside of EP. Living here in San Antonio, I've seen tons of UTEP fans at football and basketball games. I think it would help give a different perspective.

Your idea has legs, methinks, and I look for the Fan Council to take root, but the early focus will be local. Gotta win the home games, right?

I live 300 miles from campus, so you and I share the same boat.

They should include a few outta towners who can provide feedback on Miner-vision. Whether it’s the audio, the camerawork or if it’s actually working, they need someone they’ll pay attention to giving them feedback. It’s frustrating when you live out of town try to catch a few a Miner games online, pay for the service and then get a crappy feed.

I hope you ask as many questions there as you do here.
All right, burnme1, your comment is well-framed.

A penetrating question, when delivered with sincerity, goes a long way toward providing a compelling answer. For UTEP athletics, there are so many areas begging for attention (and money). This is a time for thinkers, and for doers.

I hope El Paso 1 and others selected for the Fan Council will be both.

Reactions: burnme1
Damn, I was going to sign up but I only made it to 8th grade. I'll sign up anyway and said I went to high school.

I will sign up and I will ask the following:

1. When are we going to change tailgating rules?

2. Can a Haskins son please be an assistant on the Basketball Staff?

3. Why don't we recruit more local talent?

4. Why don't we have Baseball?

5. Why can't tickets be cheaper?

6. Can there be an H and H at the Sum Bowl?

7. Parking sucks. I want parking within a 20 second walk from the Sun Bowl or Don Haskins Center and it should be free.

Good luck with that request (demand?). I've been to college venues, almost nationwide. Never have I seen free parking.

At Kyle Field, for instance, the best parking spots, as you describe, are saved for the A&M Board of Regents. Those gotrocks with reserved spaces next to the stadium elevator have been donating big bucks, for years.

What does it cost to park at Jerry's World in Arlington? Sincere question. Is it $30 for a Cowboys game?

8. Better halftime entertainment. We need magic acts, concerts, boxing fights, or maybe a monster truck show.

Now, JCorona, we're getting somewhere.

New UTEP fan council might consider women's mud wrestling, yes?

9. Better home schedule. We should be seeing teams like USC, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Wisconsin, and the likes every year at the Sun Bowl.

FYI..this all sarcasm

It's a harmless chuckle, with no victim. What's the harm?

Want serious input, as I usually do? Here'goes:

Season tickets come with a pass to the covered parking between the Stadium and the campus book store. I routinely give up my parking pass as fairly useless. Why?

Pulling a lawn chair out of your trunk, and sitting down for pre-game cold beer is forbidden.

Perhaps this aids in traffic control? Not sure. In more recent years, I give my pass to a friend on the athletic department staff, just hoof it to the Stadium. Maybe you have had similar experience, and could fill in my blanks?

Season tickets come with a pass to the covered parking between the Stadium and the campus book store. I routinely give up my parking pass as fairly useless. Why?

Pulling a lawn chair out of your trunk, and sitting down for pre-game cold beer is forbidden.

Perhaps this aids in traffic control? Not sure. In more recent years, I give my pass to a friend on the athletic department staff, just hoof it to the Stadium. Maybe you have had similar experience, and could fill in my blanks?
The sad/funny part is that most of these were actual suggestions made at the UTEP town halls Senter hosted around the city. While I’m at it let me add
10. When are we joining the MW or AAC?

Reactions: axingfools1
The sad/funny part is that most of these were actual suggestions made at the UTEP town halls Senter hosted around the city. While I’m at it let me add
10. When are we joining the MW or AAC?

Ohhhhhh.

The root of all humor is cutting ever so close to the truth.

Several of those town hall suggestions might have legs, but they all cost money, people power and/or time.

You have to admit, for all our freckles, the UTEP athletic department is getting good mileage out of the fuel supply.

9. Better home schedule. We should be seeing teams like USC, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Wisconsin, and the likes every year at the Sun Bowl.

A more attractive home schedule would, indeed, be a big attraction. Thing is, UTEP has trouble getting home games with Power 5 schools. If the Miners return to competitive level, this challenge will grow ever larger.

You see the rationale. Who wants to go on the road -- and get beat by UTEP?

So you live 300 miles away, yet you "routinely" give up your parking pass. Me thinks me smells a troll. You are averaging 19 posts a day. Even for a retired guy, that's a lot. Your writing style is not of a man in his sixties. While I do enjoy this kind of a troll more than the others, it's still too much.

So you live 300 miles away, yet you "routinely" give up your parking pass. Me thinks me smells a troll. You are averaging 19 posts a day. Even for a retired guy, that's a lot. Your writing style is not of a man in his sixties. While I do enjoy this kind of a troll more than the others, it's still too much.

Can you please give the board an example of how a man in his 60’s should “write”? Clearly, the above “writing style” does not jive with a 60 year old dude. Great detective work! I look forward to seeing an example of it. Must not be easy to tell, but of course I am not a detective.

Reactions: El Paso 1
That's easy bro. Go read something besides this message board once in a while. You'll learn the difference....or not.....whatevs....I stated my opinion, I'm done with this "discussion".

Damn, I was going to sign up but I only made it to 8th grade. I'll sign up anyway and said I went to high school.

Boy, you and shovel sure do produce the zingers.

Maybe you could pull back on some of that comedic wit, though. Shovel may start to feel inadequate as resident dimwit #2...

dont-be-such-a-jerry.jpg

He’s probably just excited to be able to actively participate with other UTEP fans. I came to this site from Miner Rush. I loved it over there but it was a little too quite for my taste. I don’t see nothing wrong with giving up a Parking pass. I give up my season tickets since I’m not able to attend the games living 600 miles away. Better for someone to make use of them instead of sitting in my desk drawer. This year might be different though. There’s a possibility I move back home.

Does it seem inconceivable, UTEPfan1966, that a UTEP grad and two-year football letterman could be a season ticket holder who lives 300 miles away? Or that he would give to local El Pasoans his spare game tickets, including a parking pass?

As for 19 posts a day? During a recent roadie, I was away from the office, so I'm quite sure my average fell. Not sure what that average means to you during your rat-smelling sessions.

But for me, it means my 92-year-old father in Colorado is not what he used to be, but still a blessing. See, some rats are loyal not only to their alma mater, but to family.

Back to the thread topic, what could the new UTEP Fan Council do to generate more interest in a student body comprised largely of commuter kids? It's a challenge for intercollegiate athletics, nationwide.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Does it seem inconceivable, UTEPfan1966, that a UTEP grad and two-year football letterman could be a season ticket holder who lives 300 miles away? Or that he would give to local El Pasoans his spare game tickets, including a parking pass?

As for 19 posts a day? During a recent roadie, I was away from the office, so I'm quite sure my average fell. Not sure what that average means to you during your rat-smelling sessions.

But for me, it means my 92-year-old father in Colorado is not what he used to be, but still a blessing. See, some rats are loyal not only to their alma mater, but to family.

Back to the thread topic, what could the new UTEP Fan Council do to generate more interest in a student body comprised largely of commuter kids? It's a challenge for intercollegiate athletics, nationwide.
Hey! Kudos on the "rat smelling session". +1

Changing tailgating rules should only happen with safety as your number one priority. Change was made for the safety of everyone. Drunkenness was out if control, and with the serious problem this city has with this, I applaud UTEP for putting safety first over partying.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Changing tailgating rules should only happen with safety as your number one priority. Change was made for the safety of everyone. Drunkenness was out if control, and with the serious problem this city has with this, I applaud UTEP for putting safety first over partying.

Makes sense. I only started back to attending home games about 5-6 seasons ago. The scope and depth of the on-campus tailgating caught me totally flat-footed.

Say this, the Miners have not been too hot in recent years, but nobody has more fun than UTEP fans. I can see where it might get out of hand -- and probably did, necessitating the regulation crack-down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT