ADVERTISEMENT

Should Dimel be fired if the Miners lose to ACU?

He won’t be fired but he should seriously consider resigning or at the very minimum returning his yearly salary back to the university.

If he gave back his salary for 2020 that’s half of his buyout. The buyout becomes manageable for UTEP.

Is Dimel a nice enough guy to do that? He seems super friendly when he’s coaching football.

Dimel is a super nice guy, but he needs to go. He is way too passive IMO. Our players and our coaches entered the game scared yesterday which is unacceptable. We need someone that can recruit and is innovative on offense. Somebody aggressive that can show confidence and a winning attitude. Somebody that doesn't constantly talk up other teams. Somebody that plays to win and plays the best players no matter what. Times a wasting, again.

Anytime you give up a TD on the first play of the game, that’s just bad preparation and coaching. Dimel should be fired/resign immediately after a loss to ACU.

This program is beyond sad. If we lose to ACU and lose the rest of the games, UTEP should drop to FCS. We can’t compete in CUSA and should try it elsewhere. Nobody expected us to beat UT, but god damn, got absolutely destroyed

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Anytime you give up a TD on the first play of the game, that’s just bad preparation and coaching. Dimel should be fired/resign immediately after a loss to ACU.

This program is beyond sad. If we lose to ACU and lose the rest of the games, UTEP should drop to FCS. We can’t compete in CUSA and should try it elsewhere. Nobody expected us to beat UT, but god damn, got absolutely destroyed

That’s where I’m at. I said UT wouldn’t be a game where we’d learn a lot about the Miners, but I was wrong and just the opposite happened. I feel like we learned a lot about the Miners. We learned how little fight there is in our head coach, and therefore how little fight there is in this team. We rolled over and surrendered before the game even started. That was an absolutely pitiful display.

Below is a quote from Dimel when he was hired:

"We will work diligently to elevate UTEP football to the highest level in Conference USA," Dana Dimel said in a Dec. 6, 2017, new release announcing his hire as Miners' head coach.

Blah...blah blah...blah blah. Forget “...to the highest level of CUSA”, I’d like to know when they’re gonna elevate UTEP fb even just a step.

Last edited:
It would make no sense to fire him in the middle of the season. There is no one on the coaching staff who is even remotely capable of replacing him as the head coach. Might as well ride him out for the rest of the season and see where you're at after that.

Reactions: unihorn
It would make no sense to fire him in the middle of the season. There is no one on the coaching staff who is even remotely capable of replacing him as the head coach. Might as well ride him out for the rest of the season and see where you're at after that.
Where we will be after that is in the same position as last year when we won 1 game.
These questions have to be asked and thought out for all those trigger happy fire people:
Do we have the $$ for the remainder of his contract?

Do we have enough for a new HC hire that would satisfy most of you (perfect hire on this board where everyone is in agreement won’t happen)?

Who on his current staff would be a ‘decent’ interim HC?

What else needs to be done for a complete overhaul of the athletic department to help make our football ($$ maker) team successful?

If we lose to ACU, yes, he should be fired but one would hope Senter and Wilson force him to resign

Besides Canales, you don’t know that. Barrick Nealy hasn’t been a FBS HC yet. Who is to say that he couldn’t do the same or better? At worst, you’re going to end up in the same damn place. Last place in CUSA.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
1.) This will be Abilene Christian’s first game. UTEP has obviously already played two. That is a huge advantage for UTEP.

2.) After spending 3+ hours working against the size and speed of Texas, to now go down to the size and speed of ACU, should make the speed of the game a half-step slower for our players and also be huge advantage.

3.) It’s still FBS vs. FCS.

4.) It’s a home game.

If UTEP can not win with these 4 advantages(in year 3 of Dimel’s program), then whatever replacement plan is currently in place should be escalated to a higher level.

Last edited:
He won’t be fired but he should seriously consider resigning or at the very minimum returning his yearly salary back to the university.

If he gave back his salary for 2020 that’s half of his buyout. The buyout becomes manageable for UTEP.

Is Dimel a nice enough guy to do that? He seems super friendly when he’s coaching football.

he’s not going to return his pay

1.) This will be Abilene Christian’s first game. UTEP has obviously already played two. That is a huge advantage for UTEP.

2.) After spending 3+ hours working against the size and speed of Texas, to now go down to the size and speed of ACU, should make the speed of the game a half-step slower for our players and also be huge advantage.

3.) It’s still FBS vs. FCS.

4.) It’s a home game.

If UTEP can not win with these 4 advantages(in year 3 of Dimel’s program), then whatever replacement plan is currently in place should be excalated to a higher level.

This is the correct answer.

We have some nice pieces right now. Think Eldridge is going to be really good. He looks quick for a True Freshman. Not going to grade this team because of a performance against Texas. Very fair to have these questions after the next 2. But there are some glimpses of good football in our future.

Besides Canales, you don’t know that. Barrick Nealy hasn’t been a FBS HC yet. Who is to say that he couldn’t do the same or better? At worst, you’re going to end up in the same damn place. Last place in CUSA.

That makes no sense to give the program to someone with very little coaching experience. All so you can get rid of somebody in the middle of the season? He's not doing any further damage to the program by keeping him till the end. It was in shambles when he got here and it's in shambles now.

Reactions: unihorn
He should. He won't. So everyone embrace the suck.

I would argue he should be fired even if they beat ACU.
2-10 together with the previous seasons is more than enough evidence to fire him.

Not going to grade this team because of a performance against Texas. Very fair to have these questions after the next 2.
Exactly! Aggressive or passive the scoreboard would have been around the same. Dimel made a “weak” move and made up his mind before the game started that he’s playing the long game. IMO it was a smart calculated decision. I’ve seen better UTEP teams try to win games like this and still get smashed to bits. I’ve seen solid G5 programs do the same. There’s examples of G5’s playing close and even beating P5’s. UTEP isn’t at that level right now. We were getting an ass beating last night no matter what our coaches did.

Reactions: EMA884
That makes no sense to give the program to someone with very little coaching experience. All so you can get rid of somebody in the middle of the season? He's not doing any further damage to the program by keeping him till the end. It was in shambles when he got here and it's in shambles now.

The program is in worse shape now than when he he got here. We're talking about a coach who is 3-23 with only one of those wins coming against an fbs school. We're not trying to replace a competent head coach. Whoever the interim would be would not be a step down from Dimel.

Let's be honest, "resigning" is a nice way of saying "you're fired, just resign so you can save face"

Reactions: picks up

You don’t know that. Every coach got their break somewhere. At one point Dimel, was never a head coach. That’s why we are who we are. UTEP didn’t take a chance in 2017, that’s why Dimel is here. Maybe Nealy is the next Lou Holtz. You don’t know.

The program is in worse shape now than when he he got here. We're talking about a coach who is 3-23 with only one of those wins coming against an fbs school. We're not trying to replace a competent head coach. Whoever the interim would be would not be a step down from Dimel.

I would prefer to have some wins over having no wins. The team was 0-12 when he got here. Not sure how much worse it could get, but I don't think this is it.

You don’t know that. Every coach got their break somewhere. At one point Dimel, was never a head coach. That’s why we are who we are. UTEP didn’t take a chance in 2017, that’s why Dimel is here. Maybe Nealy is the next Lou Holtz. You don’t know.

Well by that logic Dimel could be the next Belichick or Carroll. Both of them stunk before they finally figured it out. 2 years and 2 games is not enough time to make an educated decision on a coach. If the program was in all kinds of turmoil I could see your point. These young men are still battling for him, the d line and the secondary just needs better coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I would prefer to have some wins over having no wins. The team was 0-12 when he got here. Not sure how much worse it could get, but I don't think this is it.

That’s fine, I guess. Those wins over Rice, HBU, and SFA, you’re going to talk to your grandkids about those wins in 2050? We’re doing just barely above the bare minimum. Every other FBS school has done better than us over the last 3+ seasons, including ones that didn’t even have programs ten years ago!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Well by that logic Dimel could be the next Belichick or Carroll. Both of them stunk before they finally figured it out. 2 years and 2 games is not enough time to make an educated decision on a coach. If the program was in all kinds of turmoil I could see your point. These young men are still battling for him, the d line and the secondary just needs better coaching.

Except Dimel is a proven loser who went 0-11 one year at his previous HC stop

You're crazy. Mike Price took over week 6 and in energized the team to a 15-14 loss. Other than that game, we lost EVERY game by at least THREE touchdowns.

We were competitive once.

He should. He won't. So everyone embrace the suck.

I would argue he should be fired even if they beat ACU.
2-10 together with the previous seasons is more than enough evidence to fire him.

I have a feeling that’s what we’re gonna have to do for two more years AFTER this one. I can only hope Senter goes out the door with him. What a mess!

My take from the game is that Dimel's game plan was, "I know we're going to get the sh__ kicked out of us, so let's just be as vanilla as possible; don't risk injuries and don't reveal any of our razzle dazzle offensive schemes".
If we continue to need a calculator to count the missed tackles and continue to run an unimaginative offense; then yes indeed "get outa here!".

My take from the game is that Dimel's game plan was, "I know we're going to get the sh__ kicked out of us, so let's just be as vanilla as possible; don't risk injuries and don't reveal any of our razzle dazzle offensive schemes".
If we continue to need a calculator to count the missed tackles and continue to run an unimaginative offense; then yes indeed "get outa here!".

Leaders are supposed to inspire and motivate. We fans have the defeatist attitude cause we’ve seen shit from UTEP football all our lives. If the head ball coach comes out with that attitude wtf are the players gonna do? It’s his job to motivate the team and FIGHT! What upsets me about Hankins not starting is that he came to a gun fight with a butter knife. Come heavy or don’t come at all.

What pissed me off the most was the lack of tackling. The lack of any kind of imagination on offense. Didn’t have to show a lot but there needs to be some variety.
I am glad that he took his starters out, but he could have been aggressive for at least a half. The players knew they were going into that game with coaches who didn’t care about the outcome. If their coach doesn’t give a damn why would they.
As bad as our previous coaches were they still came out and said they went out to win the game. They knew they weren’t going to, but they still tried to install fight.
That defense effort was embarrassing. I think most high school Qb’s could have completed over 50% against the defense scheme Cox instituted.

What pissed me off the most was the lack of tackling. The lack of any kind of imagination on offense. Didn’t have to show a lot but there needs to be some variety.
I am glad that he took his starters out, but he could have been aggressive for at least a half. The players knew they were going into that game with coaches who didn’t care about the outcome. If their coach doesn’t give a damn why would they.
As bad as our previous coaches were they still came out and said they went out to win the game. They knew they weren’t going to, but they still tried to install fight.
That defense effort was embarrassing. I think most high school Qb’s could have completed over 50% against the defense scheme Cox instituted.

Couldnt agree more. The tackling was the worst I've ever seen. The arm tackles, the diving, the poor angles it was god awful.

I agree 100% percent. Everyone who saw that game expected The Miners to die, but from the first play they showed absolutely no discipline and even less dignity in that loss. It annoys me that just like Kugler, Dimel seems to be loyal to his boys to a fault. Eff this buddy-ball bs. If someone’s got to go, they’ve got to go. As Miner fans we’ve seen it for too long. Stull was too loyal to Floyd and Kugler. Kugler was too loyal to his coaches, and now Dimel is going on year 3 with his guys. The absolute least Senter should demand a sacrifice to the football Gods. Either a coache’s head or his own.

You're crazy. Mike Price took over week 6 and in energized the team to a 15-14 loss. Other than that game, we lost EVERY game by at least THREE touchdowns.

That game may have been the saddest of them all. Our kicker missed what, 3 field goals including the worst miss I've ever seen on the potential game winner.

Also when WKU got that 2 point conversion they had the receiver caught before he could even cross the line of scrimmage and didn't tackle him

The last game of Kugler's tenure against Army was the most competitive of the year. They were within one touchdown of Army's best team of the modern era (10-3) in the fourth quarter. They lost 35-21. The next week against WKU was about winning for their beloved former coach. While the fans were off the Kugler bandwagon the players loved him and still do. Mason and Natkin were coaching that team. Mike Price was a figurehead. I feel sorry for Mike he was put in an impossible situation. The coaches didn't want him there. The players didn't want him there. He had no impact of the game. The last bad decision of the Stull era. He put Coach Price in a terrible and unfair spot. He should have made Mason the interim and let that shit show end without any added unneccessary drama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT